sidewaysgaze

Why Tom wasn't at the Emmy Awards - his reply.

Yes, I had posted a thread that I deleted, about Tom going to the Emmys, because he was planning on attending - but then I watched the Red Carpet and show and didn't see hide nor hair of him. I did see Patricia, looking lovely in black, but no Tom... :(

So, anyway, I asked him why he wasn't there and this is his reply:

"I actually had mushroom poisoning. I ate a mushroom out of a friends garden and got so sick I had to be rushed to the hospital. By the time we got to Emergency I was sweating and pale and having trouble breathing. They rushed me into the ER and ripped my shirt off and stuck a needle in my arm. Meanwhile I was puking my guts out into a fire engine red bucket I had brought from my laundry room. It wasn’t normal puking, it felt like someone was ripping through my guts with a hot, rusty saw blade. Nurses were shouting questions at me, but I only had one word answers – Mushroom. White. Thomas. Jane. Every time I puked I thought I was gonna see pieces of my stomach in the bucket. They gave me some anticonvulsant drugs and something to calm my stomach and after a while the pain in my guts started to subside and I passed out. Woke up and everybody was gone. The pain was gone, but I couldn’t really move. Fell back asleep. Woke up again and a doctor told me I had eaten a ‘gastrointestinal irritant.’ No shit. He said I’m lucky, because the other white round mushroom causes liver failure inside two days and then you’re dead. When he left I ripped the IV out of my arm and unhooked myself from the EKG and tucked my robe in like a shirt and hobbled out of there. Patricia’s brother came and picked me up. Screw hospitals. They kill ya, ya know. -TJ"

Jeez Tom, you have to take of yourself! :o Eat only chemical-based, plastic-wrapped, irradiated food, and you'll be fine....

No, seriously, I hope you're all recovered now and never eat another mushroom in your life! ;)

Jen

"gastrointestinal irritant"... now there's the understatement of the year. Jeez

Okay after reading that I never want to eat another mushroom again. Hope you're doing better Tom!

Aaron

Guest AdminGuyX

And I bet you thought you were just going to see pretty colors and feel floaty after eating it.

Bet your friend feels like shit though.

:wacko:

Nurses were shouting questions at me, but I only had one word answers – Mushroom. White. Thomas. Jane.

I. Just. Want. Kids. Back.

eek!...I like mushrooms but after reading that im not sure bout em anymore..lol

poisonous mushrooms? gastrointestinal irritants? liver failure?....jeez....sounds horrible. but still, bollocks to that, no match for captain indestructable. nothing a pint of guiness won´t sort out.

got this image of TJ marching out of emergency still in the gown, puke down his front, cigar in his mouth, IV trailing behind him and a load of doctors begging him to go back to bed...but he just strolls out into the sunlight ignoring them and growling about how he´s "got work to do pal"

What's scary too, at least to me, is how are you supposed to know off-hand what a "good" white mushroom is and a "bad one, you know? I mean, usually Nature gives certain signals for toxic things, like making them brightly colored or smelly, etc... as a waring sign - like the wildly-colored tree frogs or black 'n' yellow salamanders...

Which leads me to an old question Tom answered at one point, about what pets he had, and he said something to the effect that he has a pet salamander named Sally, who is black 'n' yellow (I think) -- and now I'm wondering if he's joking or is he really has what I think is called a fire salamander, which has poisonous skin...

Which leads me to when I had an Ecology class and we went into the forest on occasion, and one time I lifted up a log and saw one of those bright yellow and black salamanders, and I was so excited that I wanted to pick it up, and I turned for a moment to tell someone about it, and, zip, it was gone - and good thing, because they're poisonous! :lol:

Ok, end of storytime...

Jen

i. ate. lots. of. mush. rooms. in. the. 70s.

Tom should just stick to the ones they add to pizza!

Oh, my God, that is so horrible that Tom got so sick, especially right before the Emmys. I'm sure Patricia would have been much happier with him there with her. No wonder she didn't look like she wasn't having a good time that night. I was really bummed about her not winning, but now I feel terrible that Tom was so sick that night, on top of everything else. She must have been worried sick as well.

Hope you're feeling better, Tom. Take care of yourself.

What's scary too, at least to me, is how are you supposed to know off-hand what a "good" white mushroom is and a "bad one, you know? I mean, usually Nature gives certain signals for toxic things, like making them brightly colored or smelly, etc... as a waring sign - like the wildly-colored tree frogs or black 'n' yellow salamanders...

Which leads me to an old question Tom answered at one point, about what pets he had, and he said something to the effect that he has a pet salamander named Sally, who is black 'n' yellow (I think) -- and now I'm wondering if he's joking or is he really has what I think is called a fire salamander, which has poisonous skin...

Which leads me to when I had an Ecology class and we went into the forest on occasion, and one time I lifted up a log and saw one of those bright yellow and black salamanders, and I was so excited that I wanted to pick it up, and I turned for a moment to tell someone about it, and, zip, it was gone - and good thing, because they're poisonous! :lol:

Ok, end of storytime...

Jen

Well, let's face it. Tom lives on the edge and allows danger to attack him at any time. Hell, I heard his toaster is a death trap :rolleyes:

Kinda off the Tom-subject, but related to mushrooms and movies, there's a movie called Dark Harbor (Alan Rickman and Norman Reedus) and there's a tension-fraught mushroom scene in that movie! :lol:

I just wanted to mention it, since it's not very often that poisonous mushrooms figure into the plot of a movie...or maybe I'm mistaken?

Jen

Speakin of mushroom scenes, Jack Black munchin on forest 'rooms in Tenacious D was fun to watch. Unlike TJ, he ended up in the strawberry river with sasquatch.

-TL

Rofl man we were talking bout that in class the other day. lol

I thought of another movie with a mushroom-related scene. I think it's called Past Midnight, and it starred Rutger Hauer as a guy who we don't know if he's good or bad, and it may have been a TV movie, or a straight-to-video movie, and I forget who the main actress way, but there's a scene (I think! It was so long ago when I saw it!) where Rutger Hauer is chewing on a mushroom and then he passes the mushroom to the girl by kissing her - but we (and she) are not sure if the mushroom is poisonous...something odd like that, but it did leave an impression on me since I vaguely remember it. :lol:

Jen

Well we have alot of little white mushrooms in our woods. And we call them toadstools. They are very poisinus. But I sure as shit am not eating any mushroom unless it comes from a package. No way No how. :blink: