YOUNG X-MEN

origin1950

Apparently the rumors are true, and a year before the release of the first X-MEN prequel they're getting some exposure.

Australian actor Tim Pocock, will be playing a 20 year old Scott Summers in next Summer's X-Men Origins: Wolverine...

timpococktp3.jpg

Many questions rose from the casting of Taylor Kitsch as Gambit a few months back, but this oughtta put everything to rest. It appears FOX's next prequel will focus primarily on the formation of Xavier's school for the gifted. The timeline that was previewed in the beginning of X3, some 20 years prior to the death of both Jean Grey and Scott Summers.

Josh Schwartz will be writing the script and the question remains, will Patrick Stewart return in his de-aged CGI form?

x3cgibjg4.jpg

A young Jean Grey was also introduced in X3, played by 13 year old Haley Ramm. Perhaps she'll make a comeback as a 17 year old Jean?

haleyrammrw7.jpg

I love the idea of making a Young X-Men film, but I'm also very much interested in X-MEN 4. I truly hope this project is not FOX's way of saying The Last Stand was the last stand.

-TL

I figured I'd do a runthrough of all the X-MEN prequels FOX has in store for us in the not too distant future...

MAY 1 2009 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine (The century long tale of the immortal mutant that remains Marvel's greatest anti-hero and his battle against his blood-brother Sabretooth)

2010 - X-Men Origins: Magneto (The story of a young mutant who would use his powers to avenge the death of his parents at the hands of Nazis in WWII and his rendezvous with the visionary Charles Xavier)

2011 - Young X-Men (Charles Xavier began a haven for the oppressed mutants of North America. Little did he know, that in the end one of them would atomize his body)

2012 - X-MEN 4 (Iceman, Angel, Shadowcat, Colossus and Rogue must follow in the footsteps of their fallen leader Charles Xavier. Ironically that same leader is now taking footsteps [literally] in Northern Ireland)

I can say in advance, that each and every one of these movies will be more interesting to me than anything else Marvel can produce. FOX wins this round in my opinion.

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX

Can't say I have a lot of feelings about these projects one way or the other. Have to wait and see if they happen I guess, and how they shape up individually.

Wolverine I am very excited to see, but the others are too far from being reality for me to get interested in.

The Young X-men will probably be geared for kids, and by 2012 man, they will probably have to recast all the roles.

Personally, I always feel that prequel projects are limited endeavors since you already know where the characters end up, it's hard to have surprises.

What makes you think the X-Men are getting recast?

Ben Foster only agreed to play Angel in X3 because FOX gave him a 3 picture deal that promised some character development for him.

Those same 3 picture deals were also given to Vinnie Jones, Ellen Page and Kelsey Grammer.

These guys knew they were getting limited screentime in X3 but didn't care because they also knew that once the older cast was outta the way, they'd return for prominent roles in future films.

Angel has a great opportunity to grow in X4 and also inevitably fall to the dark side...

benfosterisangelww5.jpg

-TL

Angel in X-3 was some of the best stuff, espicially when he was a kid. I've been hoping that we see Archangel in the future, not only because of the character, but because of all the X-Men villians, Apocolypse is my favorite.
Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, I agree, Angel should of had a bigger role IMHO.

I didn't like X3 though, I thought it was pretty terrible actually. The leads carried the film as best they could, and thank God for that or it would have been a total wash.

And the recasting comment was just a "probably" TL, because 4 years is a lifetime in hollywood, and we have no idea who'll be taking the creative mantle for the franchise, or how much the intended actors will be asking for 4 years from now.

The new creative team might want to make the next X-men film about Cable stepping in for Xavier, and using all new mutants to fill the team.

Ya' just never know.

Ok Noeland, I see what you mean about the future being uncertain.

I loved X3 and stand by that despite the general [purist] consensus.

A small percentage of people, specifically the purists, despised X-Men: The Last Stand. The ultimate slap in the face to that small percentage was being pointed out a small percentage as X3 brought in $234 Million making it the 5th highest grossing Marvel film, 4th highest grossing film of 2006 and the 7th highest grossing comic book movie of all time.

Tim Bradstreet dropped his thoughts on X3 in the SUNSHINE thread, they clearly show he's part of that small percentage...

"I can't get on any kind of X3 bandwagon either. Aside from the characters I already love from the first two there was nothing there. It felt like entire chunks of that film were missing, and it seemed badly edited. And a few good lines don't rescue something that doesn't hold a candle to the previous films. It looks great, granted. And Brett Ratner may be a player, but directing Rush Hour shouldn't hand this guy instant credibility. Red Dragon paled in comparison to Manhunter, Silence Of The Lambs, and even the not so universally accepted Hannibal. And it BOASTED the acting talents of Hopkins, Norton, and Ralph Fiennes. I did enjoy After The Sunset but only because it was a fun little romp that didn't pretend to be something it wasn't. Brosnan, Hayek, Harrelson, and Cheadle are simply fun to watch. Ratner just seems to me to be a guy that can get the job done on budget and play the studio game. I don't hate him personally or anything, and I'd love to see him prove me wrong and do something genuinely good. X3 ain't it. All I'm saying here is that just because the characters we love are up there on screen, played by actors we enjoy, it shouldn't mean we have to like it if the rest of the thing falls flat. To me it's definitely more disappointing when you have all that in place and it still doesn't work. We should demand more if Hollywood is going to continue to pump out sequels and remakes. Just because we are a fan of the first or second film, it shouldn't give a studio license to phone it in. We pay for it cause we gotta know. We're suckers. But if it doesn't cut the mustard then stop supporting it on DVD or otherwise. Because THEN the formula works, and Hollywood will say, hey, we know Fantastic Four, or X3, or Ghost Rider was a joke, but consumers are buying the DVDs in DROVES. We made an assload of money on this stuff so we totally have a market for even substandard crud! This is a big reason why Hollywood LOVES us comics fans. Sure, a lot of the material is unmined (that's the positive), but we're also fucking MARKS, because bad taste knows no bounds. And man oh man are we good for opening weekend box office. And right now? Opening a film has become EVERYTHING to the bean counters."

What I say to the general purist criticism towards X3 is, "If its so bad, why is it I pop it into the DVD player more than the other two?"

I feel the negativity towards the film comes from areas with no real argument against it. Its clearly the most dramatic of the trilogy and also contains the most action. It builds from a story Singer set up during the first film and its bold and grounded enough to have casualties. The acts of heroism in X3 are amazing and the impending sense of doom spread out throughout the entire film culminates perfectly through Ratner's execution.

-TL

• 2 months later...

A new development ocurred last week that I find very interesting...

FOX has adquired the rights to the X-Men: First Class series.

If you try looking up X-MenFirstClass.com - you will be redirected to FOX's site.

A series based on the Young X-Men...

yxbtg1.jpg

What's unclear at this point is whether or not FOX is rebooting the franchise Synger started in an alternate universe or if they are simply using the title X-Men: First Class.

What makes it a reboot is the presence of Iceman and Angel as original members of the team.

In the Synger continuity - Beast, Cyclops, Storm and Jean were the first X-MEN.

Perhaps FOX can work around all this and keep things on the same track.

Emma Frost (Tahyna Tozzi) which is being introduced in X-Men Origins: Wolverine is the first clue.

FOX may replace Iceman and Angel with Emma and Gambit (Taylor Kitsch debuts as the Cajun in Wolverine).

There are also rumors that Banshee is up for consideration. His daughter Siryn (Shauna Kain) was featured in both X2 and X3.

What doesn't sit well with me is the fact that Cyclops and Jean were VERY weak in X1.

To even consider they'd had prior adventures seems like bullshit to me.

Storm I can see having had some action though.

Let's see what happens in 3 years...

-TL

It is Fox. They don't nessicarily have what's best in mind for the franchise as far as original source material is concerned. My guess is that they wanted to use the title and will throw in whoever is "interesting" at the time. When it comes down to it, it's $$$, and X-Men delivers on that end.

Guest FADoss

Another film that doesn't do anything for me. If they do a Young Xmen, it should be to continue doing X films with the younger actors who don't want $10M+ a film. :) Greedy bastards. A reboot would just be dumb since we already have an established continuity in the film and they are planning #4 still.

The only character I look forward to seeing the backstory on is Wolverine.

Fred

I hope they stick to the continuity.

We saw hints of this film in the intro to X3 with Xavier and Magneto recruiting students.

It'll also give Beast a chance to interact with Xavier more.

Cyclops will also have more to do without Wolverine around.

-TL

That is if they just use the title and not try to do live action based on the cartoon. My daughter watches the show and Wolverine and Storm are teacher along with Xavier, everyone else (including Kitty and Nightcrawler) are teenagers.

Guest AdminGuyX

Shit, TL I never replied to you here either. Sorry again. Totally forgot about this one.

I do have some pretty strong reasons for my feelings about X3 though, and they are not from a "purists" point of view. Just a guy at the movies.

More soon.

• 3 months later...
Twentieth Century Fox is gearing up to continue its "X-Men" franchise with a younger set of mutants.

Studio has tapped "Gossip Girl" creator Josh Schwartz to write "X-Men: First Class."

Schwartz, the creator and exec producer of CW's teen sudser hit as well as Fox's youth-centric "The OC" and NBC's "Chuck," is expected to inject a next-gen sensibility into the superhero series, which has earned $1.2 billion worldwide.

Continue reading:

http://www.variety.com/VR1117996099.html

Archived