Tim Bradstreet

Non-Mainstream Film

"God bless America...they're going to need it."

Two punks live in Salt Lake City. The film covers their all-day routine. The realism of the character-narrated movie may be discussed. One of the punks gets ill, stays in hospital for three weeks, comes out again. Three parties are covered and one concert including a fight between punks, rednecks and others.

This film was groundbreaking for me, it changed alot in me but also made me love independent film that much more. It really had alot going for it. Great cast, great story, great music and great direction. Also, it's the one film I can honestly say I like Matthew Lillard in.

JO

The first thing I thought of when I saw the poster in your post was "Oh Fuck, Matthew Lillard."

I'm getting to the point where I despise him.

I was helping out a friend and watching her 15 year old one afternoon and we rented some movies. He wanted to see In the Name of the King so I rented it and I watched it with him. The movie is ambitious garbage and the worst thing about it is Lillard's performance. Still, I've been intrigued by the idea of SLC Punk. I've almost rented it several times but still have not caught it. Lillard was pretty much the main reason for that. I'm so completely sick of the same character from him. But I'm almost inclined to give him another shot based on your statement. Almost ;) I want to see this film but I can't bring myself to spend money on it. Hopefully I'll run across it on cable and give Lillard his day in court.

All I can say to Primer is that if someone compares your film in ANY way to 2001 and Kubrick, it better be awfully fucking damn good. I'll check this out soon. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, has anyone else here besides J O'B seen a film that was made before nineteen eighty fucking five? You guys are killing me ;)

- TB

The first thing I thought of when I saw the poster in your post was "Oh Fuck, Matthew Lillard."

I was helping out a friend and watching her 15 year old one afternoon and we rented some movies. He wanted to see In the Name of the King so I rented it and I watched it with him. The movie is ambitious garbage and the worst thing about it is Lillard's performance. Watching him try to act is like being caressed by maggots ;) Still, I've been intrigued by the idea of SLC Punk. I've almost rented it several times but still have not caught it. Lillard was pretty much the main reason for that. I'm so completely sick of the same character from him. But I'm almost inclined to give him another shot based on your statement. Almost ;) I want to see this film but I can't bring myself to spend money on it (because of Lillard). Hopefully I'll run across it on cable and give Lillard his day in court.

All I can say to Primer is that if someone compares your film in ANY way to 2001 and Kubrick, it better be awfully fucking damn good. I'll check this out soon. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, has anyone else here besides J O'B seen a film that was made before nineteen eighty fucking five? You guys are killing me ;)

- TB

Tim, I didn't watch this film for several years because of that ass-clown. But my best friend, who loves good cinema like we do, told me to check it out simply because the film is a good independent piece that has alot of layers. I said, "Hey, I don't like that Matthew Lillard fucker in movies!" To which he replied, "Who the fuck is Matthew Lillard? And so what! Fuck Lillard, watch the film and ignore him." So I did and I can say to you here and now that I was glad I did.

Primer, watch the trailer then the film. Fuckin' amazing.

JO

I was helping out a friend and watching her 15 year old one afternoon and we rented some movies. He wanted to see In the Name of the King so I rented it and I watched it with him. The movie is ambitious garbage and the worst thing about it is Lillard's performance. Still, I've been intrigued by the idea of SLC Punk. I've almost rented it several times but still have not caught it. Lillard was pretty much the main reason for that. I'm so completely sick of the same character from him. But I'm almost inclined to give him another shot based on your statement. Almost ;) I want to see this film but I can't bring myself to spend money on it. Hopefully I'll run across it on cable and give Lillard his day in court.

- TB

Hey now, the Pusher Trilogy are fucking great recent crime films.

Don't misinterpret the spirit for which that last line was meant. Hence the winky wink.

I'm just having fun wit yoos ;)

J'OB - Yeah, I know. I just wanted to rant about Lillard a little bit cause he drove me crazy in that Statham movie.

I don't seriously hate the guy. He drives me a little nuts though ;)

I'll do my homework on Primer. I respect your film taste so I'm sure I'll thank you.

Mike, you've been raving all over about the Pusher Tril, you've made me very curious to check those films out.

I've more than once, even prior to your advocacy, been poised on the edge of renting one. The box art on the DVD had me intrigued.

Gonna give that stuff a shot too. Thanks for the inspiration to take the next step.

- TB

_primer.jpg

"If you always want what you can't have, what do you want when you can have anything?"

I don't want to reveal anything about this film other than these facts.

1) The film was made for around 7 grand.

2) The Director is also the writer, producer, music advisor and main actor of the film.

3) The story is fucking mind-blowing.

4) Fuck everything you think you know. It will be erased from existence and replaced with what you want most.

JO

Primer was mind blowing. It took me a while to wrap my head around it because at the time it seemed like only light-weight fair was coming out. This one took me by surprise. This film alone shows that you don't need a large budget to make a great film. Is it worthy of a Kubrick comparison? I thought so. Not so much visually, but emotionally yes. This is one not a lot of people like, but it's worth a watch.

As for SLC Punk, it's great. The only Lillard film I can watch him in.

Forgive the double post (this post is also a new thread topic), but I feel the Non Mainstream halls would benefit from this addition.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently read a review of this film that had a great line in it.

I think it bears repeating - (paraphrasing)

"Mamet's Spartan is an intelligent and entertaining spy thriller which puts fantasy fare such as the Bourne Identity to bed".

And while you can count me as a fan of the Bourne Trilogy I also have to agree with this statement.

If you missed Spartan, here is some info -

Spartan - 2004 - (It's not about Ancient Grecian Warriors).

Written and Directed by David Mamet

Starring Val Kilmer, Derek Luke, Tia Texada, William H. Macy, Ed O'Neil, and Clark Gregg.

Also including a wonderful who's who of Mamet regulars.

Cinematography by Juan Ruiz Anchía

Music score by Mark Isham

Spartan_movie.jpg

I almost want to say nothing else, as when I first viewed this film I knew almost nothing about it.

I'd seen a trailer months earlier and when I finally got a chance to see it everything I had seen before was a vague blur.

I only knew I had to see it. I even completely forgot that it was a Mamet film (though I figured that out pretty quickly).

Suffice it to say, Spartan is something different in an entertainment world where many action thrillers are about guns and explosions and certain bad acting, this is more about the characters. If you like films that treat you like you already know what you need to know, and then proceed to show you things that you don't, then Spartan is a film that you should enjoy thoroughly. It's intense as hell and keeps you on the edge of your seat (for me, literally) without resorting to formula bullshit.

Kilmer, through Mamet's direction and crisp script has gives us a character that is so exemplary, pensive, and good at what he does that he is the paradigm that all others in his line of work strive to emulate. There is no hesitation with him. He is driven and he is stone cold serious. He uses his considerable talent and training with extreme prejudice. Arguably his best performance since Tombstone, though Kilmer has a lot less "character" to hide behind here, which to me makes it even more impressive.

Derek Luke and Tia Texada also give wonderful performances.

The Cinematography is slick without being too slick. Juan Ruiz Anchía paints it crisp and spare, though rich, the perfect compliment to the narrative.

Mark Isham's score is likewise understated and yet compelling and extremely powerful. It never overwhelms the drama and action. Again, the perfect compliment.

Tired of the same old crap at the video store?

Just walk in and find Spartan.

- TB

Death Line AKA Raw Meat

rawmeatod0.png

Directed & Written by: Gary Sherman

Starring: Donald Pleasence

I've been meaning to write about in this thread for a while, and because I waited so long some of the finer points about this film have slipped me. Death Line is a kind of a weird little movie that revolves around the decedent of workers who were trapped after a cave in while working on the London Underground who have survived through cannibalism.

The movie is far from perfect, it's at times a bit of a mess. But the two things worth noting about this movie are Donald Pleasence who is just great and entertaining in it and this nice long panning shot of the Man's caved in home.

Tim you finally get around to checking out the Pusher Trilogy yet?

Alas, not yet.

But they are firmly stacked in my hit list.

How have I managed to miss RAW MEAT?

Is it available on DVD?

Sounds like I'd love it, cause I love stuff like this.

And I love Donald Pleasance, may he rest in peace.

- TB

Yeah, it's available on DVD. I actually caught it a while back on TCM Underground, which TCM needs to bring back, other wise how else are people going to be able to see such films as this or The Apple?

Hopefully I'm not hyping up the Pusher Trilogy too much, but I just love those movies.

The poster for RAW MEAT is in the perfect spirit of Shock Festival.

I just sent it over to Stephen, though I'm sure he's seen it. Probably owns it ;)

- TB

The poster for RAW MEAT is in the perfect spirit of Shock Festival.

I just sent it over to Stephen, though I'm sure he's seen it. Probably owns it ;)

- TB

It's also great because, the description on it is really nothing like film and there isn't a gaggle of half naked cannibal women. It's a classic exploitation poster.

Haven't done one of these in a while......

1. The Killer (1989)

Starring Chow Yun-Fat, Danny Lee, and Sally Leh. Directed by John Woo

A disillusioned assassin accepts one last hit in hopes of using his earnings to restore vision to a singer he accidentally blinded, only to be double-crossed by his boss.

xin_2921004091354312413210.jpg

2. Blind Fury (1989)

Starring Rutger Hauer, Brandon Call, Randall "Tex" Cobb, Terry O'Quinn, and Nick Cassavetes. Directed by Phillip Noyce

A blind Vietnam vet, trained as a swordfighter, comes to America and helps to rescue the son of a fellow soldier.

24480-large.jpg

-Raffi

Haven't done one of these in a while......

1. The Killer (1989)

Starring Chow Yun-Fat, Danny Lee, and Sally Leh. Directed by John Woo

A disillusioned assassin accepts one last hit in hopes of using his earnings to restore vision to a singer he accidentally blinded, only to be double-crossed by his boss.

xin_2921004091354312413210.jpg

2. Blind Fury (1989)

Starring Rutger Hauer, Brandon Call, Randall "Tex" Cobb, Terry O'Quinn, and Nick Cassavetes. Directed by Phillip Noyce

A blind Vietnam vet, trained as a swordfighter, comes to America and helps to rescue the son of a fellow soldier.

24480-large.jpg

-Raffi

I love Blind Fury, it's like The Last Action Hero but not as deep and thought provoking.

Just joshin'. It really is awesome....Blind Fury, not The Last Action Hero.

Las Action Hero was fun as a child.

Street wanted me to shed some light on this next film, so here we go.

The Ballad of Jack and Rose (2005)

balladofjackqc7.jpg

A film written and directed by Rebecca Miller

Starring The Great Daniel Day Lewis

Camilla Belle

Catherine Keener

Paul Dano

Ryan McDonald

Jena Malone

Jason Lee

and Beau Bridges

Its a shame that I didn't see this on the big screen, and to this day I am still kicking myself for that.

*This is why I try to watch as many films as possible when they're in theatres. I consider the in-theatre experience to be unmatchable, for it provides a certain concentration difficult to achieve through other means.

There Will Be Blood sparked a sudden interest in Daniel Day Lewis for me, that was always there in a subconcious level.

I decided to embark on a quest to watch all his films, starting with his first real breakthrough in My Beautiful Laundrette (1985).

From February through August I had reached The Boxer (1997), which I am also going to be talking about in a later post.

Last month I finally got my hands on The Ballad of Jack Rose.

What an excellent and touching drama.

Its films like this that truly aleviate the stress that is life. They provide you with an exit to your daily routine of work and bills, transporting you into the stressful life of others, which for some reason seems more interesting because its not happening to you. And also because it builds the idea in your mind that you are not the only one that's feeling a bit worn out. I find that relaxing.

The film follows the lives of Jack (Lewis) and his teenage daughter Rose (Belle), who live on a secluded Island in a cottage.

The place itself is as much of a character as Jack and Rose are.

It has become "Heaven on Earth" for these two people, and naturally because Paradise is something magical - the last thing you would want is to lose it, or fall from it.

Both of these things are happening to Scottish Jack.

Development companies are threatening the establishment by building condos next to the cottage.

This not only poses a serious ecological threat to the environment Jack and Rose live off of, but it also endangers the peace and harmony that surrounds the two by introducing the element of society to their very free-going methodology of living.

The real painful struggle for Jack is a much darker one.

He learns he is dying and seeks out a mate that can both take care of him and eventually take care of Rose.

He finds Kathleen (Keener), who is more than willing to take this burden out of love for the man.

The problem is Jack has kept Kathleen a secret from Rose, fearing her dissaproval.

Coming to the end of things, he invites Kathleen to move in with him and convinces Rose it is just an "experiment" that she should be open minded about.

Rose decides to engage on a mission of rebellion against Jack, feeling both betrayed and jealous.

That rogue behavior is further fueled by Kathleen's two teenage sons, Thaddius - the drug using monster (Dano) and Rodney (McDonald) - A kind and respectful closet case homosexual hairdresser that is the exact oposite of his brother.

Once these 5 people begin to live under the same roof, the blissful heaven that was once the cottage, has now become a place of hate, dishonesty and betrayal.

I truly recommend this film to those that are open to an honest story about family and love.

Its simplistic and exciting, but manages to keep you on your toes the entire time.

A quality which I feel is much too associated with multi-million dollar action films today.

Daniel Day Lewis once again proves why he is regarded as such an amazing actor and Paul Dano displays the skills that most definitely got him two roles in There Will Be Blood.

-TL

Street wanted me to shed some light on this next film, so here we go.

The Ballad of Jack and Rose (2005)

balladofjackqc7.jpg

A film written and directed by Rebecca Miller

Camilla Belle

Catherine Keener

Paul Dano

Ryan McDonald

Jena Malone

Jason Lee

and Beau Bridges

Its a shame that I didn't see this on the big screen, and to this day I am still kicking myself for that.

*This is why I try to watch as many films as possible when they're in theatres. I consider the in-theatre experience to be unmatchable, for it provides a certain concentration difficult to achieve through other means.

There Will Be Blood sparked a sudden interest in Daniel Day Lewis for me, that was always there in a subconcious level.

I decided to embark on a quest to watch all his films, starting with his first real breakthrough in My Beautiful Laundrette (1985).

From February through August I had reached The Boxer (1997), which I am also going to be talking about in a later post.

Last month I finally got my hands on The Ballad of Jack Rose.

What an excellent and touching drama.

Its films like this that truly aleviate the stress that is life. They provide you with an exit to your daily routine of work and bills, transporting you into the stressful life of others, which for some reason seems more interesting because its not happening to you. And also because it builds the idea in your mind that you are not the only one that's feeling a bit worn out. I find that relaxing.

The film follows the lives of Jack (Lewis) and his teenage daughter Rose (Belle), who live on a secluded Island in a cottage.

The place itself is as much of a character as Jack and Rose are.

It has become "Heaven on Earth" for these two people, and naturally because Paradise is something magical - the last thing you would want is to lose it, or fall from it.

Both of these things are happening to Scottish Jack.

Development companies are threatening the establishment by building condos next to the cottage.

This not only poses a serious ecological threat to the environment Jack and Rose live off of, but it also endangers the peace and harmony that surrounds the two by introducing the element of society to their very free-going methodology of living.

The real painful struggle for Jack is a much darker one.

He learns he is dying and seeks out a mate that can both take care of him and eventually take care of Rose.

He finds Kathleen (Keener), who is more than willing to take this burden out of love for the man.

The problem is Jack has kept Kathleen a secret from Rose, fearing her dissaproval.

Coming to the end of things, he invites Kathleen to move in with him and convinces Rose it is just an "experiment" that she should be open minded about.

Rose decides to engage on a mission of rebellion against Jack, feeling both betrayed and jealous.

That rogue behavior is further fueled by Kathleen's two teenage sons, Thaddius - the drug using monster (Dano) and Rodney (McDonald) - A kind and respectful closet case homosexual hairdresser that is the exact oposite of his brother.

Once these 5 people begin to live under the same roof, the blissful heaven that was once the cottage, has now become a place of hate, dishonesty and betrayal.

I truly recommend this film to those that are open to an honest story about family and love.

Its simplistic and exciting, but manages to keep you on your toes the entire time.

A quality which I feel is much too associated with multi-million dollar action films today.

Daniel Day Lewis once again proves why he is regarded as such an amazing actor and Paul Dano displays the skills that most definitely got him two roles in There Will Be Blood.

-TL

This film is fuckin' amazing. I loved it. Day-Lewis, Belle & Keener all did wonderful jobs on this film as well as all the other players, but their performances really stick out.

JO

As promised, here are my thoughts on The Boxer (1997)

theboxerbh9.jpg

Directed by Jim Sheridan

Written by Terry George and Jim Sheridan

Emily Watson

Brian Cox

Gerard McSorley

and Ken Stott

This is one of the few films I rented and ended up buying the day after.

Its probably the best depiction of life in Northern Ireland and channels some of the best Irish dialects I've ever heard in a film.

*At times I had to switch on the english subtitles just to understand what they were saying.

The Boxer is the story of Danny Flynn, an IRA recruit that gets locked up after a very common attack on the British government.

Over a decade later, Danny is released and not just from prison, but from his loyalty to the organization.

He decides its a life that was never worth living, a battle that was never worth fighting.

To specify that change of heart, Danny goes back to the source.

He returns home by crossing the sniper guarded gates that lead into IRA turf and plants a flag that challenges the very same men he was locked up to protect.

Naturally, Danny is not welcomed the way one would expect.

He isn't regarded as a soldier coming home, but instead as a traitor to the cause - a cause that spills innocent blood everyday of the week.

The first score Danny settles is with the man who taught him the one skill nobody could incarcerate him from ---> Boxing.

Ike Weir (Stott) had been training Danny since he was a young lad.

Once Danny fell victim to the promises of glory from going to war with the British, Ike took up a new sport by drinking in record numbers.

The two men realize that despite the conflict outside, there was always room for hope in the ring.

With unclarified permission from the Outfit's main man Joe Hamill (Cox), Danny and Ike rebuild the old gym and begin to attract all kinds of attention - both political and dangerous.

But in between the jumping rope, the shadow boxing, the speed bag, Danny is stirring up an even bigger pot.

His old flame, the woman he lost to "The Cause" lurks around the gym, watching him, expecting him to clear the air with her.

Maggie Hamill (Watson) isn't just the Boss' daughter, she's the wife of yet another man locked up for the sins of a blurry rebellion.

To add to that, she is the mother to that man's son.

The two embark on a quest to be together, a quest that the rest of the neighborhood regards as blasphemy.

Harry (McSorley), the monster of the film, the man who sacrificed his son to the cause, makes his mission to punish Danny for returning home and for being free.

The irony.

A war ensues within the walls of this "unified" front, between a man fighting for love and a man fighting for war.

This film was a joy to watch.

The pace is subtle and quiet. Story prevails over action. Character develops through stillness.

Very few films today have the intelligence to provide you with an intro as exciting as its climax.

This film has that and its not done to make you jump, its there to make you feel the story, to make you live it.

I understand the message that was conveyed here. The question it was asking.

What is real freedom?

Check this one out when you get a chance.

-TL

Bella - 2006

Directed by Alejandro Gomez Monteverde

Writing credits

Alejandro Gomez Monteverde, Patrick Million, Leo Severino

Cast:

Eduardo Verástegui ... Jose

Tammy Blanchard ... Nina

Manny Perez ... Manny

Ali Landry ... Celia

Angélica Aragón ... Mother

Jaime Tirelli ... Father

Ramon Rodriguez ... Eduardo

I thought justus9-1 had a good comment on IMDb:

"Executive Producer Steven McEveety (Braveheart, We Were Soldiers, Passion of the Christ) has put his efforts behind another sure winner, (this one without Mel Gibson) and with newcomer director/writer Alejandro Gomez Monteverde, and a cast of relatively unknown actors.

This is an intelligent and emotional film, with the action interwoven between flashbacks and the developing plot line. Because of this storytelling method, it is nearly impossible to give much detail of the story without a spoiler.

The movie centers around Nina, a young, unmarried waitress at a Mexican restaurant who finds herself pregnant and out of a job after coming in late to work several days because of morning sickness. Jose, the restaurant's chef, is taken by Nina's plight and becomes her sole confidant. Jose helps her walk through her decision on what to do with her pregnancy. In the process, he bears secrets from his own mysterious past, which reveal his tenderness and passion for her and the child she is carrying.

The film stars Eduardo Verastegui (the Mexican Brad Pitt), and Tammy Blanchard, each performing in only in their second movie role. They are excellent both individually and in their interactions with each other. You're sure to see more from both of these rising stars.

A believable script, quality acting, and effective cinematography, music, and sound kept my attention from start to finish. I had no expectations from this film and came away truly impacted--A very powerful piece of cinema. No wonder this rookie work shocked all the big name pictures to win the top prize at Toronto Film Festival."

What I liked most about this film is that it realistically portrayed real people with real problems who are still able to help other people with real problems. It doesn't hit yu over the head, but it gives you something to think about for a long time.

k-skye

13 Tzameti

13tzametixr6.png

Directed & Written by: Géla Babluani

Starring: George Babluani

I figured since the remake has been announced starring Mickey Rourke and Jason Statham, I would toss the original one up on here.

I saw this movie a year ago, it's a black & white French film about about an underground Russian roulette contest. 13 men get in a circle and point guns at the back of each others heads and pull the trigger, there are three rounds and with each one more bullets are placed in the guns, and well I'm sure most people know how you win at Russian roulette. The is about a young man named Sébastien who desperate for money kinda falls into the game.

Now I think 13 Tzameti is really good movie, but it falls short of being great. The beginning of it is just boring and slow, but once it gets going with Russian roulette, I don't think I've seen a film with such great tension, I was on the edge of seat during those scenes. And then the second problem is the ending, which just kinda, blech.

Géla Babluani is directing the remake, and he's said he doesn't want to make a carbon copy of the original film. So hopefully those two problems will be fixed. As long as he gets right to the game, and just ramps up the tension like the original, and doesn't fuck up on the ending, it could be better than the original.

And Mickey can't really erase the memory of the original, as not many people have seen it.

Let the right one in -

letrightonepost.jpg

I watched this yesterday and to my surprise it had so much to offer in terms of cinematography and narrative then I had expected. It was quiet refreshing to see the vampire genre being taken into an innovative direction embodying rudiments of adolescent romance and horror.

The story revolves around a lonely 12 yr old boy named Oskar… with no friends he is easily singled out at school and bullied on a habitual basis. Upon meeting Eli, a young girl who moves in next to Oskar, a companionship is swiftly developed and consequently leading them both down a disconcerting path.

I really don’t want to giveaway to much information but I recommend this film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/

Let the right one in -

letrightonepost.jpg

I watched this yesterday and to my surprise it had so much to offer in terms of cinematography and narrative then I had expected. It was quiet refreshing to see the vampire genre being taken into an innovative direction embodying rudiments of adolescent romance and horror.

The story revolves around a lonely 12 yr old boy named Oskar… with no friends he is easily singled out at school and bullied on a habitual basis. Upon meeting Eli, a young girl who moves in next to Oskar, a companionship is swiftly developed and consequently leading them both down a disconcerting path.

I really don’t want to giveaway to much information but I recommend this film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/

I've been waiting to see this for some time now. Finally it looks like the States will get it. Steve Niles has been talking it up for quite a few months now.

Yeah, Niles has been singing about this film for over a year now.

Still haven't been able to see it.

Any word on a region 1 DVD release?

- TB

Nothing on DVD, but it looks like there are limited releases in theaters across the country. Strangest damned thing I've seen for dates. Go to www.lettherightoneinmovie.com and under the theater tab there is a schedual for dates.