Tim Bradstreet

Non-Mainstream Film

I've so far gone with primarily older films.

Here's a new one i hope you don't miss.

Thank the gods I was given the opportunity last night to finally see David Mamet's REDBELT.

The film stars the amazing Chiwetel Ejiofor in a stellar, reserved (necessarily) performance that deserves an Oscar look.

Though unfortunately I'm sure his work will be passed over when it comes to the announcements this year. Just not the kind of performance that Hollywood actually recognizes come awards season. Subtlety is almost always overlooked by the Academy and regular citizens alike.

Ejiofor's character, Mike Terry, is an idealist, a man standing up for what is right instead of taking the easy way out. He says almost all he needs to say with his eyes.

And those eye's can look at you with the most startling sincerity. They are a window to his soul, and his soul is that of the true essence of the honorable warrior.

Mamet knows the game and the game in question is Jiu-Jitsu.

IMDB member, "babubhaut" hits things squarely on the head with this account -

"Mamet has followed up his solid thriller Spartan with a drama of intelligence that only he can capture. Complete with the trademark, metered language—every word timed and delivered with precision—this tale may be billed as a mixed martial arts actioner, but it is so much more. The sport itself lends heavily to the plot for sure, but rather than with its moves and choreography, it is the underlying sense of honor that becomes the central focus. Beginning as a straight-forward drama of faith and morality, culminating into what appears to be this Jiu-Jitsu instructor's big chance at success and wealth to keep his fledgling gym in business, Mike Terry soon gets the rug pulled out from under him, fast and hard. I will admit to not having expected the sharp turn of events halfway through as everything Mike Terry has built his life upon ends up leading to his demise, eventually finding him on the edge of throwing all he believes in away forever. A film of respect and sacrifice, greed and deceit, Redbelt goes places you will not be ready for, yet it is handled deftly, causing all the machinations to fall into place and show their true worth in the progression of the story. It all happens for a reason; life sometimes deals you pain and leaves you in a choke hold about to lose air, but as Terry tells his students, there is always an escape."

redbelt-poster-big.jpg

Why oh fucking why does a film of this quality get lost? I lose such complete faith in my fellow human "movie going" beings.

REDBELT opened on 1,379 screens for one week and made barely a million dollars.

Week two saw that screen total drop to 932 screens and that week's take drop to under $400,000.00

By the third week it was relegated to 82 screens, by week four that had been cut in half.

I can only pray that it does better on DVD.

Obviously Sony Classics did VERY little to promote this film and it's a real shame.

This is a film with a heart and a soul, there is a pure underlying message, but Mamet never hits the viewer over the head with it.

It's an amazing film that I hope some of you will discover for yourselves.

Amidst all the crud we get handed there are some real gems. Unfortunately we are often left to find them on our own.

If you love real stories and honest cinema then I urge you to see REDBELT.

- TB

Here's some that are kinda hard to find. If you can find them, do yourself a favor and get them.

1. Night on Earth (Winona Ryder, Rosie Perez, Giancarlo Esposito, Armin Mueller Stahl).

night-on-earth.jpg

5 Cab rides all over the world happening at the same time. Written/directed by Jim Jarmusch (Dead Man, Ghost Dog)

2. Closet Land. Stars Alan Rickman (Die Hard 1, Harry Potter) and Madeline Stowe (Unlawful Entry, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves) as the only two actors in the movie.

closetland.jpg

Stowe is a children's book author who is kidnapped in the middle of the night and dragged to an unknown location where she is being accused of writing books to subvert children against the government. Rickman is her interrogator/torturer. Total mind fuck. VERY difficult to find this movie in video stores.

3. Death and the Maiden. Stars Ben Kingsley (Transsiberian, Ghandi, Sexy Beast) and Sigourney Weaver (Aliens).

death_and_the_maiden_1994.jpg

Weaver plays a woman in another country who is paranoid and afraid to go outside of her house. Her husband who is in politics has a car accident on the way home and a stranger gives him a lift. The stranger (Kingsley) comes to the house with him, and upon hearing his voice, Weaver believes this is the man who made her the way she is. Who tortured her and raped her and beat her years prior. Sure that he is the torturer, and the cause of her being the way she is, she takes him hostage and decides to turn the tables on him, demanding that he confess. But does she have the right man?

All three are indie movies. Not wide releases, and not very easy to find. I'm sure they are all (mostly) on Netflix.

All three of those films are pretty goddamn good.

But for those ready to explore Jim Jarmusch I heartily suggest you start at the beginning of his filmography and work your way to the present.

In order -

1. Permanent Vacation (1980)

2. Stranger Than Paradise (1984)

3. Down by Law (1986)

4. Mystery Train (1989) - My favorite

5. Night on Earth (1991)

6. Dead Man (1995)

7. Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999)

8. Coffee and Cigarettes (2003)

9. Broken Flowers (2005)

Jarmusch's newest film, The Limits of Control, is currently in post production and stars Bill Murray, John Hurt, and Tilda Swinton.

- tb

All three of those films are pretty goddamn good.

But for those ready to explore Jim Jarmusch I heartily suggest you start at the beginning of his filmography and work your way to the present.

In order -

1. Permanent Vacation (1980)

2. Stranger Than Paradise (1984)

3. Down by Law (1986)

4. Mystery Train (1989) - My favorite

5. Night on Earth (1991)

6. Dead Man (1995)

7. Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999)

8. Coffee and Cigarettes (2003)

9. Broken Flowers (2005)

Jarmusch's newest film, The Limits of Control, is currently in post production and stars Bill Murray, John Hurt, and Tilda Swinton.

- tb

Yeah I saw Closet Land on cable when I was in high school and thought it was pretty good. I rarely find anyone who's even HEARD of it much less seen it.

As for Jarmusch's films, the only ones I've seen are Night on Earth, Dead Man, ghost Dog and Coffee and Cigarettes.

Didn't care for Dead Man, but I really REALLY liked Night on Earth. I liked Coffee and Cigarettes as well. Glad to see him use Isaac Bankole again (the French driver in Night on Earth, talking to the blind woman). Ghost Dog was cool as well. I'm a hip hop fan so it was nice to see that.

Tim, have you seen the movie Two Girls and a Guy? Written/directed by James Toback.

Robert Downey Jr. is BRILLIANT in that movie. I thought he should have been nominated, but as others have pointed out his role (much like his criminally award-deficient role in Less than Zero) he seemingly is "playing himself".

Fantastic movie though. Hopefully it'll get released to bluray but I don't hold my breath over that.

First of all. AWESOME thread. I've seen lots of movies, but not even half of these listed. :)

Being from Norway and all, I thought I could recommend some movies from here. It's very unfair comparing Norwegian films to the mighty american ones regarding budget and so forth. But this one might challenge some of its time.

De Dødes Tjern (Lake Of The dead/The Lake Of The Damned) (1958)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051569/

dedodestjern.jpg

This is probably not a "non-mainstream" movie, since it was very popular when it came out in Norway in 1958. But it is a low budget movie. The thing is, there weren't almost made any movies at all over here in the 50s, lots of economical issues was the main problem. But by the late 50s stuff looked better and they wanted to make a movie, and chose Andre Bjerke's horror novel from 1942 (Bjerke also stars in the movie as Gabriel Mørk(means "Dark" in English) the writer. So it was kind of the first movie over here to garner any success nationwide. My dad remembers seeing it in the local small cinema back then, when he was 11, and he told me people were terrified by it. I guess it had the same effect on people as Jaws did regarding people not wanting to swim in the ocean. But here, people became afraid of even walking by forest lakes, and not to mention swimming in them!

I've only seen this movie once (when I was around 11-12 years old), but this movie still haunts me to this day (now I'm 24y.o.). I still haven't had the opportunity to rewatch it, but it's got to do with the fact that it's not out on DVD yet. Why did it affect me that much? It might be that I was young when watching it, but I think it's more because of the dark depressing story.. I guess you can call it an film noir movie in a cabin-by a lake-in the woods kind of way. It's just a true classic psychological horror/thriller. At least it felt like that for me. It's a small, but unforgettable movie. If they just released it on DVD....

Just found this clip on youtube from it. And yeah, it's still got that creepy effect on me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mqSNPhsvpM...feature=related

Translation:(don't remember who plays who, other than Henki Kolstad and the names being mentioned in the clip).

They have just reached the lake by the cabin, and Bernhard speaks.

Bernhard:"Idyllic! by far not as gloomy as I'd imagined, well on a second thought" looking in the water as if to fall. Laughing it off, but sees Lillian staring at the lake.

Bernhard:"Lillian, what is it? are you sick? Lillian!"

Lillian: "Oh, it was nothing, it just was something so.. so strange"

Guy walking towards her: "what is so strange friend? (It's directly translated friend, but I think it is more meant as "honey" in this context.

Lillian: "You guys would just think it's ridiculous, but I just have the strangest feeling..." Guy:"of what?"

Lillian: "Of being here before.. I recognize this place.. the rotten tree stump sticking up from the water, the 5 lilies forming a half circle, though there is something different.. I don't know." Looking at one of the guys.

Guy holding her: "You've probably seen a similar lake like this before, at least I can't tell the difference between small forest lakes like this, isn't there something called dejavu? Imagining seeing something from before."

Bernhard: "Yes, it says so in Schjeldrup's Psychology (probably a known school/academic book in Norway) don't remind me of that. I remember one time we." Then the wife of Bernhard appears by the lake.

Bernhard "No! Look at that, what are you up to? You're an exhibitionist?(not directly asking, but more wondering and expecting her not to be so "out of control")."

Sonja: "I've always dreamed about bathing by a troll-lake in the moonlight.

Bernhard: "No you shouldn't do that, you could get cramps!".

Lillian: "Sonja you shouldn't.".

Bernhard: "I might become a widower!" (he's clearly the foolish "comic-relief" guy in this story.) While she swims he says "And we even have a bathtub at home".

The guy next to Bernhard says: "I would have to compliment you on choice of wife Bernhard. She has a string of abilities (or traits) that you don't have. She is among other things, brave."

Bernhard: "I've often taken cold showers. At least sometimes."

Bernhard is played by Henki Kolstad, one of Norway's most famous actors which sadly passed away this year. :(

Den Brysomme Mannen (The Bothersome Man) (2006)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808185/

bothersomeman.jpg

This really is one of the pearls of Norwegian films in my opinion. But it's literally unknown by people over here. It didn't last long in the movie theatre. And it's def not a commercial made movie either. It is kind of an sci-fi movie... without the aliens and flying cars. But maybe mystery is a better fitting genre for it. It's very hard to explain what it's about without spoiling anything... I can't even adequately compare it with any other movie I've seen... it might be a bit like 1984, and a bit like Stalker and Brazil.... Though you shouldn't take that for a fact... But if you like that kind of movies, I think this would be spot on.

Here's a trailer with subtitles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMRs6ogq8LU

Guest AdminGuyX

A film I have always gotten a major kick out of is John Frankenheimers DEAD BANG starring Don Johnson, and William Forsythe.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097166/

It's the "true" story of Jerry Beck and his up and down investigation into the world of white supremists that was eventually taken over by (and given credit to) the FBI.

Has some great action scenes it, lots of drunken, angry sarcasm, and just a little bit of tragedy. And the gunplay in the film is well done.

I don't think too many folks remember it, and maybe it's just a guilty pleasure of mine, but recently I was reminded to go back and watch it again when Fred and I started to hatch some new story ideas.

:)

I haven't seen DEAD BANG in ages...I remember it ...kinda, I know I liked it and that Don Johnson barfed a lot in it from his hang overs...now I got to pull it out and watch it.

Watched THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS again last night. Damned good flick.

Just saw a *ahem* Promo copy of this last night. Very funny quirky comedy. I would think it'd be rated PG-13 in the USA as it's rated UK12 overseas. Very little cursing, and aside from a ridiculously hilarious sex scene that comes in second only to the one in Shoot em Up, I think as for most ridiculous in recent cinema, there's not much to warrant more than a pg-13.

It's called The Baker and stars Damian Lewis (NBC's Life, Dreamcatcher, Band of Brothers) and Michael Gambon (Harry Potter, Ali G Indahouse and a ton of other movies).

ca-baker.jpg

A hit man has second thoughts about his career and seeks refuge from his boss by finding work as a baker in a rural Welsh village.

Guest AdminGuyX

That poster makes me think romantic comedy. Must be one of those "quirky" hitman movies.

That poster makes me think romantic comedy. Must be one of those "quirky" hitman movies.

Yeah it's kinda like that. Kinda like a light hearted hit man comedy. Think Grosse Pointe Blank but Irish. lol

I just saw War, Inc., starring John Cusack, Marissa Tomei, Ben Kingsley, and some more people. It's sort of a spiritual successor to Grosse Point Blank, in a few ways, but it's different. It's a lot more political. I watched it, I found it really good, and I didn't really understand why critics didn't like it, or why it was a failure at the box office. It was really good.

war-inc-stills-01.jpg

Nice call Arsh.

I need to catch this film.

Is it out on DVD yet?

- TB

PS - Also enjoying the Norwegian film posts, Nighthawk.

That stuff looks real interesting.

I just watched the Pusher Trilogy, they're fucking great. I highly recommend everyone see these movies, especially Tim, if you haven't seen these movies, you need to ASAP, I think you would love them. I've quickly become a fan of Nicolas Winding Refn, he's got a crazy looking movie called Bronson coming out, that I can't wait to see.

Pusher

P.jpg

Directed by: Nicolas Winding Refn

Written by: Jens Dahl and Nicolas Winding Refn

Starring: Kim Bodnia as Frank, Mads Mikkelsen as Tonny, Laura Drasbæk as Vic, Zlatko Buric as Milo, Slavko Labovic as Radovan

The first in a trilogy of danish crime films. Pusher is about Frank a low to mid level drug dealer who gets into deep shit with his supplier Milo. The movie is basically a week in Franks life as he tries to get shit straightened out with Milo but keeps descending further and further down.

Pusher II

With Blood on My Hands

PII.jpg

Written by: Nicolas Winding Refn

Starring: Mads Mikkelsen as Tonny, Leif Sylvester as The Duke, Kurt Nielsen as Kurt the Cunt, Øyvind Hagen-Traberg as Ø, Anne Sørensen as Charlotte, Maria Erwolter as Gry, Ilyas Agac as Mohammed

Pusher II follows the character Tonny who was pretty much just a side character in the first film as he is released from jail and tries to connect with father while finding out that he himself has child. This one is probably my favorite out of the trilogy, it makes Tonny who initially seems like an asshole in the first film into quite the sympathetic character.

Also, worth noting is the John Carpenter like like score that pops up in this movie between the rock and euro-trash pop music.

Pusher 3

I'm the Angel of Death

P3.jpg

Written by: Nicolas Winding Refn

Starring: Zlatko Buric as Milo, Marinela Dekic as Milena, Ilyas Agac as Little Mohammed, Vanja Bajicic as Branko, Kujtim Loki as Luan, Ramadan Huseini as Rexho, Slavko Labovic as Radovan

Pusher 3 follows a day in the life of Milo the Serbian drug lord who was a side character in Pusher and had a small cameo in Pusher II. Pusher 3 is probably the lightest of the trilogy as it's about Milo planning his daughter birthday party, trying his hand at selling ecstasy that was mistakenly sent to him instead of heroin and not giving into the stress and staying sober. Like I said it's probably the lightest in the series but by the end it goes to quite the dark place. Like Tonny in Pusher II, it also does quite the good job of making you feel sympathy for this person whose done some horrible things.

Though one thing I had issue with was some of the subtitling, my Croatian is pretty bad but when Milo says something that translates to "a dog fucked your mom" the subtitles were way off. But outside of a few instances it translations seemed close enough.

And finally, check out the trilogy trailer.

Time and Tide

Timeandtidedvd.jpg

Tsui Hark's (imo) best film to date...and thats saying alot. Hell, I dig this movie over John Woo's early bullet ballets.

this movie is so underated, it makes me puke a little...

Just watched this and was pleasantly surprised. odd that it was a STV. There's lots of crap movies that get theatrical releases, and yet this didn't.

It was renamed to "The Lazarus Project"

Stars Paul Walker (Fast and the Furious), Lambert Wilson (The Matrix Sequels), Piper Perabo (Coyote Ugly) and Shawn Hatosy (Alpha Dog)

Very good flick. Moves a bit slow a times but nothing wrong with that.

476802tt0464041_largecover.jpg

A History of Violence -

I'll be honest when I say that this movie instantly scored points with me with the mafia/ gangster undertones, as well as the realistic and at some points excessive violence. I've met a lot of people who still haven't seen this movie so it deserves a wider audience, plus Ed Harris is such a bad ass. Great movie.

Probably one of David Cronenberg's best movies.

history_of_violence_ver2.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399146/

Yeah, not so "non-mainstream" ;)

If it wasn't Viggo and Ed Harris then it probably wouldn't have received the attention that it did.

At least 95% of anything Cronenberg does would be considered non-mainstream, but both History Of Violence and Eastern Promises were almost automatically more mainstream because of Viggo's popularity.

Still, even though they are a bit more mainstream, both films deserve to be seen by a wider audience, so the subtitle to our thread applies here for sure.

- TB

HARD CORE LOGO

Hcl.jpg

4 guys - 5 nights - 3000 miles - 764 gallons of gas - 987 bottles of beer - 3457 cigarettes - 1 last shot.

Canada's greatest film ever!

This flick is the epitome of non-mainstream due to missing the festivals, shame.

But I guarantee this film will have you laughing, pulse pounding, and the all mighty inevitable "whoa cool' ending.

Part of this is an excerpt from a post I made in the Western Movies thread.

Lonely Are The Brave (1962)

Directed by David Miller

Written by Edward Abbey (Story) and Dalton Trumbo (Screenplay)

Starring Kirk Douglas, Walter Matthau, Gena Rowlands, and Michael Kane (not Caine).

Lonely Are The Brave was never really given a chance by Universal. Non-existent marketing and a gas stop at the box office pretty much sealed it's fate. Douglas must have pissed somebody off. Still, it's amazing that it hasn't resurfaced and received the attention it deserves with a release on DVD.

See more about that by clicking the link above.

It's no secret that Lonely Are The Brave is Kirk Douglas' favorite of all the films he has done. And with good reason. The character development is outstanding, and it's arguably Kirk's finest performance.

I'll let Joe Doherty tell you more -

"Kirk Douglas is terrific in the story we all know and love of the free spirited latter day cowboy who resents the convention and restrictions of modern times. All he wants to be is an individual and refuses to be labelled or fenced in (the wire cutters he carries in his saddlebag gets plenty of use). On the run from the law because of a misdemeanour he takes to the hills with his faithful horse in an attempt to escape into Mexico. It is one of Douglas's more likable roles! Being alone for a good portion of the film he dominates the screen. It is an admirable and engaging performance plus his expert handling of the horse is quite remarkable. Giving excellent support is Walter Matthau as the compassionate sheriff in pursuit who secretly hopes the cowboy makes it over that mountain, John Schillart as his conscientious deputy and in only his second movie role George Kennedy as a vicious guard.

Sharply photographed in black & white Panavision by Phil Lathrop the film, based on the novel "The Brave Cowboy" by Edward Abbey is splendidly written by Dalton Trumbo. David Miller - a director who never really distinguished himself except maybe with "Sudden Fear" in 1953 - surprisingly did a nice job in the director's chair and composer Jerry Goldsmith provides a wistful score in one of his outstanding early efforts."

If you think you've seen everything that's worth seeing, but you haven't yet seen Lonely Are The Brave, you are in for a treat.

LonelyRtheBrave.jpg

Like I mentioned, this is not available on DVD region 1, but if you are as meticulous as I am with your research and attention then you may be lucky enough to find the unedited widescreen presentation airing on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) on occasion. That's the way I finally had to see it. Turner lists their schedules on their website. If anyone out there spots a time when the film is airing please, please let us know. Start a thread and let us know.

- TB

_slc_punk.jpg

_slc00n5up.jpg

"God bless America...they're going to need it."

Two punks live in Salt Lake City. The film covers their all-day routine. The realism of the character-narrated movie may be discussed. One of the punks gets ill, stays in hospital for three weeks, comes out again. Three parties are covered and one concert including a fight between punks, rednecks and others.

This film was groundbreaking for me, it changed alot in me but also made me love independent film that much more. It really had alot going for it. Great cast, great story, great music and great direction. Also, it's the one film I can honestly say I like Matthew Lillard in.

JO

_primer.jpg

"If you always want what you can't have, what do you want when you can have anything?"

I don't want to reveal anything about this film other than these facts.

1) The film was made for around 7 grand.

2) The Director is also the writer, producer, music advisor and main actor of the film.

3) The story is fucking mind-blowing.

4) Fuck everything you think you know. It will be erased from existence and replaced with what you want most.

JO