Tim Bradstreet

Non-Mainstream Film

Save the Green Planet!

savethegreenplanetdp7.jpg

Written and Directed by Jang Jun-hwan

The basic plot is like this Byeong-gu is a man who believes that aliens are going to attack and destroy the Earth and that his boss is one of them. So what he does is he kidnaps and tortures him for information on how to stop the attack, that's about all I'd like to say without getting to more detail, it's a really great South Korean movie. Plus it has what I would say is the creepiest use of "Over the Rainbow." Also, the end credits sequence is really nice.

Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995)

poster.jpg

Directed by Todd Solondz

Produced by Todd Solondz

Written by Todd Solondz

Starring Heather Matarazzo, Victoria Davis

This is one of my favorite films. I remember watching it and it moved me to tears because it depicted real life, especially in the teenage years. It covers bullying, love crushes, rejection, sibling rivalry, among other things.

Dollhouse.jpg

Dawn Weiner is portrayed by Heather Matarazzo. She is not the pretty girl in school, definitely not popular, constantly teased, disliked even by her own teachers and yet throughout the film, I thought she was beautiful, inside and out. While watching this film, all I wanted to do was jump into the scenes and kick some ass. No one should be treated that way. Her own parents dote on her younger sister, who is a ballerina and walks around with a tutu all day every day, and perfect. I know this was portrayed as a dark comedy, but it gets deep so be prepared for that. I did not laugh while watching this movie as much as I thought I would.

Dawn is constantly on guard, because she is constantly being threatened in some kind of way. You feel anger and resentment throughout the film. I looked around and was watching the responses by other audience members and I was amazed, because some were crying, some were pissed, some were embarassed, because some of those characters resembled themselves. Definitely a wake up call type of movie, to let you know how important it is to raise your children strong and always tell them you love them and believe in them. Dawn has a profound strength that you applaud at the end of the film and I think all of us have known a "Dawn" in our life. The movie bothered me overall...maybe it was hitting too close to home.

I tell anybody who is going to any type of school reunion to watch it before they go, because 9 times out of 10, you will be walking around and apologizing to those you treated like garbage and making some new friends and dismissing your so called real ones.

Heather Matarazzo should have been nominated for an Oscar; she was intoxicating.

So James, gonna let me live another day? Because TB scared me about your feelings about this film. I will dress and act like Lena and hopefully that will keep you smiling... :lol:

Naw, I'm not mean. I'm just glad someone besides me loves the film. People where I work (Moviestop) have never even heard of it. I can't believe it. And if you want to dress like Lena for me then feel free ;)

JO

Naw, I'm not mean. I'm just glad someone besides me loves the film. People where I work (Moviestop) have never even heard of it. I can't believe it. And if you want to dress like Lena for me then feel free ;)

JO

I have met peeps that have seen the film but did not really understand it. I just love this film so much. Olin rocked it and Oldman delivered one of his best performances. I cannot believe nobody you worked with has never seen it...whew! I loved Lena in "Mystery Men", "The Ninth Gate", and of course the tv show "Alias". She is very selective in her roles; she turned down the lead roles in "Batman Returns", "The Bonfire of the Vanities", "The Piano", "Basic Instinct".

Now I got to look for a 'Lena' outfit... :P :P :P

I have met peeps that have seen the film but did not really understand it. I just love this film so much. Olin rocked it and Oldman delivered one of his best performances. I cannot believe nobody you worked with has never seen it...whew! I loved Lena in "Mystery Men", "The Ninth Gate", and of course the tv show "Alias". She is very selective in her roles; she turned down the lead roles in "Batman Returns", "The Bonfire of the Vanities", "The Piano", "Basic Instinct".

Now I got to look for a 'Lena' outfit... :P :P :P

Lena is one of the greats and she is just such a classy lady. Gary is just, well, Gary. My favorite from him was probably when he did Leon The Professional which I know is kind of a cliche but I just like a guy who talks Beethoven in the middle of committing a family massacre.

JO

ROLLING THUNDER (1977)

Written by Paul Schrader. Directed by John Flynn.

Starring William Devane and Tommy Lee Jones.

There is something about no holds barred vengeance narratives that I seem to align with. So much so that I wrote my Masters on the genre. Rolling Thunder fits into that pocket of late 70's films like Outlaw Josey Wales that sit there with cyncial undertones of society - and that is the best place to sit the Vengeance Trail. Paul Schrader crafts a marvelous screenplay deep with tormented characters disjointed from the world. There are similarities in the descent into darkness as only Schrader can tell. The emptiness of the soul.

Too often an apology is made for the Vengeance, particuarly in American cinema.

The normal turning point for shall we say the straight laced vengeance motif is that the protagonist must step outside society to do the task but is welcomed back home afterwards. The strongest vengeance plotlines however are the ones that completely disregard society and allow the character to assume their dark psyche.

Haven't seen this in a couple of years but the memory is still strong on this one.

Then the 80's came along and destroyed everything - haha.

regards

Andrew

Rolling Thunder is badass.

William Devane is riveting.

I told him so in an elevator.

o_bno.jpg

Tommy Lee is psycho brilliant.

Luke Askew as "Automatic Slim" is a perfect 70's revenge flick heavy.

Smash mouth filmmaking.

- TB

Rolling Thunder is badass.

William Devane is riveting.

I told him so in an elevator.

o_bno.jpg

Tommy Lee is psycho brilliant.

Luke Askew as "Automatic Slim" is a perfect 70's revenge flick heavy.

Smash mouth filmmaking.

- TB

Why is this movie not out on DVD yet? Fucking travesty.

_passenger.jpg

David Locke is a television reporter on location in Africa's Sahara Desert. It's hot, humid, and everything seems to be dirty. Returning to his hotel after getting lost and bogged in the desert, he discovers that the man in the room next to his has died. After deciding that his own life wasn't worth living anymore, he switches identities with the dead man, taking the man's passport (with his own photo swapped in), his luggage, and his appointment schedule. Leaving Africa, he heads off to keep the dead man's appointments, hoping that his new life will be more interesting than his old one was.

Jack Nicholson ... David Locke

Maria Schneider ... Girl

Jenny Runacre ... Rachel Locke

Ian Hendry ... Martin Knight

Steven Berkoff ... Stephen

Ambroise Bia ... Achebe

This is one of my favorite films. Nicholson and Scheider are wonderful on the screen and the chemistry sizzles on the set. There is alot of symbolism throughout the film and its one of those pieces that you come away with something different every time you watch it. The ending leaves alot open to interpretation, especially about who Schneider's character really is and why she was at certain locations at certain times. It's a beautiful film and should be watched and appreciated by everyone who loves great cinema.

JO

It always gladdens my heart to know that there are young bastards out there that appreciate great film that wasn't produced in the last year.

James - Great pick.

Working at the vid store is a good thing ;)

- TB

Why is this movie not out on DVD yet? Fucking travesty.

Yes, it's a total crime.

Another one I've been waiting forever for is Funeral In Berlin, the sequel to The Ipcress File with Michael Caine.

Funeral is not a great movie but it IS fucking Harry Palmer!

Someone release the fucker!!!

- TB

JO'B: great post! Thank you for this!

Autostop rosso sangue / Hitch Hike

autostop3oc9.jpg

Directed by: Pasquale Festa Campanile

Written by: Ottavio Jemma, Aldo Crudo and Pasquale Festa Campanile

Starring: Franco Nero, Corinne Clery, David Hess

The basic plot is a couple driving along, they pick up a hitchhiker who turns out to be a bank robber and takes them hostage.

hitchhikecq5.jpg

This is a Italian revenge thriller, you can even label it an exploitation film even though it's not that overtly violent, it's definitely uncomfortable. The acting is pretty good, as well as the direction and cinematography and I can't forget about the score by Ennio Morricone I think "Autostop rosso sangue" has become one of my favorite songs of his.

autostoprossosanguesounbm6.jpg

Trailer

Turn us on Mikey V!

I've heard of this film but have never seen it.

Now it's in the que.

- Tb

_he_was_a_quiet_man_ver6.jpg

A troubled loner, Bob Maconel, imagines blowing up the tower in Los Angeles where he works. He takes a revolver to his office intent on killing colleagues, and then himself. At home, he holds conversations with his fish, who encourage him to do it. His supervisor picks on him. As he's screwing his courage to the sticking place, he drops a bullet; while on the floor looking for it, another colleague does exactly what Bob has been planning. Bob emerges a hero and the one colleague he likes, a woman with a bright smile, is severely wounded. Can Bob help her through despair and find himself and joy in life? Or, as everyone says, is this impossible for a man like him?

Christian Slater ... Bob Maconel

John Gulager ... Goldie / Maurice Gregory

Elisha Cuthbert ... Venessa Parks

Jamison Jones ... Scott Harper

Michael DeLuise ... Detective Soreson

Sascha Knopf ... Paula Metzler

Cristina Lawson ... Nancy Felt

This is another gem that came out last year but no one saw and it didn't get a wide release. It recently came out on DVD and no one bought it. I persuaded people to see it but most don't understand it. It reminds me of Lost Highway (Which is one of my all time favorite films up there with Blade Runner) and people couldn't get their heads around the symbolism and the events taking place. Once you watch it you need to immediately watch it again and you discover so much more and see the beauty of this film. It is underappreciated and it needs to be treated with some respect. Christian Slater finally gives an award winning performance after a half assed streak of shitty roles and Elisha Cuthbert shows she's more than a pretty face. She's quickly rising in my list of actresses to watch. Bill Macy is, well, Bill Macy. 'Nuff said. All I can say is watch the film, give it a chance, and remember "The Hummingbird" because once you watch it a second time you'll come away with something you can't even believe was put in the film. Most think they get the film but are still lost. All I can say is watch it over and over again and enjoy.

Jo

Yes, it's a total crime.

Another one I've been waiting forever for is Funeral In Berlin, the sequel to The Ipcress File with Michael Caine.

Funeral is not a great movie but it IS fucking Harry Palmer!

Someone release the fucker!!!

- TB

I want The Ipcress File and Funeral In Berlin in a 2 Disc set and I want it now. The Ipcress File is to damn good a film to be out of print and left in the wind.

JO

videodrome-se_frontl.jpg

The president of Civic TV Channel 83, Max Renn, is always looking for new cheap and erotic movies for his station. When his employee, Harlan, decodes a pirate video broadcast showing torture, murder, and mutilation called "Videodrome," Max becomes obsessed to get this series for his channel. He contacts his supplier, Masha, and asks her to find the party responsible for the transmission. A couple of days later, Masha tells that "Videodrome" is real snuff movies. Max's sado-masochistic girlfriend Nicki Brand decides to travel to Pittsburgh, where the show is based, to audition. Max investigates further, and through a video by the media prophet Brian O'Blivion, he learns that that TV screens are the retina of the mind's eye, being part of the brain, and "Videodrome" transmissions create a brain tumor in the viewer, changing the reality through video hallucination

Director...David Cronenberg

James Woods ... Max Renn

Sonja Smits ... Bianca O'Blivion

Deborah Harry ... Nicki Brand

Peter Dvorsky ... Harlan

Leslie Carlson ... Barry Convex (as Les Carlson)

Jack Creley ... Brian O'Blivion

Lynne Gorman ... Masha

OK so I'm a big Cronenberg (Spider) fan and I remember when I first saw this it blew my mind wide open and I immediately proceeded to watch it 5 times in a row. The film is great. It predicts alot of the stuff that is happening now (Myspace, Blu Ray, Forums, etc) but it predicts it back when this was made in the 80's. The film is Phenomenal on a massive level. If you love Cronenberg then you'll love this. It's got James Woods and Deborah Harry (The very sexy and very talented lead singer of the band Blondie) and they are amazing together. The effects kick ass for this being made so long ago and the images that float across the screen are just beautiful. I have the 2 disc Criterion release which is worth the $31.99 price tag. It comes in a custom box and a booklet that reveals secrets behind the film. Check it out and prepare to be amazed.

JO

_Thechaseposter.jpg

28-year old Jackson "Jack" Davis Hammond is sentenced to 25 years in prison for armed robbery, although he is innocent, but manages to escape on the way to Mexico. To get away from the police while at a convenience store, he takes a girl as hostage California heiress Natalie Voss, and drives off in her car. The girl happens to be the only daughter of billionaire Dalton Voss, one of the richest men in the state. In a while the car chase is quickly being broadcast live on every TV-channel, covering the event from helicopters, the backseat of a police car, the pavement of the highway and by calling the car phone in the highspeed BMW.

Charlie Sheen - Jackson Hammond

Kristy Swanson - Natalie Voss

Rocky Carroll - Byron Wilder (Channel 8 traffic reporter)

Henry Rollins - Officer Dobbs (lead chase car driver)

Josh Mostel - Officer Figus (lead chase car passenger)

Bree Walker - Wendy Sorenson (Channel 8 news anchor)

Ray Wise - Dalton Voss

Claudia Christian - Yvonne Voss (Natalie's stepmother)

Natalia Nogulich - Frances Voss (Natalie's mother)

Cary Elwes - Steve (Channel 12 news anchor)

Flea, Anthony Kiedis (of the band Red Hot Chili Peppers) - Red-blooded American monster truck driver Dale, and his eager passenger Will

Paul Dondridge - himself

Cassian Elwes - The Producer (reality cop show)

This has always been a favorite of mine since I first saw it when I was about 6 or 7 years old. The film is just fun, hilarious and packed with accidental action. Whenever I turn people onto it at work I always have them coming back saying, "That film was crazy, man. You got anything else like that?" This is usually how I introduce people to films most don't see such as Oldboy, Ichi The Killer, The Devil's Backbone, In The Mouth Of Maddness, Pan's Labyrinth and Lost Highway. People just need to be introduced to films that they wouldn't normally see or hear about. So I proposed a message board in the store that says films that are suggested in which I'm allowed to pick out films that I think deserve a wider audience and put them on the board. So far we've sold so many copies of Lost Highway and Oldboy that we had to double our shipments from 20 copies to 40. Its crazy. But anyway, this film is great. I've always been a fan of Charlie Sheen, he's one of those guys that I always wished would out live his father's name and be able to become his own person but he was hassled and then got into shit loads of trouble. But he did make a few good films. This being on of them. And Kristy Swanson is just great. I first saw her in the original Buffy The Vampire Slayer film and then in this and she became a favorite of mine, much like Christina Applegate after I saw her in Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead (Another film I'll have to put on this board). The cast is full of some great actors and actresses and some of the dialogue is just hilarious and fun to quote. I don't know, all I can say is check it out and I don't think you'll be dissappointed.

JO

Guest FADoss

I LOVE HANK!!! He was great in this one. Such a personality. My favorite part of the film.

Fred

_Thechaseposter.jpg

28-year old Jackson "Jack" Davis Hammond is sentenced to 25 years in prison for armed robbery, although he is innocent, but manages to escape on the way to Mexico. To get away from the police while at a convenience store, he takes a girl as hostage California heiress Natalie Voss, and drives off in her car. The girl happens to be the only daughter of billionaire Dalton Voss, one of the richest men in the state. In a while the car chase is quickly being broadcast live on every TV-channel, covering the event from helicopters, the backseat of a police car, the pavement of the highway and by calling the car phone in the highspeed BMW.

Charlie Sheen - Jackson Hammond

Kristy Swanson - Natalie Voss

Rocky Carroll - Byron Wilder (Channel 8 traffic reporter)

Henry Rollins - Officer Dobbs (lead chase car driver)

Josh Mostel - Officer Figus (lead chase car passenger)

Bree Walker - Wendy Sorenson (Channel 8 news anchor)

Ray Wise - Dalton Voss

Claudia Christian - Yvonne Voss (Natalie's stepmother)

Natalia Nogulich - Frances Voss (Natalie's mother)

Cary Elwes - Steve (Channel 12 news anchor)

Flea, Anthony Kiedis (of the band Red Hot Chili Peppers) - Red-blooded American monster truck driver Dale, and his eager passenger Will

Paul Dondridge - himself

Cassian Elwes - The Producer (reality cop show)

This has always been a favorite of mine since I first saw it when I was about 6 or 7 years old. The film is just fun, hilarious and packed with accidental action. Whenever I turn people onto it at work I always have them coming back saying, "That film was crazy, man. You got anything else like that?" This is usually how I introduce people to films most don't see such as Oldboy, Ichi The Killer, The Devil's Backbone, In The Mouth Of Maddness, Pan's Labyrinth and Lost Highway. People just need to be introduced to films that they wouldn't normally see or hear about. So I proposed a message board in the store that says films that are suggested in which I'm allowed to pick out films that I think deserve a wider audience and put them on the board. So far we've sold so many copies of Lost Highway and Oldboy that we had to double our shipments from 20 copies to 40. Its crazy. But anyway, this film is great. I've always been a fan of Charlie Sheen, he's one of those guys that I always wished would out live his father's name and be able to become his own person but he was hassled and then got into shit loads of trouble. But he did make a few good films. This being on of them. And Kristy Swanson is just great. I first saw her in the original Buffy The Vampire Slayer film and then in this and she became a favorite of mine, much like Christina Applegate after I saw her in Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead (Another film I'll have to put on this board). The cast is full of some great actors and actresses and some of the dialogue is just hilarious and fun to quote. I don't know, all I can say is check it out and I don't think you'll be dissappointed.

JO

mwftearthcover.jpg

An alien (David Bowie) comes to Earth in hopes to resuce his dying planet. In the prosess of, he starts a technologically advanced company making him a multi-millionaire so he can build a space ship to get back home. Unfortunalty, in trying to ataine this goal, the alien soon realizes big buisness is more dangerous than anyone ever thought.

Directer - Nicolas Roeg

Thomas Newton (alien) - David Bowie

Nathan Bryce - Rip Torn

Mary-Lou - Candy Clark

Oliver Farnsworth - Buck Henry

This is one of those films for me where it's hard to recomend to people because I've had so many come back and say they hated it. As for a Sci-Fi movie, it's in a class of it's own. The Man Who Fell To Earth is essentally a sureal painting come to life. David Bowie, in one of his first roles, has never been better as an alien trying to save his home planet, and instead becoming a victem of Corprate America and those who need him to feel important. This film also contains one of the most disturbing images my mind has ever tried to wrap itself around when Bowie and Clark get into an argument and he comes out of the locked room for the first time to her as an alien. The first time I saw this film was after theater practice and a bunch of us where hanging out, watching this film, guzzling red wine. About three bottles in, Bowie comes as the alien and I freaked at the thought that what Clark's charcater was going through. Just to imagine the person you loved for about a year turns out to be a creature from another world chilled me to the bone. I still get chills when I see that scene. If you want something diffrent, check it out, and if you love Bowie, it's just an added extra.

BowieTMWFTE.jpg

mwftearthcover.jpg

An alien (David Bowie) comes to Earth in hopes to resuce his dying planet. In the prosess of, he starts a technologically advanced company making him a multi-millionaire so he can build a space ship to get back home. Unfortunalty, in trying to ataine this goal, the alien soon realizes big buisness is more dangerous than anyone ever thought.

Directer - Nicolas Roeg

Thomas Newton (alien) - David Bowie

Nathan Bryce - Rip Torn

Mary-Lou - Candy Clark

Oliver Farnsworth - Buck Henry

This is one of those films for me where it's hard to recomend to people because I've had so many come back and say they hated it. As for a Sci-Fi movie, it's in a class of it's own. The Man Who Fell To Earth is essentally a sureal painting come to life. David Bowie, in one of his first roles, has never been better as an alien trying to save his home planet, and instead becoming a victem of Corprate America and those who need him to feel important. This film also contains one of the most disturbing images my mind has ever tried to wrap itself around when Bowie and Clark get into an argument and he comes out of the locked room for the first time to her as an alien. The first time I saw this film was after theater practice and a bunch of us where hanging out, watching this film, guzzling red wine. About three bottles in, Bowie comes as the alien and I freaked at the thought that what Clark's charcater was going through. Just to imagine the person you loved for about a year turns out to be a creature from another world chilled me to the bone. I still get chills when I see that scene. If you want something diffrent, check it out, and if you love Bowie, it's just an added extra.

BowieTMWFTE.jpg

One of my favorite films. I've got the criterion edition that comes with the book. Very cool.

JO

aeba.jpg

This is a great, offbeat comedy from Charlie Kaufman, who wrote Being John Malkovich. The feature directorial debut by music video director Michel Gondry isn't a strong effort by him, but solid performances by the principals and smart, witty script by Kaufman make this a must-see. It's often quirky and widely considered an "arthouse" film, but worth seeing.

Lila Jute (Patricia Arquette) is a woman with an unusual amount of body hair who struggles with her identity and with society's conventions about beauty and appearance. So she retreats to the forest to live among the animals and writes a book called "Fuck Humanity", which becomes a bestseller, and finally, craving companionship, she emerges from her exile to rejoin society and find a mate. She is introduced to a brilliant, neurotic scientist (Tim Robbins) and the two fall in love. But things are complicated by his sexy assistant (Miranda Otto) and an untamed wild man (Rhys Ifans) who are thrown into the unlikely quartet. This is a smart, sexy satire on society's attitudes about beauty and love and what people will sacrifice in the name of love.

I love this movie because it offers a smart, thoughtful, provocative take on what is beautiful and how society's perceptions will force us to change ourselves to be accepted. And to what degree we are willing to surrender our identities because of it.

mediumfan

JO-

OK so I'm a big Cronenberg (Spider) fan and I remember when I first saw this it blew my mind wide open and I immediately proceeded to watch it 5 times in a row. The film is great.

HELL Motherfuckin' Yeah!!

I love Videodrome, Scanners, Existenz and Crash oh and Dead Ringers. History of Violence was pretty cool too. But that's weird cause Spider was my least favorite. I don't know- it just didn't turn me on. M Butterfly and Naked Lunch was sorta flat to me too.

Different strokes for different folks I guess- but oddly enough- the same director.

and mediumfan-

Rhys has got to go pee-pee, Tim has a pole stuck up his ass and Patricia is gonna get a wicked case of poison ivy.

but that movie is cool- Michel Gondry has directed music videos for Bjork (Human Behavior), White Stripes (the lego vid) and one video for the Rolling Stones around the time they were getting arthiritis, back pain, popping Lipitor and desecrating a Bob Dylan song- 'Like a Rolling Stone'- some stupid ugly girl was in it too- forget her name.

And how lame is it to cover a song called 'Like a Rolling Stone' when your band is named 'Rolling Stones'

Fuckin' Dick Jagger. or Dick Gagger....or Dick Bagger.

sveinx

I'm going to stick in a classic film realm and also stick with John Boorman for my next suggestion . . .

Hell In The Pacific (1968)

Directed by - John Boorman

Starring -

Lee Marvin as the American Pilot

Toshiro Mifune as the Japanese Pilot, Captain Tsuruhiko Kuroda

Cinematography by the late GREAT Conrad Hall

Music by the legendary Lalo Schifrin

The tagline says it all - "They hunted each other as enemies...they tormented each other as savages...they faced each other as men!"

leemarvin.jpg

It's WWII and two pilots who had engaged in a dogfight, both crash land on the same island. The tension is high as they begin to hunt one another as mortal enemies.

But this isn't so simple, and when you get right down to it survival itself becomes the name of the game. This film inspired the cool 80's sci-fi movie Enemy Mine.

Enemy Mine is a fun film but it's not even close to Hell In The Pacific. John Boorman's taught direction and Conrad Hall's breathtaking cinematography are a wonder to behold. And smack dab in the middle of it are two icons of the cinema, Marvin and Mifune at the top of their respective games.

Hell In The Pacific is an often overlooked film MUCH deserving to be seen by more, and seen in widescreen.

hellpacificlc8.jpg

You can pick this one up real cheap on DVD - http://www.amazon.com/Hell-Pacific-Lee-Mar...2692&sr=1-1

It's bound to be added to your list of favorite films

- TB

So I was reading this thread last night (which inspired me to mention Human Nature), and I get home and what's on Retroplex but this movie, so I start watching it. It was pretty good. Although I came in in the middle and missed a good portion of the beginning, what I saw was interesting. The struggle between the two men, and the constant shifting of the balance of power between them made this a tense, suspenseful movie. I'll definitely be looking for it again so I can see the whole thing.

Mediumfan

One of my favourite films of the past few years:

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang starring Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer

kiss_kiss_bang_bang_poster.jpg

Fantastic comedy noir film. The two leads played by Downey and Kilmer were amazing. It was written and directed by Shane Black, who created the Lethal Weapon series. It was just sad that no one really saw it when it came out, as it's fucking brilliant.

It's about a petty thief who accidentally stumbles into an audition for a Hollywood movie and has to take lessons from a gay Hollywood PI to learn the part. He eventually gets embroiled in a murder plot. Great movie.