Tiara

Future Movie Releases: Which Ones Will You Be Seeing?

Hancock Trailer:

Will Smith - Hancock

Exclusive poster for Hellboy II: The Golden Army

nycc-hellboy2.jpg

Exclusive poster for Wanted

nycc-wanted.jpg

Note: not sure if this is THE one-sheet, but McAvoy with a gun looks strange as hell to me... :P

nycc-hellboy2.jpg

That is DEFINITELY Drew Struzan's art!

WOOOOOOO!

I also like the concept of that Batman poster where he's standing in front of the building, bat shape on fire.

But . . . (ever the critic), The buildings seem VERY "off the street".

Like stuff I see every day.

Doesn't feel like Gotham at all to me.

I just see a close up block of regular 'ol buildings photoshopped into the background.

Might have played better as a night shot. It would have masked the failure of the choice of building at least.

I thought they did an amazing job with concepts and execution of the Batman Begins posters.

This doesn't have the sauce.

- TB

You're right about that Gotham feel, because I don't see that yet in these posters.

I guess the movie studio listened and changed that Wanted poster:

WantedJoliePoster.jpg

Too many complaints of it looking EXACTLY like Beckinsale's pose in Underworld but with tattoos... ;)

I really want to see this film in the Fall:

igor-423.jpg

John Cusack has such a great voice!

Well the buildings and the lighting/geographical atmosphere is pure Chicago which is where most of the film was shot. Also, Nolan said when discarding David Goyer's original script that he was gonna ground Batman even more in this film than in the last one. That was actually what attracted Ledger - the idea that Nolan completely abolished all the elements of Burton's fantasy world and the overall Comic Book feel.

Just from watching the Teaser Trailer, it looks alot more real than the first film, specially with Wayne living in the main building and not in the mansion (that burned down). The Joker is dueling with him in the middle of Downtown Chicago. You can actually see a Starbucks if you watch closely. I've had coffee there before.

-TL

That is DEFINITELY Drew Struzan's art!

WOOOOOOO!

- TB

Here's some more:

hellboy-2.jpg

hellboy-2-hb.jpg

hellboy-2-krauss.jpg

hellboy-2-sapien.jpg

hellboy-2-selma.jpg

It sucks so fucking much that the Struzan poster was only made for the NY Comic Con. I want that fucker now.

And I don't really get the Batman poster, is he in Project Mayhem? Why would the bat symbol be burned into a building?

I like this one better than the first one I saw:

incrediblehulk-poster.jpg

Mike I hate to have to point this out to you.

The Joker (Heath Ledger) in response to Gotham City's lack of Leadership in crime has begun an uprising, much like a terrorist cell block. They have no real goal but to destroy Gotham when its defenseless - that is until The Dark Knight (Christian Bale) reveals himself and gets in The Joker's way.

The Bat symbol being burned into that building is a message from The Joker to Batman saying "Back the fuck off."

*That Incredible Hulk poster is obviously an homage to Bill Bixby's take on Bruce Banner which is what inspired Norton to join the project and eventually rewrite it. The biggest nod to Bixby so far has been the Hulk's pre-transformation signature "green eyes" which Norton is sporting fantastically.

-TL

Ben Stiller is one sick bastard...I am loving this!

tropic-thunder-stiller.jpg

tropic-thunder-black.jpg

tropic-thunder-downey.jpg

Mike I hate to have to point this out to you.

The Joker (Heath Ledger) in response to Gotham City's lack of Leadership in crime has begun an uprising, much like a terrorist cell block. They have no real goal but to destroy Gotham when its defenseless - that is until The Dark Knight (Christian Bale) reveals himself and gets in The Joker's way.

The Bat symbol being burned into that building is a message from The Joker to Batman saying "Back the fuck off."

-TL

If it was a Joker face it would make more sense, then him burning Batman's symbol into a building.

He actually did the Joker face bit too - if you recall the Teaser poster.

It was done to a wall in an alleyway.

I actually think the whole thing incriminates Batman. Recall the scene in the Teaser Trailer where Gordon (Gary Oldman) smashes the Bat signal.

The Joker may be trying to set up Batman and he picked the perfect time to do it.

-TL

darkknightposter1.jpg

darkknightposter4.jpg

darkknightposter3.jpg

darkknightposter2.jpg

Downey Jr looks like fucking Richard Roundtree!

A bit.

"Well the buildings and the lighting/geographical atmosphere is pure Chicago which is where most of the film was shot. Also, Nolan said when discarding David Goyer's original script that he was gonna ground Batman even more in this film than in the last one. That was actually what attracted Ledger - the idea that Nolan completely abolished all the elements of Burton's fantasy world and the overall Comic Book feel."

I don't have a problem with the production abandoning the Burton feel to Gotham. That actually had no bearing on my statement.

I don't need it to be stylized high gothic art, I just need it to feel less like downtown Chicago and more like The Gotham from Batman Begins at the very least.

It wasn't over the top but it was gritty and less sterile looking.

I just don't feel it represents the flavor and tone very well with the prosaic architecture.

That is all . . .

"That Incredible Hulk poster is obviously an homage to Bill Bixby's take on Bruce Banner which is what inspired Norton to join the project and eventually rewrite it. The biggest nod to Bixby so far has been the Hulk's pre-transformation signature "green eyes" which Norton is sporting fantastically."

Hmm, do you think?

Or isn't it possible that the homage in question comes from an even older source (backshot of Hulk notwithstanding).

152244__hulk1_l.jpg

Seems like framing Bruce Banner with the Hulk felt like the way to go in 1962 as well ;)

Though Banner's hitchhiking vagabond look does certainly evoke the TV series.

Ooh, I like this one -

darkknightposter2.jpg

This is what I'm saying, even just being a night shot changes the whole perspective and feel.

And it looks like they took the time to omit recognizable buildings and landmarks (if this is indeed Chicago in the shot).

THOUGH it's mighty interesting how the building could be reflected on the floor where Batman is standing given the perspective and angle of the shot.

The room Batman is standing in seems to OVER those of the buildings reflected on the floor.

Am I seeing this wrong or is this a HUGE gaff. Or does anywone really care?

Perhaps Bats is standing inside a Dirigible and it's banking downwards on a turn.

Ah, suspension of disbelief!

- TB

I just wanna know if Banner is gonna wear a Canadian tuxedo throughout the whole movie.

More Downtown Chicago:

darkknightteaser2vp4.jpg

Perhaps Christopher Nolan is running for Mayor?

*On The Incredible Hulk front. It may be a combination of both. Hugh Jackman's envy of that poster must be driving him nuts. He wants to do a biograpical film on Bixby in the future.

Also, awesome observation on the reflections of the buildings. Makes no God damn sense.

-TL

day-of-the-dead-a-1.jpg

day-of-the-dead-b-1.jpg

Uhg!

The Day of the DEAD posters are dogshit.

How VERY unimaginative.

The first one looks like a rip off of Skinwalkers combined with SAW, and they're probably knockoffs from some other films.

The second one is just plain BAD. It looks like Day Of The Dead: Electric Boogaloo

Pure shit.

Give me those fucker's in makeup, a couple lights and a Canon D5 and I'd have had a dozen better concepts.

Makes me want to see the film even LESS.

- TB

How do you feel about that Joker Dark Knight poster? Does the night setting take your mind off Downtown Chicago?

I'd recognize that cityscape if I was blindfolded.

-TL

Uhg!

The Day of the DEAD posters are dogshit.

How VERY unimaginative.

The first one looks like a rip off of Skinwalkers combined with SAW, and they're probably knockoffs from some other films.

The second one is just plain BAD. It looks like Day Of The Dead: Electric Boogaloo

Pure shit.

Give me those fucker's in makeup, a couple lights and a Canon D5 and I'd have had a dozen better concepts.

Makes me want to see the film even LESS.

- TB

Well, this is coming from the same studio that brought us Day of the Dead 2: Contagium* and Creepshow 3. So this movie can fuck right off, it has Nick Cannon and "Bub" who was a vegetarian when he was human so he doesn't want to eat people when he turns. Like I said it can fuck right off.

*Yes, they made up their own word.

We sooooooooooo need this in our collections!

oc-batsignal.jpg

This little bat-signal can project the famed symbol up to 16 feet away. Small in stature (12′ x 2.25′ x 9′) but big on cool, this working replica is on pre-order and retails for $395.

Source: Discount Comic Book Service

How do you feel about that Joker Dark Knight poster? Does the night setting take your mind off Downtown Chicago?

I'd recognize that cityscape if I was blindfolded.

-TL

Again, not crazy about it but for partially a different reason.

It seems obvious to me that The Joker was retouched into the shot.

I see it like getting hit across the face.

As a designer or graphic artist the true test of a successful photo re-touch image is to cover your tracks.

Stylizing things certainly helps. In this case I think an easy solution to both is simply darkening the existing shot. I fiddled with this for 10 minutes and came up with a couple of variations. 10 minutes . . .

darkknightteaser2vp4f.jpg

darkknightteaser2vp4f2.jpg

You'll have to forgive these for having some bad jpeg compression though, they're a tad lighter than my versions and are a slight bit artifacty ;)

What do you think TL?

- TB

We oughtta call these DARK KNIGHT MAX posters lol

I'm lovin the second one. You turned Chicago into NYC!!!

How can one do that to a photo? Keep all the elements alive while toning down the environment? I'm assuming a particular program is required.

-TL

All I did was filter some texture layers over the shot to darken it.

The original is sickeningly light for my taste.

Joker sticks out like a cartoon in his purple, and like I mentioned above, he LOOKS like he was retouched into the cityscape.

It just seems obvious.

So a quick texture filter to darken and then just erased out the tinted background color from over top of Joker (with a soft eraser brush) to bring back out his purple.

But more subtly. We know it's the Joker, why hit folks over the head with the Purple?

Then just a different tint for the sepia toned version, and dummed down the color on Joker to match the feel.

It's just a simple Photoshop 101 quickie 10 minute fix.

But I think it makes a world of difference.

If I had a high res file I could spend a few hours on it and make it tighter than a motherfucker.

A lot of times studios farm out their ad work to certain service bureaus.

Some are FANTASTIC, and generate some top notch original concepts that are executed at very high levels.

Most are a joke. They do professional work in most cases but their staff may not be necessarily geared towards the subject matter.

So you end up getting sterile or banal takes on projects that deserve better.

A lot of that gets approved because Studios in a lot of cases are only looking for the lowest common denominator elements.

As long a their star is front and center and various other elements are present firmly hitting the onlooker over the head they are happy.

I believe studios actually advocate ripping off other successful concepts from other films. Sad to be sure.

I think a lot of the Promo stuff for Batman Begins was top notch.

The stuff I've seen for the new film is good, it's OK.

But to me it looks more like ads for cars or for Nike (from major magazines) rather than for Batman and Joker.

Stick a shot of Derek Jeter (uhg) holding a bat into the shot I just retouched, replace the Joker with Jeter and it looks like a Nike ad.

If you stuck Jeter or LeBron James into the posters for "Begins" it just wouldn't play. Those posters told more of a story.

This is high quality but it's missing something.

It's missing a brain that can function beyond the obvious elements.

I think the concepts are solid, it's the execution that leaves something to be desired.

My two cents.

- TB

DKR.jpg