Tiara

Future Movie Releases: Which Ones Will You Be Seeing?

May 2nd is Iron Man (I am hoping it does not turn into the poor man's Spiderman).

May 9th is Speed Racer with Emile Hirsch, Christina Ricci and Matthew Fox

May 16th is The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

May 22nd is Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

May 30th is Sex and the City, The Movie

June 6th is You Don't Mess With the Zohan with Adam Sandler

June 6th is also Kung Fu Panda, with the voices of Angelina Jolie, Dustin Hoffman, Jackie Chan, Lucy Liu and Seth Rogen

June 13th is The Incredible Hulk with Ed Norton (OH YES)

June 20th is Maxwell Smart with Steve Carell, Anne Hathaway and Terence Stamp

June 27th is Wall-E, the tale of a janitorial robot toiling away for centuries because no one remembered to turn him off after humanity trashes Earth to the point that the planet must be abandoned.

July 2nd is Hancock, which co-stars Charlize Theron in the tale of a churlish superhero with real problems like the rest of us.

July 11th is Journey to the Center of the Earth

July 11th is also Meet Dave with Eddie Murphy

July 18th is The Dark Knight (will definitely be seeing this one)

July 25th is The X-Files--I Want to Believe

August 1st is The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

August 8th is The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2

August 15th is Tropic Thunder, a comedy that features Robert Downey Jr. as a white actor portraying a black character with insanely serious devotion and Tom Cruise as a bald, raving studio boss with hilarious dance moves.

Wow, looking at that list, I'm kinda surprised that more of those don't jump out at me. There's only a handful of them that seem the least bit interesting to me.

May is gonna be a killer month at the b.o., as always, but this year there are some major movies opening. That said, the only one I am really jonesing for is the Indiana Jones movie. I'm just not that excited about the others. I may see Iron Man if I'm bored, but other than that, most of them are just, meh.

The rest of the summer looks kinda the same to me as well. There are probably some pretty good movies in the bunch, but none that I'm just jumpin' up n down to get to see. :P

July 11th is Journey to the Center of the Earth

This one might be interesting, for three reasons.

1. Jules Verne

2. Brendan Fraser

3. 3-D

I may check this one out.

July 2nd is Hancock, which co-stars Charlize Theron in the tale of a churlish superhero with real problems like the rest of us.

Tiara, you forgot to mention that this one stars Will Smith, which means it's probably gonna be another blockbuster for him. The studios have figured out the magic formula- July 4th weekend + Will Smith = Beaucoup bucks

:D Mediumfan

Wow, looking at that list, I'm kinda surprised that more of those don't jump out at me. There's only a handful of them that seem the least bit interesting to me.

May is gonna be a killer month at the b.o., as always, but this year there are some major movies opening. That said, the only one I am really jonesing for is the Indiana Jones movie. I'm just not that excited about the others. I may see Iron Man if I'm bored, but other than that, most of them are just, meh.

The rest of the summer looks kinda the same to me as well. There are probably some pretty good movies in the bunch, but none that I'm just jumpin' up n down to get to see. :P

Tiara, you forgot to mention that this one stars Will Smith, which means it's probably gonna be another blockbuster for him. The studios have figured out the magic formula- July 4th weekend + Will Smith = Beaucoup bucks

:D Mediumfan

I always try to give the divas props first, so yeah, Will Smith is in it too... :lol:

I am curious to see how the studios will promote this film; I mean, Charlize is the Oscar winner, so I know we will see trailers, like "Oscar winner Charlize Theron", "Oscar nominee Will Smith"...have you noticed this trend, where they announce if they are a winner or nominee of some award?

I definitely will see Indiana Jones...I will see Iron Man. The Dark Knight is a given for me. X-Files...probably with a bunch of my friends. I do want to check out that Wall-E...intriguing.

I am curious to see how the studios will promote this film; I mean, Charlize is the Oscar winner, so I know we will see trailers, like "Oscar winner Charlize Theron", "Oscar nominee Will Smith"...have you noticed this trend, where they announce if they are a winner or nominee of some award?

Yes, I have noticed that. It's like once they're nominated or win an award, then that becomes a title or something. Last year when it was announced that Anjelica Huston was going to be doing a six-episode guest appearance on Medium, every time her name was mentioned, it was always Oscar winner Anjelica Huston. And what was funny was that everyone kept saying it like "Oh, man, What's she doing on television, and on Medium?" And they were acting as if she were lowering herself by appearing on television.

Seems they forgot that she was appearing opposite Emmy winner Patricia Arquette ( I just love writing that. :P tee-hee), who was also a film actress who had made the jump to television, (which has paid off handsomely for her).

But it's interesting how once someone wins an award, or is nominated, then that becomes an extension of their name or something. As if no one would know who you were talking about if you didn't add that part. Geez! ;)

Mediumfan

WOW...I thought I was the only one who thought like this... :D

I did notice that when Huston was on Medium...I wonder how does that add to their bottom line, you know what I mean? So you have won...now what? I always knew that actors from the stage feel like they are lowering themselves by doing television and movies. I feel that it allows them to display their craft to a much larger audience, even though they don't get that instant gratification that comes from being on stage. I always felt Patricia was established as an actress and although I was thrilled she won the Emmy, I just felt she was a winner already. That is why it truly bothers me that the Emmy and Oscar selection process are not selected by the fans. This is why I never take the Grammys, Billboard Music Awards or any other award ceremonies where the fans are not allowed to vote seriously. Considering we are the ones buying the product, should we not have a vote about it? I am happy with the People's Choice Awards, but depending on how strong the fan base is, you may never get your person the nod they deserve. Fan strength is everything; without that, it just won't happen for that actor/actress/musician.

I guess if they allowed fans to vote more, then TJ and Patricia would be winning every year.... :lol:

I'm just disappointed that Mutant Chronicles isn't on the list. :(

But it's interesting how once someone wins an award, or is nominated, then that becomes an extension of their name or something. As if no one would know who you were talking about if you didn't add that part. Geez! ;)

Mediumfan

As for awards, with some of the folks that win, you really wouldn't know who they were without the tagline attached to their name. And I stopped paying attention to awards when I realized how much promotion goes behind it. A movie will make more money if nominations and awards are attached to it, right? It all comes down to the bottom line. Not to take anything away from Patricia Arquette. She's a wonderful actress. She doesn't need a tagline to convince folks of that.

K-skye

As for awards, with some of the folks that win, you really wouldn't know who they were without the tagline attached to their name. And I stopped paying attention to awards when I realized how much promotion goes behind it. A movie will make more money if nominations and awards are attached to it, right? It all comes down to the bottom line. Not to take anything away from Patricia Arquette. She's a wonderful actress. She doesn't need a tagline to convince folks of that.

K-skye

Well said, skye. Studios seem to think that having an award-winning ( or nominated) actor will immediately draw fans to their movie or tv show. But, as for me, I don't care if the person has won an award or not. What's going to make me watch it is how much the material appeals to me. Mostly. I will admit that there are some actors that, if I really enjoy their work (like Thomas and Patricia), I will watch whatever they do. But an Oscar-winning actor can still come out with a stinker every now and then. Just because they have an award, doesn't guarantee that everything they do is going to be worth watching.

I'm just disappointed that Mutant Chronicles isn't on the list.

Me too, skye. And Killshot. :angry:

WOW...I thought I was the only one who thought like this...

I did notice that when Huston was on Medium...I wonder how does that add to their bottom line, you know what I mean? So you have won...now what? I always knew that actors from the stage feel like they are lowering themselves by doing television and movies. I feel that it allows them to display their craft to a much larger audience, even though they don't get that instant gratification that comes from being on stage. I always felt Patricia was established as an actress and although I was thrilled she won the Emmy, I just felt she was a winner already. That is why it truly bothers me that the Emmy and Oscar selection process are not selected by the fans. This is why I never take the Grammys, Billboard Music Awards or any other award ceremonies where the fans are not allowed to vote seriously. Considering we are the ones buying the product, should we not have a vote about it? I am happy with the People's Choice Awards, but depending on how strong the fan base is, you may never get your person the nod they deserve. Fan strength is everything; without that, it just won't happen for that actor/actress/musician.

I guess if they allowed fans to vote more, then TJ and Patricia would be winning every year....

I agree about Patricia being established before she won the Emmy. She was already well-known, and although she hadn't won that many awards for her filmwork (which is criminal), she was respected and liked as an actress. Well enough that when Glenn Caron suggested her for the role on Medium, the studio jumped at the chance to have her, and never considered anyone else once her name was mentioned.

As for the fan-voting process, I have two words for you : American. Idol.

Can I just say Sanjaya Malakar? Need I say more? That's what happens when the fans are allowed to vote. It's nice that the fans are given the opportunity to choose with things like the People's Choice awards, but often the ones who are really deserving (like Thomas and Patricia) are overlooked in favor of the ones who are the hot properties of the moment, and are riding a wave of pop culture sentimentality, but are usually less deserving of others in their profession. Look at things like the Nickelodeon Kids Choice awards. Just like the People's Choice awards, they are based on popularity, not talent. Which is why we never see people like Thomas and Patricia up for those things.

Awards shows like the Oscars, Emmys, Golden Globes, and SAGs, or the Grammys or Billboards may be hypocritical to us as fans because we aren't allowed a vote in them, but they are decided by people who know the business and (usually) choose the winners based on their skill and hard work. And these awards are a double-edged sword too. The winners may not always be the fans favorites, and the fans favorites may not always be nominated for awards.

But the fixation that Hollywood has on awards and name-recognition, and status, is just bizarre. No other profession in the world has that kind of obsession with what kind of awards you've won. And probably in no other profession could you be "penalized" for not having an award. By that, I mean the ones who do have the awards recognition move to the top of the ladder, while others are left scrambling for any available handhold trying to work their way up.

And none of this is any way meant to take away from Patricia, or any of the award winners. It's not their fault that the system works that way. It's the rest of the industry that has made it that way. And I'm sure most* of the winners could care less about having that "title" in front of their name, even though it does seem to open more doors for them. I know from hearing Patricia talk about the awards, (and others talk about her winning and being nominated), that she couldn't care less about them. But I have heard of others (winners) who insist on having that "title" added to their name everytime it is mentioned.

Only in Hollywood. :P

Mediumfan

I agree about Patricia being established before she won the Emmy. She was already well-known, and although she hadn't won that many awards for her filmwork (which is criminal), she was respected and liked as an actress. Well enough that when Glenn Caron suggested her for the role on Medium, the studio jumped at the chance to have her, and never considered anyone else once her name was mentioned.

--That is the brillance of GGC. He knows a winner when he sees one. She is the only one that could have pulled this off, in my opinion.

As for the fan-voting process, I have two words for you : American. Idol.

Can I just say Sanjaya Malakar? Need I say more? That's what happens when the fans are allowed to vote. It's nice that the fans are given the opportunity to choose with things like the People's Choice awards, but often the ones who are really deserving (like Thomas and Patricia) are overlooked in favor of the ones who are the hot properties of the moment, and are riding a wave of pop culture sentimentality, but are usually less deserving of others in their profession. Look at things like the Nickelodeon Kids Choice awards. Just like the People's Choice awards, they are based on popularity, not talent. Which is why we never see people like Thomas and Patricia up for those things.

--The only reason Sanjaya stayed as long as he is did is one website: Vote for the Worst

They kept him on there; they were also the ones who got Taylor Hicks the AI nod as well. I think because TJ and Patricia don't play that Hollywood game, they will always be overlooked. Then there are moments where they cannot be denied with the acknowledgment and those are the moments where I smile from ear to ear.

And none of this is any way meant to take away from Patricia, or any of the award winners. It's not their fault that the system works that way. It's the rest of the industry that has made it that way. And I'm sure most* of the winners could care less about having that "title" in front of their name, even though it does seem to open more doors for them. I know from hearing Patricia talk about the awards, (and others talk about her winning and being nominated), that she couldn't care less about them. But I have heard of others (winners) who insist on having that "title" added to their name everytime it is mentioned.

Only in Hollywood. :P

Mediumfan

--How very true MF. I heard that Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley and now Sean Connery are requesting albeit gently that their "Sir" title is added to any pr releases as well as in trailers, etc.

Tiara said--How very true MF. I heard that Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley and now Sean Connery are requesting albeit gently that their "Sir" title is added to any pr releases as well as in trailers, etc.

I don't have a problem with that. It's a Brit thing and being knighted is a totally different animal.

JMHO

K-skye

Tiara said--How very true MF. I heard that Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley and now Sean Connery are requesting albeit gently that their "Sir" title is added to any pr releases as well as in trailers, etc.

I don't have a problem with that. It's a Brit thing and being knighted is a totally different animal.

JMHO

K-skye

Glad you wrote this K-Skye, because I am curious. I dated several Brits in my lifetime and lived in England for a little bit, and I always wanted to know what being knighted really means, so if you could share that with me, I would appreciate it so much, because I have heard so many different versions.

Thanks!

Glad you wrote this K-Skye, because I am curious. I dated several Brits in my lifetime and lived in England for a little bit, and I always wanted to know what being knighted really means, so if you could share that with me, I would appreciate it so much, because I have heard so many different versions.

Thanks!

Well, I'm no Brit and have never been there, so I'm just guessing from what I've seen over the media over the years. I'm sure it had a different meaning originally, but in present time it basically seems to signify someone who is a presence in British culture or who has contributed to British culture over the years. So it's more like a lifetime achievement award. They just don't wait until you're almost dead to bestow it. :) Good idea. So you have Sir Paul McCartney and Sir Ben Kingsley and Sir Mick Jagger and Sir Anthony Hopkins. But I'm sure you don't have to be in entertainment to be knighted. Those are just the ones that make the news over here, sometimes. The female version is Dame, as in Dame Judi Dench. I don't know if they do the sword touch on the shoulders for Dames or not.

And that's all I know, or think I know.

Any Brit out there should feel free to correct me.

K-skye

May 2nd is Iron Man. Actually somewhat intrigued, the FX look terrific, I get more warmed to this with each passing day. I'll pay.

May 9th is Speed Racer. Skipping it. Video will do.

May 16th is The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian Skipping it. Video will do.

May 22nd is Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I already have my seats cordoned off. Indy, anytime, anywhere.

May 30th is Sex and the City, The Movie I'd rather be having sex in the city than watching it. I'll take a big pass. Maybe I'm a dolt but I never watched the show.

I must admit, I was always more intrigued with the guest stars than the stars of this show. I offer this film a bone crushing REJECTION.

What's next, a film version of Law And Order?

June 6th is You Don't Mess With the Zohan Skipping it.

June 6th is also Kung Fu Panda Skipping it.

June 13th is The Incredible Hulk Intrigued. Jury's still out.

June 20th is Maxwell Smart Definitely, the teaser trailer alone sold me.

June 27th is Wall-E, the tale of a janitorial robot toiling away for centuries because no one remembered to turn him off after humanity trashes Earth to the point that the planet must be abandoned. Interesting, would love to know more.

July 2nd is Hancock Skipping it.

July 11th is Journey to the Center of the Earth No James Mason, no Timmy in the seats July 11th. I smell a film geared towards a younger audience without much for a fella like me to embrace. I smell The Mummy. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

July 11th is also Meet Dave with Eddie Murphy Skipping it.

July 18th is The Dark Knight Wouldn't miss it.

July 25th is The X-Files- It's been a while but I'm a fan of the series. Count me in.

August 1st is The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I have so many better things to do with $10. Like hire a homeless guy to kick me in the balls and and steal my clothes.

August 8th is The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 Skipping it.

August 15th is Tropic Thunder, a comedy that features Robert Downey Jr. as a white actor portraying a black character with insanely serious devotion and Tom Cruise as a bald, raving studio boss with hilarious dance moves. Until I saw the trailer I was very unmoved by the concept, but Downey Jr. won me over big time. I MUST now see Kirk Lazarus in action!

- TB

Guest FADoss

May 2nd is Iron Man (Going to see it for my birthday!!! And what the heck does "poor man's Spiderman" mean?)

May 9th is Speed Racer with Emile Hirsch, Christina Ricci and Matthew Fox (Maybe on video if I hear good things...)

May 16th is The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (Kid friendly and interesting so probably in the theaters!!!)

May 22nd is Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Maybe...for some reason I'm not nearly as pumped by this one)

May 30th is Sex and the City, The Movie (Ummm...never a big fan of the series...so probably not even on DVD)

June 6th is You Don't Mess With the Zohan with Adam Sandler (Maybe some time from now)

June 6th is also Kung Fu Panda, with the voices of Angelina Jolie, Dustin Hoffman, Jackie Chan, Lucy Liu and Seth Rogen (My daughter wants to see it...so probably in the theater)

June 13th is The Incredible Hulk with Ed Norton (I'm interested in seeing it in the theater...maybe))

June 20th is Maxwell Smart with Steve Carell, Anne Hathaway and Terence Stamp (Looks funny. DVD!!!)

June 27th is Wall-E, the tale of a janitorial robot toiling away for centuries because no one remembered to turn him off after humanity trashes Earth to the point that the planet must be abandoned. (Another one my daughter needs to see and I love EVERYTHING Pixar has done)

July 2nd is Hancock, which co-stars Charlize Theron in the tale of a churlish superhero with real problems like the rest of us. (DVD)

July 11th is Journey to the Center of the Earth (No)

July 11th is also Meet Dave with Eddie Murphy (No)

July 18th is The Dark Knight (HELL YES!!!)

July 25th is The X-Files--I Want to Believe (WITH MY LITTLE GIRL!!! She loves X-Files!)

August 1st is The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (No)

August 8th is The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 (DVD)

August 15th is Tropic Thunder, a comedy that features Robert Downey Jr. as a white actor portraying a black character with insanely serious devotion and Tom Cruise as a bald, raving studio boss with hilarious dance moves. (Maybe DVD)

My daughter drives a lot of my theater choices...so...

Fred

May 2nd is Iron Man (Going to see it for my birthday!!! And what the heck does "poor man's Spiderman" mean?)

Fred

Early birthday greetings FADoss...dang...u a Taurus? :lol:

Call me a huge Spidey fan, but even a big budget and stars does not a great film make. Don't get me wrong here -- I am excited to see this film, and I posted pics to support this film and I hope someone from RAW sees it first and gives the real review, BUT, I sure hope they don't bring excessive F/X and say here movie watchers, isn't this great? I don't think it will make as much as Spiderman worldwide. Overseas...most definitely. DVD...outrageous.

We will see.

The fact that Peter Berg is directing Hancock is really the main reason I will see that movie. Apparently people at test screenings are haveingproblems with it because it's too dark.

Guest FADoss
Early birthday greetings FADoss...dang...u a Taurus? :lol:

Call me a huge Spidey fan, but even a big budget and stars does not a great film make. Don't get me wrong here -- I am excited to see this film, and I posted pics to support this film and I hope someone from RAW sees it first and gives the real review, BUT, I sure hope they don't bring excessive F/X and say here movie watchers, isn't this great? I don't think it will make as much as Spiderman worldwide. Overseas...most definitely. DVD...outrageous.

We will see.

Well I'll be watching on the 5th! When I saw poor man's Spiderman I was hoping ticket prices would be cheaper. :P

Tiara wrote: June 27th is Wall-E, the tale of a janitorial robot toiling away for centuries because no one remembered to turn him off after humanity trashes Earth to the point that the planet must be abandoned.

Tim wrote: Interesting, would love to know more.

Here's some information with a trailer:

Wall-E Movie

Well I'll be watching on the 5th! When I saw poor man's Spiderman I was hoping ticket prices would be cheaper. :P

Get on their blogger review list and get in free... :P

Guest FADoss

Hancock!!! I guess I missed this. I knew people who were on the big crew for this one (it was called something different). Jason Bateman (who was great in Juno and The Kingdom) plays his PR guy (and there are some good twists with this one). Upon hearing Peter Berg's name I checked out the trailer. I'll change me vote to one I would like to see in theaters!!!

I had my info submitted to this one for an audition...that never happened. :(

Fred

I must say that this won't be a victorious Summer for Marvel.

Yeah, IRON MAN will kick ass and make money. The Incredible Hulk will be a monster fest and perhaps bring in more than the last one.

The two films that will dominate this year and I am looking forward to the most are The Dark Knight and Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull.

Guillermo Del Toro was hypnotized by Ledger in the Teaser, and so were the rest of us. The guy went out with a bang and I think that bang will defeat Harrison Ford's big comeback. The Dark Knight isn't about Batman. Its a fuckin Joker movie.

I was making this my 2008 must see film BEFORE Heath died. Now its just torture to have to wait 2 more months.

*I should mention the new Theatrical Trailer premieres online this Monday and will be attached to IRON MAN on Thursday.

heathledgerisjoker31brv9.jpg

-TL

I can't wait to see the type B poster they're putting out of Heath as The Joker right before it opens.

Sometimes I forget Christian Bale is in this movie.

-TL

ledgerjokerstatue.jpg

Check out the work by sculptor Kolby Jukes

Amazing work and a great salute to Heath in my opinion.

I'm buying that statue along with the Deluxe action figure by Mattel.

He's already been on the covers of (as The Joker) Wizard, Empire and Climax.

-TL