Tim Bradstreet

The Punisher

I've been looking all over for Get Castle. The last interview you posted it was mentioned and I was not recalling this book at all. Quick search lead to nothing. Great cover. Love the darker tones on that image.

He gets stitched up a little later brother Mikey

I know, FrankenCastle. I'm pretty sure Marvel figured the pun out first and worked backward from there.

I guess this is the place post this. I was searching the web and came across these pretty cool custom figures.

img3975bb.jpg

Here we have the Dolph Lundgren Punisher.

img3923yj.jpg

Here's the Thomas Jane Punisher.

img3655k.jpg img3667s.jpg img3921p.jpg

And the Ray Stevenson Punisher.

img3639k.jpg

And the Ray Stevenson Punisher.

img3639k.jpg

That one bears the closest resemblance, although they're all quite well done.

Nice Tom Atkins action you got going on there. Bout time that thing came out on dvd.

That's an incredible resemblance in the Ray Stevenson one!

The Tom Jane one could use slightly different hair. Do you have a link where you found these?

Guest AdminGuyX
Check it out, one of the Baldwin brother too! :lol:

IMG_4308-1.jpg

They're all seriously cool.

Frank needs to police up his ammo there. He'd NEVER just leaving it lying around like that! COME ON!!

;)

I agree, it's nice work, regardless of the likenesses, it's impressive.

The relaunch of Punisher MAX is on the way, scripted by the amazingly talented Jason Aaron and art by Steve Dillion. Here's a promising reveiw of issue one from AICN:

When I saw that PUNISHER MAX was hitting the shelves last Wednesday, I remember thinking “Another series? When did THE PUNISHER become the LAW AND ORDER of comic books?” It was a response similar to the one I had in 7-11 way back in Spring of 1985 when I discovered WEB OF SPIDERMAN mashed into a wiry spindle. I remember thinking “Meh…I can barely keep up with AMAZING and SPECTACULAR.” I finally got on board with issue #7 (because it featured the Hulk) but I never forgave myself for missing out on issues 1-6. After all, the long box in those days consisted of that grainy two-page ad for a comic book warehouse in Indiana.

So basically that’s a very long-winded way of saying I wasn’t letting KINGPIN #1 get away from me no matter how many PUNISHER books they’ve been shoving down my throat in the past year or so. It was the right move. Since the Kingpin first appeared in 1967, a lot of us have probably missed the boat on his rise to power. For me, he’s always been one of those key players in the Marvel Universe despite remaining an enigma for so long. I always seemed to catch him at opportune times, but again, the history of Wilson Fisk was something I had to learn about after the fact.

PUNISHER MAX gets its hands dirty with an unflinching account of the Kingpin’s rise to power. Of course, the genesis of such a major character can only be revealed so much in just one issue, but so far I like what I see. There are recognizable elements here from his current state of employment, his family ties and of course his imposing physical presence. Those familiar themes make it easy to slip right into the story and truth be told, Jason Aaron handles it brilliantly. While this is clearly a Punisher book, the focus is primarily on Fisk. What I like is that he’s presented as a fairly one-dimensional character in the beginning, and then Aaron gingerly peels back layers to reveal a startling complexity to the man behind the mobster. The book also establishes him as Frank Castle’s equal, if not superior, right off the bat. One thing that annoys me about so many graphic novels is that “Hollywood” ending. They try to hold you in suspense by placing the protagonist in precarious situations but you know in the end everything turns out okay. I don’t get that feeling here, partly because it’s a MAX comic, but mostly because the Kingpin is such a bad motherfucker.

It’s actually refreshing because it’s almost like a role reversal. Fisk is so thoroughly realized that it’s Castle who looks like the one-trick pony. Of course none of that would matter much if the art wasn’t up to snuff and Steve Dillon delivers (again). One thing I’ve always admired about Dillon’s work was his obsession with facial expressions and gratuitous close-up shots. It was one of the calling cards of Sergio Leone and Dillon handles it just as flawlessly. I can almost imagine him grinning as he brought a scene to life that involves a criminal underling getting his eyes popped out of his head. Ouch.

I went in to PUNISHER MAX: KINGPIN #1 with low expectations and that’s because the shelves have been saturated with books that continue to try and find a unique way to tell and re-tell the story of Frank Castle. By instead focusing on the rise of Wilson Fisk, Aaron and Dillon have found a fresh and exciting way to keep The Punisher relevant while simultaneously breathing new life into a character that hadn’t become stale – just overlooked. An absolute must-have.

Final Word: If you don’t enjoy PUNISHER MAX: KINGPIN #1, you probably have no business reading a PUNISHER title in the first place. Both creatively satisfying and technically proficient, this is the first time in many moons I’ve read a PUNISHER book without feeling nostalgic for Garth Ennis.

I've pretty much stopped picking up individual issue, I'm gonna finish off RASL and maybe pick up a one-shot every now and then. I'll have to check out the new series in TPB form.

That's one of the directions that was being aimed at when the MAX series came out.... Castle is older, has the squinty, Eastwood eyes and such.

I know, FrankenCastle. I'm pretty sure Marvel figured the pun out first and worked backward from there.

OMG I WANT THE RAY STEVENSON PUNISHER!!!!

What the hell...... The Punisher's home page is for sale for 5k...... that sucks. I want my Punisher website back! Fuckin A

What the hell...... The Punisher's home page is for sale for 5k...... that sucks. I want my Punisher website back! Fuckin A

Haven't been there in a while... What happend? :huh:

Wow that really sucks, but I kinda figured something was up as the whole site seemed to be sort of "dying" over the last couple of months. But, I'm willing to guess Marvel will buy up the domain name.

Yeah, it does suck. My pal Adam has had his ass kicked by a slew of personal issues lately not the least of which was a messy divorce.

My heart goes out to him because I KNOW how much the site means to him.

Damn.

- TB

Yeah I was gonna email Adam and ask him what was going on with the site because the last update was on December 12th from what I remember. Hopefully all goes well for him.