Hellboy II

kwiat_skye

Guest AdminGuyX

I'm in love with this trailer. Del Toro's hellboy, for me, is it's own animal. It's removed in tone from the comics that I love so dearly, but it's also a very solid adaptation of the characters. I love the production design on both films, the props, the attitude in general.

I liked, didn't love, the first film, but this one I have a sneaking suspicion is going to do the trick. It just looks amazing.

I am just counting the days to this flick...I am lumped in with those who LOVED, and I do mean LOVED, the 1st flick. They had me the minute they announced Ron Perlman as the lead. It was just perfect casting and it is due to his performance that I can watch the 1st Hellboy over and over again and just not get tired of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hellboy2-bfg-photo2.jpg

Some concept art:

hb2-concept-01.jpg

hb2-concept-02.jpg

hb2-concept-03.jpg

hb2-concept-04.jpg

hb2-concept-05.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd just bump this one.

I'm not exactly eloquent when it comes writing this type of shit, but I fuckin' loved the movie. The humor was great (especially drunk Hellboy and drunk Abe talking about love) and on the other end it is also a pretty dark film but it meshes well, where as the first movie dealt with the more Lovecraftian aspects of the HB universe this one deals with the fantasy, and the monsters and trolls all look beautiful. Also, In addition to being darker it's also a lot bigger film than the first one, the first one seemed a little more confined if that's the right word, the scope in this one just seems bigger. As for Perlman, I don't see how anyone else could have played that part, he is Hellboy. Also, it's great to hear Doug Jones finally voicing himself in a movie, he stays true to how the character sounds in the first movie, but he's not aping David Hype Pierce's voice.

Oh, and I can't forget to mentioned Johann Krauss (Seth MacFarlane also did a great job with the voice), he arguably almost steals the movie from Hellboy, such a great character and can't wait to see more of him in the next one. And the Troll Market and elemental attack are probably my top two scenes in the film. The Troll Market is like the new Mos Eisley's Cantina, filled with amazing looking monsters.

And that's basically my horribly written two-cents in regard to Hellboy II: The Golden Army.

• 4 months later...
Guest AdminGuyX

Got the special edition DVD this weekend. There is an amazing BTS doc called "In service of the Demon" that outlines the entire production from the first sketches of GTD's to final day of post. It almost feels like you're making the film along side Del Toro, and seeing where the Troll market was built previous to it being built was quite a nice treat.

I've already watched the movie twice too. I just love it.

Guest AdminGuyX

It's SO different though, it's difficult for me to compare them. HB is an other worldly fantasy film, and DK is a gritty crime drama.

I certainly love both films dearly, but one of the first comics I ever read was a Neal Adams issue of Batman (with Ra's Al Ghul) - from Irish 46's collection BTW, and I always had Batman stuff as a kid (including a batman hairbrush that I just friggin' loved) and that has continued into my adult collecting with his monofiliment gun, and a bunch of metal batarangs and stuff. I don't collect figures, but I'm always up for adding a well made film prop to the shelves. ;)

On that score, Hellboy is a frigin' jackpot. The Samaritan, The Big Baby, and all manner of patches, buckles, boxes, and keys get reproduced by fans, and Hellboy props are some of my favorites.

Archived