Tim Bradstreet

Jane Busted

Posted Mar 17th 2008 12:30PM

TMZ has learned "The Punisher" star Thomas Jane was busted early this morning for DUI.

Jane, whose real name is Thomas Elliot, was nabbed in Kern County, Calif. by CHP officers just before 3:00 AM. He has been charged with DUI and driving with a blood alcohol level above .08% -- both misdemeanors.

CHP tells TMZ Jane was stopped in a late-model Maserati for driving at "an extremely high rate of speed" on I-5. We're told he failed several field sobriety tests, including a breathalyzer. Cops also say he was also driving with a suspended license.

A cooperative Jane was taken to the pokey and he's already out. His arraignment is set for April 9th.

One of the internet reports stated that Jane was driving a 2-door, black, late model Maserati . . .

It's actually a quattroporte, but even with four doors it's so slick that it looks and feels like a two door.

High performance as Hell. Maybe if we convinced him to trade it in for a Saturn Vue Hybrid we could get him to slow down.

- TB

One of the internet reports stated that Jane was driving a 2-door, black, late model Maserati . . .

It's actually a quattroporte, but even with four doors it's so slick that it looks and feels like a two door.

High performance as Hell. Maybe if we convinced him to trade it in for a Saturn Vue Hybrid we could get him to slow down.

- TB

Nice car. Always reminds me of a film I saw where a guy was pulled over for doing 150 in a 45 zone. His response was, "Look officer, if they didn't want me to drive this fast they wouldn't have put it on the speedometer." Just thought that was funny.

JO

Guest AdminGuyX
I didn't mean to upset anyone. I think my tone came across the wrong way. Just meant to say that we really don't know the specific circumstances surrounding this situation yet.

No worries Amy. :)

I don't think you upset anybody.

I would say, this might be a situation where you don't have to know all the specific details to have an opinion and feelings about it though.

Maybe if we convinced him to trade it in for a Saturn Vue Hybrid we could get him to slow down.

I drive a Saturn! :)

It actually has a high performance German engine it. hahahaha. I got pulled over for speeding once, but the cop was so enamored with the canon XL-1s in my seat (I was on the way to a shoot - running late) that he started asking me camera questions and forgot to ever write me the ticket.

I just don't see Tom in a Hybrid.

:blink:

To be serious again for a moment though, if he really was

driving at "an extremely high rate of speed"

after drinking, then I'm twice as glad he was stopped. I'd fucking hate to have read about him being splattered all over I-5 in some kind of tragic crash.

That's tough to even think about.

Guest FADoss

Point taken very well Noeland. You can recover from a DUI fairly easily...but death...or killing someone else...that's another story.

I met a guy while I was living in Columbia MO years ago. Seemed like a nice dude, but he had an ankle bracelet. He was on probation. After working with him and realizing that he was an incredibly great guy and all, I finally asked him how he ended up in jail.

He was a soccer star out at MU. Very good hear tell. He thought he was invincible and did a lot of drinking and driving and high speed romps. On one of his drunken qualifying attempts he hit and killed a 14-year-old pedestrian. He told me that prison was hell, but knowing that there are two people in the world (the kid's parents) who hate him more than anything and wish him dead...THAT was something that would haunt him forever.

THAT is the hidden cost of these actions. People constantly make choices stating things like "I don't care if I die!" The true question is, can you live with killing someone else, particularly some kid...all because of nothing?

Hope that wasn't TOO depressing...or maybe I don't,

Fred

If the reports stating that he was driving on a suspended license are true, it begs the question, why did he drive TO the funeral? (or anywhere for that matter) I'm sure he could have gotten a ride from someone...

Speaking of police and car stories (this is not a DUI story), I met this guy once, he was a friend of a friend. He was the kind of guy that had multi-colored hair, wore funky clothes, etc., etc. Can't remember what state (as in the lower 48, not state of mind) he was in or what kind of car he was driving, but it was a little sports car. He was flying down the road, probably over 100mph or close to it. The police officer chased and pulled him over, looked him up and down and said to him in an intimidating fashion:

"Son, I've been waiting for you ALL DAY"

to which this guy replied

"Well, I got here as fast as I could."

The officer lost it and laughed his ass off. He wasn't expecting that, and let the guy off with a warning. :-)

Brain21

This interesting article exlains the reason why Tom's pleading not

guilty to DUI. Here's an excerpt:

"Actor Thomas Jane was stopped three times within 90 minutes March 17

for speeding on Interstate 5. The first two times there was no report

of alcohol odor or impairment, according to his lawyer.

That "is a significant issue" in defending Jane..."

Read more here:

http://www.bakersfield.com/hourly_news/story/411995.html

Jen

That is something that has puzzled me since that happened, Jen. If he was stopped three times, and he was intoxicated, as they said he was, then why didn't one of the first two officers do anything?

There are quite a few inconsistencies in the reporting of the story. And while I'm sure we don't, and have no need to, know every intimate detail, if the inconsistencies are accurate, as his lawyers are arguing, then I can't blame him for fighting it.

But if he was drinking (though maybe not "drunk"), then hopefully he will have learned from something from this, and won't make the same mistake again.

Mediumfan

Guest FADoss

SO, Tim who is a close compadre of Tom's posts soon after SPEAKING with Tom about this event...and never says anything about the charges being trumped up or bullshit...

He's stopped three times for breaking the law...and since the first two officers were obviously starstruck/incompetent or both...then the third cop must have been wrong.

To me, this is bullshit attorney work attempting to keep someone from owning up to a mistake and paying the piper.

Kind of makes me a bit mad...He was DUI. If the lawyers can come up with some bullshit way of trumping the charges thats cool I guess. Maybe one day I can do whatever I want with impunity as well...

Fred

The question I was asking was, why, if he was stopped three times, as is being reported, and argued by his attorney, then why wasn't he ticketed/arrested by one of the first two officers?

Not saying TJ wasn't guilty of something, but sounds like there are enough inconsistencies for his lawyer to argue it. Besides, that's what lawyers are for.

And just because Tim didn't say anything about the charges being bogus doesn't mean there isn't "some" truth to it. Thomas has never struck me as the sort of person who would refuse to own up to his mistakes and "pay the piper". After all, as was widely reported when this incident took place, he did not resist when arrested. If that's the case, then why would he fight it if there weren't some validity to the argument?

If it were you, I'm sure you would fight it under similar circumstances. Don't fault TJ for defending himself, if indeed there is something to defend. That's all I'm saying.

Mediumfan

I'm with Fred.

I've been in many detention cells over fighting in bars and clubs. No biggie.

They take your shoes, belt, wallet and hat and make you share a toilet with 10 guys. The guys will only use that toilet to take a piss.

Last Judge I had to deal with was Jewish and a big supporter of our troops. He asked me "Why were you drunk and out of control? You're too old to be pickin fights."

I told him "I'm too stupid to remember I'm too old to be pickin fights. I still think I'm a kid when I'm drunk."

When you fuck up - you fuck up. That's the end of it. Nothin to defend really. And when they cuff you, you know the night's almost over. You wake up, get your boots back on and pay the piper. Whatever the price may be. Guilty as charged. Guilty of being a drunk idiot.

Hell, I've never called a lawyer after an arrest (for intoxication or fighting). And I've never had a DUI. I used to get drunk on foot.

-TL

Guest FADoss

When you're guilty and try to escape charges on a loophole...I find it disgusting. And NO, I wouldn't do it. I'd try to point out the inconsistencies and have something done about those too. But when you're wrong, you stand up and admit it and take your whooping. And there is either truth or there isn't. You're over the legal limit or you aren't. It's either a LIE or it ISN'T.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion here...and I know how lawyers operate. I HATE the American legal system.

Fred

I'm not saying you're wrong, Fred. I'm not a fan at all of lawyers or our legal system. It's all screwed up. I'll be the first to admit it.

But I just don't see this as Thomas trying to weasel out of paying his dues. I just don't see him as the type to not own up to his mistakes. I'm just saying that if there weren't something there to argue, I don't think he would be fighting. I think he would be the first to step up and take his punishment.

I just think Thomas is doing exactly what you said, pointing out the inconsistencies, and trying to correct them, and the only way to do that is to not plead out. If he does that, it never goes to court and the truth never comes out.

And NO, I wouldn't do it. I'd try to point out the inconsistencies and have something done about those too. But when you're wrong, you stand up and admit it and take your whooping.

How is that different than what Thomas is doing? You're splitting hairs, Fred.

And lawyers may be the scum of the earth, but cops aren't perfect either. If they screwed up too, then it should all come out in the wash.

That's all I'm saying.

Mediumfan

He's stopped three times for breaking the law...and since the first two officers were obviously starstruck/incompetent or both (ASSUMPTION)...then the third cop must have been wrong.

To me, this is bullshit attorney work (SLANDER??) attempting to keep someone from owning up to a mistake and paying the piper. (ASSUMPTION)

Kind of makes me a bit mad...He was DUI. If the lawyers can come up with some bullshit way of trumping the charges thats cool I guess. Maybe one day I can do whatever I want with impunity as well...(ASSUMPTION)

(Bold words added by me.)

I understand your pain, Fred, but you might want to be more careful about the words you're throwing around.

Welcome to the real world, such as it is.

Since I wasn't there, I'm going to let it play itself out with no further comment from my pea brain.

A buddy of mine was stopped and busted for DUI. Just a regular guy, nobody special. He was drunk, really drunk. He paid a lawyer who specializes in DUI cases $1700 bucks. The lawyer got the case tossed on a technicality. It happens everyday, doesn't make it right, it just makes it real. My buddy actually brags about how he got off. I'd love to punch him in the head when he does that...but I hear he has a damned good lawyer...that's all it takes.

Guest FADoss
(Bold words added by me.)

I understand your pain, Fred, but you might want to be more careful about the words you're throwing around.

Welcome to the real world, such as it is.

Since I wasn't there, I'm going to let it play itself out with no further comment from my pea brain.

It's only slander if it isn't true...and those are all VERY safe assumptions. You can refuse to see what's right in front of your face if you want to. I don't think "I" am the one having trouble with the real world. You're the one that seems to have difficulty with my assumptions which are based on how the world really works.

And I wasn't there for most EVERYTHING in the history books, so should we junk all that too. Do you have to touch stove burners to believe they're hot as well?

I've got this one pegged...sorry if it hurts your feelings.

Fred

Guest FADoss
A buddy of mine was stopped and busted for DUI. Just a regular guy, nobody special. He was drunk, really drunk. He paid a lawyer who specializes in DUI cases $1700 bucks. The lawyer got the case tossed on a technicality. It happens everyday, doesn't make it right, it just makes it real. My buddy actually brags about how he got off. I'd love to punch him in the head when he does that...but I hear he has a damned good lawyer...that's all it takes.

Exactly...evidence that my above comments were not slander...or assumption...but rather educated insights and hypothesis into what happened. Again, I think Tim would have mentioned...or Tom mentioned to him...that the charges were bullshit DAYS ago when they first talked and that would have been put out here. It's pretty damned disgusting to beat something like this on a technicality even if folks do it all the time.

Fred

Exactly...evidence that my above comments were not slander...or assumption...but rather educated insights and hypothesis into what happened. Again, I think Tim would have mentioned...or Tom mentioned to him...that the charges were bullshit DAYS ago when they first talked and that would have been put out here. It's pretty damned disgusting to beat something like this on a technicality even if folks do it all the time.

Fred

Fred, you're entitled to your opinions, and your assumptions. But that don't make 'em right.

Just because Tim or Tom hasn't said anything about the charges being bogus, doesn't mean that they aren't, or that there isn't some truth to it. Maybe it simply means that the two have chosen not to discuss the details of it on the board, and don't feel that it is our place to know everything about the incident. Once again, you are making judgements without knowing all the facts.

I wouldn't call your comments "educated insights" either. They are opinions, period. And again, it is not our place to judge or make presumptions about the incident, or Thomas. It's a private matter, and his business. You can criticize the legal system, but just because SOME people take advantage of loopholes and technicalities to avoid punishment, does not mean that that is what Thomas is doing.

Some people do have a legitimate reason to fight something like this, and you, or I, don't know that this isn't the case in this instance. You are making broad generalizations and I think, unfairly, lumping Thomas into the ranks of people who do break the law and weasel their way out of it.

I get what you're saying, Fred. I really do. It is very wrong for people to take advantage of legal loopholes to weasel their way out of punishment, especially when they're guilty. But your logic is all screwed up on this one. Your assumption that this is what Thomas is doing, is like saying that since some white pigs have spots, that all spotted pigs are white. It just doesn't make sense.

Mediumfan

Guest FADoss

It makes perfect sense...

If I were posting this other than on a page associated with the man, I don't think many people would be arguing against the logic. SO many things wrong with what you are saying.

I suppose you would call all of science "opinions" as well? And if the man wanted things like a DUI to be private, he chose the WRONG damned profession. :)

As to your "shooting holes in my theory".

Tim posts on here immediately after talking to Tom about the incident. If it were bogus, don't you think that would be a pretty important fact to let his fans know about! "Hey, you're going to hear this but...". Re-read Tim's post, NOTHING there seems to indicate even a hint that Tom was anything but DUI.

He was stopped ONCE for driving over 100 MPH and let go with a warning (with a suspended license? Hence my judgment of starstruck or incompetent...) and then gets stopped AGAIN for driving over 100 MPH, same deal. Finally stopped a third time and gets the DUI. SO the legal argument is that since the first two cops didn't get him, the third must have been wrong? Come on! That doesn't sound like a loophole to you?

Quit being a fan for a minute and THINK about it...

Fred

Fred, you would argue with a signpost until it fell down and then take the wrong damn road home.

Whether I am a fan or not has nothing to do with your argument. It's stupid.

And just like when Heath Ledger died, you are making judgements and assumptions based on facts that you don't have.

And finally, even if you feel that way, it's just plain rude and disrespectful to say things like that about Thomas on his own forum.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Let it go.

Mediumfan