Sign in to follow this  
Guest AdminGuyX

Doctor Who

Guest AdminGuyX

OK, I gotta add this topic.

I was never much of a Doctor Who fan until David Tennant took over the role. Now, I love the show. I am really digging the new season (new for the US, which is the past season for the UK) with the new hot as hell companion (I'll miss her when she's gone) and I've even enjoyed the first couple of episodes of the Torchwood spin off, though it seems to be lacking something.

I just wanted to see if the Raw boards had any other Tennant Who fans here abouts.

Njc-----------

I love Doctor Who and Torchwood. Tennant's a great Doctor. I watched the first three seasons of the re-imagined series in about a week. It was that good.

Just letting you know there's another Doctor Who fan.

Guest AdminGuyX

Cool. Thanks for posting man!

I loved tonights episode on sci fi. Captain Jack showed up again, and man did they give him an awesome entrance for this episode too.

Barrowman is so much funnier playing off of Tennant. Those guys have some great chemistry.

(no gay jokes please) :P

Cool. Thanks for posting man!

I loved tonights episode on sci fi. Captain Jack showed up again, and man did they give him an awesome entrance for this episode too.

Barrowman is so much funnier playing off of Tennant. Those guys have some great chemistry.

(no gay jokes please) :P

I just started watching this show because of this topic and I must say, it's a pretty good show. I mean at least there's finally something good on sci fi.

-JO

Guest AdminGuyX

JO- the first season with Chris Eccleston wasn't quite as much fun (thought they tried) he just didn't have the comedy timing that Tennant does, and Tennant just seems more comfortable in the role in some way that Eccelston wasn't. The first season was still good, just not as good as the Tennant who episodes have been.

The reason I'm saying this is if you find yourself thinking about buying the DVD's of the show in the future, or watching them on BBC america (they show constant reruns of the first 2 seasons) I just wanted you to know that season 1 (2005) is kind of a different show than 2006, and 2007 seasons.

And now that Russel Davies is leaving the show and The show itself is even taking a year long break so Tennant can go do a movie and some plays (because they'd rather do that then replace him permanently, which I think is pretty cool) who knows what it will be like when it returns?

JO- the first season with Chris Eccleston wasn't quite as much fun (thought they tried) he just didn't have the comedy timing that Tennant does, and Tennant just seems more comfortable in the role in some way that Eccelston wasn't. The first season was still good, just not as good as the Tennant who episodes have been.

The reason I'm saying this is if you find yourself thinking about buying the DVD's of the show in the future, or watching them on BBC america (they show constant reruns of the first 2 seasons) I just wanted you to know that season 1 (2005) is kind of a different show than 2006, and 2007 seasons.

And now that Russel Davies is leaving the show and The show itself is even taking a year long break so Tennant can go do a movie and some plays (because they'd rather do that then replace him permanently, which I think is pretty cool) who knows what it will be like when it returns?

Oh, I've only seen the second season. I appreciate the info. Tennant is alot better for the role than Chris Eccleston, now that I've seen a few of the 1st season episodes.

That's great that they take a break instead of replacing him. I hate it when they do that in movies and shows, total jip.

-JO

Guest AdminGuyX

My understanding is that tennant still wants to play Who, and he's the most popular who ever for the BBC, so why not give the man a year off? I don't think they could line up a decent replacement in time for a new season anyhow, but I do believe it was considered.

I've heard though that he'll be in a few torchwood episodes for this coming season though.

I agree about the alien worlds. Like to see more of that.

Tennant's second season is by far my favorite in a loooong time.

Don't know if "Blink" has aired here yet but that episode downright creeped me the fuck out.

It's been a long time since a TV show did that to me. Some other classic episodes as well, mainly "Human Nature (Part 1)", and "The Family of Blood (Part 2)". One of the best Doctor Who episodes ever. Damn good television.

As for Torchwood, just stick with it. It definitely finds it's legs about mid season and gets really very good.

Cannot wait for the new season!

Captain Jack rocks!

- TB

LONDON – Britain's best-known time traveler is ending his journey.

The BBC has announced that Scottish actor David Tennant will leave long-running science fiction series "Doctor Who" in just over a year.

Tennant has played the show's time- and space-traveling alien hero since 2005. He will appear in a Christmas special and four hour-long episodes to be aired in 2009 and early 2010. But he said Wednesday that when the series returns for a full season in 2010, "it won't be with me."

"This show has been so special to me," Tennant said. "I don't want to outstay my welcome."

"Doctor Who" was first broadcast in 1963 and is one of the BBC's longest-running and most popular programs. Tennant is the 10th actor to play the title character, who has the power to regenerate in a new body.

Classically trained Tennant, 37, is currently starring in Shakespeare's "Hamlet" for the Royal Shakespeare Company.

___

On the Net:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

Source: Yahoo!

Guest AdminGuyX

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7698539.stm

Sad news. Sad Day. :(

My favorite Doctor Who ever is stepping down.

If Stephen Moffit wasn't becoming the new showrunner, I'd have to brush the show off completely, but he's really an amazing writer, and now that he's got himself a clean slate for the Doctor, I'll be interested to see who they cast for 2010.

Still, we have a few specials with Tennant as Who in 2009, and those are usually pretty good because they have higher production values than episodes do.

BAH!!!!!

:(

:huh:

:angry:

Wow, what a shame in one sense as Tennant has been so magnetic in the role. I hate to see him leave so soon.

You just know that part of him does want to stay for another 3 years, but he's savvy and talented and there are other opportunities.

As much as I'm sure he'd love to play The Doctor it has a way of being career defining.

And no 37 year old actor in their right mind wants to get stuck in one role for the rest of their life.

Still, lot's of actors have lived to regret making decisions like this. I don't think that will be the case with Tennant.

Best of luck to him, can't wait for the new episodes, and a year from now, another Doctor.

Eccleston and Tennant were great choices, I hope the show's producers can keep the standards up on that note.

The search is on . . . WHO will be the next Doctor?

- TB

LONDON – The BBC says little-known actor Matt Smith will take over the title role in the long-running sci-fi series "Doctor Who."

The 26-year-old is the 11th actor to star in one of Britain's most popular TV shows — and the youngest.

Smith has appeared on the London stage and starred in the political TV drama "Party Animals," but is a relative unknown. The new role will make him a major star in Britain, where "Doctor Who" regularly draws 10 million viewers an episode.

"Doctor Who" was first broadcast in 1963 and centers on a time-traveling alien known only as The Doctor who can regenerate into new human bodies.

Current star David Tennant plans to leave the show after four special episodes this year. The BBC said Saturday that Smith will take over in 2010.

News Link

Guest AdminGuyX

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7808697.stm

This link has a short video interview with him. He comes off badly. Very badly. I'm practically depressed here. What the fuck is he doing with his hands? He's gotta be related to someone at the BBC to land this role after being a professional actor for 2 years, and appearing in nothing of note. I mean, how does a guy like this even get an audition?

Hell, was it just an open casting call?

Mind you, I really don't have an issue with choosing an unknown. That's a bold choice, I can respect that, but the person who takes this role from Tennant had better be quite amazing.

Tennant instilled the character with whimsy and intelligence, and really gave him an energy and a watchability nobody had in a very long time, maybe ever before.

He's a tough act to follow for anybody.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7808697.stm

This link has a short video interview with him. He comes off badly. Very badly. I'm practically depressed here. What the fuck is he doing with his hands? He's gotta be related to someone at the BBC to land this role after being a professional actor for 2 years, and appearing in nothing of note. I mean, how does a guy like this even get an audition?

Hell, was it just an open casting call?

Mind you, I really don't have an issue with choosing an unknown. That's a bold choice, I can respect that, but the person who takes this role from Tennant had better be quite amazing.

Tennant instilled the character with whimsy and intelligence, and really gave him an energy and a watchability nobody had in a very long time, maybe ever before.

He's a tough act to follow for anybody.

Got to agree this choice seems very bad to begin with then after watching the interview it seems even worse.

It's the safe choice in my opinion. There was that rumor of Chitewel Ejiofor being courted as the next doctor, even though I knew it was bullshit, it would have been nice to see black actor take on the role.

Guest AdminGuyX

It would have been nice to see an actor take the role. I've been reading this guy is a football player who does acting in his spare time.

The only thing I've seen him in was a deleted scene from In Bruges (he decapitates a detective).

OK, not strictly movie, but totally news, the BBC has announced the new Doctor Who, to take the role when David Tennant steps down next year, and his name is (drumroll please) Matt Smith.

Who, we hear you cry? Well, Smith has worked in theatre with the National and Royal Court, and has worked with former Who companion Billie Piper in two Philip Pullman adaptations, The Ruby in the Smoke and The Shadow in the North, and in Secret Diary of a Call Girl. He also played a political researcher in Party Animals for the BBC.

At only 26, the Eleventh Doctor is the youngest ever, beating previous youngling Peter Davidson by more than 3 years.

"It was abundantly clear that he had that 'Doctor-ness' about him," said BBC Wales Head of Drama Piers Wenger. "You are either the Doctor or you are not. It's just the beginning of the journey for Matt.

"With Steven Moffat's scripts and the expertise of the production team in Cardiff behind him, there is no one more perfect to be taking the Tardis to exciting new futures when the series returns in 2010."

After the storming success of Tennant's Doctor, Smith has enormous, clown-sized Converse shoes to fill, but let's hope that he can succeed as well.

Source: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23940

I think we should wait and see what the kid does.

I don't have a problem with his look, it's odd obviously, but with the doctor that seems fitting.

Tom Baker and John Pertwee were oddball too, as were Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy.

I kind of like his oddball energy and he definitely seems like he understands the gravity of taking on the role.

I'm curious about what he could be like. I'm intrigued.

I'll be sitting tight and waiting to see what he brings.

'sides, if Smith sucks and is universally despised he won't last long. Doctor Who's ratings are huge in the UK.

Doubt they'd suffer a huge drop in ratings and viewers unless they want to risk losing the show.

If the kid blows, people will tune out.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

They won't end the show. It's way too popular. They'll just replace him. They are getting to the point though where they will have to change the circumstances around regenerations, because there is supposed to be a finite amount of times he can change.

I'm going to give the show a chance with this guy because of Moffit taking over as showrunner. Moffit has written all my favorite episodes of Doctor Who. I wasn't a huge fan of Eccleston in the role either, but I still watched.

A good companion will help. :)