Sign in to follow this  
Tiara

Terminator: Salvation

This film can still go either way in my opinion. I don't care for McG (Which sounds like a rap superstar to me) and the only thing I can personally say that I liked what he did was when he put Sam Rockwell in Charlie's Angels.

I didn't really care for Terminator 3, it felt unwanted and just not needed in my opinion. Terminator 1 & 2 are classics and 3 in no way showed those films gratitude.

But I am looking foward to Bale's performance and hopefully this film will surprise me and change my mind about the Terminator franchise.

JO

The ending to Terminator 3 was great. You don't see a bleak ending like that on too many big budget studio movies.

Another thing I've been hearing is that the movie isn't going to be PG-13, so that's some good news.

I'm not anti Christian Bale. I'm just not very excited about seeing him as John Connor. I've been thinking about it and I think my uneasiness stems from the fact that I've already seen him in two futuristic sci-fi type settings - Reign of Fire and Equilibrium. Casting him in yet another "view of a possible future" bends my brain. I would have rather had an unknown actor in the part.

Oh well.

I'm getting jacked for Salvation.

Those pics are practically worthless though. So tiny, and not even necessarily stills. More like set shots.

I've been a big fan of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, on TV. Got into it from the start last year.

Lena Headey is pretty great. Thomas Dekker, who plays John Conner surprised the hell out of me by actually being pretty good.

Summer Glau is not doing too much she didn't do in Firefly, but she's effective. A recent episode showed an interesting flashback with insight into her character that actually allowed her to play some emotion, and she was very compelling. Finally we got to really see her act. I was impressed.

The episodes are pretty fun as it's pretty much a continuing story and not one-offs each week.

Sad news though. I heard from Jim Daly that it's getting cancelled.

Why am I not shocked? It happens to pretty much every show I dig.

Last year's Journeyman is a prime example. Boomtown, Enterprise (just when it was getting honest to God good), Deadwood . . .

What's next . . . Life? That show fucking rocks.

Will Dexter suddenly get cancelled?

Hopefully (if the powers that be have any intelligence) they can end the series as a set-up to Salvation.

That would be cool.

- TB

I think this is the role that will define Christian Bale.

Everytime I watch the Trailer, I buy into him instantly.

Something I never did with the Batman movies.

*I also wanna add that Roland Kickinger is the PERFECT choice for a pre-Arnold Terminator model.

kickingerbay3.jpg

For those who didn't know, Kickinger played Arnold in his Olympian years (1970-1977) in See Arnold Run.

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX

Tim, Summer was excellent in The Unit last season.

She played the weary wife of an Army special forces soldier, who has to deal with constant worry nd fear. The solder ends going into the private sector to work security in Iraq. He makes more money, and things get better until he gets hurt.

Bad things happen, she ends up sleeping with one of the guys in The Unit (Max Martini) and gets a little bit "fatal attraction" on him afterwards.

She was pretty darn good. The show is a little grating some times, as a show, but I still like it.

I for one am looking forward to Salvation. I know I will like it better than 3, because I hated 3 with every fiber of my being.

And I dig Bale as John Connor.

Makes you wonder if Bale jumped into another franchise because he knows something about the Batman franchise we don't, huh?

;)

Oh, PS - I think Roland Kickinger is perfect too. A friggin' CLONE. I have a feeling it will be a fairly seamless transition visually speaking, it's just a matter of his phsyicality and presence. Kickinger is by all accounts a good guy, and a decent actor, so I wish him well.

Why am I not watching The Unit?

I must be daft.

Summer and Max? He's easily got her by 20+ years. Nice one Max!

As for Bale and the franchise jumping, I don't really feel that's the case.

I think it's more of a case of hot actor getting opportunities.

Bale could have easily said no to Terminator, a franchise that had it's best days years ago.

But considering the prequel nature, the iconic-ness of the John Conner character (here, where he is the leader of mankind), the project looks pretty juicy.

Any issues with who'd be directing were likely put to bed after Bale and McG met. I think McG's intentions with this film are honest and they both must have had some alignment in terms of the vision and how they saw the character. I think it's a smart move. Batman would end someday, but so would The Terminator (for Bale).

And The Terminator may only be one film. Bale is a smart guy. And as a still young action star, who wouldn't want to be a part of these kinds of A list genre projects?

- TB

I'm still not sure about this one, mostly because of the McG factor. He hasn't really done anything to change my mind of him as a director. The most praise I can give him, is that I'm a fan of the show Supernatural, and even then I'm assuming he doesn't have much of a hand in the creative process for it.

Guest AdminGuyX

Oh, I agree with you Tim. And Bale brought Nolan on board as a writer, so I expect the film to be pretty good in that respect. I love the teaser.

And I also really enjoyed We Are Marshall. I love football films anyway, but I was surprised with McG's work. I'm not completely sold on him, but if he hits a home run with Terminator, I just might be. ;)

I understand folks reservations with him behind the camera. I just have a feeling he'll give us a cool flick.

I'd like to think Bale was a fan of the first two films, and just loves the idea of being John Connor the same way I do.

But, with the recent rumor of Nolan possibly not returning for the next Batman, I have to wonder if Bale knew that already when he took the role of John Connor. It was just a thought.

Why am I not watching The Unit?

I must be daft.

Maybe. But I only watch it once in a while because I can't stand the wives. Particularly the short-haired brunette. I did catch an episode where the unit was hooked up with an undisciplined group, I think in Afghanistan. No wives in that episode. That one I enjoyed watching. I watched it again when I caught it as a repeat.

I think it's a personality conflict on my part. If I knew short-haired brunette chick in real life, we would not be hanging out together.

As far as Terminator goes, I'm slowly warming up to Bale as John Connor. Very slowly.

k-skye

But, with the recent rumor of Nolan possibly not returning for the next Batman, I have to wonder if Bale knew that already when he took the role of John Connor. It was just a thought.

I think Bale saw something in Connor that felt right, even to the point of breaking him out of his Batman shell.

As far as I'm concerned, The Dark Knight is a film on its own, not really part of a franchise even though technically it is.

It began with Heath and it ended with Heath's death.

Bale seems to have a found a new beginning in the future :)

-TL

I'll give it this the cast is pretty good.

Though apparently, McG lies about getting a blessing from Cameron before he took the film. So that's kinda of a shitty thing to do.

Guest FADoss
I think Bale saw something in Connor that felt right, even to the point of breaking him out of his Batman shell.

As far as I'm concerned, The Dark Knight is a film on its own, not really part of a franchise even though technically it is.

It began with Heath and it ended with Heath's death.

Bale seems to have a found a new beginning in the future :)

-TL

And again, you''re in the minority here thinking that Bale did a bad job as Batman. The ONLY widespread criticism of Bale as Batman is his "Batman voice". He was PHENOMENAL in Begins. He was good in Dark Knight.

As for Ledger, it would be rather un-PC of me to say that a good actor asked to play a psychopath in, basically a mask, could pretty much do what Heath did. AND if they were coked up, it would be easier.

Bale is a great actor and deserves this AND deserves another Batman film.

Fred

In the context of TL's response or in the context of the classic line delivered by William Munny in Unforgiven?

;)

- TB

Guest FADoss

So all I have to do is post movie quotes in response to points in a debate...

That will make this board so much easier to navigate.

Fred

"Fuck you, Dave. You know you got a big mouth. You make a close, this whole place stinks with your farts for a week - how much you just ingested. Oh, what a big man you are! 'Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it.' Whoof! You're pal closes, and all that comes out of your mouth is bile. Ooh, how fucked-up you are!"

I win the thread.

McG Updates Terminator Salvation: Post Production Time:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/10/22/mcg-up...roduction-time/

The creator that makes me most optimistic about the fourth Terminator movie isn't the director, McG, or even the star, Christian Bale. It's the production designer, Martin Laing. If you saw City Of Ember, then you already venerate Laing's attention to detail and the raw ambition that made that underground city a real place. Now a new featurette showcases his design work for Terminator Salvation, and it's honestly breathtaking. And quite spoilery.

Continue reading:

New Terminator 4 Video Shows Martin Laing's Painterly War Movie