Sign in to follow this  
Tiara

Terminator: Salvation

From REUTERS:

The fourth movie in the "Terminator" franchise will reach North American theaters on May 22, 2009, coinciding with the U.S. Memorial Day holiday weekend, distributor Warner Bros. said.

Christian Bale will star as rebel leader John Connor in "Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins," which is scheduled to begin production in the spring in New Mexico.

"Charlie's Angels" filmmaker McG will direct the movie, which is expected to be the first in a new "Terminator" trilogy.

The series, which originated in 1984 and made Arnold Schwarzenegger a star, centered on a robot from the future where machines wage war against humanity, whose goal was to kill Sarah Connor, the mother of the future leader of the human resistance. As the movies progressed, the son, played by Edward Furlong in 1991's "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" and Nick Stahl in 2003's "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines," took a more prominent role.

Sony Pictures will handle international distribution. Warner Bros. and Sony had a similar arrangement for "Terminator 3," which grossed $433 million worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo.

Well, I never would have thought of Bale for John Connor, but it is a rather somber role. Bale can definitely do somber.

Bale is a pretty good choice. He can bring on that very stylised look and seriousness that this film needs. I'm still not a huge fan McG though.

JO

Yeah, I personally couldn't have cared less for McG's work.

I never saw Charlie's Angels (or the sequel) at the theater but caught what little I could stand on cable.

Impressed I wasn't.

Then along came a little movie called "We Are Marshall".

A film I quite enjoyed. What could have easily descended into massive melodrama was instead (I thought) handled without a heavy hand and done very respectfully and straight forward. Not an easy thing to do with a story so obviously melodramatic. The director never lingered on that O' so easy audience trigger.

As the film ended I was SHOCKED to see that it was directed by McG.

And I'm so glad I was surprised by that. No studio BS with the marketing trumpeting McG as the director.

Thankfully it didn't even make sense to the bean counters to advertise the film - From The Director of Charlie's Angels! - We Are Marshall!!!!!

Mercifully so. I think We Are Marshall was a feather in McG's cap.

So my point here is that I wouldn't count McG out of delivering something you may not expect from him here.

After We Are Marshall I can easily remain optimistic.

- TB

Yeah, I personally couldn't have cared less for McG's work.

I never saw Charlie's Angels (or the sequel) at the theater but caught what little I could stand on cable.

Impressed I wasn't.

Then along came a little movie called "We Are Marshall".

A film I quite enjoyed. What could have easily descended in massive melodrama was instead (I thought) handled without a heavy hand and done very respectfully and straight forward. Not an easy thing to do with a story so obviously melodramatic. The director never lingered on that O' so easy audience trigger.

As the film ended I was SHOCKED to see that it was directed by McG.

And I'm so glad I was surprised by that. No studio BS with the marketing trumpeting McG as the director.

Thankfully it didn't even make sense to the bean counters to advertise the film - From The Director of Charlie's Angels! - We Are Marshall!!!!!

Mercifully so. I think We Are Marshall was a feather in McG's cap.

So my point here is that I wouldn't count McG out of delivering something you may not expect from him here.

After We Are Marshall I can easily remain optimistic.

- TB

We Are Marshall was good but the best thing about Charlie's Angels was Sam Rockwell, in a cool part as a villan, and Drew Barrymore. I never saw the sequel though. But those two films were at least somewhat enjoyable.

JO

We Are Marshall was good but the best thing about Charlie's Angels was Sam Rockwell, in a cool part as a villan, and Drew Barrymore. I never saw the sequel though. But those two films were at least somewhat enjoyable.

JO

Agree about Rockwell and Barrymore and the only reason I wanted to see the sequel was for Demi Moore. I loved We Are Marshall.

I don't care much for McG's work, outside of the fact that he's a producer on Supernatural. Which I think is just a great genre show, it's surprising how much blood and violence they get away with for a network show.

First McG decides to remake the great British sitcom Spaced (which is a horrible idea on so many levels*). Now comes word that Terminator: Salvation will be PG-13, because you know switching an R-rated franchise to PG-13 worked so well for Alien vs. Predator.

*Seriously fuck him for going through with this remake.

What I'd like to do to those people:

0505terminator.jpg

You know, I think films can be dark and PG-13, but I wish it would happen on it's own. I don't like how stuidos butcher films to get a rating. Make the film, and if it falls into the PG-13 area, great. But if it's R, leave it. Don't cut the shit out of it. That's where a lot of PG-13 films fall apart for me, they go for the R, then cut the shit out of it leaving it a mess. King Aurther , anyone?

Not to start any confusion on my stance, I do think it should be R.

I don't care much for McG's work, outside of the fact that he's a producer on Supernatural. Which I think is just a great genre show, it's surprising how much blood and violence they get away with for a network show.

Was HE really the producer?? Damn.

I've seen We are Marshall and I enjoyed that film, considering football movies are overdone.

As for the terminator revamp...I'm still uncertain. This goes back to the remake arguement for me.

Yeah, not bad at all. Though it's bit odd that this movie, which I was not looking forward to at all, has made kinda rethink it with the teaser. Where as the Punisher: War Zone teaser did basically the opposite.

Also, there is a pretty interesting split second shot 34 seconds into it. It looks to be a Terminator prototype.

EDIT: Here's a picture of it.

TerminatorSalvation-teaser.jpg

Supernatural is an incredible TV show. Every episode is like it's own horror movie, and it's totally creepy and gory- funny too. I think he's also executive producer on Chuck, which is a pretty good show too.

I'm having a difficult time getting into Christian Bale as John Connor. I think of him too much as Batman. I suppose he'll be good in the role, but I'm not feeling it.

Kwiat, I just think the man is doing TOO MUCH.

Connor shoulda gone to another actor, with no links to another major movie franchise.

Now, the flipside of that coin is - Bale is somewhat useless as Batman.

When you watch The Dark Knight, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I like the guy, but his Batman is easily overshadowed by its surroundings.

Keaton could stand up to Nicholson and Chris Walken with the smallest form of dialogue.

Liam Neeson and Cillian Murphy stole Batman Begins, and Heath Ledger basically sat on Bale in The Dark Knight.

With Terminator Salvation, he's got no real competition on-screen.

-TL

Guest FADoss

Oh bullshit TL, if they would have given it to Jackman you would have blown a wad and posted a million pictures on here by now.

Bale is the shit holmes.

Fred

Guest AdminGuyX

The first film I saw Bale in was Empire of The Sun (still one of my favorite movies), and I've seen him in every film he's made since. I think he's a great choice.

I guess he's not just Batman to me because I've been a fan for so long, and the fact that he looks an awful lot like the actor who played the older John Conner from T2, that we got glimpses of, makes it easy for me to see him in the role. I don't identify him with just Batman, very much as I didn't with Keaton, who I like but always felt was horribly miscast as Batman.

I still struggle with anyone other than James Cameron helming a Terminator flick, but it's the world we live in these days. Many of my favorite franchises have grown past the old guard.

Bale's Batman voice still needs work.

After seeing the Watchmen trailer, and hearing Rorschach's voice, I thought that's what Bale should have sounded like in Begins.

The first film I saw Bale in was Empire of The Sun (still one of my favorite movies), and I've seen him in every film he's made since. I think he's a great choice.

I guess he's not just Batman to me because I've been a fan for so long, and the fact that he looks an awful lot like the actor who played the older John Conner from T2, that we got glimpses of, makes it easy for me to see him in the role. I don't identify him with just Batman, very much as I didn't with Keaton, who I like but always felt was horribly miscast as Batman.

I still struggle with anyone other than James Cameron helming a Terminator flick, but it's the world we live in these days. Many of my favorite franchises have grown past the old guard.

Completely agree. I mean American Psycho and for Pete's sake The Machinist. Two very good fuckin' films with performances that this man embodied.

JO

Guys,

Almost every review of The Dark Knight points out Bale's flaws and uselessness in the film.

He's not bad - but he's not great.

Gary Oldman whoops the man in every scene, and Aaron Eckhart has him in the back seat too.

As for Ledger...

TOTAL ECLIPSE.

-TL

*Mike - the voice gets even worse than it was in Batman Begins. He sounds like he's got a sore throat.

From what I understand and from what I saw when I watched the film, Bale is simply portraying Batman/Bruce as more of a sympathetic person. He hasn't gotten to those dark places yet, not where Keaton's Bruce/Batman was and right now he is simply losing control of what he finds dear to him. He isn't supposed to be some cool as hell badass, they're simply trying to show he's just like us, flawed. Which from interviews I read with Ledger, Oldman & Caine is what they said Bale was going for.

Just my opinion.

JO

Guest AdminGuyX

I haven't seen TDK yet, and have been avoiding the thread!!

Lets keep this one about Terminator please.

:)