Sign in to follow this  
Arsh

WATCHMEN

What a joke.

This is the worst trailer for the biggest piece of shit movie idea since Ishtar.

Zack Snyder should be flogged.

How could he drop the ball so badly?

I would have vomited while watching this dreck if I'd have saved the plastic from the GWAR concert I went to 10 years ago and had my keyboard covered.

I'm so angry I could kick puppies.

Did anyone start to buy that?

I couldn't resist.

This looks A-Mazing.

I really hope they duplicate that shot of the Comedian set up at a window with his sniper rifle, was that a cover?

What impossible to adapt project will Snyder do next? If only it could be D U N E.

Can't wait for this.

- TB

I came very close to going with Bonfire Of The Vanities but pulled back because the idea was good, it just didn't deliver on the promise.

Was that the beginning of De Palma's downfall?

Excluding Carlito's Way, and to a certain extent Mission Impossible, the last two decades have not been kind.

Sorry more off topic - I just saw that he's directing, and in pre-production on another Untouchables movie. This one with Gerard Butler.

- TB

;)

Guest FADoss

So TL, interested in hearing your comment on all the bright colors in this comic book movie? :)

Fred

Fred to be honest with you, that last Trailer for The Spirit turned me the fuck off.

The first one, which was basically pure SIN CITY lure - had me STOKED. Specially with the theme from DePalma's The Untouchables.

The second trailer, with all those fuckin blues and purples (along with Samuel motherfuckin Jackson) sent me runnin.

This movie is pure Snyder - which means its gonna be source material accurate and VERY color friendly.

I like dark, gritty shit.

No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, American Ganster.

I will watch WATCHMEN, but I won't jack off to it.

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX

I think Synder is pretty good at color grading his films. He has a real knack for adding production value in post. It's not a skill all directors have. I suppose that's why they're calling him a "visionary" these days.

;)

Guest FADoss
Fred to be honest with you, that last Trailer for The Spirit turned me the fuck off.

The first one, which was basically pure SIN CITY lure - had me STOKED. Specially with the theme from DePalma's The Untouchables.

The second trailer, with all those fuckin blues and purples (along with Samuel motherfuckin Jackson) sent me runnin.

This movie is pure Snyder - which means its gonna be source material accurate and VERY color friendly.

I like dark, gritty shit.

No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, American Ganster.

I will watch WATCHMEN, but I won't jack off to it.

-TL

Oh I agree with you. This will be a beautiful and epic piece...but as far as color goes...I'm seeing a bit of War Zone...which I personally don't have a problem with.

Fred

I think Synder is pretty good at color grading his films. He has a real knack for adding production value in post. It's not a skill all directors have. I suppose that's why they're calling him a "visionary" these days.

;)

Another thing Snyder seems to be good at is picking music for his movies and trailers. I thought the music in Dawn of the Dead was pretty great from Johnny Cash to The Jim Carroll Band and then the use of Nine Inch Nails in the 300 trailers and now this Smashing Pumpkins song (which is oddly enough from the Batman & Robin soundtrack).

Fred - Your comments were pointed at TL but I'd like to take a moment to address your innocent ribbing if you will allow me.

So TL, interested in hearing your comment on all the bright colors in this comic book movie? :)

Fred

This will be a beautiful and epic piece...but as far as color goes...I'm seeing a bit of War Zone...which I personally don't have a problem with.

Fred

Still, you can't even compare the two, aside from Watchmen and Punisher both being comic books, and now comic book based movies.

What works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other.

If I could helm a Punisher film I'd light it like Road To Perdition, or State Of Grace.

If I could helm a Hellblazer movie it might look more like Watchmen or Warzone.

Imagine Spiderman shot like Shawshank Redemption, or Saving Private Ryan. Wouldn't fit.

Actually that would have been cool, but it never would have appealed to a mass audience.

Now imagine Seven being shot like Batman And Robin, or Dick Tracy.

Would The Crow have been the seminal "Goth" revenge film of the 90's if it had been shot like The Apple Dumpling Gang?

I'm using big contrasts to make my point but you see what I mean right?

Thematically I see a Punisher film that reflects the mood and personality of the main character, or the central theme (which is bloody dark mate). So when I saw a lot of pure saturated color used in conjunction with heavy black it threw me off. It doesn't kill it for me because it could have been even more extreme. It just surprised me.

This is what I mean when I say just because it's based on a four-color comic, it doesn't have to look like one.

If you are going for nostalgia or kitsch I see the angle.

I just don't necessarily see such an angle where The Punisher is concerned.

Perhaps I'm overlooking it. In a way, it could be considered a form of nostalgia to want to emulate the book to appeal to comic readers.

But I have to ask myself . . . What is the readership of Punisher Max? Let's be generous and say 100,000 - That's roughly $800,000.00 bucks spent by fans of the comic.

Let's quadruple it to allow for past fans of the character. Hell, let's double that on top. Even so, Max fans will end up accounting for only a small percentage of a "hoped for" box office take.

All I'm saying is - sometimes you have to leave four color behind. Especially if you are working in a form of media that eclipses that of comic book readership.

My comments are by no means meant as a condemnation of the film (Warzone), the filmmakers, or their talent.

Steve answered to a lot of the worries I had. In the end they wanted to make a movie for the fans and there is not a thing wrong with that.

I'm just offering food for thought.

- TB

Apologies for the derail!

;)

Looks pretty cool!

I've been following the development of Watchmen for years, and I was really bummed out when the Greengrass helmed did not go ahead, despite coming so close.

But now, after seeing what Zack Snyder is doing...it was all for the better.

Snyder wathches the watchmen, and seems to do so very well.

Guest FADoss

Yet another example as to Fox being a bunch of evil fuckheads....though you'd think the lawyers at WB and possibly the folks at DC Comics and their lawyers would have paid more attention before finishing the film.

Say what you want about FOX...they are cunning bastards.

Fred

Here's the article Tiara posted the link to:

Fox seeks to stop WB's WATCHMEN after court win

By Alex Dobuzinskis

"Twentieth Century Fox said on Monday it will seek an injunction to block release of the Warner Bros. movie WATCHMEN after a Los Angeles court ruled a copyright lawsuit against Warner can go forward.

Zack Snyder's highly anticipated film, with a budget believed to be about $120 million is slated for release on March 6, said Warner Bros. spokesman Scott Rowe.

In his decision released last week, Judge Gary Feess of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California wrote that FOX could hold some of the rights to the material, even if it did not hold all rights.

FOX argues it acquired motion picture rights to the WATCHMEN graphic novel in the late 1980s, and that even though it relinquished certain rights to the material in 1991 it held onto the right to distribute the first movie.

"We will be asking the court to enforce FOX's copyright interests in WATCHMEN and enjoin the release of the Warner Brothers film and any related WATCHMEN media that violate our copyright interests in that property," said FOX spokesman Gregg Brilliant.

Rowe says the ruling only means the case will go forward.

"The judge did not opine at all on the merits, other than to conclude that FOX satisfied the pending requirements. We respectfully disagree with FOX's position and do not believe they have any rights in and to this project,"

Feess' ruling was issued on Wednesday, in response to Warner Bros' request to have the case dismissed. Warner Bros. made the request after FOX sought an injunction against release of WATCHMEN.

FOX filed its lawsuit against Warner Bros. in February. FOX's accusations against its rival studio included copyright infringement, interference with contract and breach of contract.

DC Comics is a subsidiary of Warner Bros, which is owned by Time Warner Inc. FOX is owned by News Corp."

I smell a postponement in the release.

-TL

All they want is some money, WB will pay them out and that, hopefully be the end of it.