sidewaysgaze

Killshot

Straight to DVD seems likely.

Just remember, if it can happen to Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey, it can happen to ANYONE.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389957/

If a studio is going to get behind a project and green light it in the first place, how does it make sense to abandon it?

Especially with this pedigree of story, based on Elmore Leonard's novel, screenplay credited to Hossein Amini, but with extensive rewrites by John Madden, Anthony Minghella, and Sydney Fucking Pollack. Add direction by Madden (an Academy Award nominated director), Jane, Lane, Rourke, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Rosario Dawson. . . And oh yeah, executive produced by Tarantino. What's not to like?

Add to that, cinematography by the 5 time Academy Award nominated master, Caleb Deschanel.

You KNOW it's got to look great. And a score by the always awesome Klaus Badelt.

Pedigree all over this thing.

Have some balls, figure out a marketing strategy, and put it on SCREENS for fucksakes.

- TB

Amen TB

This is ridiculous -- you know, I used to read this website and catch up on the latest and greatest news. Then everything stopped; not fair.

I watched Unknown like 2 weeks ago and the trailer for Killshot was on the dvd. This movie came out over a year ago and Killshot looked good enough to be released then. Just put it on dvd already. They will make more money on dvd than releasing it in two cities anyway. Damn am I frustrated with this. I think they origionaly held it off because A History Of Violence was released not long before it and they are somewhat similar. There is no fear of that anymore so on with the show. Sorry to rant, just fed up with the Weinsteins right now.

ahhhh....The Weinstein Company, don't you just love them? NOT.

Just got this email and had to share...

Written by the infamous KCarr:

There was a time when Harvey and Bob Weinstein were the heroes of American cinema. Their company Miramax had made a powerful name for itself in film, and they seemed to be the only people in the business who were actually in touch with the audience.

Now, however, we are seeing that these guys are just big douchebags, like so many other people in the business.

After bailing from Disney, whom they blamed for their troubles, the brothers founded The Weinstein Company, which was to produce and distribute high-quality independent films and kick-ass genre releases under the Dimension banner. That split happened in late 2005, and the Weinstein Company had a nice list of award nominees for the upcoming season.

However, once they burned through their slate of Miramax properties, their tightly-wound grip on the industry began to unravel. Now, other upstart companies like Lionsgate and Paramount Vantage are filling the artistic void the Weinsteins have left.

And this is why I am presenting you with ten reasons why the Weinsteins can kiss my fat, furry ass.

10. Any movie they don’t screen for critics – With the exception of last year’s SiCKO (which was already available on YouTube prior to release), we haven’t received a screening of a full-blown Weinstein movie in the past two years. The Dimension and MGM releases have been a little more forthcoming with press screenings, but even those have plenty of films left off the schedule.

9. Voice-over shenanigans – The Weinsteins re-dubbed the otherwise cute Magic Roundabout with an American cast and turned it into a turd known as Doogal. Nothing like a farting moose and Jimmy Fallon to make a film appealing for the whole family. Soon after this, they ruined Luc Besson’s film Arthur and the Invisibles by making changes for the American audience (including Jimmy Fallon again in voice-over stupidity). I thought these guys were supposed to preserve the integrity of their movies.

8. Feast – This was supposed to be the big push of the Project Greenlight series into genre films, with a hope for mainstream audiences. Instead, a botched theatrical release had the film landing in theaters anywhere from a few weeks to a few days before the DVD hit the shelves. It served as the death knell for the ill-fated Project Greenlight films (which were never that good, anyway).

7. All the Boys Love Mandy Lane – In his column this week, our illustrious Executive Editor Neil Miller opined that All the Boys Love Mandy Lane was given the shaft. Here’s a movie that has rotted on the Weinstein shelf so long that the director has already made another movie. I attended a press screening for this last year, and the film was mysteriously pulled from all release schedules shortly afterwards. Then, in a stellar act of over-thinking and second-guessing themselves to the detriment of the filmmaker, they dropped it like a hot potato.

6. Stormbreaker – This was one of the biggest botched releases I can remember from the Weinsteins. After delaying the film an uncanny number of times to avoid confusion with Agent Cody Banks, Stormbreaker was literally sneaked into theaters. One day, while I was checking out Saw III, I noticed Stormbreaker was playing on another screen. I called my local rep and told her about it, and she said, “I just found out myself.” How incompetent do you have to be to not let your own publicity field reps know your $40 million movie is opening in their market?

5. Shoalin Soccer – At the time, it was the highest-grossing Chinese film ever. Then the Weinsteins got their hands on it and made so many changes that the American release bombed as a dumbed down, truncated mess. Plus, the release date was shuffled around so many times, the advertising and buzz was completely wasted. No wonder it made less than half a million while Stephen Chow’s competently released follow up Kung Fu Hustle made $17 million.

4. Dogma – If you remember the controversy surrounding this film, it was the Catholic Church versus Disney. The Weinsteins managed to paint themselves as heroes by finding a new distributor, but it makes me wonder what really went on behind closed doors. Their names appear nowhere in the film’s proper credits, and not long afterwards (as with the aforementioned Shoalin Soccer), they began diddling with their distribution slate. Might this be remembered as the first step the Weinstein’s took to the dark side?

3. Grindhouse on DVD – This has been a sore spot for me ever since the Weinsteins announced that they were splitting Grindhouse into two films for the DVD release. That technique didn’t work for the international market, and it failed on DVD as well. Here was a film that stood to have a huge life on DVD, and it was divided and conquered before it got a chance. We’re still waiting for the full-blown Grindhouse experience on DVD… and don’t expect it any time soon, unless you live in Japan.

2. Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair – Ever since Kill Bill was split into two films (which wasn’t a bad idea for its theatrical run, but then again, that was when Disney was running the show), we’ve been eagerly awaiting a compilation DVD collector’s edition. Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair was supposed to come out earlier this year. But like so many other Weinstein properties, it has been put on the shelf to collect dust.

1. Fanboys – What can I say about Fanboys that hasn’t already been said? The forced edits, vanishing theatrical release and the wishy-washy upcoming DVD (from the inappropriately-named Genius Products) has spawned the “Stop Darth Weinstein” movement. If there has ever been an example of a distributor needlessly tinkering with their films, dishonoring the filmmakers and ignoring the fans, this is it. What has happened to Fanboys should serve as a lesson to any independent filmmaker out there. Avoid the Weinsteins at all costs. They will more than likely ruin your film, then never release it.

Amen TB

This is ridiculous -- you know, I used to read this website and catch up on the latest and greatest news. Then everything stopped; not fair.

Thanks for the link, Tiara. I hadn't seen that before. What was really funny was looking at the prices in the picture from the gas station. You immediately know the film is dated.

The funny thing is, I lived in Cape Girardeau for a few years in the 80's, but haven't been there since. So I'm interested in seeing Killshot not only because Thomas Jane is in it, but also because I want to see what they shot for the film in Cape.

K-skye

The Weinstein Company Proudly Presents:

KILLSHOT: THE MOVIE THAT JUST WON'T HAPPEN

killshotqz3.jpg

Starring Diane Lane, Mickey Rourke, Thomas Jane, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Rosario Dawson.

killshot2yb6.jpgkillshot3sx6.jpgkillshot4cj4.jpg

NOT COMING SOON

killshot5bp6.jpg

-TL

2. Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair – Ever since Kill Bill was split into two films (which wasn’t a bad idea for its theatrical run, but then again, that was when Disney was running the show), we’ve been eagerly awaiting a compilation DVD collector’s edition. Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair was supposed to come out earlier this year. But like so many other Weinstein properties, it has been put on the shelf to collect dust.

1. Fanboys – What can I say about Fanboys that hasn’t already been said? The forced edits, vanishing theatrical release and the wishy-washy upcoming DVD (from the inappropriately-named Genius Products) has spawned the “Stop Darth Weinstein” movement. If there has ever been an example of a distributor needlessly tinkering with their films, dishonoring the filmmakers and ignoring the fans, this is it. What has happened to Fanboys should serve as a lesson to any independent filmmaker out there. Avoid the Weinsteins at all costs. They will more than likely ruin your film, then never release it.

With Kill Bill, I think that has more to do with Tarantino then the Weinsteins. The man is pretty slow about getting projects done.

And Fanboys, the script was pretty shit, I don't really care what's done to this one.

Guest AdminGuyX

Seems like the Weinsteins just can't get their shit together.

GET THIS MOVIE ON THE STREETS!!!!

KILLSHOT is being screened this week for distributors like Sony and Lions Gate. One of these cats will pick it up for theatrical release - probably this fall or spring of '09... i'll let you know what happens. TJ

Thank you God.

Found this article about this movie and the writers and some of the people behind it. Sounds really good, and there's a link to a trailer, which I hadn't seen before, which also looks great.

http://www.persianmirror.com/Article_det.c...SubCategory=119

Here's the trailer. Looks great!

http://www.iklipz.com/MovieDetail.aspx?Mov...65-cc28aa4f5196

Mediumfan

KILLSHOT is being screened this week for distributors like Sony and Lions Gate. One of these cats will pick it up for theatrical release - probably this fall or spring of '09... i'll let you know what happens. TJ

Thanks Thomas! I really hope this movie sees the light of day and is a big hit!

By the way... Diane Lane IS a big star.

O.K. "Untraceable" wasn't a huge hit in the U.S. but it has done over $70 million around the world and done GREAT business on DVD. Her films before that... "Perfect Storm", "Unfaithful", "Under The Tuscan Sun", "Must Love Dogs" and "Jumper" have all done very solid business indeed. If you add up the grosses of Diane Lane movies as opposed to the other actors in "Killshot" she is undoubtedly the biggest box office draw and most recognizable face and name. I bet her movies have made more money worldwide than ALL the others put together!

That is fact.

However, I can't see how anyone could wish for a better cast than the cast in "Killshot".

Thomas Jane (a cool, quality cult actor who is much loved by genre fans - I mean come on... how cool was he in "The Punisher"!). He will be SO cool as Wayne!

Diane Lane (the big mainstream star and a good actress to boot). Lovely and a nice choice for Carmen.

Mickey Rourke (awesome guy and quality bad guy) - surely perfect as Blackbird.

Joe Gordon-Levitt (hot upcoming star - check out "The Lookout")

Rosario Dawson (cool...)

... the list goes on.

Sony or Lionsgate would be STUPID to pass on "Killshot"!!!

Thomas, please keep us posted. Thanks guys!

I hope... because I saw the trailer, and I WANT to see this film ! Even if it is OK for the USA, I think that it is not win for the France... no ? :unsure:

From Tom's interview that Jen just posted in the Raw Entertainment section, it sounds like this is getting dumped on DVD. I wished we could have seen this on the big screen, but at least we will get to see it.

From Tom's interview that Jen just posted in the Raw Entertainment section, it sounds like this is getting dumped on DVD. I wished we could have seen this on the big screen, but at least we will get to see it.

This movie is really turning into a tragic affair. No release of ANY kind is what I'm being told (and it is NOT anything to do with the quality of the film). It is all financial and legal hurdles apparently.

Diane Lane has quit the movie industry (some rumours indicate it might be over her disillusionment with the whole "KILLSHOT" affair (although some say it is to support her husband Josh Brolin)). Her last movie will be this September's "NIGHTS IN RODANTHE".

Tom, what has happened to this movie man? :(

This movie is really turning into a tragic affair. No release of ANY kind is what I'm being told (and it is NOT anything to do with the quality of the film). It is all financial and legal hurdles apparently.

Diane Lane has quit the movie industry (some rumours indicate it might be over her disillusionment with the whole "KILLSHOT" affair (although some say it is to support her husband Josh Brolin)). Her last movie will be this September's "NIGHTS IN RODANTHE".

Tom, what has happened to this movie man? :(

it's all a big money fuck up as far as i can see it, which ain't that far... right now MGM is claiming that THEY will release the film theatrically in DEC. but from what i hear, that may be BS!! why? no idea! they have bough the rights to a theatrical from TWC but will not release it. or will they? we'll wait and see. the film is not that bad - MUCH worse will be splayed out on screens across the nation to affront your eyes this year - why it's being buried is a mystery of $$$ proportions...

That's a shame. I saw the trailer online and it looked pretty good. Like something I would go to the theater to see, irregardless of who's in it. Sounds like another typical Hollywood studio screwup if you ask me.

:huh:

arfff ... I hope that we will have entitled to DVD before the week of 4 Thursday (and in many countries...) -_-

it's all a big money fuck up as far as i can see it, which ain't that far... right now MGM is claiming that THEY will release the film theatrically in DEC. but from what i hear, that may be BS!! why? no idea! they have bough the rights to a theatrical from TWC but will not release it. or will they? we'll wait and see. the film is not that bad - MUCH worse will be splayed out on screens across the nation to affront your eyes this year - why it's being buried is a mystery of $$$ proportions...

Thanks Thomas for replying and letting us know the status on this movie. I can't believe how they are keeping you guys in the dark about this when you have obviously worked so damn hard on the film. It's such a shame that these fat guys in suits who sit on their asses all day counting money can screw around with the work that you guys (the actors and crew) have worked so hard to create!

I know that "KILLSHOT" is only one of several films in this predicament. I believe "CROSSING OVER" which boasts a cast of Harrison Ford, Sean Penn, Ray Liotta and Ashley Judd has also been on the shelf since... forever. And then there was "FANBOYS" too. Anyway, I really hope we get to see you in "KILLSHOT" on the big screen real soon. Hopefully it will do well. It's a shame about Diane Lane too. Good actress and very underappreciated. Hollywood's loss.

Thanks again Thomas! You rock!

the film is not that bad

Just out of curiosity, (without naming names) what doesn't work with the film?

Good source material, great cast, a solid director. It all sounded so promising.

This shit kills me. More shitty luck on the release front.

:(

Some sites... "www.comingsoon.com" etc etc are quoting a November 7th, 2008 release for "KILLSHOT". Can this FINALLY be it!?