mediumfan

Patricia Arquette thread

At Jen's suggestion (and Skye's), I thought I'd start a thread for Thomas' wife, the beautiful and talented Patricia Arquette, and see if there are any other fans of hers here who might like to talk about her, or her show, Medium, or her movies. Just anything related to Patricia.

You all have probably figured out by now that I'm a huge fan of Patricia's, so if anyone wants to talk about her or her work, let's talk. I'll start with my top ten list of her best movies and if anyone wants to add theirs, feel free.

1. True Romance

2. Wildflower

3. Beyond Rangoon

4. Lost Highway

5. Stigmata

6. Flirting with Disaster

7. Human Nature

8. Hi-Lo Country

9. The Badge

10. Daddy

Damn, that was hard. It's so hard to narrow it down to just ten. Wow! She has done so many great movies that it's hard to pick my favorites, but those stand out to me for different reasons. Next time, I'll try to narrow down my top ten favorite episodes of Medium. That's even harder!

So tell me, what are your favorite Patricia movies? Or what do you love about Patricia? I won't get started on that right now, because I could go on and on, so, for now, just tell me what you like about her.

Mediumfan

And if there are any Patricia fans who are interested, don't forget to check out my 2 Patricia groups at Yahoo. The links are in my signature.

1. True Romance

2. Wildflower

3. Beyond Rangoon

4. Lost Highway

5. Stigmata

6. Flirting with Disaster

7. Human Nature

8. Hi-Lo Country

9. The Badge

10. Daddy

I feel sorta bad because, looking at this list, I'm obviously not very familiar with her work. Stigmata is the only one I know I've seen.

Do you have any particular recommendations for what should be seen first?

I feel sorta bad because, looking at this list, I'm obviously not very familiar with her work. Stigmata is the only one I know I've seen.

Do you have any particular recommendations for what should be seen first?

Any one of those would be a great start, but my first choices would be True Romance, Beyond Rangoon, Wildflower, Flirting with Disaster or Human Nature. If you like David Lynch's work, you could try Lost Highway. Some of these, like Beyond Rangoon, are hard to find. It isn't even on dvd yet, darnit. But if you can find a copy, it is definitely worth seeing. Wildflower is another one that's hard to find, but it's great. it was made very early in her career and features some of her best filmwork. She actually won a CableAce Award for that one (it was a made for TV movie) for Best Lead Actress. A must-see. The others are fairly easy to find, particularly True Romance. Many people say that that is the definitive Patricia film role, and it was the role that really shot her to stardom overnight. It's a great movie, but in true Tarantino style, it's violent. A classic, though. Her performance in it was fantastic, though. Even with all the big name stars in that movie (Christian Slater, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman, Brad Pitt (very young)) Patricia owns that movie. She steals it. And what's funny is that when it came out, it got bashed by the media because it was so violent, and even Bob Dole got up on the floor of the Senate and trashed Patricia for portraying a hooker and "glorifying" that image. The last laugh was on him, though, because the movie is now considered a modern classic and Patricia's career has only been the better for that role.

So if you're looking for a good place to start watching her movies, True Romance is a good one to start with.

Also, if you're interested in seeing her current work, she's really great in Medium, on NBC. It's a fantastic show and she does an incredible job in it.

Mediumfan

Hey Mediumfan -

Nice thread here! ;) I was just curious though, with the "best movies" you listed for Patricia, are you saying that those are her best performances, or the best movies, with her in them, if that makes any sense? :lol:

What I mean is, a performance can be amazing in a lousy film, so I want to know why you picked those as your Top 10.

Boy, I feel like my viewing of Patricia's work is inadequate now, because I think I've only seen 12 of her films, as well as a lot of episodes of Medium...

So I can't really do a Top 10 list, but I will say that I've seen Human Nature, most of Little Nicky, Stigmata, The Hi-Lo Country, Nightwatch, The Secret Agent, Flirting With Disaster, Beyond Rangoon, Ed Wood, True Romance, Trouble Bound, and, gasp!, Prayer Of The Rollerboys.

I want terribly to see Lost Highway and Ethan Frome (I've read the classic novel), but just haven't yet...

Patricia was amazing in Beyond Rangoon and Human Nature (I love the opening where she's singing in the trees), and she's great in True Romance and The Hi-Lo Country.

Her role was too short in Flirting With Disaster. I wish she had a bigger role in that film.

The Secret Agent was sooo grim by the end! :(

Trouble Bound is a guilty pleasure. :lol:

Ok, I'll stop here for now; looking forward to hearing more details about Patricia's work. :D

Jen

Hey, Jen

Thanks for jumping in here. To answer your question, I think I would have to say that these are the best movies with Patricia in them, although the top five would also be my picks for her best performances individually. (In movies, that's not including Medium)

The last five are also great performances by Patricia, but there are other movies that she's done that were not as good, but she was still great in them. Like Trouble Bound( a guilty pleasure for me too :D ) and The Secret Agent was another really good performance by her, but the movie is so depressing that it's hard to watch it too often. I love the ending but I get so disturbed by it that it's hard to shake it. It's kind of like The Mist for me, if you know what I mean.

Prayer of the Rollerboys ,.. well what can I say about that one, except it's another guilty pleasure (not really, but it's so bad, it's fun to watch,lol).

All of the ones that you mentioned are great. I personally love Flirting with Disaster and I thought she was fantastic in it. The one that I thought she didn't have enough screen time in was Ed Wood. Human Nature is another great performance of hers. She brings such depth and emotion to the role and really makes you feel for Lila, so much so that I end up yellling at the screen by the end of the movie. Loved The Hi-Lo Country. Another heartwrenching performance by Patricia and a great story.

You have to see Lost Highway and Ethan Frome. Ethan Frome is great, but by the end it's sad too.

Don't forget that Medium is back next week with all new episodes, and the one next week was directed by Patricia's brother, David, and it features what looks like a powerhouse performance by Patricia. I found some clips of that ep and it looks FANTASTIC!!

I'll post a link here if anyone doesn't mind spoilers. (Me, I love 'em!!)

Give me your favorite Patricia movies, (you don't have to list all of'em, just the ones that you like of the ones you've seen) or even your favorite Medium episodes. That's even harder, lol. There are so many great ones to choose from.

Oh, and another classic performance of Patricia's is from Tales from the Crypt. It's in season 2, an episode called Four-Sided Triangle. It's a classic Crypt episode, and Patricia is mesmerizing in it. By the end, you're left wondering is she crazy or isn't she? Watch it and see.

mediumfan

patriciarosanna.jpg

From AP:

`Medium' takes on Arquette sister act

It's a family affair on NBC's "Medium."

Rosanna Arquette will guest star on sister Patricia's spooky show this spring, making her the third Arquette sibling to make a mark on the drama, NBC and show producer CBS Paramount Network announced Wednesday.

The episode, scheduled to air April 7, features the 48-year-old Arquette as "a beautiful, calculating `cougar' who enjoys the challenges of bedding younger men" and pops up in the dreams of crime-fighting psychic Allison Dubois "when her sexual escapades turn deadly," the networks said.

"I have to say I have been calling in a lot of favors and I'm really excited about this particular part they wrote for her because Rosanna is a very strong comedic and dramatic actress and this role requires both elements," said Patricia Arquette, 39, who portrays Dubois.

"Of course, every time one of my siblings comes on set, the crew realizes that I have yet another sibling nicer than me," she said, before praising her sister's "great legs."

The Arquette acting family also includes David Arquette, Richmond Arquette and Alexis Arquette.

David recently directed two episodes of "Medium," and Richmond guest starred on the show two years ago.

___

On the Net:

NBC:

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Medium/

WOW! That is terrific news, Tiara! I had a feeling we'd be seeing Rosanna on the show soon. Patricia mentioned on The View in January that she was hoping to get Rosanna to appear. This is exciting news. Rosanna has also appeared on sister-in-law Courteney's show "Dirt", so it's cool that she's doing "Medium" with Patricia. I hope we get to see them onscreen together, and not just see her in Allison's dreams. It would also be interesting to see David guest star on the show at some time. There are really some talented actors in the Arquette family and it's great that they are so close-knit and so supportive of one another.

Can't wait to see this. Thanks for sharing.

mediumfan

I am soooooooooo looking forward to this!

I am sooo excited too, Tiara!! This should be a fantastic pairing. The only one of Patricia's siblings that she has ever worked with on screen is her brother Richmond, and I loved the episode he did. It's the one in season two when Allison gets a concussion and, when she goes for an MRI, she meets a man (Richmond) and has visions of him committing terrible crimes. He was fantastic and that was a wonderfully written episode.

It sounds like this one is going to be as good as, if not better than, that one. The part sounds perfect for Rosanna. She's a great actress too, like Patricia, (but Patricia's still my favorite). I hope we get to see the two of them onscreen and get to see them work together. That should be awesome!!

Oh, and I'm not positive about this, but I think that the episode that Rosanna is appearing in will be called "Ladykiller". Not sure about that, but it fits. Now I'm wondering if she will be the victim (that would suck because she wouldn't have any scenes with Patricia) or if she will be the killer. That would be fun to see, wouldn't it? Either way, I am waaaay excited about this. This ep is scheduled to air in April, so I can't wait.

mediumfan

Always loved Rosanna and got into Patricia's work late. Then Medium came along and I was blown away. Just to see these two play off each other would be fantastic. But I will say if they had all the siblings in one episode, television history would be made because I was wondering if one particular family did a television show at the same time together. Away from Ozzie & Harriet, and the Barrymores did film...what a great trivia question... :P

Always loved Rosanna and got into Patricia's work late. Then Medium came along and I was blown away. Just to see these two play off each other would be fantastic. But I will say if they had all the siblings in one episode, television history would be made because I was wondering if one particular family did a television show at the same time together. Away from Ozzie & Harriet, and the Barrymores did film...what a great trivia question...

Wow, what an interesting trivia question, Tiara! I read somewhere that the Arquettes are the third largest acting family in show business behind the Barrymores and one other family whose names escape me now. And they were recently honored, along with Thomas and Courteney Cox, by the American Film Institute with the Platinum Circle award for their family's contributions to the entertainment industry. (There are tons of pics at my first Patricia Arquette group at Yahoo; see the link below).

But that would be amazing to see them all acting together. Actually I read recently that David said he was working on a project that would involve all of the siblings, so it would be great to see that come to fruition.

I have always liked Rosanna, but for some reason I've always found myself partial to Patricia's work. There is something about the quality or style of her acting that I really love, though Rosanna is great too. I loved her in Desperately Seeking Susan and The Aviator, though I never got into her show on ABC. I'm totally psyched about seeing her on Medium because it's my favorite show, and to have not only Patricia, but Rosanna as well, it's going to be freakin' awesome! The only thing that would suck would be if Allison only saw this woman in her dreams, because then Patricia and Rosanna wouldn't have any scenes together. I'm kind of hoping that she'll play someone who's alive so we can see them act opposite each other, or at the very least, she'll appear as a ghost like Thomas did in the "Four Dreams" episode.

Can't wait for this!

Mediumfan

We have to find out some more information about the episode, because you're right, it would suck if they had no scenes together.

We have to find out some more information about the episode, because you're right, it would suck if they had no scenes together.

You're right. That would suck. I'm hoping that if she does play a dead person, we'll at least get to see her as a ghost so they can appear together. It's going to be cool to find out if she will be the victim or the predator. :P

Mediumfan

You're right. That would suck. I'm hoping that if she does play a dead person, we'll at least get to see her as a ghost so they can appear together. It's going to be cool to find out if she will be the victim or the predator. :P

Mediumfan

I am sooooooo hoping for predator...that would truly rock!

Has anybody in your Yahoo groups find out anything yet?

No, I haven't heard anything else, but as soon as I do, I'll be sure to let you know.

Mediumfan

OK kewl!

instuk021007md1.th.jpg

girls050306wi6.th.jpg

Thanks for sharing those, Tiara. That bottom one is one of my favorites, and very similar to the one that she signed for me a couple of months ago in NYC.

Mediumfan

Thanks for sharing those, Tiara. That bottom one is one of my favorites, and very similar to the one that she signed for me a couple of months ago in NYC.

Mediumfan

You met HER? OMG...spill it!

Guest FADoss

Morbid...I know, but I panic everytime I see this thread title. I keep seeing "Patricia Arquette DEAD" and it scares me everytime.

Perhaps I'm just a but screwy.

:P

Fred

Morbid...I know, but I panic everytime I see this thread title. I keep seeing "Patricia Arquette DEAD" and it scares me everytime.

Fred

*shaking my head*... ;)

Fred

LOL, Fred!! Would you like me to change the thread title so it doesn't scare you so much? :lol:

Mediumfan

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.