Sign in to follow this  
sidewaysgaze

The Tripper

... I do agree that Thomas was great in his role as the sheriff, "Buzz"...In this case, the sheriff who is battling the crowds who are more afraid of missing out on a good "trip" than they are of dying, and the greedy promoter whose avarice ultimately leads to everyone's doom. As you said, he did the best he could with the part as it was written, but I thought for David's debut effort, it was pretty solid, especially given the political subtext of the movie, which is why none of the major studios would produce it, and they ended up making it themselves on a shoestring budget, with David basically strong-arming (hee-hee) all of his friends and relatives to act in it. This was truly a labor of love for all involved, which is why it is doubly sad that it didn't get the industry support that it needed to really catch on.

... But it did have some great lines in it, though. You gotta admit that. Lol!

I think it is a great film, and a must -see for any genre fan, but an absolute must -see for any Thomas fan. He was great in it, and yes, Jen, he does appear in a good portion of the movie, so you should definitely check it out.

Mediumfan

Thanks so much for the info and your opinion Mediumfan! :D Your words here and enthusiam has spurred me to see the movie, and maybe even buy it! I did love the clips that have popped up online of various scenes in the movie, so I'm not really sure why I haven't seen it yet, well, besides the being over-worked and being lazy angle, as I've already mentioned. :lol:

Thanks again for the info -

Jen

Yeah, well, actually, I run 3 Yahoo Groups on Tom, plus kinda mod here, when I have the time, and I try to scour the Internet for info about Tom and all his projects on a regular basis, so y'know, that kinda cuts into my movie-watching time! :lol:

Not to mention that I own a few other Groups, have to work 9-to-5, have a life outside of the computer, etc...

And I have seen all Tom's work, except for The Tripper now, and that darn TV show High Tide, so I'd say I'm pretty good with catching what Tom's been in. ;)

So, yes, I will eventually see The Tripper, when the time is right for a political-angle horror film - oh, wait, now probably *is* a good time, what with the prez primaries going on...

Jen

Sorry. I think I came off sounding too negative. I wasn't trying to rag on you and you don't need to explain yourself to me.

I'm looking forward to reading what you think of The Tripper once you've seen it.

Sorry. I think I came off sounding too negative. I wasn't trying to rag on you and you don't need to explain yourself to me.

I'm looking forward to reading what you think of The Tripper once you've seen it.

No problem. :lol: I didn't mean to get all huffy either, or whatever - but I actually do feel bad that I haven't seen The Tripper yet. I don't have a really good excuse...

I'll definitely post here once I've seen it. :D

Take care,

Jen

No problem. :lol: I didn't mean to get all huffy either, or whatever - but I actually do feel bad that I haven't seen The Tripper yet. I don't have a really good excuse...

I'll definitely post here once I've seen it. :D

Take care,

Jen

Eh when your on errands driving around, just make sure to stop at the local blockbuster for you movie and candy needs, and pick The Tripper up.

lol

Eh when your on errands driving around, just make sure to stop at the local blockbuster for you movie and candy needs, and pick The Tripper up.

lol

LOL...well, that's in fact what I did, except that I got the candy elsewhere. I still haven't had a chance to actually watch the film though! :blink: I will soon...

Jen

LOL...well, that's in fact what I did, except that I got the candy elsewhere. I still haven't had a chance to actually watch the film though! :blink: I will soon...

Jen

Jen. I would suggest buying that baby cheap off of Amazon or Ebay. The film is easily one you will watch over and over even if you're not a fan of Tom or a horror movie fan. This film has everything and is funny as hell. I couldn't stop laughing and Tom in the bloopers is fuckin' great. He said something to these kids like, "Every year a couple of you kids die up here. Drivin' yourselves into a redwood tree or getting drunk and masterbating off the edge of a cliff, I don't know." or when he says "Get outta here you bag huffers c'mon ass sucker" I don't know I can't even remember all what he says but it is worth getting just for that. Tom kills in this film, pun intended haha and the scene between him and the dog is priceless.

As Ahnold would say, "GET IT! DO IT! DO IT NOW!"

JO

Whew, *finally* saw the movie, and what's funny is that it is kinda "trippy" - I actually didn't get the drug reference before seeing it - I thought it was dig at "The Gipper" only, but I guess not. :lol:

Tom was so deadpan fun in it, and I did like a lot of the other performances too. Horror isn't my thing totally, but it depends on the movie.

I think David Arquette did an amazing job directing the movie; the flow overall was good and there were some great scenes in the Redwood Forest.

I don't want to give too much away here, but I did think that maybe there'd be a bigger twist to the ending, about who "Reagan" was, etc...; Loved the political jokes and digs, something that may be lost on "younger" viewers, maybe??

Loved the ending art montage, when the credits run... ;)

Jen

Whew, *finally* saw the movie, and what's funny is that it is kinda "trippy" - I actually didn't get the drug reference before seeing it - I thought it was dig at "The Gipper" only, but I guess not. :lol:

Tom was so deadpan fun in it, and I did like a lot of the other performances too. Horror isn't my thing totally, but it depends on the movie.

I think David Arquette did an amazing job directing the movie; the flow overall was good and there were some great scenes in the Redwood Forest.

I don't want to give too much away here, but I did think that maybe there'd be a bigger twist to the ending, about who "Reagan" was, etc...; Loved the political jokes and digs, something that may be lost on "younger" viewers, maybe??

Loved the ending art montage, when the credits run... ;)

Jen

Good for you. I told you Tom kills haha

JO

Good points, Jen. It's a horror movie first and foremost, but, imo, once you get past that, it has a lot to offer. It's got an interesting message, if you listen to it, and it's got some great performers, and it's got chills, blood, gore, suspense, and it's funny as he**.

I love the scene with Thomas and the dog! "Nice doggie!!" And he runs screaming through the forest. LOL!

Or how about Courteney Cox's cameo at the end? That was classic!! David must have gotten a kick out of that. Lol!

But the best line belongs to Balthazar Getty, as he faces a chainsaw-wielding-psychopathic-Reagan-lookalike, "But I'm a Republican!"

And guess what happens next!! HAHAHA!

Not a mainstream movie by any means, but I've often found that some of the best movies are ones that the general public doesn't appreciate. Mainly because they are so spoiled by the so-called "blockbuster" movies, that they can't appreciate a movie that has more to offer than high-tech special fx and big name stars and mega-million-dollar budgets.

Mediumfan

Good points, Jen. It's a horror movie first and foremost, but, imo, once you get past that, it has a lot to offer. It's got an interesting message, if you listen to it, and it's got some great performers, and it's got chills, blood, gore, suspense, and it's funny as he**.

I love the scene with Thomas and the dog! "Nice doggie!!" And he runs screaming through the forest. LOL!

Or how about Courteney Cox's cameo at the end? That was classic!! David must have gotten a kick out of that. Lol!

But the best line belongs to Balthazar Getty, as he faces a chainsaw-wielding-psychopathic-Reagan-lookalike, "But I'm a Republican!"

And guess what happens next!! HAHAHA!

Not a mainstream movie by any means, but I've often found that some of the best movies are ones that the general public doesn't appreciate. Mainly because they are so spoiled by the so-called "blockbuster" movies, that they can't appreciate a movie that has more to offer than high-tech special fx and big name stars and mega-million-dollar budgets.

Mediumfan

Yeah. All those are classic. But what about when Jason Mewes gets his hand cut off and blood squirts and he goes, "What the f*ck's your problem man?!"

That was great.

JO

This movie is hillarious!! :lol:

Totally love it!

Paul Reubens cracks me up the most, but I love TJ and Richmond Arquette too.

So many classic lines.

It's a brilliant, clever little pearl of a film! :P

I want to see more films like that!!

Oh, I have to see this one again; it's been a while now...

I found a cool 'n' fun blogger review of The Tripper with much mention of Tom and his role in the movie:

"But seriously. Thomas Jane. Never cracks so much as a grin and gets almost all

the laughs. It takes a certain kind of actor to stand with his thumbs hooked in

his belt for 90% of a B-grade horror movie and still be not only plausible but

completely believable."

http://letters2charlie.blogspot.com/2009/0...ar-charlie.html

Jen

OMG! I love that line, Jen! And it's so true. Thomas is so deadpan in the movie, but his character is hilarious!! I gotta watch this one again too! I haven't seen it in a while.

Nice doggie. Niiii-ce doggie!!!! :lol:

Love that review too! It's so dead-on. Thomas' character is what made the whole movie the most watchable for me. As he said, most of the characters were whiny and self-indulgent, and you couldn't wait to see them get slashed, but every time Buzz Hall showed up, you could just see the irritation in his face at having to deal with these kids who wouldn't listen to his warnings, all the while knowing that he was the one who was gonna end up cleaning up the mess when they met their inevitable fates, all because they wouldn't listen to him. :P

Well I finally saw this movie ( a bit too late, but it is what it is ). I have to say....I loved this flick! I loved the gore and it most definitely made me laugh! It kinda reminded me of a B-rated horror flick from the 80's...not to say that's bad in any way 'cuz I LOVE B-rated horror flicks from the 80's. I was also pleasently surprised with Jason Mewes (played Joey). I love that fool and am a huge fan of his and Kevin Smith's movies! So I was happy to see him in it. The special features were great too! I can't say one bad thing about this movie! Just Awesome! :P

-Aly

Detailed blogger review of The Tripper, just in time for Halloween:

"Tom is...perfect for this role, and he definitely steals every scene he’s in even though he’s not one of the “main” characters. This movie not only proves that Thomas Jane can be funny, but he can be funny in a campy sort of way. I’ve always found Jane to be quite hilarious myself in cameos and such..."

http://jacksmaniacal.com/?p=581

Jen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Tripper-Black-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B005DMYNQC/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1372339692&sr=8-20&keywords=thomas+jane

Just came accross this slick looking verison which seems to be uncut (not sure whats extra though) - Although I have to say this this film is one of my gulity pleasures.