Enaira

H. R. Giger

Hello all,

I've been watching "Dark Star" a few days ago. It's a documentary about the life and work of "Hans-Rüdi" Geiger, that many know as being a strong influence on the design of the Alien movie (1979, Ridley Scott).

Apart from this aspect I hadn't had a deep dive into his work (his world) so far. The images, drawings, paintings and sculptures are all fascinating. Sometimes disturbing but all so beautiful. The documentary takes place in his home in Switzerland and retraces his life piece after piece, always coming back to aspects of his current life (it was shot a few weeks before his death).

Of all pieces of art shown, the Nubian Queen sculpture is the one that I was less expecting. Due to the shiny aspect and petite size it stands out of the collection. I love it!

The paintings are overwhelming due to their creative level but also their size and the precision required to make them.

All in all the documentary takes you on a mind travel to a parallel universe. Grandiose!

749157.jpg

ra0968329956-8238382.jpg

show-photo.jpg

Thanks for this Ariane - I must admit I only knew the name from the Alien connection but his work is stunning.  The Nubian Queen is indeed gorgeous, almost Art Deco style (which I love), what a fabulous artistic talent. 👏

Exactly! 

And the combination with ancient Egypt and ancient Greece (I'm thinking Venus of Milo here) is awesomely fascinating. 

Ive always found him to be fascinating. His Necronomicon book are just brilliant. 

On 9/9/2019 at 6:44 AM, Geoff said:

Ive always found him to be fascinating. His Necronomicon book are just brilliant. 

Oh, they are... and you have just reminded me that I really need to get my books out of storage (I have several of Geiger's)! 

Downstairs in Cyberdog used to be Geiger-themed, I used to go there as much to see the art as buy clothes! I haven't been for years, and apparently it's moved premises since I was last there, so I don't know if it's still all Geigered-up. I hope so.

On 9/7/2019 at 1:31 PM, Gail said:

The Nubian Queen is indeed gorgeous, almost Art Deco style (which I love), what a fabulous artistic talent. 👏

Agreed! I love the elegance and fluidity of the piece. ❤️