Tim Bradstreet

Star Trek - 2009

I'm an old Trekkie, I grew up watching the original Star Trek series on TV in the 70's and later I watched all the spin-off series (Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager) - I just couldn't stand Enterprise. I think it ruined everything, especially that horrible theme music.

This film looks great from what I've seen, so yes, I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Guest AdminGuyX

OK, got a chance to see this last night. It's pretty darn good. I don't feel like gushing, because I feel like it was lacking a certain charm, a certain something that I can't quite put my finger on. I liked it though.

It's an example of really effective and affecting storytelling. It's a fun Sci-Fi flick, and it's a decent restart for a dead franchise. It's a very solid action flick with one great phaser shootout. I expected Abrams to handle the action well though, and to be able to create really exciting sequences. He did that in spades.

Seeing Nimoy in the film was very special, and it really drove home just how impossible it will ever be to replace the original actors. And this I suppose was my problem. Bones was the standout performance for me, Spock was Ok, Scotty was terrific (though, the little alien guy was weird), Chekov was there, and Sulu was too. Chris Pine as Kirk was kind of a miss for me. Didn't hate his performance, but really, I didn't love his performance either, and I needed to.

I kept wondering why they didn't use the actor who was cast as his father, because his few minutes on screen were far more compelling than anything Pine did with Kirk. Pine just played him as cocky all the time, and for whatever reason just didn't have a sparkle in his eye, and never really exuded leadership. He tried though. Maybe next time.

Bruce Greenwood on the other hand could not have been better as Pike. He should have had more to do. In fact I really wondered if Greenwood was 10 years younger, hell 5 years younger, how iconic he could have made Kirk.

Now, Urban as Bones was really, really good. He made the role his own while honoring what had come before in such a cool way. He just disappeared into McCoy in a way that none of the other cast seemed to do. I'm going to chalk that up to experience as an actor, plain and simple.

I'm going to see it again with the wife, and see if the film gets better or worse for me on a second viewing.

Oh, yeah, Eric Bana's character could have been played by anyone. Frankly, I kept wondering what Tom Jane could have done with the role. The character was underwritten and just had to scowl a lot, and do some screaming. I suppose if anything suffered from the need for this to be an origin story, it was the villain, and the really slow lumbering ship they traveled in.

More than anything else, this movie made me want to watch the old cast do their thing. I wanted to watch Wrath of Khan, and City on The Edge of Forever in particular. Maybe that's a good thing that it made me want to see the old cast, I don't know.

Njc-------------

Guest AdminGuyX

OH, almost forgot. The ship. The Enterprise looked good. I didn't have any issues with the costumes or the sets. Abrams did have one too many lens flares in the movie though.

Nimoy had more than a cameo too. He had a lot to do, and seemed to relish getting to play the role again.

And one shot made me almost vomit. Instant vertigo!

:)

OK, so far McQuery is raving about it and even the hard won Noeland is giving this a thumbs up.

Good sign. Could Star Trek be the runaway hit of the summer?

I guess that'd be spring ;)

I'm in. I was in for sure after seeing that last trailer. I knew i'd be laying down my money and you don't get more old school Trek fan than me (or folks like me). I stuck with Next Gen long enough for that show to find it's legs toward the latter half of season two, and definitely in Season 3. I became a real fan of that show. Deep Space Nine never really did it for me though there are some decent episodes. Voyager was also something that never really hooked me. Enterprise was abysmally bad in it's first season but they finally found a rhythm, again towards the end of Season 2. Season 3 kicked it in high gear and Season 4 started out getting even better. Then they found out they were cancelled. What a shame.

I wonder if plans for the reboot had anything to do with that . . . Hmmmm.

Anyone that never gave Enterprise a chance. I highly recommend you seek out ;) the last 3-4 episodes of season 2, watch all of season 3, and check out season 4. If you are a Trek fan, you'll be glad you gave it a chance. Forget about the Faith Of The Heart title track if that turns you off. Don't let that stop you. Although I must say I was one of the ones crying LOUDEST when Enterprise first aired. I HATED that song as a theme. Just seemed like a lame decision. BUT . . . Yes, the accursed BUT . . . As the show got better and better I started to slowly embrace the song. I know, hit me.

By the latter 3rd season and into the 4th I'd gotten to the point where I actually got stupid chills when the music led off the show.

*sigh* I know, I know, but what can you do, it ended up winning me over.

Anyway, all that said, I'm up for Trek as long as it's well done. And this certainly sounds like it's being done well.

Remember, it's the first film. Some of those characters will take some time to grow on us.

I feel like I'll feel similarly as Noeland does about Pine as Kirk, but I'll give him a chance.

What surprises me most is that Karl Urban is reported (not just by Noeland) to be the breakout performance of this new direction.

Surprising especially since his performance in Comanche Moon was the exact antithesis of how he's being described in Trek.

In CM it was Steve Zahn who channelled his predecessor to the fucking HILT, with Urban being complete and utter STONE, and not in a good way.

Well for that I'm happy. I have always maintained that I really WANT to like Karl Urban as an actor.

Sounds like he just got over the hump. Good for Karl. Good for us!

Can't wait to see this!!!!!

- TB

I just saw it, and it was FUCKING INCREDIBLE!! For my generation there IS no other Star Trek than the original crew. I felt like I was 8 years old again as unlike the earlier movies this felt just like the show I loved! Abrams is a friggin' genius! I was sorry it was over and already want to see a sequel! The cast is just phenomenal capturing the inflections and mannerisms of the originals without turning them into parodies (especially McCoy). I really can't express just how much I loved this movie! In tribute to the original series here's a piece I did for a triptych trading card about 15 years ago.

72StarTrekcopy.jpg

I'm totally with you on Urban, and the Bana character COULD have been played by anyone. Pine didn't bother me as I felt he was portraying a really rough, young and cocky Kirk. Too young, maybe, but with at least 2-3 years in between films I think he'll grow into it.Quinto looked amazing as Spock but did lack something in the tenor of his voice. Too much camera movement during some of the action scenes as in most contemporary action movies, but these are all minor ticks for me. I really loved the flick. Scotty was GREAT, too! I can't wait to see it again!

OK, got a chance to see this last night. It's pretty darn good. I don't feel like gushing, because I feel like it was lacking a certain charm, a certain something that I can't quite put my finger on. I liked it though.

It's an example of really effective and affecting storytelling. It's a fun Sci-Fi flick, and it's a decent restart for a dead franchise. It's a very solid action flick with one great phaser shootout. I expected Abrams to handle the action well though, and to be able to create really exciting sequences. He did that in spades.

Seeing Nimoy in the film was very special, and it really drove home just how impossible it will ever be to replace the original actors. And this I suppose was my problem. Bones was the standout performance for me, Spock was Ok, Scotty was terrific (though, the little alien guy was weird), Chekov was there, and Sulu was too. Chris Pine as Kirk was kind of a miss for me. Didn't hate his performance, but really, I didn't love his performance either, and I needed to.

I kept wondering why they didn't use the actor who was cast as his father, because his few minutes on screen were far more compelling than anything Pine did with Kirk. Pine just played him as cocky all the time, and for whatever reason just didn't have a sparkle in his eye, and never really exuded leadership. He tried though. Maybe next time.

Bruce Greenwood on the other hand could not have been better as Pike. He should have had more to do. In fact I really wondered if Greenwood was 10 years younger, hell 5 years younger, how iconic he could have made Kirk.

Now, Urban as Bones was really, really good. He made the role his own while honoring what had come before in such a cool way. He just disappeared into McCoy in a way that none of the other cast seemed to do. I'm going to chalk that up to experience as an actor, plain and simple.

I'm going to see it again with the wife, and see if the film gets better or worse for me on a second viewing.

Oh, yeah, Eric Bana's character could have been played by anyone. Frankly, I kept wondering what Tom Jane could have done with the role. The character was underwritten and just had to scowl a lot, and do some screaming. I suppose if anything suffered from the need for this to be an origin story, it was the villain, and the really slow lumbering ship they traveled in.

More than anything else, this movie made me want to watch the old cast do their thing. I wanted to watch Wrath of Khan, and City on The Edge of Forever in particular. Maybe that's a good thing that it made me want to see the old cast, I don't know.

Njc-------------

Damn, I'm dyin' to see this!! Might have to go to a late night show tonight after work, LOL!! :lol:

I stuck with Next Gen long enough for that show to find it's legs toward the latter half of season two, and definitely in Season 3. I became a real fan of that show.

-TB

I'm with you,Tim. I absolutely LOVED the Next Generation! For me, it was the only one of the spinoffs that even came close to the original. The cast was excellent from Day One, and the writing and execution was always top-notch. I can't recall one single episode that I didn't like. There were some that I enjoyed more than others, but to me, every episode was standout. And it went beyond what the original Trek, or any of the spinoffs were able to do, because they made it a much more socially aware future, and yet still, relevant to our times. Some of the topics that they covered were timely, and timeless, and that alone could have made the show a standout. But it was far more than that. The cast was perfect, and they all just clicked from the beginning.

One thing I wasn't crazy about was Diana Muldaur as Dr. Pulaski in season two. She was good, but for some reason I was always more partial to Gates McFadden's Dr. Crusher. I think because the history that she shared with Captain Picard made it a much more interesting dynamic between the two, and she and Patrick Stewart had such great chemistry together. The on-again/off-again tug of war between them throughout the show's run was always one of my favorite parts of the show. One of my favorite episodes was Attached (when they were forced to finally admit their feelings for one another).

Can you tell I'm a Trek geek? :P I'm thrilled to hear the great remarks about Karl Urban's performance. As I've said, he's a favorite, as is the character of Bones, so I'm glad to hear that he did him justice.

I am dyin' to see this movie! It's at the top of my list for this weekend!

Guest AdminGuyX

I forgot one thing that really grated on me. Tyler Perry is in this as a high ranking federation someone such and such. They never really tell you who's running the federation. Anyway, I'm not a fan of Perry's (long story, all about Atlanta production companies) and I thought his performance in the film was stand out bad. REALLY bad. Thankfully his character sort of book ends the movie.

I could NOT figure out who that was! LOL At least it wasn't Sam Jackson. "I'VE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKIN' ROMULANS IN THIS MOTHERFUCKIN' GALAXY!" Brrrr. Just the thought. :blink:

I forgot one thing that really grated on me. Tyler Perry is in this as a high ranking federation someone such and such. They never really tell you who's running the federation. Anyway, I'm not a fan of Perry's (long story, all about Atlanta production companies) and I thought his performance in the film was stand out bad. REALLY bad. Thankfully his character sort of book ends the movie.

I could NOT figure out who that was! LOL At least it wasn't Sam Jackson. "I'VE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKIN' ROMULANS IN THIS MOTHERFUCKIN' GALAXY!" Brrrr. Just the thought. :blink:

LOL!! Oh, come on, Joe! Don't tell me you wouldn't love to see Sam Jackson go Pulp Fiction on a bunch of Romulans!! (Or better yet, Klingons!) :lol:

You know, of course, that I'm kidding. That would be too much like a Star Wars/Star Trek crossover, and those are two worlds that should never meet.

But still, Tyler Perry? WTF??!!

I don't know who the fuck Tyler Perry is and I'm not going to bother trying to find out.

I'll be hitting Trek Sunday late show.

Who's coming to Escondido to Join me!?

- tb

PS - Great Trek piece JJ! I love it.

Thanks, TB. Chekov and Sulu are a bit off because I had terrible screen grabs to work off of. MUCH harder to get good reference even only 15 years ago.

I don't know who the fuck Tyler Perry is and I'm not going to bother trying to find out.

- tb

Guest AdminGuyX

Tim, I won't ruin it for you. But, does Madea goes to jail ring any bells?

- tb

He's a black man who dresses up as sassy fat black woman on film. All those fucking Madea movies.

- tb

Hoping to see this at the DRIVE IN Sunday!!! I haven't been to a drive-in in YEARS!!!

Tim, I won't ruin it for you. But, does Madea goes to jail ring any bells?

Thankfully no ;)

- tB

Too bad, I have to wait for the DVD to come out... <_<

You just can't beat the charm of the original series.

But I was always a big fan of Deep Space Nine.

I liked the fact that it was different to the other ST series.

And the "crossover" with the old Star Trek crew ("Trials and Tribble-ations") was just a treat of an episode.

Maybe I'll even give Enterprise a chance again at some point. ;)

I watched a good amount of episodes of the first season, but for some reason, I couldn't really get into the characters much.

And that music.... oh, that made me quinch every time!

I hope they've done a good job with the music in the new film??

I'll be joining Mike and Tim in Escondido for Star Trek.

and I know in some way this might distill the comradery on the evening....

BUT.... I cheated on you guys...

It will be my second time seeing it.

Today I drove up to Irvine and saw it in IMAX at the Spectrum. All I will say about that is IF anyone can see it in IMAX...DO IT. Don't think, just pay the 17 bucks and get ready to board the Enterprise. Ridiculously fun experience. I was in the movie! lol.

So...When I left the theater I refused to hear any nit-picky negative opinions (I honestly didn't even want to hear detailed praise either), because not only was I still soaring through the neutral zone, escaped still in the fantasy of Star Trek....but because I don't get the die-hard Star Trek fans. Never have. I don't watch Star Trek movies or shows for inaccuracies in continuity. I let them take me away. There is a great amount of Star Trek content that comes before this, so I fully expect to hear my friends dissect this film....but luckily I will have seen it at least twice before anyone can piss on my fun.

My compliment? In every way that George Lucas failed to bring the formula, character and heart, back in his last 3 Star Wars movies, J.J. Abrams succeeded with Star Trek.

My only complaint? The movie had to end.

See you fellers tomorrow night, and you can bet your asses that I won't say a single word about any details here or before the film...because I want to experience it again too. :)

--JEEM!:D

Alas, I had the exact opposite reaction. He was the weakest to me. The others made the parts their own. He seemed to be a mimic.

I just got back a while ago from seeing the film. I'll refrain from any other comments until others have seen it.

I'll be joining Mike and Tim in Escondido for Star Trek.

and I know in some way this might distill the comradery on the evening....

BUT.... I cheated on you guys...

It will be my second time seeing it.

%$%&* *&%*__()*% (&% $ )()&^%($

Remember if yuo do say anything you will be in the presence of two very large and very unhappy gentlemen!!

It's all good, I am looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night :)

Mike

Hopefully Missy will be coming with us. It's Mother's Day after all ;)

I think the comment Jim D made concerning George Lucas' attempt at the first three chapters of Star Wars is VERY telling.

It sucks in a way. In the same way that some of yesterday's actors seem no longer relevant, the same is true of directors.

Now if George was a truly smart man he'd have handed Star Wars over to JJ Abrams ;)

But it wouldn't have been the same. George is way too much of a control freak over his creations to have let JJ (or anyone else) run with it.

As much as I dislike the idea of remakes, sometimes they work really well.

Someday someone else is going to put the magic back into chapters 1-3 of Star Wars. I just hope I'm still alive to see it.

;)

- TB

Hopefully Missy will be coming with us. It's Mother's Day after all ;)

She will love it. It was my (early) Mother's Day present from one of my offspring. Take a hankie. The first few minutes may make her teary-eyed. It did me.