Tim Bradstreet

Star Trek - 2009

I know this makes me a card carrying geek but I have been a Star Trek fan since I looked up at the TV when I was 8 years old and watched Captain Kirk and a landing party materialize on the planet Deneva in "Operation: Annihilate!", season 1, episode 29. See? Geek.

Hungry for Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, and Adventure at such a tender age, Star Trek was one of those shows that spun my imagination in a huge way.

And those episodes have never grown old for me. I carried on the flag through the film franchise years. I grew to love those characters and the actors that portrayed them.

Most of all I had to take my hat off to the man that created it all, Mr. Gene Roddenberry.

Now, after close to 20 years (has it been that long?) since the entire original cast's final voyage in "The Undiscovered Country", Paramount is re-launching the Original Series franchise on the back of creator J.J. Abrams (Alias, Lost, MI3).

Am I wrong to be optimistic?

I love the new cast (as it plays on paper).

If we can't have the original crew back which seems silly at this point in their lives, not to mention the fact that two of the primary players are passed on . . .

This seems like a dream come true for me as a fan of the Original Series. I've heard J.J. in several interviews and he's taking a very serious and respectful approach to this material which gladdens my heart. The network took Enterprise away from us just when it finally got good. That has been a bitter pill. But this news may just make that pill much easier to swallow. I for one look forward to this re-launch. Only one original member will be around for the first film (and this is not really news anymore), Leonard Nimoy will reprise his role as Spock in some way the creators aren't letting us in on. Zachary Quinto (Syler) from TV's "Heroes" WILL BE Spock.

The cast is pretty genius and my favorite casting of all comes in the form of Bruce Greenwood as Captain Christopher Pike, and if timelines remain consistent, I do not think he will have had the accident yet that left him horribly mutilated. Perhaps we'll see that unfold through the new franchise story line which would make me giddy with delight.

Hey, what do you expect? I was born on the very evening that "Space Seed" (the one with Ricardo Montalban as KHAN), season 1, episode #24 first aired on CBS!!!

There was never any hope for me ;)

See the teaser trailer which sent those oh-so cool chills down my spine -

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

Let us discuss -

- TB

Oop! Here's the cast as reported by the Internet Movie Database -

Chris Pine ... Kirk

Zachary Quinto ... Spock

Eric Bana ... Nero

Winona Ryder ... Amanda Grayson

Zoe Saldana ... Nyota Uhura

Karl Urban ... Leonard 'Bones' McCoy

Bruce Greenwood ... Christopher Pike

John Cho ... Sulu

Leonard Nimoy ... Spock

Simon Pegg ... Scotty

Anton Yelchin ... Pavel Chekov

other cast:

Jennifer Morrison ... Winona Kirk

Rachel Nichols ... (rumored)

Ben Cross ... Sarek

Tyler Perry

Chris Hemsworth ... George Kirk

Sonita Henry

Clifton Collins Jr. ... Ayel

Paul McGillion

Marlene Forte ... Chief Transporter

James Cawley ... (rumored)

Christopher Doohan ... (rumored) (as Chris Doohan)

The bit of casting that really surprised me was Simon Pegg as Scotty. I wonder if he's going to do a bad scottish accent too? I'm not that big of a Trek fan, but I'm pretty interested in seeing this.

Hate to reply to my own post but that first one was mighty long.

This just to say that I hope Karl Urban does a better job in this than what I recently saw take place with his portrayal of a young Woodrow Call (unbelievably portrayed by Tommy Lee Jones in "Lonesome Dove") in McMurtry's prequel "Comanche Moon". Urban was so completely cardboard playing against Steve Zahn's Emmy worthy performance as Gus McCrae (unbelievably portrayed by Robert Duvall in "Lonesome Dove"). I'm not saying it was his duty to recreate the performance of Jones (as Zahn CHANNELED Duvall), But not even a hint of even a southern twang? It was more like he was portraying the fucking Terminator. It was disappointing given that he was playing off of such a bravura performance by Zahn.

No point in defending it, no one will change my mind on this subject ;)

I understand that maybe he couldn't pull off the accent or that maybe he was attempting to play the character as written as opposed to what Tommy Lee did with it.

Or maybe I should blame Zahn for being so good. But after a so-so performance in Riddick, a flat performance in Pathfinder, and this cardboard performance in Comanche Moon, I'm beginning to lose hope in Urban's promise.

I WANT to like the guy. I really do. Physically he IS all that. He just hasn't sold me on his acting ability yet.

Hey, not that he's worried about what I think by any means :)

I just want him to be good and he hasn't yet been that for me personally when he's given larger roles.

I pray he makes the breakthrough in Trek.

One thing is for sure, he'll be a better looking Dr. McCoy. I'm sure the ladies will appreciate that.

Apologies for the small controversy if I'm alone in this thinking.

- TB

PS - Mike - I'm jazzed about Simon Pegg in this role.

Yeah, Pegg should be great, like he usually is.

As for Karl Urban he's usually hit or miss for me, but if anyone should've been cast as "Bones" it really should've Gary Sinese.

If anyone should've been cast as "Bones" it really should've Gary Sinese.

AHHGGGG!

Godamnit, you just hit the nail on the head!

Though that would have left Sinise as the ELDER fucking statesman in that group.

Dee Kelly was only 11 years Shatner's senior.

Sinise is 25 years older than Chris Pine.

After about 4 films they'd have to find a new doctor since Sinise is only 8 years away from being a senior citizen!

Still, in terms of likeness and crankiness, that would have been inspired casting.

Lt. Dan has missed his window ;)

- TB

Hate to reply to my own post but that first one was mighty long.

This just to say that I hope Karl Urban does a better job in this than what I recently saw take place with his portrayal of a young Woodrow Call (unbelievably portrayed by Tommy Lee Jones in "Lonesome Dove") in McMurtry's prequel "Comanche Moon". Urban was so completely cardboard playing against Steve Zahn's Emmy worthy performance as Gus McCrae (unbelievably portrayed by Robert Duvall in "Lonesome Dove"). I'm not saying it was his duty to recreate the performance of Jones (as Zahn CHANNELED Duvall), But not even a hint of even a southern twang? It was more like he was portraying the fucking Terminator. It was disappointing given that he was playing off of such a bravura performance by Zahn.

No point in defending it, no one will change my mind on this subject ;)

I understand that maybe he couldn't pull off the accent or that maybe he was attempting to play the character as written as opposed to what Tommy Lee did with it.

Or maybe I should blame Zahn for being so good. But after a so-so performance in Riddick, a flat performance in Pathfinder, and this cardboard performance in Comanche Moon, I'm beginning to lose hope in Urban's promise.

I WANT to like the guy. I really do. Physically he IS all that. He just hasn't sold me on his acting ability yet.

Hey, not that he's worried about what I think by any means :)

I just want him to be good and he hasn't yet been that for me personally when he's given larger roles.

I pray he makes the breakthrough in Trek.

One thing is for sure, he'll be a better looking Dr. McCoy. I'm sure the ladies will appreciate that.

Apologies for the small controversy if I'm alone in this thinking.

- TB

PS - Mike - I'm jazzed about Simon Pegg in this role.

I was surprised to hear that Karl Urban had been cast as "Bones" in this movie. That seems like a huuuuuge stretch to me. Bones was always the gentle, intelligent voice of reason on the Enterprise, nicely balancing out Kirk's cowboyishness and Spock's calm, rational logic. Karl Urban was fantastic in Xena, Warrior Princess, (that's where I first saw him and fell in love with him), and as the assassin, Kirill, in The Bourne Supremacy, he was chilling. But I have yet to see a real breakout performance from him, something that will really show his acting skills (as opposed to his action skills). I didn't see Comanche Moon (I wanted to, but I missed it), but I heard nothing good about his performance in it. I hope that his performance in this one doesn't disappoint like that one did. That could ruin the entire Star Trek skein, both for older fans, and for newer ones, just discovering it.

I do like the idea of Gary Sinise in that role, though, but as TB pointed out, he is a little out of the age range for this movie.

Yeah,I'm a bit of a Trekkie too, :D I'll admit it, though I've always been a fan of the TNG strain, as opposed to the DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise franchises. But I do love the classic Trek too.

Mediumfan

Yes...Karl Urban. Hmmmmm.... I truly hope he can bring the humor, sensitivity and sarcastic wit to the role that's needed. That character was always a doctor first, and not a warrior in the least....something Urban I think does well is play the strong silent warrior type. The second film in the Bourne series he was in was great playing that type. BUT Hey...I can give it a chance...it is perhaps type-casting and who knows what he can do when set free of the action genre. He'll have to really fool us into seeing McCoy, since he's the most recognizable crew member other than Simon Pegg.

I was thinking of alternatives to Urban, if I were casting...and I ain't, so here goes....AND...I am having A LOT of trouble matching the looks...obviously Gary Sinise is the closest, but far too old against the younger cast. My choices might be running too old still...

Rory Cochrane

http://imdb.com/name/nm0168262/

Seems to have the wit part DOWN, and the look though distant is ways, is also very similar in some ways.

Andy Serkis

http://imdb.com/name/nm0785227/

lol. yes...too old, but gotta imagine he might transform himself....and work harder than anyone to do it. Look at him in The Prestige...really close to the look....but yeah, too old.

Jeremy Davies

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001111/

Loved him in Saving Private Ryan, and he seems to have a vulnerable, but really intelligent thing going.

Topher Grace

http://imdb.com/name/nm0333410/

Young enough, and I think if he could play it straight, get the voice grittier...I like the way he looks.

Billy Crudup

http://imdb.com/name/nm0001082/

Great in Sleepers and Big Fish...similar look.

Timothy Olyphant

http://imdb.com/name/nm0648249/

Typically plays someone snarky, but intelligent...and really has a great look though not exactly the look.

Colin Hanks

http://imdb.com/name/nm0004988/

He'd have to get a bit more gravel in that voice, but I might buy it. slim chance...but just throwing it out there....

so yeah....not sure if ANY of these would work...but had to share.

--JD3

The bit of casting that really surprised me was Simon Pegg as Scotty. I wonder if he's going to do a bad scottish accent too? I'm not that big of a Trek fan, but I'm pretty interested in seeing this.

He does a hellova Michael Caine impersonation.

JO

Yes...Karl Urban. Hmmmmm.... I truly hope he can bring the humor, sensitivity and sarcastic wit to the role that's needed. That character was always a doctor first, and not a warrior in the least....something Urban I think does well is play the strong silent warrior type. The second film in the Bourne series he was in was great playing that type. BUT Hey...I can give it a chance...it is perhaps type-casting and who knows what he can do when set free of the action genre. He'll have to really fool us into seeing McCoy, since he's the most recognizable crew member other than Simon Pegg.

I was thinking of alternatives to Urban, if I were casting...and I ain't, so here goes....AND...I am having A LOT of trouble matching the looks...obviously Gary Sinise is the closest, but far too old against the younger cast. My choices might be running too old still...

Rory Cochrane

http://imdb.com/name/nm0168262/

Seems to have the wit part DOWN, and the look though distant is ways, is also very similar in some ways.

Andy Serkis

http://imdb.com/name/nm0785227/

lol. yes...too old, but gotta imagine he might transform himself....and work harder than anyone to do it. Look at him in The Prestige...really close to the look....but yeah, too old.

Jeremy Davies

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001111/

Loved him in Saving Private Ryan, and he seems to have a vulnerable, but really intelligent thing going.

Topher Grace

http://imdb.com/name/nm0333410/

Young enough, and I think if he could play it straight, get the voice grittier...I like the way he looks.

Billy Crudup

http://imdb.com/name/nm0001082/

Great in Sleepers and Big Fish...similar look.

Timothy Olyphant

http://imdb.com/name/nm0648249/

Typically plays someone snarky, but intelligent...and really has a great look though not exactly the look.

Colin Hanks

http://imdb.com/name/nm0004988/

He'd have to get a bit more gravel in that voice, but I might buy it. slim chance...but just throwing it out there....

so yeah....not sure if ANY of these would work...but had to share.

--JD3

Great choices, Tim. I like all of those. If I were casting (and I'm not either, lol) I'd pick Topher Grace or Billy Crudup (LOVED him in Hi-Lo Country). Or maybe even Colin Hanks. I think any of them could pull off a young "Bones".

Mediumfan

Great choices, Jim. I like all of those. If I were casting (and I'm not either, lol) I'd pick Topher Grace or Billy Crudup (LOVED him in Hi-Lo Country). Or maybe even Colin Hanks. I think any of them could pull off a young "Bones".

Mediumfan

I think I could see Topher Grace really pulling it of somehow. Maybe Karl Urban will surprise everyone... :)

I hope Urban makes me eat my words, truthfully.

Like I said, I do want to like the guy. Hopefully he gets it together here.

But I do hope he's paying his agent well, cause that guy is a miracle worker.

Since I made the comments above in reference to his acting in Comanche Moon, I did a little research, and apparently I'm not the only one who is casting aspersions Karl's way after his work on that. I've also discovered that this opinion is not limited to Comanche Moon. The question I have is - How in the Hell does he keep landing ace projects?

Normally when you don't deliver to people's expectations the job offers start to dry up, or at least the good ones do. In Urban's case they seem to increase!

Hey, my hat's off to him, I wish him only the best. In spite of my seemingly unfair comments I am a fan, and as a fan I just want to see him do well.

I want to see him raise his game and take it up another notch. When he hasn't (only my opinion) it's just all the more disappointing.

But enough of my bitching about Karl Urban (And if there were a Pink Floyd movie he should play a young David Gilmour).

I'm just hoping for a great film adventure.

- TB

Gotta luv the Shatman!

In a recent article Director JJ Abrams talked about the reasons why William Shatner is not in the new Star Trek Movie. William Shatner responds to the statements in this video.

Guest FADoss

Oddly, I watched that video on myspace. Shatner is just fantastic and that was one of the BEST responses I have EVER seen. How do you call someone a liar and come away that smooth? :)

Fred

I never knew he wrote books until last month when I stopped by the local library in my mother in-law's town. Looks like he's done quite a few.

The site I saw this video from didn't make it sound like he took it well, but considering, he seems to have taken it pretty well and didn't burn any bridges in doing so. Maybe in the next one.

I totally understand why JJ may not have wanted Shatner aboard for the reboot.

I also totally understand why Nimoy is still relevant here.

I don't think it really has anything to do with Kirk having died in Generations.

It would have been relatively easy to find a way to bring him back.

My perception is that Shatner now carries the baggage of his current career with him.

He has a certain persona now that folks identify with. It's quirky, it's fun, it's fucking Bill Shatner lunacy at it's best.

But that persona might have thrown off what JJ hopes to accomplish with this new direction.

Nimoy doesn't have that kind of baggage (even though it's good baggage ;)

Kirk/Shatner have aged perceptibly. He is no longer the dashing young Captain.

Nimoy looks older but still very much like Spock. He hasn't really gone to seed in any way.

Nimoy has kinda aged like a . . . well . . . a Vulcan!

It's a good way to bridge the gap from the old and trusted audience to the new generation.

I feel for Bill having been left out. But I'm also realistic.

At the very least, JJ should have invited the remaining cast members to visit the set for a week or two as consultants/advisors.

That would have spread lots of good vibe and the young actors playing their roles would have been all the better for the experience.

JJ, I'm afraid you stepped into sacred territory and neglected to consider a vital element.

- TB

Guest FADoss
I totally understand why JJ may not have wanted Shatner aboard for the reboot.

I also totally understand why Nimoy is still relevant here.

I don't think it really has anything to do with Kirk having died in Generations.

It would have been relatively easy to find a way to bring him back.

My perception is that Shatner now carries the baggage of his current career with him.

He has a certain persona now that folks identify with. It's quirky, it's fun, it's fucking Bill Shatner lunacy at it's best.

But that persona might have thrown off what JJ hopes to accomplish with this new direction.

Nimoy doesn't have that kind of baggage (even though it's good baggage ;)

Kirk/Shatner have aged perceptibly. He is no longer the dashing young Captain.

Nimoy looks older but still very much like Spock. He hasn't really gone to seed in any way.

Nimoy has kinda aged like a . . . well . . . a Vulcan!

It's a good way to bridge the gap from the old and trusted audience to the new generation.

I feel for Bill having been left out. But I'm also realistic.

At the very least, JJ should have invited the remaining cast members to visit the set for a week or two as consultants/advisors.

That would have spread lots of good vibe and the young actors playing their roles would have been all the better for the experience.

JJ, I'm afraid you stepped into sacred territory and neglected to consider a vital element.

- TB

I think the key element of that video is that supposedly, Abrams has told folks that Shatner was asked to participate, when he clearly wasn't. Hopefully that is a misunderstanding. Perhaps Abrams was misquoted or someone who works with/for him didn't do their job, or Abrams was misinformed. Hopefully, he didn't say one thing and do another.

A LOT of Trekkies out there (and I am not a Trekkie) are VERY loyal. If their is a perception generated that Abrams has shit all over an ICON, then I'm afraid his film won't do very well at all, despite the fact that the man is a GENIUS!!!

Fred

I'm thinking this little thread might be best combined with the official Star Trek movie thread.

Don't be surprised if it ends up joining it's older brother.

Trudell

Good idea Trudell.

I think the key element of that video is that supposedly, Abrams has told folks that Shatner was asked to participate, when he clearly wasn't. Hopefully that is a misunderstanding. Perhaps Abrams was misquoted or someone who works with/for him didn't do their job, or Abrams was misinformed. Hopefully, he didn't say one thing and do another.

A LOT of Trekkies out there (and I am not a Trekkie) are VERY loyal. If their is a perception generated that Abrams has shit all over an ICON, then I'm afraid his film won't do very well at all, despite the fact that the man is a GENIUS!!!

Fred

I don't think Abrams ever shit all over Shatner, not by any stretch. I just think that it's fairly clear that he never saw Shatner in the film, otherwise we'd be having a different conversation ;) What I do think he's guilty of (and guilty is rather a strong word) is not reaching out to Shatner and company earlier in the process, even if it was just a situation where he invited the original cast to the set, made them feel at least a small part of the new direction, had everyone meet everyone, etc . . .

Just a courtesy. That's what I mean when I say "JJ, I'm afraid you stepped into sacred territory and neglected to consider a vital element."

Courtesy of acknowledgment if nothing else.

It's rather silly to have old cast members popping up in the films at this stage. OK, Spock makes sense. Maybe even Shatner makes sense as long as they could come up with a reasonable story that was gripping. The molecules being spread, etc . . . That Shatner was referring to has already been kinda done in STTNG with Scotty. It'd be kinda dodgy to retread that idea. Still, as Shatner suggests, JJ is a smart mother F'er. Too late for this one by far, but if it hits with any success there will be plenty more films and plenty of other opportunities for Shatner to have his day. But first thing's first. JJ, ya gotta give Bill a touch base, take the guy out to dinner and let him regale you with stories. Get on the right foot. After that, whatever happens happens.

- TB

Guest FADoss
Good idea Trudell.

I don't think Abrams ever shit all over Shatner, not by any stretch. I just think that it's fairly clear that he never saw Shatner in the film, otherwise we'd be having a different conversation ;) What I do think he's guilty of (and guilty is rather a strong word) is not reaching out to Shatner and company earlier in the process, even if it was just a situation where he invited the original cast to the set, made them feel at least a small part of the new direction, had everyone meet everyone, etc . . .

Just a courtesy. That's what I mean when I say "JJ, I'm afraid you stepped into sacred territory and neglected to consider a vital element."

Courtesy of acknowledgment if nothing else.

It's rather silly to have old cast members popping up in the films at this stage. OK, Spock makes sense. Maybe even Shatner makes sense as long as they could come up with a reasonable story that was gripping. The molecules being spread, etc . . . That Shatner was referring to has already been kinda done in STTNG with Scotty. It'd be kinda dodgy to retread that idea. Still, as Shatner suggests, JJ is a smart mother F'er. Too late for this one by far, but if it hits with any success there will be plenty more films and plenty of other opportunities for Shatner to have his day. But first thing's first. JJ, ya gotta give Bill a touch base, take the guy out to dinner and let him regale you with stories. Get on the right foot. After that, whatever happens happens.

- TB

I get all that, but again, what I got from the video is that Abrams says he TALKED to Shatner and Shatner says that's bullshit. If he says he talked to him and that is not true...then THAT is an issue.

Fred

I was saddened to read this news today; I met her a couple of times and I will miss her.

Joan Winston, ‘Trek’ Superfan, Dies at 77

Guest AdminGuyX
I get all that, but again, what I got from the video is that Abrams says he TALKED to Shatner and Shatner says that's bullshit. If he says he talked to him and that is not true...then THAT is an issue.

When did Abrams say he talked to him? Nothing in the video indicates that they spoke. Shatner says, in quite a friendly way, "Nobody offered me a cameo" and then later "JJ, nobody offered me a part in your movie". Because Shatner knows it all goes through peoples people, and the studio folks could well have lied right to JJ about it.

He also goes out of his way to compliment JJ in several ways. And really, nobody has any real reason to lie about anything, or make shit up, so it's probably just a misunderstanding between producers and agents.

Personally, I want JJ to make an original film next instead of a rebooted 60's TV show (first MI3, not Trek) and what I think would be cool is if he writes in a big action role for Shatner.