Mutant Chronicles

The link Kwiat left before worked for me the first time I clicked it.

Now it says "Document Not Found".

What happened?

Help.

- tb

Not working from here for me anymore, either. Sorry about that. It's a mystery to me.

The page is still in Jen's Thomas Jane Yahoo Group file. Easily accessible there, but you have to be a member. That may be helpful to folks who are having trouble reading it here.

Over the last few years, I've been in and out of a few Yahoo Groups. Jen does a good job and runs a really good group. I highly recommend it.

k-skye

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tim for contacting Matt! I really enjoy the book. It seems to tie original MC fluff together with movie stuff quite neatly, though I am anxious to find out which belongs to which ;)

Quite easy to guess though... A shame the movie does not bring more from the original franchise than names. Read a few british reviews posted last Friday. Not very positive... which scares me. Though, most of them sounded like they did not know shit about what they were talking about :P (one review even had a different director listed, so fuck knows which movie they were watching... hahaha!)

Good to hear.

Would you be kind enough to write a more detailed review for us?

We'd all appreciate it,

-TL

Here you go a more detailed review, sorry if it isnt very good i dont usually write reviews and can anyone tell if the score from the film is going to be released on cd.

The film starts off with a narration to explain the mutant chronicles world and how the 4 corporations are at war over the world’s remaining energy resources. This followed by a brilliant start to the main story with a world war 1 style trench battle with high tech weaponry and steam powered tanks. This is the most visually stunning of all the action scenes and unfortunately the action that follows doesn’t live up to the opening. But that being said the other action scenes are well paced and impressive.

Tom Jane, Ron Perlman and Sean Pertwee all put in excellent performances but John Malkovich in a surprisingly bad effort seems sleeps through his part. A couple of the supporting characters could use some more character development but the still come across as likable and serve the story well.

Overall the film was well paced, with a good story, great cast, unique visuals that really need to be seen on the big screen and excellent action.

Unfortunately the film probably wont find mainstream success, but without a doubt will gain a loyal following and become a future cult classic.

Thanks a whole lot Jay!!!

Its good to hear an unbiased review of the film.

...but John Malkovich in a surprisingly bad effort seems sleeps through his part.

I hate to say I'm not surprised about this.

The man just doesn't seem to care sometimes.

He suffers from the same disease Ben Kingsley displayed for 10 years after Schindler's List.

I haven't seen Malkovich give a shit in a long time.

-TL

Not working from here for me anymore, either. Sorry about that. It's a mystery to me.

The page is still in Jen's Thomas Jane Yahoo Group file. Easily accessible there, but you have to be a member. That may be helpful to folks who are having trouble reading it here.

Over the last few years, I've been in and out of a few Yahoo Groups. Jen does a good job and runs a really good group. I highly recommend it.

k-skye

Thanks k-skye, about my Group on Tom. I try to put the pertinent news there about what Tom's doing. I just wish for 2 things over there - that more peeps would post messages, whether it's "news" or opinions about Tom 'n' his career, and I really wish there was more file space for Photos!

Anyway, going on to Mutant Chronicles, I've been here 'n' there online and there are some reviews floating out there that are quite harsh and negative, and some that are middling, and it's very frustrating to read these reviews, because, like everyone's saying, it's an unfinished film, but that's not acknowleged at all within the review! :(

Jen

No one is implying that, Praetorian.

The point we've been trying to make as supporters of this film is that a lot of the early, critical reviews are somewhat unjustified given that the film is not finished. Problems and inconsistencies with the opening narrative, editing, color timing, CGI tweaks, ect . . . A lot of which would address some of the criticisms that have been levied against the film in it's current unfinished state. On top of that, most, if not all of these early reviews were based upon illegally downloading the content for screening.

That is bad damage as 99% of the people downloading it likely had no idea that what they were seeing was a rough cut.

Yet now they have an opinion.

Whoever is responsible for releasing it in the UK and Russia theatrically should take a huge amount of blame too, as it seems very evident they aren't bothering to tell anyone that the film ain't quite done!

Bottom line, the people that have seen it and didn't like it may have a different response to a completed version of the film.

It's also quite possible they will hate it just as much or even more so. Who knows.

- TB

The criticism I have heard from people mainly revolves around the plot and the fact that it "isn't Mutant Chronicles". Those things won't change, so I am certain that the people that told me that won't change their minds.

Isn't it weird that most reviews sound the same? They all use the same comparisons in their reviews (dirty dozen etc.) and no one is constructive... Makes me laugh at how they suck :-)

To those who have seen the movie, is Constantine's demise included in the movie?

I wouldnt read a book review if some of the chapters are missing in the book...I wouldnt read a video game review if the graphics or gameplay aren't finished...Just like I wouldn't read a movie review if the visual effects and editing arent finished...Why? Because those things can make all the difference in the world to me.

I hope you'd care for a short book review about a book that has all pages intact, even though it is based on an unfinished movie ;)

I finished Mutant Chronicles by Matt Forbeck last weekend. It is one of the best books I have ever read. The first part throws us into a gritty, shitty and all out desperate war between the Capitol and Bauhaus Megacorporations. Forbeck manages to deliver the intensity in his words, and it kept me reading until it was all finally over and a calm moment appeared. All sweaty, muddy and full of bulletholes, it was hard to put down the book. The pacing is excellent. Forbeck has, to my understanding, mixed stuff from both the movie and the RPG, with elaborate backstories about the characters. It is a real shame that more RPG stuff won't be in the movie, but I guess one has to live with that. The climax of the book was one of the most exciting parts. When the team enters the Machine, things really heat up, and in those hours, the book felt like glued to the palms of my hands. When the book was over, I felt a bit sad. It is a very short book, spanning a mere 280 pages with quite a big font. A weekend should be enough for the enthusiast. The language is good, and for a non-native English speaker as myself it is very easy to understand everything. The harsh language really adds to the realism.

The good things: easy to read, interesting story, good that the author mixed RPG fluff into it, really damn EXCITING!!!

The bad things: too short...

I can only hope that we will see more Mutant Chronicles books, hopefully from Matt Forbeck. It feels a bit sad that many of the things in the book aren't in the movie (from what I understand, have yet to see it). There are additional creatures (a Razide, a Nepharite and two Ezoghouls), some painted symbols and names representing the names of the Dark Apostles, and more. These things would definitely make the movie feel like Mutant Chronicles in more than names.

A must read! Don't miss out on it!

Addendum: I am now stricken with hype about the movie, and I absolutely MUST see it. I can't stop thinking about which scenes are in the movie and which are not... I guess time will tell.

Eldritch, I sometimes think you and I are the only two people on planet Earth who had to read the book so that we could at least see the movie in our heads.

Forbeck manages to deliver the intensity in his words, and it kept me reading until it was all finally over and a calm moment appeared. All sweaty, muddy and full of bulletholes, it was hard to put down the book. The pacing is excellent.

I totally agree. I stayed up late one night to finish reading the book because I knew if I went to bed, I'd just be wondering how it ends and wouldn't fall asleep anyway.

It was an entertaining read. I don't think I could call it one of the best books I've ever read, but it was very good at bringing a gamer's world to life. I liked the back stories and Forbeck's descriptions of the thoughts and feelings of the characters. If I ever get to see this flick on a screen of any size, I think having read the book will add to the experience.

It's easy to see why so much of the film had to be done with green screen. They would have had to build some awfully big sets otherwise.

Ajyway, I enjoyed the book as well. Hope to see the movie somewhere besides the inside of my head someday.

k-skye

Here are a few links to short blogger reviews and some choice excerpts; the reviewers go into more depth, with pros 'n' cons of the film, but I thought the following quotes capture the aethetic of Mutant Chronicles:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/07/13...#comment-741953

"Loud, exciting, very funny, and brutally entertaining, it just might be the action film of the year — a movie full of great fight scenes, excitement around every corner, and visually arresting set designs that will hold even the most cynical viewer's interest. Truthfully, it is the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time.

Sporting an A-list action cast that includes Ron Perlman (Hellboy) and Thomas Jane (The Punisher), it is sure to please a certain targeted audience that has a lust for action and a strong appetite for gore. The thrills, the shocks, and the sheer enjoyment of going to the movies is all there and in full, ass-kicking form."

and

http://baggy.livejournal.com/741574.html

"It was a straightforward 110 minutes with plenty of possible plot holes & flights of fancy, but with enough action and blood to keep me happy."

and

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Satellite...ticleController

"This B-movie sci-fi actioner ...with smoky steam-punk visuals... buckets of carnage. Guilty pleasure? Almost."

and

http://living.scotsman.com/movies/Film-rev...ker-.4583222.jp

"...Lovers of fake blood will find Mutant Chronicles a generous movie."

and

http://alterred.livejournal.com/175401.html

"Just watched the first ten mins.....fuck! Someone has finally made a decent Steampunk movie!"

and

http://thefilmkiwi.blogspot.com/2008/10/mu...orror-2008.html

"Definitely a movie worth watching for fun, gore and action value, perfect watching for a Friday night with friends..."

and

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/oct/12...ionandadventure

"It starts like All Quiet on the Western Front meets Nineteen Eighty-Four and turns into a futuristic action movie..."

Jen

No of course not Tim, no one was implying that at all......... silly me.........

This reads like sarcasm Praetorian.

If I'm wrong then please forgive me.

What's the beef? No one here that has worked on the production or who are close to the situation is arguing that there aren't problems with this film.

But it's not finished. And in light of that we're all scratching our heads about the decision to release the rough cut to theaters in the UK and elsewhere.

I'm not sure I understand the impetus to be flip and sardonic about this.

Do you have a different opinion? If so then please explain.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX
When the film is finished will that somehow make the people who hate the film... like it?

I would hope so. It can make a marked and dramatic difference to the viewing experience. Finished FX in a science fiction film especially will make or break it.

I haven't seen the unfinished cut, and hope I never do.

Take the teaser trailers. The first one I saw was rough, and not terribly finished looking.

Then the finished, much better looking trailers were released. Much easier to fall in love with.

:)

Mutant Chronicles is being screened at Toronto's After Dark Film Festival (October 17-24) on October 22 at 7pm. Oh, to be in Toronto that night! :)

"Sci-Fi action fans will be over the moon with the Canadian Premiere of the star-sudded dark future-set MUTANT CHRONICLES starring Thomas Jane (THE MIST), Ron Perlman (HELLBOY), Devon Aoki (SIN CITY) and John Malkovich.".

Here's the link to the official site for the Film Fest:

http://www.torontoafterdark.com/

and here's what Fangoria has to say about MC at this link: http://www.fangoriaonline.com/gore/blogs/c...-gory-gear.html

"A first-rate science fiction pulp extravaganza, this comic book styled future shocker (starring Ron Perlman and Thomas Jane) is like SIN CITY crossed with STARSHIP TROUPERS by way of DOG SOLDIERS. Fantastic dark fantasy filmmaking…"

Jen

and here's what Fangoria has to say about MC at this link: http://www.fangoriaonline.com/gore/blogs/c...-gory-gear.html

"A first-rate science fiction pulp extravaganza, this comic book styled future shocker (starring Ron Perlman and Thomas Jane) is like SIN CITY crossed with STARSHIP TROUPERS by way of DOG SOLDIERS. Fantastic dark fantasy filmmaking…"

Jen

It's refreshing to see people who understand the spirit of what Simon Hunter was going for with Mutant Chronicles.

It isn't aspiring to be Alien, or Aliens for that matter. It's pulpy Sci-Fi Horror with some fun action beats and some fun actors having . . . Fun.

Nice when someone gets it. "Dark Fantasy filmmaking", I like that.

- TB

It's refreshing to see people who understand the spirit of what Simon Hunter was going for with Mutant Chronicles.

It isn't aspiring to be Alien, or Aliens for that matter. It's pulpy Sci-Fi Horror with some fun action beats and some fun actors having . . . Fun.

Nice when someone gets it. "Dark Fantasy filmmaking", I like that.

- TB

Totally. thats exactly what it is, pure pulp. its great to see that some people 'get it'. It aint star wars, that was never the intention. i think we all tried to make it unique. yes, its rough around the edges, yes its a slam bang shoot 'em up but no, it aint like everything else. it has its own character and its such a shame it hasn't been afforded that extra finesse and tweaking it so deserves. it was an extremely ambitious project (maybe too ambitious) and it could become a real cult thing. Just goes to show what a minefield independent film-making can be.

for all its b-move trappings, it certainly has balls...huge, clanking, steaming balls of steel!

lets hope it fucks some shit up in toronto.

d.

Ah, the chameleonic Thomas Jane! ;)

...and here's the link to another MC review I found online. Reader beware: it goes into some detail about the plot and over-arching themes, so you may not want to read it until you see the film...IMO:

http://www.filmarcade.net/2008/08/mutant-c...-by-kelsey.html

Jen

Found this at Atlantic Film's website (the publisher in Scandinavia):

1876_BigPackshotFront.jpg

According to their website, the DVD release is on February 18th next year. However, it does not seem to come to theatres here :( :( :huh::angry:

That actually makes me sad. I was so looking forward to seeing it on the big screen... One thing points to that the DVD cover might change before the release. The year, 2707, is mentioned on the cover. The film is said to be set in 2407, not 2707. However, quite nice cover, but I wonder why John Malcovich is there instead of the "more-on-screen" actors (from what I have heard, Benno Fürmann is actually more on screen).

Oh well, this movie will ROCK!!!

• Geoff changed the title to Mutant Chronicles
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.