sidewaysgaze

Mutant Chronicles - SPOILERS inside

Here's the official site link again for the movie:

http://www.mutantchroniclesthemovie.com/

I just checked out the Production Diary (all videos) section, and in the Stills topic, right near the end, they are shooting (with cameras) the characters, and one of them is Tom, but the screen is so tiny for the video, and Tom's kinda far away, so you don't see that much. Just what he's wearing for his still pic.

I wish they'd release those stills soon, as well as more pix! :D

Jen

Oh, that reminds me, again at the official site, in Production Diary area, there's the topic of Troop Transport, and there's a couple of quick, funny (I think) scenes, where you see a bunch of main peeps in the carrier (I definitely see Ron Perlman), and they're all visibly shaking and shuddering, to simulate transport I guess, LOL, and it just looks amusing to see their legs out and shaking so much.

I mean, like they had to do their own "stunts" there. The Troop Transport is not what was moving. :lol:

Also, near the end of the video, there is a quick shot of Tom walking out of the carrier, but his head's kinda down, so you don't see him that well. You can see many of the other main actors though, like Ron and Devon A., amid clips of director Simon Hunter eating...

Jen

I can't be a 100% sure if this is real but someone posted this a week or two ago.

Issue of Doomzine, #24, you can find this interview to Simon Hunter, director of the movie.

Hi Simon.

Welcome back to these pages.

DZ. Well, the movie is really finished?

SH. Yes it is. January 12th I think we finished. All done.

DZ. Are you totally satisfied of the final result? Or there are things that you changes?

SH. Yes. We set out to create a really fun B movie in the best sense of the word. Nothing pretentious, just fun and exciting.

DZ. Does the original script written by Phillip Eisner has been reworken ? If yes, on which points ?

SH. Not really, I have tried to show the world of Mutant Chronicles rather than have characters talk about it endlessly. Philip and I were very clear on what we wanted.

DZ. Is the scenario a stand-alone story or a cliffhanger to another movie(s) ?

SH. It is a stand alone story. We decided to show entertain the audience with a few aspects of the Mutant Chronicles universe, we can show them much more of it when they are 'hooked' on the first movie.

DZ. Which it has been the thing more difficult to realize?

SH. All the 1800 visual effects shots - so many!

DZ. What did the special effect has brought to the film, as a narrative viewpoint and as a director viewpoint ?

SH. a clear vision, a through design that is impossible to get with locations and too expensive to do with sets.

DZ. Your inspiration is taken root from other films or, on contrary, is an amelioration of certain scenes seen in other films (but no satisfied by these) ?

SH. No I think this film looks original. I certainly did not want to copy the best loved films of the genre, Aliens, Star Wars, Bladerunner etc/

DZ. About post-production, this movie has had a time of post-production a lot along, more than one year…

SH. Yes. 1800 shots takes time and we wanted to get it right.

DZ. What do you think about the cast? There is an actor who has been surprise to you like intensity of performance, in the context of the movie?

SH. Thomas and Ron are the stars of this movie, they are just amazing actors and genuinely lovely people.

DZ. Which part of the movie, do you are very proud of in the directing? Best moment during the project?

SH. the finale in the 'machine' the necromachina.

DZ. This is THE QUESTION! Ok, many fans are… really angry, because in the movie there aren't monsters, big shoulder pads, there isn't Cybertronic, and the background of the Chronicles seem to be different from that we have known and loved. What can you say about all this?

SH. There are no creatures and big shoulder pads because on the budget we had they would have looked terrible, we could not have done creatures well so we decided to stick to things we were good at. We have freshened up the Mutants world. I really hope the fans love the movie, if they don't then maybe they will like the other movies we intend to make. Cybertronic isn't there because it does not focus in our story. We cannot cover everything. I am sure it will be there in MC2 if it happens.

DZ. Do you think that will be a MC2?

SH. If MC1 does well.

DZ. Do you hope to be director of this new movie?

SH. just finished this one - time for a break!

DZ. And for when it will be release?

SH. no idea - sorry.

DZ. Ok, say us something about the soundtrack.

SH. excellent - 70 minutes of the best film scoring you could imagine.

DZ. If there are derived products planned from the movie at his knowledge (comics from Black Horse or Panini Comics rumor by example) ?

SH. no idea - sorry.

DZ. Well, last question, but first in importance: about release date?

SH. up to the distributors in each country - I will keep you posted.

DZ. Ok, many thank's, Simon. Of course, all we will see this movie, with all the faith that we carry from more than ten years.

SH. thank you Fabio, I hope you guys enjoy the movie, but please understand that Philip and i want to get a new group of people to explore the MC world. Too much detail about the world is dull and many game adaptations suffer from this. If you want a fun 100 minute movie with some laughs and jumps then MC is for you!

I also found this link

http://www.forbeck.com/category/mutant-chronicles/

I just thought this was interesting; excerpts from a blog by a writer

of an upcoming Mutant Chronicles book, based on the movie! Use the

link at end of excerpts for more of his take on the process:

"Last week, Paradox arranged for a few private showings of a just-

about-final cut of the film to show to their partners and prospective

licensees. They also flew me out West Hollywood to see what they'd

done.

Paradox had told me that the director (Simon Hunter) had altered the

script in a few key spots. This made sense to me. As a writer, I

outline my original books and then often come up with better ideas on

the fly while I'm actually writing them. The same sort of thing

happens in film, and it's better for the director and his team to

work on making the best film they can rather than slavishly follow a

script.

I got to watch the film twice in two days. I brought my laptop into

the private screening room with me and typed furiously as the action

played out on the screen. The film was much as I had imagined it

would be, only better."

and

"They care about this thing they've created and what it's morphed

into. They respect the time and effort they've put into it, and they

want to make sure the fans of the film and the book get the best

experiences from them that they can."

http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/mutating-novelizations

One of my friends who found out about this movie asked me if there will be a video game of the movie? I told him I don't know but I hope so... that would be great.

A new shot of Jane arriving at The Mutant Chronicles set during the shoot...

thomasjaneismitchhunterrk5.jpg

I'm lookin forward to this film and to a release date for it.

-TL

After lookin through different sites and message boards I managed to read about the reactions of 3 different people who saw the film at a screening.

They were all negative reactions mainly emphacizing on the film's poor special effects and lack of CGI use.

I don't see those "flaws" as flaws. I enjoy old school sci-fi films that rely on practical effects and low budgets.

James Gunn's Slither was fuckin awesome and it had a very small budget. Mutant Chronicles allegedly had an $8 Million budget.

I think this can prove to be a cool little sci-fi flick, even though it probably won't make any money.

-TL

After lookin through different sites and message boards I managed to read about the reactions of 3 different people who saw the film at a screening.

They were all negative reactions mainly emphacizing on the film's poor special effects and lack of CGI use.

I don't see those "flaws" as flaws. I enjoy old school sci-fi films that rely on practical effects and low budgets.

James Gunn's Slither was fuckin awesome and it had a very small budget. Mutant Chronicles allegedly had an $8 Million budget.

I think this can prove to be a cool little sci-fi flick, even though it probably won't make any money.

-TL

I, too, am CGI weary. It doesn't have to be in everything, and often distracts from the story because you're sitting there thinking how good or bad the CGI is, rather than about the storyline. I was under the impression that Mutant Chronicles used a lot of green screen, though, so I hope it's not as bad as they seem to think it is.

And if they stayed anywhere near the $8 mil budget, I don't see how they can do anything but make a profit.

Kwiat, I see your point on the film making a profit, but there's a flipside to that coin.

There seems to be a general consensus that dictates low budget films (due to their low budget) HAVE to make a profit. In many cases, this is not true.

Many films that cost anywhere from $10-15 Million have failed to make even that amount back.

With this film (depending on how wide and long the release will be) advertising will probably be minimal if the budget was that low and advertising is a film's first step into financial gain.

The project has been in limbo for some time now and that's a sign of the studio's disregard for it's release aka they probably won't give it much advertising in the end.

-TL

This is the cover for the upcoming paperback novelization of the film...

mutantchroniclesin5.jpg

The good news is, the book has an August 26 release date - which means we're getting this film on August 29 2008!!!

Yes people, its a partial assumption, but movie tie-ins always come out a few days prior to the film so this could very well be the case here.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that this won't follow in the footsteps of Killshot,

-TL

Ok, this link *barely* has a connection with Mutant Chronicles, but I thought it was interesting. Mutant Chronicles has been described as having a "steampunk" vision, so here's a New York Times article about the trend - in fashion, home decor, music, and social aspect:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/fashion/...70&emc=eta1

Jen

That's cool, Jen. And it's interesting because I just read another article about that very same thing yesterday. I had no idea that this trend was so fast-growing. Makes me even more excited to see this movie. Sounds like it's gonna be a futuristic "version" of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Not the same kind of story, but a similar feel. That should be fun.

Mediumfan

i still can't get over how after 100 years reviewers still think actors know exactly how the movie is gonna turn out before we make it... i gotta say that these reviews are very premature - the film is not by any means finished yet - the SFX are still early on, and the edit needs another pass. that said, the premise is not for everyone. it's crazy Buck Rogers style, slightly over the top and very stylized. it was a risky film, and i'd rather be taking risks on something that has a very cool look and original take on the 'future' than doing a bad rehash of something that i know is gonna suck. we're looking for an american distributor to throw in the finishing funds for Mutant. Our very own Dave Allcock is doing up another teaser poster now - maybe we'll sneak it on here in a couple days.

Cant wait to see the poster!

Im super excited about the movie!

It so awesome you all are making a original type film and no the same old cookie cutter bs hollywood is pouring out every damn day.

So I say the hell with the reviewers!

I know I can speak for myself and buddy Bmac , Well be there on opening day to see it!

I agree, Thomas. Fuck the reviewers. I have learned over the years not to trust the opinion of someone who gets paid to sit on their ass and "critique" something that someone else has worked so hard on and given so much of themselves to. That's a bunch of BS. What kind of a job is that? I want to get paid to laugh at someone else's work.

I won't watch or read anything just because someone tells me to. If it looks interesting to me, I'll read it or watch it. But what appeals to one person probably won't appeal to the person next to them, so reading those reviews is a waste of time. I decide if I want to watch it based on what I like, and I make my own judgements then.

Either way, I can't wait to see this movie, and I hope things get worked out soon so we can see it. Lotsa luck with that.

Mediumfan

Last time I checked explosion after explosion movies were amazing, but hey thats just me. All i know is I can't wait to see it.

I know of a handful, but it would be funny to see how many movies that ended up being classics (cult or traditional) or just beloved by the masses. All a reviewer does is get paid to have an opinion, valid or otherwise. Usually otherwise.

I found this short review

Enough of the mediocre that will soon be on DVD sale well before Halloween; here’s Fango’s must-see pick of the Cannes market crop. MUTANT CHRONICLES (pictured above) has been a long time coming, mainly due to changes in director over many development years but also because final choice Simon (DEAD OF NIGHT/LIGHTHOUSE) Hunter chose to make his Gothic steampunk science-fiction/horror epic in a revolutionary digital greenscreen process. The result is an epic treat more reminiscent of Guy Maddin’s arcane work than the commercial 300-style venture one imagines was expected. Thomas Jane, Ron Perlman, Devon Aoki and Benno Furmann are the space warriors assigned to blow up a subterranean human-into-mutant machine defiling wartorn corporate Earth. The design is METROPOLIS retro, the action is well-crafted (a gigantic lift-shaft scene is extremely suspenseful) and the Eisenstein junkyard look is effectively eerie. It may be too cryptic for breakout success, but its niche delights are highly unusual and always visually interesting. And it is spectacularly gory.

http://www.fangoria.com/fearful_feature.php?id=6649