Geoff

Real Men Documentary

Oh stupid me, the trailer is up there first page 😄 Sorry

RE Filming style: Yes we decided to use a lot of slo-mo, backlight and low angles; we really wanted to give it this 'grandiose' kind of feeling. For one, I wanted to represent the actors accordingly and not just show them in interview settings, but make it understandable how they work with the camera and how the camera works with them, and as the film is also about how these icons are being artificially created, the camera is of course an important part of the process. 

I wanted it to feel very artificial, there are not many 'reportage' parts so you don't see anyone buying a pint of milk 🙂 In the Arte version there is the storyline of an actor in Hollywood who is going through the whole process, the physical and acting training that is part of the creation, so those parts are filmed 'classic' documentary style, breathing camera, following the action. 

RE Thomas' appearance: During edting, it was so obvious that he was THE guy in the film who would be commenting on many aspects of it so I really felt that he would have to reappear and be the one who provides the ending. He had already said the perfect things to end the film in 2015 but I felt he should also be seen once more.So I sent him the trailer, he was happy with it and said, come on over. As I had a few days left to film in LA again anyway, it was perfect. He looked totally different, with a beard and longer hair, but barefoot as always 🙂 I can only say that he is a very generous, gracious man; there is no sense of hurry and he is completely easy going. Also, when we filmed him for the closing images he knew rightaway what we were going for. He just felt it. He is a super pro. And also super nice. And super smart.

Funny thing is, I once won the Best Picture award at SDCC with another film back in 2007 - and Thomas was head of the jury back then! I wasn't there when it happened (story of my life), but my Canadian producer was and he told me that Thomas told people "The film was so good, I am not going to give back the screener!" 🙂 So I felt confident enough to contact him for Real Men based on that story. 

3 minutes ago, Hasko Baumann said:

Funny thing is, I once won the Best Picture award at SDCC with another film back in 2007 - and Thomas was head of the jury back then! I wasn't there when it happened (story of my life), but my Canadian producer was and he told me that Thomas told people "The film was so good, I am not going to give back the screener!" 🙂 So I felt confident enough to contact him for Real Men based on that story. 

Ok so now I'm imploding. TJ was in the jury that gave you first prize for the Moebius Doc? AWESOME! I will need to lay my hands on it. When I wrote my previous post I absolutely wanted to see it but now it has a layer more to it.

6 minutes ago, Hasko Baumann said:

I can only say that he is a very generous, gracious man; there is no sense of hurry and he is completely easy going. Also, when we filmed him for the closing images he knew rightaway what we were going for. He just felt it. He is a super pro. And also super nice. And super smart.

And you're a pro when talking to fans 😁 now I'm melting...

19 minutes ago, Hasko Baumann said:

I really felt that he would have to reappear and be the one who provides the ending. He had already said the perfect things to end the film in 2015 but I felt he should also be seen once more.

Reminds me of the Expanse 🧐🤔

Thomas seems to have been a Phoenix in a previous life! 

41 minutes ago, Enaira said:

Just saw that you've been working with and about Moebius!! Congratulations about the win!

And Jodorowski!!!

Oh thank you. Yes the Moebius doc was important to me.

Jodorowsky, yes, I worked with him on three projects and he forgot me every time - he sure doesn't remember me now! 

50 minutes ago, Geoff said:

From Luke Goss instagram. 

27879101_457520737996581_3969790507361501184_n.jpg

I'm so sorry - just can't get past him being one of Bros and prancing about in baggy jeans and a biker jacket!

19 minutes ago, Hasko Baumann said:

Jodorowsky, yes, I worked with him on three projects and he forgot me every time - he sure doesn't remember me now! 

Ok so he's not gifted with recognizing faces. Not everybody has soft skills. To put it mildly.

Hasko, thank you a lot for your time and the long and so interesting answers! It was awesome, like a little unexpected Q&A (we love Q&As here on the forum). It's Xmas today it seems.

It would be fantastic to speak with you again after everybody has seen the doc. My bet is, we'll have plenty of questions to throw at you.

Thanks! 

44 minutes ago, Hasko Baumann said:

Oh stupid me, the trailer is up there first page 😄 Sorry

RE Filming style: Yes we decided to use a lot of slo-mo, backlight and low angles; we really wanted to give it this 'grandiose' kind of feeling. For one, I wanted to represent the actors accordingly and not just show them in interview settings, but make it understandable how they work with the camera and how the camera works with them, and as the film is also about how these icons are being artificially created, the camera is of course an important part of the process. 

I wanted it to feel very artificial, there are not many 'reportage' parts so you don't see anyone buying a pint of milk 🙂 In the Arte version there is the storyline of an actor in Hollywood who is going through the whole process, the physical and acting training that is part of the creation, so those parts are filmed 'classic' documentary style, breathing camera, following the action. 

RE Thomas' appearance: During edting, it was so obvious that he was THE guy in the film who would be commenting on many aspects of it so I really felt that he would have to reappear and be the one who provides the ending. He had already said the perfect things to end the film in 2015 but I felt he should also be seen once more.So I sent him the trailer, he was happy with it and said, come on over. As I had a few days left to film in LA again anyway, it was perfect. He looked totally different, with a beard and longer hair, but barefoot as always 🙂 I can only say that he is a very generous, gracious man; there is no sense of hurry and he is completely easy going. Also, when we filmed him for the closing images he knew rightaway what we were going for. He just felt it. He is a super pro. And also super nice. And super smart.

And in one post you confirm everything we hope we already know about Thomas - the man is a legend.  You are clearly also a great storyteller Hasko, thanks for sharing!

Thank you all for your kind words!

Even if you don't enjoy the film as a whole, I can promise you that you will enjoy Thomas' appearances. He is truly amazing in it!

You’re very welcome Hasko - will you be sticking around here?  There really is so much more going on than just Thomas-based chat! 🙂

On 8/9/2019 at 5:38 PM, Gail said:

I'm so sorry - just can't get past him being one of Bros and prancing about in baggy jeans and a biker jacket!

Have you not seen him in Hellboy and Blade? He's brilliant! 

30 minutes ago, The Goktor said:

Have you not seen him in Hellboy and Blade? He's brilliant! 

Yep, seen them - still can’t get the well dodgy boy band image out of my head, not saying he’s not a good actor just, well, you know..............

On 7/2/2019 at 8:20 PM, Gail said:

Must be difficult to know the right call - I mean, we're a similar age so I was brought up with the same male role models on screen, i.e., men's men, but these days men are expected to behave in a very different way.  May be controversial but I think the rise of feminism spelled the demise of 'real men', I have no problem with men being sensitive but give me Harrison Ford (or indeed TJ) over, say, Hugh Grant, any day of the week!  I don't know how old your girls are but I don't envy you raising them in this era, guess you and Thomas have something in common there.  Looking forward to hearing the views of these guys, or should I say Real Men!

It's a curious one, isn't it? I mean we see these men on screen, being all heroic and the like, and are often attracted to those characters (damn you, biological imperative!) but would we really want to be with guys who were like that in real life? No, thank you!

A 'real man' (and I have to say that I care for that term as much as I like 'real woman') to me is someone who's comfortable with being gentle and thoughtful, who can hold an intelligent conversation with me, who does his share of the housework, and who treats me as an absolute equal. I don't need him to fight my battles for me, I don't want him to spend money on me, I don't need 'looking after'. A 'real man' would know this because he'd do me the courtesy of actually getting to know me!

I don't think that feminism has spelled the demise of the 'real man' but I do believe it's served to educate out certain kinds of arseholey behaviour patterns!

On 7/2/2019 at 9:20 PM, Enaira said:

I'm relieved. Apparently we take turns at being deep 😉

Oh boy (or should I say oh girl?) I'm happy we don't speak about "real women" here 'cause I would be under a lot of pressure...

You and me both, Ariane! I've always been fiercely independent (left home at 15, and lied about my age to get a job and somewhere to live); I run two businesses, and I work on average, around 14-16 hours a day - I don't have the time, nor the inclination, to be with someone who would expect me to be some kind 1950's housewife! 

14 minutes ago, Gail said:

Yep, seen them - still can’t get the well dodgy boy band image out of my head, not saying he’s not a good actor just, well, you know..............

Fortunately, I'm of an age to have never been scarred by boy bands! 

Anyway, back on topic - this looks like a cool docu, and I'm looking forward to watching it. I think it could be very interesting to hear the points of view from the real men behind the 'real men' we see on screen.

Oh, and hai, Hasko - I've enjoyed reading your insights, thank you for sharing with us! 🥰

Yes this topic is hot hot hot, it is such a subjective matter. If you ask a man and a woman what a real man is, the answer will be different. It depends also on the age, the cultural background, the experience that one had in life. I think (if I understand well), Hasko had to put some limits to the topic otherwise he would still be working on it 😉 so here the limit is "real men" as shown from the Hollywood movie industry and its impact on us viewers... ? Right?

If I understood the topic correctly, then yes I'm with Gail: I enjoy more watching TJ than Hugh Grant.

Hasko I do have a question concerning the doc to be shown on Arte. Is there a off voice speaking selectively either in French or in German? Or did you work without off commentaries? My guess is that we'll have subtitles during the interviews? In case there's an off voice: did you edit an English version? Sorry if it's silly.

1 hour ago, Enaira said:

If I understood the topic correctly, then yes I'm with Gail: I enjoy more watching TJ than Hugh Grant.

In fairness though, in any scenario or topic, watching TJ is likely to be a better bet than watching HG (unless it's Love Actually, of course)! 😋

3 hours ago, Enaira said:

Yes this topic is hot hot hot, it is such a subjective matter. If you ask a man and a woman what a real man is, the answer will be different. It depends also on the age, the cultural background, the experience that one had in life. I think (if I understand well), Hasko had to put some limits to the topic otherwise he would still be working on it 😉 so here the limit is "real men" as shown from the Hollywood movie industry and its impact on us viewers... ? Right?

Very astute observation Ariane, age and background/upbringing will definitely have a bearing on your point of view but I do understand that the documentary is solely based around the premise of real men in Hollywood which I guess will be quite different to what we encounter in our daily lives.  

2 hours ago, The Goktor said:

In fairness though, in any scenario or topic, watching TJ is likely to be a better bet than watching HG (unless it's Love Actually, of course)! 😋

'Likely' to be a better bet???  TJ all the way, Hugh Grant and his foppish ilk aren't fit to lace TJ's boots IMHO!  Anyone who can do heartbreakingly tender without saying a word (see 'The Butler's in Love') is good enough for me!

12 hours ago, Enaira said:

Hasko I do have a question concerning the doc to be shown on Arte. Is there a off voice speaking selectively either in French or in German? Or did you work without off commentaries? My guess is that we'll have subtitles during the interviews? In case there's an off voice: did you edit an English version? Sorry if it's silly.

Let's say I wanted to approach a general issue by using a specific angle - an angle that I am familiar with. I sincerely believe that many of the attributes society associates with "manliness" are still universally accepted and many of them were presented in the movies. Also, I wanted to look at it from a man's perspective; meaning I also invited men with different cultural backgrounds, gay and straight, and asked them about their role models from the time they were growing up - and there were many similar answers. I have never heard the name 'Rocky' as often as in the course of making this film! 

Anyway, ever since #metoo people realized that those clichés are problematic. Of course I try to adress that and ask, where does that leave those kinds of characters - and actors?

As for the language: Yes, unfortunately there is voiceover throughout in the Arte version. They did manage to book the guy who dubs Thomas in his movies for the interviews so that's kinda cool. 😄 

And yes, there is also commentary. I like it better without so the international version that was shown at SDCC is clear of all that, no commentary and the German parts are subtitled. 

11 hours ago, Gail said:

Very astute observation Ariane, age and background/upbringing will definitely have a bearing on your point of view but I do understand that the documentary is solely based around the premise of real men in Hollywood which I guess will be quite different to what we encounter in our daily lives.  

One's culture is definitely a contributing factor in shaping our views and assumptions regarding the norm. Also, do males feel under pressure to conform to certain archetypes, as portrayed by movies, in the same way as females (not me!), vis-à-vis magazine images, Instagram posts, etc. etc. And is it more socially acceptable for movies to promote 'real' masculinity than for the way they promote femininity? 

Hoping that at least some of these questions will be answered by the documentary!

11 hours ago, Gail said:

'Likely' to be a better bet???  TJ all the way, Hugh Grant and his foppish ilk aren't fit to lace TJ's boots IMHO!  Anyone who can do heartbreakingly tender without saying a word (see 'The Butler's in Love') is good enough for me!

I wouldn't go that far - HG comes across as being quite sweet (no disrespect to Tom's boots). As you say, it's all about culture though, and Hugh's characters are generally far closer to my reality than any of Tom's. I don't see that as a bad thing! Since I don't know either Hugh or Tom in person, I am only talking about their screen alter egos, of course; for all I know, Hugh could be an all-action hero in real life, kicking the crap out of local ne'er do wells, while Tom prefers to stay at home, knitting and reading Mills & Boon! 

😂 😂😂

I haven't seen The Butler's in Love, in fact, I've never heard of it (thanks for the heads-up!) but Miller's death scene gets me every time I watch it. It is without doubt, one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I might even go as far as to say that it's on a par with Roy Batty's. 

2 hours ago, Hasko Baumann said:

Let's say I wanted to approach a general issue by using a specific angle - an angle that I am familiar with. I sincerely believe that many of the attributes society associates with "manliness" are still universally accepted and many of them were presented in the movies. Also, I wanted to look at it from a man's perspective; meaning I also invited men with different cultural backgrounds, gay and straight, and asked them about their role models from the time they were growing up - and there were many similar answers. I have never heard the name 'Rocky' as often as in the course of making this film! 

It's really interesting that so many said Rocky. My first reaction was one of "Oh, the boxer" but of course, Rocky is so much more than a film about boxing!

3 hours ago, Hasko Baumann said:

Anyway, ever since #metoo people realized that those clichés are problematic. Of course I try to adress that and ask, where does that leave those kinds of characters - and actors?

I have no idea - audiences want what they want, and movies have to put bums on seats... but do they have a certain amount of social responsibility too? As I said earlier, I'm really looking forward to watching your docu, and gaining some insight. 🙏 I'll wait for a non-dubbed version though!

20 minutes ago, The Goktor said:

for all I know, Hugh could be an all-action hero in real life, kicking the crap out of local ne'er do wells, while Tom prefers to stay at home, knitting and reading Mills & Boon! 

😂 😂😂

Funny vision, but yes why not!

I try to always be cautious with my choice of words. I am amazed by Tom's work and I would say I admire all his projects until now. But I absolutely wouldn't say I like or love him. Very simply because he's a complete stranger and I have no clue how he's like in private.

If he's knitting some socks for Cat at home and show us the result, I would for sure go 👍🏻😉

11 minutes ago, The Goktor said:

I'm really looking forward to watching your docu, and gaining some insight. 🙏 I'll wait for a non-dubbed version though!

This might be a problem to the "me burning DVD from Arte" idea... let's try to get/buy it on DVD!

I have never watched Rocky 🙀😳 should I? 

32 minutes ago, The Goktor said:

Miller's death scene gets me every time I watch it. It is without doubt, one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I might even go as far as to say that it's on a par with Roy Batty's. 

Don't get me started with Miller. It's how I got hooked up to Tom's work 😉 I read some hundreds of comments on Reddit, Twitter and Insta. Not a single one was negative about his portrayal of Miller and most of them were blown away just like us...

1 minute ago, Enaira said:

I try to always be cautious with my choice of words. I am amazed by Tom's work and I would say I admire all his projects until now. But I absolutely wouldn't say I like or love him. Very simply because he's a complete stranger and I have no clue how he's like in private.

I agree (although I've not seen T's entire body of work); I may say, "Oh, I looove that person" when being enthusiastic but what I really mean is I like the work they do! This was borne out a few years back when I was approached to do some PR for an Australian actress (not a very well-known one outside genre). She played a character I was hugely fond of but she turned out to be not a very nice person. I didn't take the job! 

1 minute ago, Enaira said:

Funny vision, but yes why not!

If he's knitting some socks for Cat at home and show us the result, I would for sure go 👍🏻 😉

As a knitter of socks myself, I'm kind of holding out for this scenario! (Yeah, I'm sooo rock 'n' roll!)

12 minutes ago, Enaira said:

This might be a problem to the "me burning DVD from Arte" idea... let's try to get/buy it on DVD!

I have never watched Rocky 🙀😳 should I? 

I'd still have to wait for an Eng-lang digital download as I don't have a DVD player or an optical drive on my laptop. Because I'm so 21st century! Ha ha! Maybe it'll be released on iTunes or Amazon Prime.

Rocky, as I recall from my teens, was a good film. I've never been a fan of boxing (if I'm honest, I find it horrible) but I saw it at a film festival when I was about 14, and enjoyed it. Not the punching stuff but the human story. And the ending was cool. I haven't seen any of the others, which are legion. Or so it seems. Another cool thing is that it was a pretty low budget film, which smashed the box office - life imitating art! 

Should you watch it? Why not!