Geoff

TJ TOP 3

OK Gang, here's one for you all................

What is your Top 3 Thomas Jane performances..............?

This doesn't have to be your fav TJ film more so what you think that he has been the best he can be in. You don't have to share your reasons if you don't want too its just about what performances from Tom really stood out Its not about anyone challenging your choices here either just fans opinions.......I've been thinking about mine and im going to have to go with the following (Not in any order)

61* - For me TJ in this is how I would see Micky actually being. I know he worked hard on this one and I feel it really shows in the genuine nature of the performance

I Melt With You - This film and TJ's performance in it actually had me thinking for days after seeing it. Dark, disturbing but also as raw as I have seen him deliver a performance

Stander - Everything here was bang on from accent, style, walk everything from what I have seen of the real Andre.

3? Just 3? Thanks for making this difficult, Geoff. Y’know we have so many favorites of Tom’s. But I do think it’s nice to narrow down the best of the best.

You made excellent selections. Here are mine: (BEWARE: SOME SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD)

3. THE PUNISHER - Too obvious? Maybe. A movie that even none-TJane fans would know? Sure. But, as I mention often, this movie is my Thomas Jane introduction. It’s my Thomas Jane essential. It’s because of this movie that I became aware of Tom and more aware of Frank Castle and joined RAW to meet all of you lovely guys/gals. And Tom Jane is Frank Castle. Not in real life, no. But on-screen, he is Frank Castle aka The Punisher. And no movie critic nor naysayer will ever make me think differently. They can remake this comic book character many, many times, and I will always think of Tom as Frank first, even if he didn’t play the first Frank.

And if you think of comic book movie acting in general, Tom’s performance is the best performance. Think about it. Think about it hard. With the role, he’s so quiet and subtle. His pain of losing loved ones is deep and tragic. You feel his pain and his numbness to it. He says more by not saying much. And I left the theater wondering, “Who is THAT guy?” After all of these years, I still don’t really know.

2. DARK COUNTRY - Okay, my next choice happens to be a movie directed by Tom, which probably gave it a boost to make my list. While other directors tell Tom how to say a certain line or hold a certain pause longer here and there, in this movie, Tom delivered the characters the way he wanted, the way he interpreted them. Plus, I think Tom demonstrated so much range between playing Dick and Bloodyface. You get to see light & dark sides of both. Dick goes from loving to fearful to mistrustful to terrified for his life. He’s yelling, he’s getting angry/upset, and it just feels attention-grabbing and significant. And then, there’s Bloodyface who is scared and sinister and cocky all during one quick drive. With this one, Tom altered more than just his physical appearance. He made one character feel like different people, and I think that’s remarkable.

1. STANDER - It’s my favorite Thomas Jane film of all-time, and one of my favorite films ever. I just love seeing Tom wearing all of those disguises. The wigs & prosthetics -- I love it! I love it! I can’t get enough of it! So the part of Andre gives us a chance to see Tom playing a real man who was playing a part. So he’s acting inside his own performance. And as Andre, Tom gets to demonstrate his intelligent & funny & charismatic sides, as well as, dramatic and heartbreaking. It’s just such a strong role for him. And yes, that accent is incredible. I wish Tom would do more accents. There are just so many reasons why I watch this film over & over, again and they all come down to seeing and feeling Tom own it all.

So, that’s my list, everyone. What’s yours?

Guest AdminGuyX

#1 HUNG I thought it was a very smart and funny show that let TJ take some risks.

#2 THURSDAY First film I ever saw him in. Still a favorite. I can't believe the film is almost 20 years old.

#3 STANDER Just a damn good crime film, and TJ anchors the story and makes it look easy. It ain't.

3. I Melt With You I love this film, and you really get the feel that Tom just went all in for this part. In fact, after the initial spotting of Tom in this film, all I saw was Richard. You can just see it and feel it. Tom had left and Richard took over. Just great acting all around in that film.

2. Hung Noeland sums it up. Tom really gets to do it all in this. Sadly, that's part of why it failed on HBO. People just did not get life if funny/sad/depressing/joyfull all at once. This show really embraced life at its best and worst.

1. Stander Once again, I did not see Tom in this, just Stander. The accent was spot on, the acting just amazing. It's still one of my favorites to this day. I hope we see Tom get more roles like this.

Great selections, Noeland & John!! HUNG did allow Tom to explore a role episodically. & for some reason, I think that if the show started now, it'd have a better chance of making it. Not sure why I feel that way.

& it's interesting to see how, so far, we've all picked STANDER. :D It definitely deserves high praise & top ranking.

Good choices guys, cant believe I missed Hung, what a plonker.......Geddit :lol:

It seems Noeland and I seem to be on the same page...

1. STANDER

2. THURSDAY

3 HUNG

...on a whole BUT as one of his best performances I would have to say is him playing Todd Parker in BOOGIE NIGHTS and oh oh one more...the ending of THE MIST was incredible!

I really do hope he has some GOOD quality roles coming up....miss him in those kind of roles :)

Okay chaps and chapesses - I think it's high time we had an update here since TJ has a few more roles under his belt now.  If Grand Master Woodman will agree, can we extend it to top 5?  I was just thinking that since The Expanse will likely figure on everyone's list it only gives another two spots and that would be too brutal!  Over to you for a ruling Geoff - if you're sticking at top 3, them's the rules!!

Good idea! But I've not watched everything yet. Dreamcatcher and The Veil will never land in my player but 1922 and The Mist... I need to see them! 

But I'll play now, with a possible update later on. 

1/ The Expanse

2/ Dark Country 

3/ The velocity of Gary* (not his real name)

4/ Deep Blue Sea

5/ Hung, especially Season 1

Aaaaahhh Malone! How could I? 

Malone takes place 3, Hung is out 😪

That can't be right. This game is not funny 🤨😖

We need to extend to top 7!

Oh Ariane - it might be sleep deprivation but you actually just made me snort with laughter 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

Love it!

Big G has the final word on the size of the list, so I await his decision......

Just snort ?

🧐😉

Oh you meant snore... you should go to sleep now 😉

Just read this again - still giggling! 😂😂

And I just noticed that the Boogie Nights DVD is waiting at home so there's room for Top 9 if I add BN, 1922, The Mist and Hung...

My list is easy....

1. The Expanse

2. The Expanse

3. The Expanse

4. The Expanse

5. The Expanse

🙈 and I forgot 61*... also an amazing performance! Then DBS drops out! Bouh!!

Or, for variety...

1. The Expanse

2. 1922

3. The Punisher

4. The Predator

5. Mutant Chronicles

6. Hung (which was so much better than I was expecting!)

I admit, I am not actually familiar with most of Tom's work. Some just doesn't appeal, TBH!

It's an interesting exercise, I purposefully left out Punisher, Predator and MC. The movies were fun but not overwhelming to me.

I thought similarly to you at first but tried out 61* for instance, knowing nothing about baseball. And it's really interesting and thrilling.

Gary really is a movie I would recommend as well. It may be controversial or little appealing for a lot of people "outside", but what I've read so far on this forum shows the required interest and openness. So you might enjoy it. 

Okay, I suppose I ought to share since I picked this up again! So, in no particular order:

1. The Expanse (obvs!)

2. 1922

3. Dirty Laundry (I know it’s a short one but I love it!)

And if Big G agrees to the extension I have a couple more to add 😊

4 hours ago, Enaira said:

It's an interesting exercise, I purposefully left out Punisher, Predator and MC. The movies were fun but not overwhelming to me.

I thought similarly to you at first but tried out 61* for instance, knowing nothing about baseball. And it's really interesting and thrilling.

Gary really is a movie I would recommend as well. It may be controversial or little appealing for a lot of people "outside", but what I've read so far on this forum shows the required interest and openness. So you might enjoy it. 

Thanks for the recommendation of Gary, Ariane - I'll see if I can find it.

The reasons for my list are:

1. The Expanse;Tom brought Miller to life so perfectly, I couldn't imagine anyone else in the role. 
  2. 1922; where do I begin? The film is a monumentally tragic, yet at the same time, beautiful study of desperation. I honestly still don't know whether Tom's character was haunted by guilt or by an actual spectre. One minute I'm sure it's one, the next, the other. A stellar performance!
  3. The Punisher: as Rosella said, Tom really was Frank Castle. It was the first time I left the cinema feeling that a Marvel character had been properly cast!

The others...

The Predator; so much fun! I was expecting it to be cheesy as heck - and it was but in a good way. I really got the impression that everyone was having so much fun with it, and not taking themselves or the film too seriously. Also, I actually had no idea Tom was in this, and when I first saw him, I sort of screeched; "OMG it's Miller!", and had a very big happy! For an hour and a bit, anyway.

Mutant Chronicles; regarding the film itself, I love the comic book, dieselpunk style - it's visually so cool. I appreciate that for some folks, it may come across as being a bit hammy but it's a film based on an RPG (ooh, I wonder what else we can say that about?! LOL!), so I have no problem with that at all. What really struck me however, was the ability of the actors, Tom in particular, especially toward the end, to give convincing performances against green screens and with stand-in props. Kudos to anyone who can do that but when you watch the BTS footage, you really get a sense of what a good job they all do. I was super-impressed with Tom's performance on the Machine - I really got a sense of how horrifying that kind of thing might be. 

Hung; OK, time for an admission here - the premise really didn't appeal to me at all, plus, I'm not into US comedy shows (apart from South Park and Northern Exposure), so I wasn't sure I'd like it. But I was prepared to give it a go, purely on the strength of you lot raving about it!

As it turned out, I thought the humorous element pretty well done, without it being in-your-face belly laughs. I wasn't expecting a comedy drama (comerama? Dramady? Ha ha!). Tom's performance (if you'll forgive the pun) though... I mean, just how do you do that? Were body doubles involved? Did Tom really get his entire kit off? The actual sex scenes were... pretty convincing.

Among the many jobs I've had in my time, fetish model was one; I had no problem getting nekkid in front of a lone photographer, or even a 'tog and an assistant, but I'm pretty sure I'd balk at the idea of getting my jigglies out in front of a film crew, even on a closed set. The fact that Tom pulled it off with such aplomb, is testament to his professionalism. (Unless he's an exhibitionist, of course, and enjoys that kind of thing!)

lol, The idea behind having a top 3 was to make it quite a painful set of decisions. 

So does your top 3 still stand or have you reconsidered?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.