Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

Clive Barker's Age Of Desire

Back in 1993 I was a relative newcomer to comics.

I broke into the field with Timothy Truman, inking "Dragon Chiang", then did some inking over Graham Nolan on "Hawkworld", and through them I was introduced to the powers that be at Eclipse Comics. I did a few covers for them (they gave me my first break doing covers with "The Retaliator") and lo and behold, one day back in 1992 I got a call. A very exciting call. Eclipse wanted to know if I was interested in doing a graphic novel based on a Clive Barker story called "Age Of Desire". "Age" was adapted by P. Crag Russell, one of my favorite comic illustrators. Craig's "Killraven", and "Elric" were legendary to me. I was blown away by the opportunity and quickly said YES.

I don't want to tell the whole story of how it took 15 years for this project to see the light of day. Not here anyway.

To get the full lowdown from both me and Craig I highly recommend that you buy the book. I believe it comes out in April and I will report back here as soon as I have a solid release date.

Age Of Desire will be presented "warts and all". This is the work of a fledgling artist trying to break into the business.

It's old work and certainly not my best. But it's damn good for a young man in his early 20's. For years since I got my hands back on the original art (it was lost for 7 years) I'd wanted to redraw certain sequences and panels to make the whole thing as good as it could be.

But the truth is that I'm so busy I don't know when I'd ever get around to it.

I was approached a few years ago by my old friend Joe Pruett who was starting up a little comic company called "Desperado".

Joe wanted to publish Age Of Desire for Craig and I. We started down the path but I was called away to Milan to work on a film for 7 months which left the project somewhat derailed. Being the tenacious fellow that Joe is, he didn't give up, and the result is that finally we are going to release it to the public. It will be black and white with very minimal retouches and a new cover. Not sure what it will retail for.

Will keep you posted on that information.

One thing is for sure, the book was thumbnailed by Craig, and Craig tells a hell of a story. He made me look better than I might have without his roughs. It has the feel of Craig Russell and the look of Tim Bradstreet. I think we made a great team.

Here is a look at the ad art I worked up for this. Please keep your eyes open to this project and help support it. Please help spread the word.

Ageadgraphicsfinal.jpg

Thanks - TB

Here is the solicitation text from Desperado's homepage -

CLIVE BARKER'S

AGE OF DESIRE

Story by - Clive Barker

Adapted by - P. Craig Russell

Illustrated by - Tim Bradstreet

Three great talents combine to bring a unique vision of murder and desire.

First time in print! Clive Barker's dark vision of the last days of a genetically altered and homicidally ecstatic sexual compulsive. Over 15 years in the making, this is the notorious adaptation by P. Craig Russell and Timothy Bradstreet that went missing for over a decade! Recently revised with its original ending restored!

64 page hardcover, b-w, $14.99

http://www.desperadopublishing.com/

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I feel kind of stupid. Totally missed this when I posted in the new art book thread!

I'm incredibly excited to see this book for sale!

I feel kind of stupid. Totally missed this when I posted in the new art book thread!

I'm incredibly excited to see this book for sale!

Thanks Noeland - Been a loooooooong time comin'.

- TB

It comes out when I finish it. ;)

I've been getting my ass kicked by multiple deadlines and the thing that keeps getting bounced is Age.

Why? Cause it's already late by 16 years ;)

I try and tell folks, NEVER solicit a book until it's done (at least in the independent world). Then you won't have to deal with late shipping!

I think Joe wanted to solicit this in an attempt to motivate me into finishing it.

At the time it sounded like a decent plan. Then I got deluged.

There is a reason behind my pecking order.

I'll have it done in the next 4-5 weeks sometime and it will make it out this summer to be sure.

Just hang tight and thank you for your patience.

- TB

Just hang tight and thank you for your patience.

- TB

No sir. Thank you for giving us the oppurtunity to be patient.

sveinx

Don't normally do this kind of thing, but I REALLY want to see this project do well. I was lucky enough to see most of the pages from Age of Desire years ago and it made a HUGE impact on me. It's just beautiful work, and even though I know it's old stuff for Tim (warts and all as he says), for the rest of us Bradstreet fans this thing is just a goddamn gem of a book. This and the Kevin Nowlan Man-Thing graphic novel are the two best comic projects never seen, and it's TOTALLY worth waiting a couple more months for. Just the fact that I will finally be able to have a copy of this makes me totally fan-boy out.

There. Now SERIOUSLY..... BUY this when it comes out. Comic book art and storytelling at their best.

Guest AdminGuyX

Welcome to the boards. You say you don't normally do this kind of thing, but I hope you make it a habit here. I'd love to see you stick around.

:)

I remember the first time I heard about this book, and saw some of the artwork. It was one of those moments where I veruca'd "I want it NOW"!!

That feeling hasn't changed, but I can certainly wait a little longer to get the book. :)

Njc-------------

Just the fact that I will finally be able to have a copy of this makes me totally fan-boy out.

There. Now SERIOUSLY..... BUY this when it comes out. Comic book art and storytelling at their best.

Already ordered it at my local comic shop.

Now to totally threadjack. Speaking of fan-boys. Brian Stelfreeze was in town this weekend (for a wedding we were both groomsmen in), and we went to Mark Hay's shop to pickup a page I bought. He showed us some of your recent covers, and Brian was just about speechless after seeing one of your Hellblazer covers (the one with the tattoo going up the side of a girl). He was talking about that cover all weekend. I think it inspired him.

Ok, I guess it's not a total threadjack, since Mark is Tim's agent too.

G.

Thanks a ton Lee.

I almost feel like I gotta get this thing finished up especially for you ;)

Thankfully you've already seen the "warts and all" pages and you're still excited ;)

Just a few more weeks and I'll have it shipped out of here so the wait is almost over.

As for Stelfreeze trippin' out over your work, it's no wonder.

Brian's a smart fella and he knows the real thing when he sees it.

And that's you Lee; the real deal.

xoxo - TB

PS - Gambit! Glad you stopped by. Don't be a stranger compadre.

Holy crap...

Clive Barker and Tim Bradstreet?

I had no idea such a collaboration even existed until I happened to browse this thread!

I think I'll have to place and order with my retailer come Monday, I can't wait to read this!

Holy crap...

Clive Barker and Tim Bradstreet?

I had no idea such a collaboration even existed until I happened to browse this thread!

I think I'll have to place and order with my retailer come Monday, I can't wait to read this!

Cheers sage - Hopefully you have garnered from the thread that this was work done in the EARLY 90's, it's me still getting the hang of things.

This one will be like a time capsule. But we're just glad to have it finally see print ;)

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

How's it feel to be finally releasing this thing Tim?

Oh, maybe that should be a podcast question . . .

Yeah, ask about that on the questions for Tim thread thingy.

I just finished the last little bit of stuff up and got the fucking thing done after 17 years.

I CANNOT believe it's been that long.

Just popped the new cover over to Grant for some color work on a figure.

I'm writing a short essay for the book that details, well, not in horrible living color, OK I'm writing a short cliff notes version of the journey.

We'll add a few pieces of art to the 'extra" section and hopefully we'll be showing off some of Craig Russell's original pages.

Stuff he did before he was so rudely asked to step aside and hand the art chores over to someone else.

Well, you'll all learn a lot more about that when you listen to the next podcast, or you buy the book and read about the SHOCKING TRUE EVENTS as they actually happened ;)

- TB

Age went off to the printers last week so it should be popping up at your local retailer soon.

The very moment I have a solid street date I will apprise.

Here's a look at the cover - Main figure and inset vignette colors by Grant Goleash.

AgecoverF1.jpg

I'm proud to say that this adaptation restores the original P. Craig Russell ending that Eclipse had originally intended on dumping.

They wanted to dumb it down so 6th graders could understand it better ;)

Thankfully Craig took the time to oversee the final results.

We're also going to get a delicious dose of some of Craig's original rejected pages in this volume.

Also, as reported earlier both Craig and I wrote up some text chronicling the long, long journey.

You won't want to miss this.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I still don't believe this sucker is getting printed.

Glad to know the proper ending is in place too.

Did an interview with ENGINE COMICS UK a few weeks ago and they did a tremendous job with the article.

Not sure when it hits stands but as I understand it the interview is slated for their January issue.

Don't even have a link for where you can get the mag but I'll track that down.

Still don't know what the release date is for Age.

Joe (my publisher) told me a few weeks ago that it would be out before the end of the year, which would be New Years Eve Day.

Or it could be the following week. But soon either way.

Here's a taste of that interview. I'll post this in full when their issue comes out.

The art here is from my opening two-page spread from Age Of Desire . . . minus the text.

Ageint.jpg

More news soon.

- TB

So - Age of Desire has finally been released and I was shocked that it was a small format. I was hoping that it would be the size of a regular TPB or even bigger to showcase the beautiful black and white artwork. I am happy to finally have it but I am disappointed in the size and page count - 64 pages for $14.95?!!! Yes- I know its a hardcover but I think the publisher dropped the ball on this.