johnpweber

New Site

Thanks for trying John but both are off center -- it's too bad :(

99 Designs is a RAW DEAL for graphic designers. Lots of people end up doing work and not getting paid. I guess people choose the cheapest option when looking for a logo, but "design contests" put designers and firms out of business. If your budget is limited, just put some time in and find a good designer / firm and make an offer. You still get to "choose" by looking at the quality of their previous work. That way, if people are doing work for you they will be compensated.

Here's an article about how design contests depress wages and hurt the economy: http://www.huffingto..._n_1007868.html

I didn’t realize design contests sparked controversy among professionals.

Personally, I always look at contests as a more open opportunity for many people to get involved. If creativity is key, I don’t think it’s a waste of time for participants. It’s just more practice for them.

Phew!,,I'm back something wierd happened when the new site went live and I got all kinds of bumped off!...yup new site is cool!..

When the new site went up, I had some issues with it myself. I still can’t view the new site in Google Chrome. Can anyone? :huh:

No, it's not just you. I know it's not as cool as looking at it on the new site, but if you are spending a lot of time here and find it bothersome, the direct link to the old page is: http://rawstudios.invisionzone.com/

Thanks, John! I was wondering how to get it back to being more full screen. It’s not that I’m too bothered by the updated forum, but it just seems like more scrolling is involved.

Thanks for trying John but both are off center -- it's too bad :(

Maybe my eyes don’t remember what centered on here looks like, but I think it looks okay. I noticed sometimes the text does strange things, though.

Seems like everything is running swiftly as I run through the new site.

So ladies and gents 2 things:

1. Happy Fackin' New Year!

2. If you have not shopped around in the Raw store, you certainly have to. The second I saw the Dirty Laundry t-shirts for sale, I ordered two of them. Lets shop and support our RAW family here! Gotta love the beautiful art and ideas that Tim, Tom, and crew have to offer.

-Raf

Phew!,,I'm back something wierd happened when the new site went live and I got all kinds of bumped off!...yup new site is cool!..

'bumped off'? what does that mean? i'm guessing you weren't murdered by the Raw Mafia, cause we don't do that kind of thing (yet) -- but please let us know if there's any weirdness going on with the new site (and forums.)

we have a few days to make fixes and iron stuff out, so use this section to let us know what's up! we'll do everything we can to make it a better experience! --the management

99 Designs is a RAW DEAL for graphic designers. Lots of people end up doing work and not getting paid. I guess people choose the cheapest option when looking for a logo, but "design contests" put designers and firms out of business. If your budget is limited, just put some time in and find a good designer / firm and make an offer. You still get to "choose" by looking at the quality of their previous work. That way, if people are doing work for you they will be compensated.

Here's an article about how design contests depress wages and hurt the economy: http://www.huffingto..._n_1007868.html

okay wow. like The Huff & Obama, Raw was not aware of the hubbub over #nospec and all that implies. first, THANKS, mangoTango for bringing this up. otherwise, we'd have gone marching into mucky water without our boots on!

damn, this is sticky business. but our boots are now on!

Weber is right - we do have our own design guys here at Raw, freelance guys all of them, who mostly make a buck, just like MangoTango sez, off of the small business.

but, like Weber points out, the contest is a way that our publicity dept came up with to reach out to fans and have some fun. do we NEED a new logo? eh. well. okay no not really.

truth is, times are tough all over, especially for professional artists. freelance artists always get hit hard during hard times. like mangoTango says, every job counts for these guys.

i know that for a fact - i am one. i get paid to do art. sometimes. the truth is, i am an artist. and i will do 'art' whether i am paid or not. some people might try to 'take advantage' of that, and ask me to 'work' for free.

but the true truth is, in the words of Robert Duvall, i do 'one for the art, and one for the condo.' sometimes two for the condo. sometimes two for the art. etc etc.

but the REAL truth is: i don't get paid to do art. i do art for free, because i love it. ART is fun. for me, there's nothing i like better in this world. and that includes Cuban cigars. i get paid, to put up with YOU, the guy paying me, while i am doing art.

if i like you, or i like your project/idea/what you stand for/etc, i might, just maybe, do art for you for free. or for a box of Cuban cigars.

So - contest? why not. if you like me, you might throw some art my way. i might use it. lots of people might see it. if you were passionate about what you created, then lots of people might want to know 'who is that artist that made that passionately cool art?'

and then some one else might want to pay you to do art for them.

it's funny - the movie i do for the art, for the love of it, is the one that usually gets me hired by the guy that wants to pay for my 'condo.'

ART on one hand -- COMMERCE on the other. let the games begin!

Okay I have a question and I hope you don't think I am an airhead. But if I buy something can I use a credit card or not.

Well,It did'nt want to accept my password "not ruling out human error :P " So I had to get a new password "not a biggie" and for the first few days I could'nt bring the sight up at all.but it's been all gravy since then..Have no issues at all now.. :D..

Well,It did'nt want to accept my password "not ruling out human error :P " So I had to get a new password "not a biggie" and for the first few days I could'nt bring the sight up at all.but it's been all gravy since then..Have no issues at all now.. :D..

Yeah I had a few problems to. But to me it is like buying a new car that is the first year made. You have to work all the bugs out of it. :rolleyes:

Everything is working fine now...yeppi ki yay...

Happen to be needing one... got a new colossal screen monitor yesterday and thanks to John still fixed on the old forum.

I find with having this new monitor it's not off center anymore... go figure?

I can now see all of you clearly in an exorbitant kind of way --

Happy New Year Raffi :)

And gonna check me out some sexy DL tee's!

Seems like everything is running swiftly as I run through the new site.

So ladies and gents 2 things:

1. Happy Fackin' New Year!

2. If you have not shopped around in the Raw store, you certainly have to. The second I saw the Dirty Laundry t-shirts for sale, I ordered two of them. Lets shop and support our RAW family here! Gotta love the beautiful art and ideas that Tim, Tom, and crew have to offer.

-Raf

Happy New Year, Raffi!

I really want to buy a Dark Country GN. What types of payment are accepted in the store?

'bumped off'? what does that mean? i'm guessing you weren't murdered by the Raw Mafia, cause we don't do that kind of thing (yet) -- but please let us know if there's any weirdness going on with the new site (and forums.)

we have a few days to make fixes and iron stuff out, so use this section to let us know what's up! we'll do everything we can to make it a better experience! --the management

Since the new site went up, there’s been a couple times (including today) that I couldn’t log in properly. After failed attempts, I went to View New Content, which I know is for members only. It said I needed to log in first. I clicked the log in link on that page & typed in my username/password, and it worked. I’ve had to do this workaround twice so far.

The text still does weird things from time to time. The letters get bigger/smaller, blurry, cut-off, & difficult to read. Then, it’s okay. Then, it isn’t. Back-and-forth.

but the REAL truth is: i don't get paid to do art. i do art for free, because i love it. ART is fun. for me, there's nothing i like better in this world. and that includes Cuban cigars. i get paid, to put up with YOU, the guy paying me, while i am doing art.

if i like you, or i like your project/idea/what you stand for/etc, i might, just maybe, do art for you for free. or for a box of Cuban cigars.

So - contest? why not. if you like me, you might throw some art my way. i might use it. lots of people might see it. if you were passionate about what you created, then lots of people might want to know 'who is that artist that made that passionately cool art?'

and then some one else might want to pay you to do art for them.

it's funny - the movie i do for the art, for the love of it, is the one that usually gets me hired by the guy that wants to pay for my 'condo.'

ART on one hand -- COMMERCE on the other. let the games begin!

Passion should be essential in the eyes of every artist; payments of various measures should be provided for all hard work.

I like you, Tom. :wub: If only I had any skills in graphic design...(wishful thinking)

Okay I have a question and I hope you don't think I am an airhead. But if I buy something can I use a credit card or not.

yes - credit cards are welcome. so is paypal. we need some symbols on the front page there. on it.

The text still does weird things from time to time. The letters get bigger/smaller, blurry, cut-off, & difficult to read. Then, it’s okay. Then, it isn’t. Back-and-forth.

what internet surfer are you using? Google Chrome?

New site is great! Now I gotta buy something!

yes - credit cards are welcome. so is paypal. we need some symbols on the front page there. on it.

Thanks cutie for answering me. Now I have to decide what I want to buy. I would love to buy everything but I can't. ;)

Have another question I know I know I am being a pain in the butt. But are the T-Shirts men sizes or are they both? I wear a different size if they are mens. Thats why I ask. ;)

Perfect! Just what I needed to know, too. :) I’m guessing by "credit cards are welcome" you mean credit cards without using PayPal, since you added "so is PayPal."

what internet surfer are you using? Google Chrome?

I use Internet Explorer 9. I can’t get the site to work at all in Google Chrome. What surfer should I be using?

For whatever reason, Google Chrome is the only browser that gives me issues. Everything else seems to work fine.

apparently, we have trouble loading the site with Google Chrome.

workin on it, but don't hold yer breath.. freakin technology. gotta love it

For whatever reason, Google Chrome is the only browser that gives me issues. Everything else seems to work fine.

Interesting. I don't know what browser is better than another. I pretty much use Google Chrome for every site, except RAW now.

apparently, we have trouble loading the site with Google Chrome.

workin on it, but don't hold yer breath.. freakin technology. gotta love it

Even if you can’t get it to work in Google Chrome, thanks for trying.

I’m still having issues w/ the text; it’s happening more frequently. But if I’m the only one experiencing problems, this time it must be me. I don’t know how it’s me for sure. Technology isn’t my best friend.

And I had to do the log in workaround, again. Not too much of an inconvenice, since I do get in, eventually.

yes.

Nice answer.

Guess what I'm using as I'm posting now....Just guess......The answer is........GOOGLE CHROME! Really? Yup.

Not sure if the problem was fixed, but so far it's working. The text isn't going crazy on me, either. Woo! :D

Thanks for the RAWesome wallpaper -- Perfect Valentine’s Day gift! :)

I have a suggestion and it is just a suggestion. Have you ever thought of having like totes or small handbags for the women of this forum. Ones with the logo on it. I think some of us older ladies would like that even though I think I am the oldest women on here. ;) :rolleyes: