RED DAWN

THE PUNISHER: DIRTY LAUNDRY

Don't forget, Pulp Fiction is a Disney film. Disney owns several companies, so it could be released under a diffrent banner if they go R-rated. Mike does have a point. If they leave language out and the more brutal/gory violence, they could go PG-13 and still be dark. I'm still rooting for an R though.

Pulp Fiction is technically Disney, but under the Miramax flag. That was a Weinstein bros deal. Miramax was sold I think in 2009 or 2010 from Disney. Pulp Fiction was released in 94 but I think it was bought at the 93 Cannes Film fest, but Miramax was purchased the year before or in 93 - I think Pulp Fiction was already a done deal when Miramax was bought by Disney - could be wrong.

I think if Disney retains the rights on The Punisher and decides to release it as a standalone movie, PG13 (likely), it wouldn't work. The early Punisher work was indeed PG13 by comic standards, however I think most of the fans, including myself, would want a MAX version of the story, which is R. Also, even if they were to make a PG13 Punisher, I think they know it will fail and be panned by loyal comic readers as Frank Castle's best stories where during the MAX story arc. There's just no sugar coating it. ...and with the sad situation that happened earlier this morning, I doubt Disney wants that kind of character/movie under their banner. It would be years before we'd hear Disney doing a Punisher movie. It's just that The Punisher isn't a glossy, sci-fi, fantasy guy... he f'ing kills the crap out of bad guys and those guys are humans, mostly. So that would have to be R, by MPAA standards, if you do it right.

Just my two cents. I enjoy the back n forth. It's always great to hear the other side of things.

But it's not Disney, it's Marvel Studios. They are pretty much calling the shots on what movies they want to make.

A PG-13 Punisher film would be a waste of everyone's time. It would be a guaranteed fail.

Don't forget about the Marvel Knights banner. It could still be R rated.

Perhaps to a degree. Disney owns Marvel and I can't help but think they have some branding and creative influence. After having worked at Disney studios for a bit, I know they are very protective of the Disney brand and since Marvel is their pride n joy purchase, they will Disney'fy to an extent. I'm not sure how much creative freedom Marvel projects have under Disney, that's what it boils down to. I think?

I think a pg-13 one could work. Look at Taken. Cut out some cheesy action and dialogue, and that's a Punisher story. I would prefer an R rated one, but if they could make the first one pg13, draw in an audience for the character, then they could make the sequel R rated, once they know they have an audience.

I think a pg-13 one could work. Look at Taken. Cut out some cheesy action and dialogue, and that's a Punisher story.

The biggest problem is that fans would never support it- especially since the previous films were all R-rated. If Marvel were to announce a PG-13 version, the very idea would spark an immediate backlash that would be difficult for the project to overcome.

But the fact that all three Punisher movies were R-rated, and weren't exactly finacial successes would probably give them the idea to try a different approach. Would I prefer an R-rated Punisher, sure, but if they were to annouce a new movie and said it would be PG-13, I wouldn't throw a fit about it.

If you want a pg13 Punisher, have him make a cameo in a pg13 movie like Spiderman or Capt. America, as his first comic book appearance was in a Spidey issue. If the reaction is positive, do a solo Punisher film at pg13... But that's a steep hill to climb. And if they're doing a pg13 flick, there's a good chance they'll op for a younger or more currently popular actor... I'm not supporting any Punisher movie without Tom because I saw first hand at Comic Con how much the guy loves and wants to be that character. Until then we may have The Cleaner webseries.... Whatever I can do to help the Raw Studios family. I'm in.

If you want a pg13 Punisher, have him make a cameo in a pg13 movie like Spiderman or Capt. America, as his first comic book appearance was in a Spidey issue. If the reaction is positive, do a solo Punisher film at pg13... But that's a steep hill to climb. And if they're doing a pg13 flick, there's a good chance they'll op for a younger or more currently popular actor... I'm not supporting any Punisher movie without Tom because I saw first hand at Comic Con how much the guy loves and wants to be that character. Until then we may have The Cleaner webseries.... Whatever I can do to help the Raw Studios family. I'm in.

That..

But the fact that all three Punisher movies were R-rated, and weren't exactly finacial successes would probably give them the idea to try a different approach.

It's a good point. If anything, most R-rated action films today have proven the rating alone is not enough for success at the box office.

But I still think a PG-13 Punisher would be a difficult sell. Even though you could probably make a good film, it's the principle younger audiences would rebel against. Consider the backlash that met Live Free or Die Hard and Expendables 2- and those are two franchises that could easily rely solely on a mainstream audience to support them. Frank Castle would have a more difficult time, and fanboys would fight, ridicule, and argue the idea every step of the way.

With all this talk about PG or R ratings, how much violence is portrayed in the movies, I'm surprised no one mentioned the Dark Knight Rises shooting near Denver. What impact would the Colorado Theater slayings have on the motion picture industry, comics, The Punisher? Out and about, I'll check back later.

With all this talk about PG or R ratings, how much violence is portrayed in the movies, I'm surprised no one mentioned the Dark Knight Rises shooting near Denver. What impact would the Colorado Theater slayings have on the motion picture industry, comics, The Punisher? Out and about, I'll check back later.

I think that Hollywood needs to start being a bit more responsible when it comes to films. The Christopher Nolan Batman films are NOT for children - but they're PG-13 anyway. The Heath Ledger Joker was NOT the Caesar Romero Joker. Ledger was actually terrifying. That is not a movie I would allow my children to see (if I had kids). Batman is a character that appeals to children. There were some pretty sadistic acts of violence in all three Dark Knight movies (like bombs beings sewn inside a character's stomach).

That's another reason why any new films about The Punisher should be Rated R. Frank Castle is NOT a character for children. He is a very adult character, and to make a PG-13 film about him would be done just to make him more accessible to children. It would be very irresponsible. Castle is not only an R-rated character, but he's a hard R.

Frank is all about punishing people who are clearly guilty, and if you go by the 2004 version alone, he makes the punishment fit the crime. He's very "fair" in how he goes about taking care of business. For example, if you're just a psycho who's harassing your girlfriend, you get smacked on the nose with your own knife and thrown down the stairs. Lesson learned. However, if you're a big Russian dude who makes a living by butchering people in cold blood, you get a pot of boiling soup in the face and your head smashed open.

But none if this is for children. Children should not be exposed to Frank's exploits. That's why they have Superman and Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four. Frank Castle does not belong in a PG-13 film and he does not belong on television (unless it's HBO). Doing so would only be done to widen the audience and make him more accessible to children, and that would be wrong. Really wrong.

As for there being too much violence in Hollywood films, I don't see them changing any time soon. As for the "Batman massacre," - blame the sicko who did it. He's the one who is ultimately responsible. I will personally never understand why anyone would do what he did.

The only real blame that Warner Bros. has to shoulder is that they somehow made three Batman movies that should have been R-rated into PG-13 fare. When you think about the content, they're not really PG-13 movies - but they didn't show much actual blood and said "fuck" less than two times. Doing something like that with The Punisher would be the height of irresponsibility.

Everything else aside, I'd like to know what possessed parents to literally bring infants to a midnight screening of TDKR. First of all, that's way too late to be bringing a kid that age to a screening of Bambi. The Dark Knight Rises had imagery that would terrify small children.

It's been awhile since I've read actual comic books, but I'd like to know if the "Comics Code" is still in effect or being enforced? Can anyone answer that?

I think that Hollywood needs to start being a bit more responsible when it comes to films. The Christopher Nolan Batman films are NOT for children - but they're PG-13 anyway. The Heath Ledger Joker was NOT the Caesar Romero Joker. Ledger was actually terrifying. That is not a movie I would allow my children to see (if I had kids). Batman is a character that appeals to children. There were some pretty sadistic acts of violence in all three Dark Knight movies (like bombs beings sewn inside a character's stomach).

That's another reason why any new films about The Punisher should be Rated R. Frank Castle is NOT a character for children. He is a very adult character, and to make a PG-13 film about him would be done just to make him more accessible to children. It would be very irresponsible. Castle is not only an R-rated character, but he's a hard R.

Frank is all about punishing people who are clearly guilty, and if you go by the 2004 version alone, he makes the punishment fit the crime. He's very "fair" in how he goes about taking care of business. For example, if you're just a psycho who's harassing your girlfriend, you get smacked on the nose with your own knife and thrown down the stairs. Lesson learned. However, if you're a big Russian dude who makes a living by butchering people in cold blood, you get a pot of boiling soup in the face and your head smashed open.

But none if this is for children. Children should not be exposed to Frank's exploits. That's why they have Superman and Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four. Frank Castle does not belong in a PG-13 film and he does not belong on television (unless it's HBO). Doing so would only be done to widen the audience and make him more accessible to children, and that would be wrong. Really wrong.

As for there being too much violence in Hollywood films, I don't see them changing any time soon. As for the "Batman massacre," - blame the sicko who did it. He's the one who is ultimately responsible. I will personally never understand why anyone would do what he did.

The only real blame that Warner Bros. has to shoulder is that they somehow made three Batman movies that should have been R-rated into PG-13 fare. When you think about the content, they're not really PG-13 movies - but they didn't show much actual blood and said "fuck" less than two times. Doing something like that with The Punisher would be the height of irresponsibility.

Everything else aside, I'd like to know what possessed parents to literally bring infants to a midnight screening of TDKR. First of all, that's way too late to be bringing a kid that age to a screening of Bambi. The Dark Knight Rises had imagery that would terrify small children.

It's been awhile since I've read actual comic books, but I'd like to know if the "Comics Code" is still in effect or being enforced? Can anyone answer that?

I agree with the majority of this. Frank Castle should never be a PG13 character. Just because a character is in a comic book doesn't automatically make him/her pg13 or kid friendly. Even the original TMNT weren't kid friendly. I think there are versions of Batman that are, but the best Batman stories are not for kids. By kids, I mean anyone under 13. Teen being up at a midnight screening or reading No Man's Land is okay, depending how involved the parents are.

Take it from me, my 10 yr old daughter had a Leatherface night light...... just kidding.

Saw this yesterday and it made my year. Not only was it a great watch, but it was great to see just how many people are craving a new Punisher film.

Well done to everyone involved :)

Here's another pic I snapped on set. Jane and Joanou doing a little dry run on part of the fight sequence.

Enjoy!

FightPhil_6753.jpg

- TB

I can't believe I missed out on the TJ & TB Q&A on here. :o

I know - me too! I was thinking "Did I miss the memo?" But managed to catch the tail-end of the comet when the guys were here, plenty of Punisher / DL questions to field. :) Thanks again for the Q&A, gents!

Here's another pic I snapped on set. Jane and Joanou doing a little dry run on part of the fight sequence.

Enjoy!

FightPhil_6753.jpg

- TB

Ooh, thanks Tim - another great shot! I love on-set candids, especially yours! :)

I agree. Look at all the blood in Dirty Laundry. It sells the story. It sells the message. Punishment. Judgment. Who would have enjoyed the short without the blood? It still would have been good but the blood sold it. It said we're not messing around.

Of course it could be curbed but could it be curbed to Disney/Marvel (After Avengers) standards and still deliver on the Punisher promise?

The Punisher does NOT belong in the Marvel film universe. I've read the comics and seen Frank take down the Marvel Universe. I see Rucka delivering in that universe in the current series as well but I'm not sure that's the Frank I want. I want the Dirty Laundry Frank.

I want to see Frank go after Mob Boss'. I want to see Frank take down shitty politicians and accidently get mixed up in some high government black ops stuff but I could also go for a smaller, Frank in hiding in a seedy neighborhood where the Dirty Laundry incident blows up into a urban war between the Punisher and the local street gangs and crooked cops.

I was also surprised by the lack of content regarding the Colorado Dark Knight madness. I am at a loss as to what to say about it myself outside of the obvious sadness over it's senslessness.

And I, as a parent, can't understand these people who bring their infants to these events. I understand you can't get a sitter maybe but then grow up and see the film when you can get a sitter. I swear the selfishness of these acts. I was at restaurant not too long ago. These people came in with three kids. They were sat at a round table in the center of the room. The kids could not keep their ass' in their seats and were running around the table and causing a ruckus. Hey, maybe those people had been on the road a while and were pulling off to get some food and out of the car on their way to a far away vacation spot. Kids are kids. I get it. But then they break out the portable dvd player from the car and put a movie on for the kids at the table, maybe, I suppose, for all of us. Very thoughtfull. The whole room gets to enjoy the Wiggles with our meals. Great. I know there's no rule book to raising kids but, maybe I'm a dick, but that seems to be simply a lack of consideration for everyone else in the place to say nothing how much your fucking up your kids by not disciplining them on how to act in a establishment that isnt Chuck e cheese. Ugh.

you can take a baby to anything. they have no idea whats going on anyway. i took my kid everywhere as a baby, and as a result she can sleep through thunder. when they hit about two, two and a half, then you gotta start locking them in the trunk when you wanna watch a flick or get a good meal..

In one of the SDCC interviews, Tom mentions how they got the writer, but how did you get ahold of Phil? Were there any other directors that were talked to?

Have a good one, Tom.

there was never another director considered. i started at the top of my list. Phil was someone i had met because i was such a big fan, and i sought him out. when i put this thing together in my head, i assembled a 'dream team' for this kind of material. Phil Joanou's STATE OF GRACE naturally put him at the top of the list. and for anyone who hasn't seen it, FINAL ANALYSIS is a near perfect film noir.

no. brainer.

Tom mentioned earlier that it would likely take about 4 million views for Marvel to take serious notice . . .

- TB

i believe the number was 10 million, Timmy. ;) but even then, a new Punisher film is a pipe dream.

we live in different times.

Frank is a relic. a stone age brute in black and that's one more reason to make the the short -- call it a swan song.

but if you want to dream - there is no such thing as a PG13 Frank Castle.

no such thing as a television show.

and there is no Space Punisher - except in comic books, and i totally get that.

comics should be the wild frontier where anything goes.

because every now and then, you find gold.

but if you want to dream - there is no such thing as a PG13 Frank Castle.

no such thing as a television show.

Certainly correct, but there can always be a hard-R HBO Frank Castle series can't there? Would you do it that way?

-Raf

when they hit about two, two and a half, then you gotta start locking them in the trunk when you wanna watch a flick or get a good meal..

Can't wait until your babysitting training video comes out. lol