Tim Bradstreet

Film Score Archive

I'm loving "ROAR! (Cloverfield Overture)" by Michael Giacchino.

I like Giacchino's work but don't have much recollection of the music from the film.

I'll have to give this a sample.

- TB

I like Giacchino's work but don't have much recollection of the music from the film.

I'll have to give this a sample.

- TB

The only bit of music was "ROAR!" during the credits. The track hasn't been officially released, I think it should be on iTunes on the 29th. I came across a high quality rip of it from the DVD and just downloaded it.

It's a nice old school monster movie theme.

Look what else I found.

scan0003-1.jpg

Kewl, huh?

mediumfan

If you can pick up the expanded edition of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - which if I recall correctly is a Capitol records release, it has some great additional cues.

Lisa Gerrard's work on Gladiator is magnificent. She actually came up in conversation the other day with a producer that I am working with - they went to High school together. Small world.

regards

Andrew

Yeah, there is a cheapness to it- 'campy' as you say. And that's what gives it that grimy, gritty flavor- they really don't give a fuck. Its trashy and explicit and not well constructed like Cronenberg- NoE is miles away from that- but remember the show got that stamped as their style and the movie reflected it. But the show- like Medium- has fuck ups cause of the speed it was created at. It wasn't well sculpted or anything- and when I recall scenes like 'you wanna get high?' I figure the dialogiue and even the fucking storyline wasn't even important- its all about the visuals and the slick effects they were experimenting with. Horror is shock. At least this type- its purely visual. Its like a relationship with only sex.

So yeah, the dialogue and acting and all that sucked and why excuse Patricia- it all sucked but crazy graphic shit was what it was about.

Like punk I have mentioned, and hip-hop- cause those both forms of music are parrallel in many ways i think. Punk music was shitty- fuzzed, dirty sounding not with fancy digital bit-crusher' or phaser effects but simply cause their amp was busted. Sex Pistols sucked at guitar, musically they were elementary yet they never cared cause the music was a platform- a foundation through which they can carry their message. They grew up in London ghetto with garbage stacked 6 stories high along the street. Basically- they were pissed off motherfuckers. So the used music/ sound/ to express their political views.

Its like that with Freddy and horror- fuck the acting and classical depth of the story- this isn't Shakespeare- its fucking shoving 20,000 syringes in some bitch in a sleazy alleyway and telling her he wants to get high.

But NoE makes it up in dropping some of the illest effects I have ever seen including movies in this century. I bet many directors still cannot recreate that melting cycle- or those kids coming out of New York Film Academy would never be able to make people fly given the technology in 80s. These guys had a understanding of film- the actual piece of film. The fucked with splicing and flicker rates and warped chemicals to

create all these psychedilc effects we are seeing. The tweaked their films/ produced their effects physically cause the computer was primitive back then.

Anyways- my point is: don't talk shit about NoE.

cexcean

sveinx- if you like punk, and you like movies, how about the soundtracks for Sid and Nancy, and Repo Man? They're pretty great. The Circle Jerks are on both of those soundtracks, and Gary Oldman does a pretty convincing Sid Vicious in the song "My Way".

FUCK NANCY!!!

Amy-

sveinx- if you like punk, and you like movies, how about the soundtracks for Sid and Nancy, and Repo Man? They're pretty great. The Circle Jerks are on both of those soundtracks, and Gary Oldman does a pretty convincing Sid Vicious in the song "My Way".

FUCK NANCY!!!

Personally, I hate punk music. I appreciate the concept of spitting in the authorities face but I also appreciate beautiful sound design and well constructed compositions.

Speaking of- along with the composers who score films we gotta give it up to the guys who design the sound effects. Things like sounds of incisions of robotic arms in gadgets - in 12 Monkeys for instance- just environmental sounds like explosions and special effects like clicks and bleeps and bloops of machines- all that shit. There are these guys behind synthesizers making them- it always amazed me how these guys came up with the all the sounds we hear in film that is NOT music nor real world recordings.

Though, Amy thanks for the tip and you're not gonna believe this but you remember me talking about mustaches? and then mentioning how some dude who plays a district attorney on Patricia Arquette's T.V. show Medium- has a mustache?

medium35.jpg

Well guess who that was?

sandoval4.jpg

His name is Miguel Sandoval. you see? I make sense sometimes. there is a method to the madness.

sometimes

Andrew-

Lisa Gerrard's work on Gladiator is magnificent. She actually came up in conversation the other day with a producer that I am working with - they went to High school together. Small world.

Is she from Ireland? That's what I heard. and how the hell did she learn all those African tribal languages, Middle Eastern and Indian grooves all in one lifetime?

sveinx

p/s/

Sid Vicious was a pussy who's bass was unplugged in all the shows. My opinion - that's all.

Is she from Ireland? That's what I heard. and how the hell did she learn all those African tribal languages, Middle Eastern and Indian grooves all in one lifetime?

sveinx

p/s/

No originally from Melbourne, Australia. I think she lived in Prahran which is pretty diverse in terms of culture. My friend the producer was telling me that the agent gatekeepers almost screwed up her opportunity to work with Morricone. They didn't know who he was, and just told her it was this guy and they didn't have a lot of money for the project. Played it as though it was nothing. Was only when Lisa asked for the name of the 'guy' that she became fully aware and lept at the chance to work with Il Maestro.

Still can't work out how you can not know who Ennio Morricone is - especially when you are supposed to be a musical agent.

regards

Andrew

Personally, I hate punk music. I appreciate the concept of spitting in the authorities face but I also appreciate beautiful sound design and well constructed compositions.

Speaking of- along with the composers who score films we gotta give it up to the guys who design the sound effects. Things like sounds of incisions of robotic arms in gadgets - in 12 Monkeys for instance- just environmental sounds like explosions and special effects like clicks and bleeps and bloops of machines- all that shit. There are these guys behind synthesizers making them- it always amazed me how these guys came up with the all the sounds we hear in film that is NOT music nor real world recordings.

Though, Amy thanks for the tip and you're not gonna believe this but you remember me talking about mustaches? and then mentioning how some dude who plays a district attorney on Patricia Arquette's T.V. show Medium- has a mustache?

medium35.jpg

Well guess who that was?

sandoval4.jpg

His name is Miguel Sandoval. you see? I make sense sometimes. there is a method to the madness.

sometimes

sveinx

p/s/

Sid Vicious was a pussy who's bass was unplugged in all the shows. My opinion - that's all.

A ) How can you hate The Ramones?! Heathen!

B ) The score for 28 Days Later is fantastic. It's dark and eerie, but also kind of sad. There are some ethereal vocals hidden in there too. The same director also did Trainspotting which also has a great score/soundtrack. But I don't think you'd like it, sveinx.

C ) Sid's bass was most definitely unplugged at all their shows, but I would say that calling out Queen Elizabeth II as a fascist (in 1977) hardly makes him a pussy. Of course he couldn't play bass, that wasn't the point. Punk was (and should still be) about telling "the man" to go fuck himself, and giving a voice to the disenchanted. Even if it was by way of hearting peoples' ears to make them pay attention.

Manuel looks great!

Have you seen Russell Crowe as Hando in Romper Stomper- HAHAHA!!!

Oh My GOD! I have become a death spyder embryo.

hey Amy~

You're right. Sid Viscious wasn't a pussy. he was more a dick. no just kidding- i agree with you 100% that punk is a political platform to shove it in the system's face. I was just never into it sonically but I love the energy and drive behind it

and yeah- I heard about how Queen Elizabeth was on a boat or ferry or something on some river for some dinner get-together. And the Sex Pistols floated by on another boat playing like obnoxiously (their instruments not a tape) and as they floated by the Queen Johnny Rotten is screaming out lyrics to God Save the Queen.

I do respect that.

And I have seen Trainspotting- can recall dead baby crawling on the ceiling and diving into a toilet for heroin. I loved the Iggy Pop track who is another bad-ass motherfucker by the way- that dude used to roll around in broken glass on stage!

and I LOVE how you misspelled hurting peoples ears as 'hearting'. Unless it was intentional cause uh, you know...love hurts and sometimes the painful truth is out of love. I want to heart somebody right now! Fuckin bust their skull open.

with love of course.

and yeah, Miguel was looking great back in the day- now he's sorta got an inverted mohawk goin on.

sveinx

Oh My GOD! I have become a death spyder embryo.

hey Amy~

You're right. Sid Viscious wasn't a pussy. he was more a dick. no just kidding- i agree with you 100% that punk is a political platform to shove it in the system's face. I was just never into it sonically but I love the energy and drive behind it

and yeah- I heard about how Queen Elizabeth was on a boat or ferry or something on some river for some dinner get-together. And the Sex Pistols floated by on another boat playing like obnoxiously (their instruments not a tape) and as they floated by the Queen Johnny Rotten is screaming out lyrics to God Save the Queen.

I do respect that.

And I have seen Trainspotting- can recall dead baby crawling on the ceiling and diving into a toilet for heroin. I loved the Iggy Pop track who is another bad-ass motherfucker by the way- that dude used to roll around in broken glass on stage!

and I LOVE how you misspelled hurting peoples ears as 'hearting'. Unless it was intentional cause uh, you know...love hurts and sometimes the painful truth is out of love. I want to heart somebody right now! Fuckin bust their skull open.

with love of course.

and yeah, Miguel was looking great back in the day- now he's sorta got an inverted mohawk goin on.

sveinx

Ooops! I are a colej gradiate.

You know I don't much care for the Saw movies, but I'm digging the bit of music at the end of the first movie called "Hello Zepp" that and another version of it called "Zepp Overture".

I bought the score for The Dark Knight when it hit last Tuesday.

I stopped myself from popping it open that day since I was watching the film that night.

When I got home, I gave it a test drive and ever since - Its been my apartment's most prominent score.

I gotta give kudos to Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard for going in a very dark route with this one.

It has the iconic qualities of the last score, bit in a much more suitable fashion.

One of the things I disliked about his score for Batman Begins was the ongoing use of his "wave theme" through EVERY dialogue scene in the film.

I think that particular track was overused and needed vast reduction.

For Dark Knight, he just hits you with things when you need them best.

The scene in Batman Begins where Bruce gets Rachel's birthday present is followed by him running to the batsuit. That shot of him opening up the display for it has what I feel was the best part of that score.

For The Dark Knight its almost EVERY scene.

The track behind Bruce's plot to invade China is probably the best one from that side of the film.

The Joker's theme is just perfect.

Reminiscent of There Will Be Blood, perfect during the bank robbery and just creepy during the "Why So Serious?" scene.

-TL

I bought the score for The Dark Knight when it hit last Tuesday.

I stopped myself from popping it open that day since I was watching the film that night.

When I got home, I gave it a test drive and ever since - Its been my apartment's most prominent score.

I gotta give kudos to Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard for going in a very dark route with this one.

It has the iconic qualities of the last score, bit in a much more suitable fashion.

One of the things I disliked about his score for Batman Begins was the ongoing use of his "wave theme" through EVERY dialogue scene in the film.

I think that particular track was overused and needed vast reduction.

For Dark Knight, he just hits you with things when you need them best.

The scene in Batman Begins where Bruce gets Rachel's birthday present is followed by him running to the batsuit. That shot of him opening up the display for it has what I feel was the best part of that score.

For The Dark Knight its almost EVERY scene.

The track behind Bruce's plot to invade China is probably the best one from that side of the film.

The Joker's theme is just perfect.

Reminiscent of There Will Be Blood, perfect during the bank robbery and just creepy during the "Why So Serious?" scene.

-TL

Loved the score, brilliant, bought it, listening to it now. Sounded amazing in the IMAX.

JO

Just listened to The Dark Knight. Finally. I've been waiting all summer for a good film score. I have yet to listen to Hellboy 2, but I've heard only good things about it.

My sisters bought the Dark Knight score a few days ago. I gotta tell ya it's good but a lot of it is the same music. I thing all around however, the Batman Begins score is better. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard never dissapoint me.

Also a score I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO, the Punisher: War Zone by Christopher Franke was something I wanted to talk about here but from what I have been reading, the movie is disregarding a score. GOD DAMMIT!

-Raffi

You can't forget their work on the Flash Gordon soundtrack either, "The Hero" is a great song.

Listening to that CD right now. I love it and "A Kind Of Magic" because if you've seen those movies as many times as I have you can watch them in your head as the music plays- especially the Flash one.

I really hated when my studio partner moved to Arizona because he had all the kick ass soundtracks and scores! It wasn't the only reason I hated his move (this was back just before high-speed internet was common), but I'll think about putting in a CD while I'm working and remember I don't own it- he did!

I'm a big John Williams fan, but also dig Henry Mancini and a lot of Elfman's stuff.

Some of my favorite scores/soundtracks are:

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

The Crow

The Incredibles

Remains of the Day

Somewhere In Time

The Phantom

Tim- thanks for letting me know about this thread. Learned a lot in the past hour, made a list of some of your suggestions, and I think I've got a few purchases to make this weekend. ;)

Lin

Some good soundtracks I've been listening to recently:

Lady in the Water - James Newton Howard

("Prologue" and "The Healing")

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

("Silver Savior/Aftermath")

28 Weeks Later - John Murphy

(the whole thing rocks)

What I'm patiently waiting for is a "Death Sentence" soundtrack, don't know if they'll ever release it

I do like The Dark Knight score, but not as much as Batman Begins. I've been listening to a lot of soundtracks from some of this years films. I have to say it's been a pretty good year for film scores. Hellboy 2, Wanted (good year for Elfman fans), Indy 4, The Happening, and Incredible Hulk are all in heavy rotation. I thought it would be neat to pose a question to the group. Name your favorite score that accompanied a really bad film. Here's my small list in no particular order...

The Happening - James Newton Howard (He does all of the M. Night films, and boy was this one a stinker.)

Evan Almighty - John Debney (An unfunny movie with a pretty decent score.)

Conspiracy Theory - Carter Burwell (A really good score to a really bad film.)

I've excluded Waterworld because I actually like that movie! :lol:

- Randy

Guest AdminGuyX
I do like The Dark Knight score, but not as much as Batman Begins.

I was surprised to feel the same way. Something about the BB score just clicks with me. I mean, I REALLY enjoy almost everything about The Dark Knight, and the score makes me want to go see it again right now. The BB score doesn't make me want to pop in the DVD, I can just enjoy it as a stand alone thing.

I'm positive this has to do with how many times I've seen the respective films, and the fact that I don't have TDK on DVD.

:)

Siplon, how can you call Conspiracy Theory a really bad film?

Its the best Donner's given us since Maverick, Gibson was an awesome programmed assassin, Patrick Stewart played the PERFECT spook and who can forget the combination locks on Gibson's coffee and tapioka pudding?

-TL

Siplon, how can you call Conspiracy Theory a really bad film?

Its the best Donner's given us since Maverick, Gibson was an awesome programmed assassin, Patrick Stewart played the PERFECT spook and who can forget the combination locks on Gibson's coffee and tapioka pudding?

-TL

Well, alright fine, it's not really bad, it's just bad. ;) This is after all just my opinion, and opinions can never be wrong, right? :)

"Like the rest of you, I'm a huge fan of Vangelis and his incredible score to Blade Runner. But have you ever heard his score for 1492: Conquest Of Paradise? Absolutely stunning. Or try "El Greco" (A non score), or "Mythodea" - Music For The NASA Mission: 2001 Mars Odyssey. The good composers are worth exploring."~ TB

That was the very first film score I ever bought. I've replaced it several times, I play it so often. But I'm going to read this thread with pen and paper in hand, and make a list of goodies I've missed.

Did you ever hear a score for an otherwise forgetable film called "Trespass?" Mark Knoppfler did it. I love that one, too.

Nomad

"Like the rest of you, I'm a huge fan of Vangelis and his incredible score to Blade Runner. But have you ever heard his score for 1492: Conquest Of Paradise? Absolutely stunning. Or try "El Greco" (A non score), or "Mythodea" - Music For The NASA Mission: 2001 Mars Odyssey. The good composers are worth exploring."~ TB

That was the very first film score I ever bought. I've replaced it several times, I play it so often. But I'm going to read this thread with pen and paper in hand, and make a list of goodies I've missed.

Did you ever hear a score for an otherwise forgetable film called "Trespass?" Mark Knoppfler did it. I love that one, too.

Nomad

Are you sure you don't mean Ry Cooder?

Ry did the score for Walter Hill's Trespass with Bill Paxton, Ice-T, and Bill Sadler.

Is that the film you're talking about or is there another Trespass?

Cooder is fantastic, love his little bio over on Wim Wender's site.

Though for the uninitiated, I'd suggest the Wikipedia page.

I've got about a half dozen of his scores and they are always fun to listen to. I've always really dug the score for Johnny Handsome.

My favorite track is the awesome, "Cruising With Rafe".

- TB

I've fallen in love with the Pusher Trilogy recently (check my posts in the Non Mainstream thread and Foreign Film thread). One of the things liked a lot was the music, the tracks I'm posting are from Pusher II, they're the only ones I've been able to find.

Here's a John Carpenter influenced bit of synth.

"The Acoustics of Crime"

"Tonny's Theme"

"With Blood on My Hands"