Tim Bradstreet

Film Score Archive

I love the score from Beetle Juice, Twin Peaks, Legend, Halloween....hmmm....I guess I have more soundtracks than scores though- The Devil's Rejects, Lost Highway, High Fidelity, Boogie Nights, Grosse Pointe Blank, Kill Bill Vol1, Maximum Overdrive, Velvet Goldmine and 50 First Dates.

I love the soundtrack/score to Lost Highway, it creeps me out big time. I love the track Red Bats With Teeth. I like the scores to Beetlejuice, Twin Peaks, Legend as well as Halloween but also I'm a big fan of the score to The Thing.

High Fidelity and Grosse Pointe Blank do have some pretty damn good soundtracks.

JO

I love the soundtrack/score to Lost Highway, it creeps me out big time. I love the track Red Bats With Teeth. I like the scores to Beetlejuice, Twin Peaks, Legend as well as Halloween but also I'm a big fan of the score to The Thing.

High Fidelity and Grosse Pointe Blank do have some pretty damn good soundtracks.

JO

I need to buy the Thing on DVD. I have it on an old VHS, and therefore haven't watched it in a while, so I'm having a hard time remembering the score.

John Carpenter has directed some amazing films- can't forget the longest fight scene ever in They Live (Rowdy Roddy Piper rules!) I seem to remeber that The Fog has a pretty cool score.

"You know what Jack Burton always says-" "Who's Jack Burton?" "Me!"

John Carpenter did this flick called In the Mouth of Madness and I don't know how that motherfucker tapped into that part of my psyche the scene where its night and the perspective is of you driving down a road and under your headlights you see this guy riding his bicycle on the side of the road- as you pass by the guy turns his freaky head with his freaky face and looks at you all lit from your headlights and something simple done so well psychologically traumatized me to this day. He hit my worst fear sending chills down back. And yes. My worst fear is an old man riding his bike down the street and looking at me. Its just how they do it. take a simple act and freak the fuck out of you. David Cronenber (who uses Howard Shore for his scores) is sneaky like that.

Did Rob Zombie do Devil Rejects all by himself or was it a comp?

Lost Highway soundtrack was scored by this guy named Angelo Badalementi. It was sequenced by Nine Inch Nails but the composition pieces in between the songs is Angelo. He did that really hot sexy dub track when Pete is fucking Sheila in his car. And he's like this 70 year old, ugly bastard!

He scored Twin peaks as well and basically does every David Lynch movie. He's so dark and beautiful. and NIN's 'A Perfect Drug' not a bad tune either.

I love Lost Highway- one of my favorite and most inspirational flicks. It's amazing except for that one actress who played Renee/Alice- that girl sucked. They should have gotten Jennifer Love Hewitt or Paris Hilton to play that role. But the girl who actually did act in it- also did this one movie when she was 19 called Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors- a fucked up Wes Craven film also scored by Angelo Badalamenti. She sucked back then too- i just can't remember her damn name. <_<

sveinx

Actually that is Patricia Arquette...Thomas Jane's wife! Don't let Medium Fan hear you say that! (JK-much love Medium Fan) I like Patricia's work, myself.

Any hoo, I love In the Mouth of Madness, it was such a creative concept at the time. And David Cronenberg is a crazy freak- but I love him.

The Devil's Rejects was Rob Zombie's alone.

I adore "Perfect Drug". I also like the Marilyn Manson's song on there, and I usually have no interest in his music. But "This Magic Moment" is so beautiful, it's the best song on it.

Angelo Badalemente is rad. The soundtrack for Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me has some cool stuff. A chick named Julie Cruise does some haunting songs, they are kinda girlie, but amazing.

Dream Warriors was great. You know Michael Bay (Transformers) is remaking Nightmare on Elmstreet from the beginning WITHOUT ROBERT ENGLAND!!!!! How is that possible? So disrespectful.

Actually that is Patricia Arquette...Thomas Jane's wife! Don't let Medium Fan hear you say that! (JK-much love Medium Fan) I like Patricia's work, myself.

Any hoo, I love In the Mouth of Madness, it was such a creative concept at the time. And David Cronenberg is a crazy freak- but I love him.

The Devil's Rejects was Rob Zombie's alone.

I adore "Perfect Drug". I also like the Marilyn Manson's song on there, and I usually have no interest in his music. But "This Magic Moment" is so beautiful, it's the best song on it.

Angelo Badalemente is rad. The soundtrack for Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me has some cool stuff. A chick named Julie Cruise does some haunting songs, they are kinda girlie, but amazing.

Dream Warriors was great. You know Michael Bay (Transformers) is remaking Nightmare on Elmstreet from the beginning WITHOUT ROBERT ENGLAND!!!!! How is that possible? So disrespectful.

Lol, Amy!!!

I gotta weigh in for a sec on the "Lost Highway" soundtrack. The scoring by Angelo Badalamenti is fantastic, but NiN and Marilyn Manson on that album also kick ass. This Magic Moment is one of my favorite parts of the soundtrack, (and the movie). Another great song that isn't on the album is Song to the Siren by This Mortal Coil, which is f'ing off the chain, it's so great. It's the one that's playing when Pete and Alice are making love in the desert at the end. LOVE that one. That whole album is great, though.

I read that about Michael Bay remaking NoES without Robert England. That's CRIMINAL!! But I heard that England turned it down. Can't say I blame him. Some things are better left alone.

Mediumfan

Lol, Amy!!!

I gotta weigh in for a sec on the "Lost Highway" soundtrack. The scoring by Angelo Badalamenti is fantastic, but NiN and Marilyn Manson on that album also kick ass. This Magic Moment is one of my favorite parts of the soundtrack, (and the movie). Another great song that isn't on the album is Song to the Siren by This Mortal Coil, which is f'ing off the chain, it's so great. It's the one that's playing when Pete and Alice are making love in the desert at the end. LOVE that one. That whole album is great, though.

I read that about Michael Bay remaking NoES without Robert England. That's CRIMINAL!! But I heard that England turned it down. Can't say I blame him. Some things are better left alone.

Mediumfan

:o Bless you Medium Fan! I have been searching for that song since this film came out! It's not on my version of the soundtrack- I LOVE Song of the Siren. Makes me cry when I hear it. It is so beautiful.

Lost Highway soundtrack was scored by this guy named Angelo Badalementi. It was sequenced by Nine Inch Nails but the composition pieces in between the songs is Angelo. He did that really hot sexy dub track when Pete is fucking Sheila in his car. And he's like this 70 year old, ugly bastard!

He scored Twin peaks as well and basically does every David Lynch movie. He's so dark and beautiful. and NIN's 'A Perfect Drug' not a bad tune either.

Badalementi is a wonderful composer, Lynch works very heavily with him when they collaborate.

One of Badalementi's best pure scores is for the Junet masterpiece "A Very Long Engagement". I highly recommend that score.

I love Lost Highway- one of my favorite and most inspirational flicks. It's amazing except for that one actress who played Renee/Alice- that girl sucked. They should have gotten Jennifer Love Hewitt or Paris Hilton to play that role. But the girl who actually did act in it- also did this one movie when she was 19 called Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors- a fucked up Wes Craven film also scored by Angelo Badalamenti. She sucked back then too- i just can't remember her damn name. <_>

sveinx

Also interesting to note in our continuing theme of six degrees of separation, 'ol Frank Darabont wrote the screenplay for Nightmare 3. Back before he was a Academy award nominated director he wrote screenplays for NOE 3, the remake of The Blob, The Fly II, and 5 episodes of Young Indiana Jones.

Directors very often align themselves with a preferred composer, Darabont works primarily with two, Thomas Newman (Shawshank, and Green Mile), and Mark Isham (The Majestic, and The Mist). I'm wondering who he goes with for his long awaited remake of Fahrenheit 451.

- TB

Amy-

Sveinx- me thinks thou dost be a smart ass!

Me thinks thou dost be right.

O.K. back to Film soundtracks-

Junet masterpiece "A Very Long Engagement".

Is that 'Junet' as in City of Lost Children 'Junet' or am I messing up the spelling? Where do I get that CD. I have only found Badalementi's work on the soundtracks for Twin Peaks, Lost Highway and Mullholland Drive. He is so brilliant but so hard to find.

TB-Also interesting to note in our continuing theme of six degrees of separation, 'ol Frank Darabont wrote the screenplay for Nightmare 3. Back before he was a Academy award nominated director he wrote screenplays for NOE 3, the remake of The Blob, The Fly II, and 5 episodes of Young Indiana Jones

WOW! I've always considered those Freddy Kruegers to be like punk horror films. They were pretty low budget but did some extremely far out experimental effects like Freddy jumping into a video game or in Dream Warriors- a melting tricycle. That shit had some intense effects yet laced in this nasty horror flick. I love that. And they didn't have CGI back in the 80s.

and that script was wild. I'm so grateful I got into Thomas's work and this whole scene- I had no idea Darabont and Ray Zone were all part of this RAW vibe.

sveinx.

p.s.

The Blob kicked ass.

WOW...you're interesting... :lol:

WOW...you're interesting... :lol:

ummm...thanks. but I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not. That's the problem with these forums.

Like this shit really expresses what one feels-

:rolleyes: <_< :angry: :unsure: ;) :P

cause I do that sometimes in real life- like stick a picture on a popsicle stick and put it in fron of my face in conversation and nobody gets me.

I'm so misunderstood-

I'm telling you TB you need to get one of those crybaby icons!

sveinx

This message will self-destruct in 10 seconds, and, as always, should you or any member of your team be captured, this agency will disavow any knowledge of your existence.

and if you're wondering how I told her- we both moderate a Patricia Arquette forum. She does it cause she loves her and I do it cause I hate her.

sveinx

Consider yourself captured, sveinx. You're on your own. ;)

Mediumfan

QUOTE(sveinx @ Apr 24 2008, 05:25 PM)

Badalementi is a wonderful composer, Lynch works very heavily with him when they collaborate.

One of Badalementi's best pure scores is for the Junet masterpiece "A Very Long Engagement". I highly recommend that score.

I love Lost Highway- one of my favorite and most inspirational flicks. It's amazing except for that one actress who played Renee/Alice- that girl sucked. They should have gotten Jennifer Love Hewitt or Paris Hilton to play that role. But the girl who actually did act in it- also did this one movie when she was 19 called Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors- a fucked up Wes Craven film also scored by Angelo Badalamenti. She sucked back then too- i just can't remember her damn name.

sveinx

Also interesting to note in our continuing theme of six degrees of separation, 'ol Frank Darabont wrote the screenplay for Nightmare 3. Back before he was a Academy award nominated director he wrote screenplays for NOE 3, the remake of The Blob, The Fly II, and 5 episodes of Young Indiana Jones.

Directors very often align themselves with a preferred composer, Darabont works primarily with two, Thomas Newman (Shawshank, and Green Mile), and Mark Isham (The Majestic, and The Mist). I'm wondering who he goes with for his long awaited remake of Fahrenheit 451.

- TB

I love that bit li'l bit o' trivia about Darabont, TB. That's cool. It's funny how everything's connected, ya know? Personally, for me, the only one of the NoES movies that was remotely watchable was 3.

Since we're talking about Badalamenti, I found something kind of neat about him in Variety today. Seems he and Dario Marianelli are being honored at the World Soundtrack Awards this October. Sounds kinda cool. And seems fitting. The guy has done some f'ing amazing work!

Here's a brief article about it.

And since you mentioned The Mist, TB, is there a soundtrack/score available for it? I loved that song that was used at the end, but I don't recall much other music in it. I'll have to watch it again, lol. :P

Mediumfan

HEY AMY!!!! Don't Bless HER! Bless ME!!! I was the one who told her about This Mortal Coil!

My apologies. I never meant to steal anyone's thunder. :P

Naturally there is a score for it.

You can get it here or search for a better deal -

http://www.amazon.com/Mist-Mark-Isham/dp/B...3986&sr=1-1

It's pretty short though, running time is just over 32 minutes and that includes the Dead Can Dance track, "Host Of The Seraphim"

The vocal is by Lisa Gerrard, former member of Dead Can Dance. She's obviously been quite busy since the band disbanded, offering her luxurious contralto vocals to such film scores as Gladiator and Tears Of The Sun with Hans Zimmer, The Insider with Pieter Bourke. Also Layer Cake, Salem's Lot, Black Hawk Down, among many others.

You can also grab Host Of The Seraphim by picking up the classic Dead Can Dance album, "The Serpent's Egg".

There are also various other mixes of the song available. If you like that song you'll love Dead Can Dance.

For my money, here are two Gerrard scores that are worth every penny.

Whale Rider and A Thousand Roads (With Jeff Rona)

gerrard.jpg

- TB

No problem MF.

Oh, and . . . The Isham score may be short but it's excellent.

Get it used, totally worth it. A pal 'o mine hooked me up with it (thanks JO'B).

But I had to buy it too. I love to browse shop but the Frys around here do not carry much soundtrack selection.

Best Buy is a joke. Only Borders and Barnes and Noble offer a reasonable selection, but their prices are more of a joke than Best Buy's selection.

- TB

I love that bit li'l bit o' trivia about Darabont, TB. That's cool. It's funny how everything's connected, ya know? Personally, for me, the only one of the NoES movies that was remotely watchable was 3.

Since we're talking about Badalamenti, I found something kind of neat about him in Variety today. Seems he and Dario Marianelli are being honored at the World Soundtrack Awards this October. Sounds kinda cool. And seems fitting. The guy has done some f'ing amazing work!

Here's a brief article about it.

And since you mentioned The Mist, TB, is there a soundtrack/score available for it? I loved that song that was used at the end, but I don't recall much other music in it. I'll have to watch it again, lol. :P

Mediumfan

My apologies. I never meant to steal anyone's thunder. :P

I have to say, MF (wow, maybe not such a good to call you!) I just watched the first NoES, and I still think it's pretty creepy. There is a great shot of Freddy coming out of the wall above Heather Langenkamp's head while she is in bed. And in the original, Freddy wasn't QUITE as silly with the one liners yet- he was still kinda scarey. Johnny Depp with the TV is still my favorite shot, though!

I know what you mean though, Freddy's Dead was pretty bad (Roseanne and Tom Arnold were in it).

I have to say, MF (wow, maybe not such a good to call you!) I just watched the first NoES, and I still think it's pretty creepy. There is a great shot of Freddy coming out of the wall above Heather Langenkamp's head while she is in bed. And in the original, Freddy wasn't QUITE as silly with the one liners yet- he was still kinda scarey. Johnny Depp with the TV is still my favorite shot, though!

I know what you mean though, Freddy's Dead was pretty bad (Roseanne and Tom Arnold were in it).

Lol, Amy!! I don't mind. I know what you mean! Still, it is kinda funny, inn't?

I was never a huge fan of the NoES movies anyway, and I found most of the acting to be painfully tired. And by that I mean all the young actors in it (except Patricia :lol: ). A lot of them were stiff, and the dialogue was hokey and campy. And even though I liked Dream Warriors, I still found it to be a bit campy. Freddy was scary, in the beginning, but after a while, he was just a sad caricature of himself, riddled with cliches and bad dialogue.

The whole series had it's moments of brilliance, that were genuinely scare-the-hell-outta-you good, but they were often overshadowed by the cheesefest in the rest of it.

Mediumfan

Yeah, there is a cheapness to it- 'campy' as you say. And that's what gives it that grimy, gritty flavor- they really don't give a fuck. Its trashy and explicit and not well constructed like Cronenberg- NoE is miles away from that- but remember the show got that stamped as their style and the movie reflected it. But the show- like Medium- has fuck ups cause of the speed it was created at. It wasn't well sculpted or anything- and when I recall scenes like 'you wanna get high?' I figure the dialogiue and even the fucking storyline wasn't even important- its all about the visuals and the slick effects they were experimenting with. Horror is shock. At least this type- its purely visual. Its like a relationship with only sex.

So yeah, the dialogue and acting and all that sucked and why excuse Patricia- it all sucked but crazy graphic shit was what it was about.

Like punk I have mentioned, and hip-hop- cause those both forms of music are parrallel in many ways i think. Punk music was shitty- fuzzed, dirty sounding not with fancy digital bit-crusher' or phaser effects but simply cause their amp was busted. Sex Pistols sucked at guitar, musically they were elementary yet they never cared cause the music was a platform- a foundation through which they can carry their message. They grew up in London ghetto with garbage stacked 6 stories high along the street. Basically- they were pissed off motherfuckers. So the used music/ sound/ to express their political views.

Its like that with Freddy and horror- fuck the acting and classical depth of the story- this isn't Shakespeare- its fucking shoving 20,000 syringes in some bitch in a sleazy alleyway and telling her he wants to get high.

But NoE makes it up in dropping some of the illest effects I have ever seen including movies in this century. I bet many directors still cannot recreate that melting cycle- or those kids coming out of New York Film Academy would never be able to make people fly given the technology in 80s. These guys had a understanding of film- the actual piece of film. The fucked with splicing and flicker rates and warped chemicals to create all these psychedilc effects we are seeing. The tweaked their films/ produced their effects physically cause the computer was primitive back then.

Anyways- my point is: don't talk shit about NoE.

cexcean

Freddy Krueger has hijacked me fucking thread!

Gonna give you all a cexcean 8 ;)

So to combine both topics I'll mention that the original NoE film boasted a score by Charles Bernstein.

Bernstein's down'n'dirty 70's drive-in exploitation scores got him noticed, then he hooked up with occasional collaborator Wes Craven.

He also also worked with Craven on Deadly Friend.

1981's "The Entity", is arguably his best score, and also of note is his score for Stephen King's "Cujo".

Since the early 80's he's moved mostly to working on TV and cable TV projects.

- TB

PS - Someone pass the narco's

OH FUCK!! Did I sign my name 'cexcean'

I'm possesed!!!!

Did Charles Bernstein have a mustache? Cause the Berenstein Bears once met another bear at the carnival with a mustache. And Miguel Sandoval in Patricia Arquette's show Medium who plays the District Attorney also has a mustache. Which links Bernstein to Wes Craven cause he has always been Craven for a mustache and he directed Nightmare on Elm St. Which kinda sounds like 'Nightmare Before Christmas' and Christmas colors are red and green like Freddy's shirt and his blades are like Wolverine and thats Thomas Logan's territory- you take it from here pal.

I'm sorry I dropped the narcos. I was passing it to you and then I dropped it on that dude's mustache.

how many degrees was that? 180?

sveinx

To get back on track, TB. I went on a bit of a music bender today and bought a bunch of CDs, including The Mist soundtrack, as well as a few others.

scan0002-2.jpgscan0001-3.jpg

Look what else I found.

scan0003-1.jpg

Kewl, huh?

Thanks for the tips about those scores. They're all freakin' fantastic. The Mist is awesome, and both Gladiator scores are off the hook! Love Hans Zimmer. Thanks again.

mediumfan

Hans Zimmer is heavy.

And Lisa Gerrard has the most ethereal and beautiful voice. Like Tim mentioned- she is the singer for Dead Can Dance and put out one of the finest albums ever called 'Spirit Chaser'

she also does some guest vocals on Frontline Assembly side project Delerium's record called 'Karma' for those on an ethno-electro- industrial tip.

and to get back on track-

mustaches.

sveinx