Sign in to follow this  
DrPhibes

Frank Frazetta

Guest AdminGuyX

Frank is an icon for a reason! And I'm not sure he ever fully appreciated the impact he had on comics. Maybe I'm wrong, I never met him, but I did watch the documentary (Fire and Ice) they did on him that aired on HBO last year, and he seemed quite humble to me. Very down to earth and interesting.

And also a bad ass too. I mean, he learned to paint with his other hand after a stroke. That's one in a million determination and balls if you ask me.

Definately one of the best ever, and that will ever be!

Being a REH Conan fan, I'm also by default a Frazetta fan.

The importance of his covers for the opoularity of Conan cannot be overstated.

The colors are off (way yellow) on this, but Frazetta's The Destroyer has to be my favorite painting or piece of art - all time.

FrankFrazetta-Conan-the-Destroyer-1.jpg

I'd kill to have a museum quality print of that hanging in my studio.

I used to have the $5 poster in a frame hanging on my wall back in the day.

One of the most powerful images ever.

I'm not normally a fan of when Frazetta goes back in and "fixes" paintings he's not happy with.

But in this case he put the original version to shame.

- TB

I always thought his poster for From Dusk Till Dawn was pretty cool, too bad it wasn't used.

frank_frazetta_fromdusktilldown.jpg

Frank is an icon for a reason! And I'm not sure he ever fully appreciated the impact he had on comics. Maybe I'm wrong, I never met him, but I did watch the documentary (Fire and Ice) they did on him that aired on HBO last year, and he seemed quite humble to me. Very down to earth and interesting.

And also a bad ass too. I mean, he learned to paint with his other hand after a stroke. That's one in a million determination and balls if you ask me.

Definately one of the best ever, and that will ever be!

If not THE best ever, period. At least in the category of genre painters. And had Frazetta lived in the time of the Renaissance I don't think it's any kind of stretch of the imagination to assume that he could have gone toe to toe with any of the masters. We're lucky. We all grew up while this great Lion was still producing. In a way, we got to see it happen.

And to politely correct my esteemed colleague, The documentary which Noeland describes above is in fact, Frazetta: Painting With Fire. It aired on HBO, Sundance channel, IFC, etc . . . It's available new on DVD for around $15.00.

Fire And Ice (1983) is the animated film Frazetta produced and co-wrote with Ralph Bakshi, Gerry Conway, and Roy Thomas. Directed by Ralph Bakshi, Fire And Ice was the first and only film to attempt to bring Frazetta's vision to the screen. Great little anecdotes about this on the documentary with Bakshi hanging out with Frazetta. Also fun little asides and comments from other legendary artists who's careers were directly impacted by the master's work. Bernie Wrightson, Dave Stevens, Mike Kaluta, and Mark Schultz all weigh in on how they were blown away by little "Fritz" from Brooklyn.

- TB

And to politely correct my esteemed colleague, The documentary which Noeland describes above is in fact, Frazetta: Painting With Fire. It aired on HBO, Sundance channel, IFC, etc . . . It's available new on DVD for around $15.00.

Fire And Ice (1983) is the animated film Frazetta produced and co-wrote with Ralph Bakshi, Gerry Conway, and Roy Thomas. Directed by Ralph Bakshi, Fire And Ice was the first and only film to attempt to bring Frazetta's vision to the screen. Great little anecdotes about this on the documentary with Bakshi hanging out with Frazetta. Also fun little asides and comments from other legendary artists who's careers were directly impacted by the master's work. Bernie Wrightson, Dave Stevens, Mike Kaluta, and Mark Schultz all weigh in on how they were blown away by little "Fritz" from Brooklyn.

- TB

Tim,

Noeland is actually partially correct in that when Blue Underground released Fire & Ice on DVD, it was released as two disc set. The second disc was the Painting with Fire documentary. Hence the probable confusion.

Eerie thing is that I was flipping through my DVD folder today (prior to reading this post) and paused on the Painting with Fire dvd and made a mental note to watch it again some time.

Andrew

Tim,

Noeland is actually partially correct in that when Blue Underground released Fire & Ice on DVD, it was released as two disc set. The second disc was the Painting with Fire documentary. Hence the probable confusion.

Andrew

Shit howdy, I gotta get me one of them. I had Fire and Ice on Laserdisc. I don't have a copy of Painting With Fire. Now I can kill me two birds with one plastic transaction ;)

- TB

Shit howdy, I gotta get me one of them. I had Fire and Ice on Laserdisc. I don't have a copy of Painting With Fire. Now I can kill me two birds with one plastic transaction ;)

- TB

That you can my friend. That you can.

Report back and tell me if you managed to keep a straight face listening to Bakshi's commentary on Fire and Ice.

;)

Andrew