Sign in to follow this  
xNLx

Mike Wieringo

jareksolo.jpg

Mike Wieringo was, and still is, a truly great artist that inspired me, and everyone else who favours a "cartoony" style, a lot. During his career, he proved you didn't need to draw complete realism, or be an insane detail freak to make it in the major comic business.

His passing was untimely, but his artwork will continue to live on and inspire many.

Mike was a friend and a real loss to the comics community.

Posted below is a my comment upon his passing that was written up for my friend Alex Ness' site "Land Of Frost"

"I met Mike back in the early 90's when he was trying to get work in comics.

This is just before he lifted off to work for the bigs. Mike was the very epitome of genuine. He loved to draw and had a great talent. To my recollection he never said a disparaging word about anyone. He was just happy as all get-out to be playing on the same field with all the artists he admired and loved. I think he felt like he had to pinch himself on a daily basis because he got to work in comics as a professional. That feeling of magic never left him. Drawing for Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Flash, etc . . . He never took it for granted. He was like a little kid living his dream. The humor he injected into his work was like looking through the art and into Wieringo's soul. He put a lot of himself on the page. And 100% of that work reflects joy. I remember Mike like Will Ferrell's character in "Elf". I remember when I first saw it, I was like "Oh my God, it's like Farrell studied Mike Wieringo to shape this character". He had this innocent kid-like wonder that was so very endearing. That's one of the many things that made him so special.

My deepest condolences to Mike's family and friends.

Take heart though, he had a ball."

Love to see more of his artwork posted here.

A tribute to our friend.

- tb

Guest AdminGuyX

I know this may sound silly, but I watched Bionic Woman last night, and I could not get away from thinking, over and over again, that Michelle Ryan, the star of the show looked like a living version of a Ringo drawing. Her features are so close to the kind of features he drew into his women. He and Chris Sprouse. It was eerie a few times for me.

Love his work. Always will. He will be missed on the funny pages, no doubt about it!