Sign in to follow this  
Esco

The Mechanic

This was actually not bad. One of the better of Statham/s action flicks. It takes everything that was cool about the first (except Charles BRonson) and then gives it a wiping with the modern film gloss. The film still manages to hold onto some of the grit though. I'll see it again.

Yeah it was pretty good. Good action mixed with some nice dark humour. I thought Statham and Ben Foster bounced off each other nicely too.

I used to love Statham. Lock Stock and Snatch were classic. Somewhere along the line, he just lost it. Not big fan of the Transporter films and less so for the Crank series. The Expendables was fun, but for me, The Bank Job was the only really good film I've seen him in for a while.

The trailer for this makes me think he might be coming around again. Ben Foster on the other hand, that guy has been in some pretty good roles. If the wind and snow lets up, I'm planning on seeing this on Saturday.

I'm a big fan of Lock, Stock, and Snatch and I like Action films despite the shortcut to storytelling so many of them employ so for me there's the Statham in the Guy Ritchie flicks and the Bank Job and then there's Action Statham!

John, I never disliked Statham in anything, I just wasn't a fan of the hokiness of the the Transporter flicks. The first was okay, the second was just stupi and the third annoyed me. The Mechanic is who I wanted The Transporter to be.

CBS films really scored with this and Faster. Someone has an angle on the classic Bronson badassery that needs to be seen on the screen. I bet these guys could crank out an amazing Jane flick!

Saw this yesterday, and I did enjoy it. The 1972, Charles Bronson original, in my mind, still shines a bit brighter. But I did enjoy this movie alot. Statham is cool and as Fred said, not the least bit hokie. Ben Foster really steals the show here though. See it just for him, you'll dig it.

John, I never disliked Statham in anything, I just wasn't a fan of the hokiness of the the Transporter flicks. The first was okay, the second was just stupi and the third annoyed me. The Mechanic is who I wanted The Transporter to be.

That's how I feel. I like Statham, but not some of the choices he makes, but I can see why he did it. Transporter took him from doing UK indie films to US franchise material. They made him a headliner. I think part of the biggest dissapointment on the Transporter films for me is that Luc Besson was writer/producer on these films. Guess I was looking for a bit more Leon: The Professional quality from them.

I agree. The second Transporter, I don't know, it seemed like they did it in a weekend. Written, cast, shot and scored. The third was only slightly bettter. The Crank films, for me, are like getting irresponsably wasted with a camera recording it. Fun to watch. Once. The Mechanic is definitly a step up from most of Statham's action fare.