Sign in to follow this  
kdedu

Black Swan

Saw Black Swan last night. Holey Moley what a ride! A Hitchcockian opera about the fragility of artists. Yes, it's over-the-top. Yes, it's not entirely believable (not any more believable than Cthulhu ;) ). But for what it is - it's perfect.

I haven't seen much talk about it here. I have my suspicions why but I'd love to have an honest discussion about it.

Who's seen it & whaddyathink?

If you're not going to see it or have no interest, what's turning you off?

Quite the little mind fuck. I liked it lots.

Fun, eh? I just hope people can look beyond the pink & tutus and see it for the good, old-fashioned, psychological horror that it is.

Fun, eh? I just hope people can look beyond the pink & tutus and see it for the good, old-fashioned, psychological horror that it is.

It's not just psychological though, there's a nice bit of body horror going on in this too. It has me looking at ballet in a completely new light.

It's not just psychological though, there's a nice bit of body horror going on in this too. It has me looking at ballet in a completely new light.

I know - the horror is the best part - very existential, like the art form itself!

Now that you're intrigued by the dance, I can't help but unload.

Check out the latest Wim Wenders film about the amazing and intense Pina Bausch.

Oh, and if you're in NYC, you must try to see some performances at the Joyce. I recommend either Buglisi (she danced w/ Martha Graham), Doug Varrone (very athletic) or Cunningham. Cunningham was a god of modern dance. This season will be particularly intense. He died last year and his troupe is disbanding forever in Dec 2011. I'm jealous that I'm no where near NYC anymore or I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I was blessed with seeing Cunningham in person at his NYC studio in 1996. I was there w/ a friend who was taking a class. We were quite early. We peeked into the huge, spare studio. There was Merce Cunningham, on a stool against a wall in the corner, asleep. An graying male dancer, with every limb wrapped, was rehearsing a piece. A relentless combination he worked over and over till it was right. Then he picked up with the rest of the piece that carried him zooming downstage towards the door where my friend and I were spying. I swear, my friend and I still have marks in each others hands from where our nails clawed each other in recognition. It was Baryshnikov! An amazing memory I hold very dear to this day.

Finally saw it tonight. It was as good as everyone has been saying. Its like a female version of The Wrestler combined with Jacobs Ladder, which makes for a very good mix. ;)