mediumfan

Stephen King's "Dark Tower" set for movie, TV series

Just read this and my fangirl fantasies started going wild.

Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" -- comprising seven novels, short stories and comic books -- will come to life in three films and a television series. The unique deal will have Ron Howard directing the first film in the trilogy and the first season of the TV series, Universal Pictures and NBC Universal Television Entertainment announced Wednesday afternoon.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/201...ian-grazer.html

Who would love to see Thomas Jane as Roland Deschain? And with Ron Howard directing? Brian Grazer producing?? And Akiva Goldsman writing and producing??!!! OMFreakinGawd!!!!

Stephen King, Ron Howard, and Thomas Jane together!!! That's like an ultimate fantasy film!!! I would so LOVE to see that happen. Let's start a campaign right now to get Thomas to play Roland!!!

Really? I love Ron Howard's work. And he and Brian Grazer ( Imagine Entertainment) have done some great movies. Akiva Goldsman might be the only question mark for me, but I still think with Ron Howard directing, it could be a great film and Thomas would be fantastic as Roland.

Remember in the opening sequence of The Mist, when Thomas' character was working on a poster for Dark Tower? I started thinking then that he would be great in the part.

I'm a fan of Ron Howard, but I didn't really care for the Da Vinci films. They were okay, but I didn't feel they were up to snuff with some of Ron's early work. Still, I'd like to see what he can do with these.

So far, we've gone from Darabont, to Abrahms and now Howard. Nice to see that they are going after talent for this project.

Guest AdminGuyX

Like I posted elsewhere on the interwebs, if Howard brings the same style he used in "The Missing" to this, I would probably enjoy it. A series on NBC doesn't do a thing for me though. I can't imagine the series would tie in directly with the films because whoever stars in the films isn't going to do a series too. I would have to imagine the series would be about Roland as a young man in Gilead, more like the comic books from marvel.

From what I read the series and films will be connected and who ever stars as Roland would appear in the TV series. Though the apparent plan is to do a season with a young Roland.

Like I posted elsewhere on the interwebs, if Howard brings the same style he used in "The Missing" to this, I would probably enjoy it. A series on NBC doesn't do a thing for me though. I can't imagine the series would tie in directly with the films because whoever stars in the films isn't going to do a series too. I would have to imagine the series would be about Roland as a young man in Gilead, more like the comic books from marvel.

I think it would be cool to do both the films and the series with the same actor. For enough money, they can make that happen.

I really like the idea of Javier Bardem as Roland.

It would definitely be bad ass. If they went with someone other than Jane, Bardem wouldn't disappoint.

I'm just going through a rollercoaster of emotions. I was two weeks ago in my favourite hometown and visited the Marché du livre ancien (ancient book flea market). There I bought this graphic novel: Dark Tower by Stephen King... I am absolutely not surprised to find a thread about it in here.

Reading it, I grew very found of the idea of Renegade producing a movie with it... to just find out right now on IMDB that a series will have a start in 2020 already!

This seat is apparently taken...

Didn’t they do a film of that already?  With Idris Elba as I remember?  Also remember it being a bit ‘meh’ but would love to see the Renegades get their hands on it!

Just checked out the movie you mean, with Idris Elba and appropriately called Dark Tower: it is inspired by the Stephen King graphic novels but is no adaptation of them. I saw 2-3 pictures on IMDB that were indeed very "modern style" and opposite to the western-fantasy style of the graphic novel. So there's hoping here, even if a series will be released soon... ?