Lord Dubu

The Five Legendary Sisters of the Laughing Dokgebi

five_sisters.jpg

Due to popular demand (OK two of you) I've decided to open this thread dedicated to my progress on "The Five Legendary Sisters of the Laughing Dokgebi". Before anyone asks a Dokgebi is a classical Korean monster akin to an ogre or troll. They typically are horned thugs armed with spiked clubs that horde treasure. In the context of the story it's just the name of a gang... it's not a monster story.

The story centers around five women formerly members of "The Laughing Dokgebi". Each has come to an epiphany about the utter wrongness of their previous brigand lifestyle and now seek to do enough good deeds to redeem themselves of their pasts. This is made complicated by the fact that they are all still wanted fugitives but now have the added bonus of being hunted by their former gang as well. They operate from a world of shadows, appearing just long enough to save the day and then disappearing just as quickly as they arrived. They're a punked out cross between the A-Team and Charlie's Angels.

five_sisters_banner_2point0.jpg

theboss.jpg

The Boss isn't in the "Pilot" issue of "The Five Legendary Sisters of the Laughing Dokgebi" but that doesn't diminish his role. Without him there'd be no Five Legendary Sisters. He's the mastermind behind the gang. I'm starting the concepts with him (despite his absence from the most immediate comic) because I don't understand him yet. It's not OK for him just to be a bad-guy for bad-guy's sake. I need him to be the Raz'Al'Gul kind of villain. The sort of guy who when he talks about his ideology you say "Hey this guy's got a point... no wait a minute. He's a DICK!". I find the best way to learn a character's motivation is to draw him/her until he/she finally decides to tell me who they are.

five_sisters_banner_2point2.jpg

Updated the face details on Trickster and Axeman's wife... hated the first pass... these are much closer to the intended characters.

theboss.jpg

The Boss isn't in the "Pilot" issue of "The Five Legendary Sisters of the Laughing Dokgebi" but that doesn't diminish his role. Without him there'd be no Five Legendary Sisters. He's the mastermind behind the gang. I'm starting the concepts with him (despite his absence from the most immediate comic) because I don't understand him yet. It's not OK for him just to be a bad-guy for bad-guy's sake. I need him to be the Raz'Al'Gul kind of villain. The sort of guy who when he talks about his ideology you say "Hey this guy's got a point... no wait a minute. He's a DICK!". I find the best way to learn a character's motivation is to draw him/her until he/she finally decides to tell me who they are.

I'm wondering if the Boss might be an evil version of Charlie from Charlie's Angels. There are a lot of options you can use to help him validate his beliefs to the audience and still make him an evil bastard. You could give him either a mercenary code of ethics, make him a pure capitalist, or maybe go with a Nietzsche approach that people are sheep to be used by those that recognize they are above rules and laws.

Great stuff and looking forward to more,

Mike

I'm wondering if the Boss might be an evil version of Charlie from Charlie's Angels. There are a lot of options you can use to help him validate his beliefs to the audience and still make him an evil bastard. You could give him either a mercenary code of ethics, make him a pure capitalist, or maybe go with a Nietzsche approach that people are sheep to be used by those that recognize they are above rules and laws.

Great stuff and looking forward to more,

Mike

I have described him as such actually. But a better analogy is Fagan from 'Oliver' by virtue of the size of his organization. He either believes his own rhetoric or has found it appeals to his "soldiers". But he preaches a freedom from Confucian strictures of society through the liberating act of breaking the law in ways that also coincidentally make him wealthy :).

Thanks so much for stopping by. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was reading this at all :)

I have described him as such actually. But a better analogy is Fagan from 'Oliver' by virtue of the size of his organization. He either believes his own rhetoric or has found it appeals to his "soldiers". But he preaches a freedom from Confucian strictures of society through the liberating act of breaking the law in ways that also coincidentally make him wealthy :).

Thanks so much for stopping by. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was reading this at all :)

Oh, we're reading, just not always commenting. ;)

Doss... Kdedu...

Thanks!

So next up on the illustration list is my first group shot of the sisters.

Then after that I'm going to do a series of larger pieces as a series of Backstory teasers.

I'm planning on going to SDCC this year to pimp my book (I'm going to print a limited run of the pilot and hand it out for free at the con) and feel the best way to get into the con and recover some of my cost going out there is to buy spots on the art gallery (if they're doing it this year). So I'll be doing frame-able concept art for that purpose. And the first 5 will be these backstory teasers.

Each sister has a past and her own demons (errr doggebi) to struggle with. The backstory teasers will try to encapsulate those backstories in a non spoiler way. But more importantly give me some practice finding my environment style for the book.

WIP: "The Tale of DalNim" (first pencil pass 5x7).

tale_of_dalnim_WIP_000.jpg

To raise money for my trip to San Diego for Comic-con 2011 I'm going to sell a series of frame-able renders. So the next 5 renders you see from me are going to be back-story teasers for each of the five sisters.

Guest AdminGuyX

It just gets more cool with every new image posted. I'm loving the feel, the style, and can't wait to read it.

kdedu, thanks for starting page 2 of the thread!

noel, thanks. Can't wait to finish it myself :)

This is a render style test that didn't exactly go the way I want... I clealy need to go darker with the action lines next time.

bustyoojinwon004.jpg

You've got something incredibly special here Heath. Can't wait until this gets out there for the world to get a hold of.