Tim Bradstreet

Frazetta - the LEGEND passes away at 82

Just heard that Frank passed away. Looking for confirmation and hoping this isn't some horrible hoax.

- TB

Not saying that my word is confirmation but I heard the same sad news...

He passed away from a stroke. He had recently made peace with his family regarding the museum incident.

That's really a shock. I knew he wasn't in good health, but it's equally sad that all this negativity has been surrounding him in the last few months.

Yeah, it all played out in real-time on Facebook this morning, just dodged back in here to confirm but it looks like you guys beat me to it.

Thank you.

I'm pretty crushed.

Suspected something like this coming but Frank had persevered through a LOT over the past 20 years.

He's a Lion, but sadly the king has passed, yes.

I jotted down some additional thoughts on my blog - http://timbradstreet.typepad.com/the_online_world_of_timot/

Damn.

- tb

By the way, I'm going to leave this topic here for now.

Frazetta is an important figure in film and comics too.

May switch it over at some point to the Artists We Love section but for now this will be home for folks who want to pay their respects.

Thanks - Tim

Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn. I'll remember him as the amazing talent he was.

Here's a look at one of the Canaveral Press TARZAN pieces by Frank - This is the one I have posted on my blog.

I was lucky enough a few years back to obtain some original scans of several Frazetta ink illustrations.

Whoever scanned them didn't know what the fuck they were doing, BUT after a few hard hours of cleanup I managed to get some of these to the point that they look like truly honest representations of the originals, only cleaner cause I corrected all the imperfections, things like white out in the margins, small scratches, ink fingerprint/smudges, etc . . .

All that but I didn't fuck with the actual images at all, the images are straight up the real deal, only killed the detritus.

I'd go so far as to say that outside of the actual original or film of the original, this is the most accurate 'copy' you will likely ever see of this image.

I'll post a few more if there is interest.

This one was my favorite - presented here a bit bigger than on the blog.

Hope you like - TB

Frazettabw2.jpg

Wow, thanks Tim. Absolutely, please post more!

This is a big bummer. Especially since his children haven't been behaving well lately. I was looking for a favorite image for my FB pix and ran across some hi-res scans of his early romance comics. Great stuff, not what he was eventually known for, but even this stuff is powerful. RIP Frank.

These first 2 look to be scans from a reproduction, most likely from Frank Frazetta: The Living Legend.

They look like the same versions from my book. Not sure if you can make it out on these jpegs but you can see the dot screen in the gray wash areas, a sure sign these are not scans off originals.

Even so they are damn nice -

Not sure of the titles -

LOVE this one.

Frazettabw3.jpg

The ink work on the Saurian's wings is amazing. Well, that AND the whole piece ;)

Frazettachainedsauron.jpg

Now here are true scans. I left most of these only marginally cleaned up so you could taste the original a bit.

Even down to Frank's classic coffee stains and spills ;)

These are remarkable cause you can really see the shifts in mediums he used while whipping out a work.

And with these you can truly get a sense of the thrift with which he knocked these things out.

Frank has said many times when asked how long it takes him to create some of his most well known work . . "Most of the paintings I'm most famous for were created in a day."

You can see it applies to his ink work too. His gestures are quick, a flick of the brush here a flick there, and he creates in just a few hours what most of us spend a few days trying to do.

The absolute BALLS and confidence he had is part of what made him unique. The uncanny vision guided him, but man, the CONFIDENCE. You cannot teach it.

Frazettaguide.jpg

Frazettascifi.jpg

FrazettaSwerpentBW.jpg

And here we have a nice scan of one of his later pencil works from '91, featuring Tarzan.

TarzanGuerilla.jpg

- TB

Here's a nice scan of the splash page to WEREWOLF! From Creepy Magazine #1.

This was Frank's last sequential story.

FrazettaWerewolf.jpg

- TB

Hell of an artist he was

Guest AdminGuyX

I always thought Frazetta was invincible. I still can't believe he's gone. It just can't be true.

frazetta_deathdealercvr.jpg

This is the first Frazetta I ever saw, and to this day remains my favorite of his works. Not because it's iconic or well known. Because when I was about 8 or 9 years old I saw this in either heavy metal, or one of the other comic magazines Andy always had around, or maybe a poster he had up, and it floored me. Even at that young age I felt I knew this kind of character. The shadows, the eyes, the massive vultures hovering in the background all tells an incredibly compelling story. I was pulled into the imagery. I still am.

I used to sit and watch Andy paint, sketch, and draw with oil pastels, and I was enthralled by the process of taking a blank surface and creating something tangible, real, and alive. It was really all I wanted to do when I was a kid. I knew I'd wanted to draw since I could walk. Our mother Joyce is also a pretty damn good artist. There are certain moments, certain times that stick with you, and become connected to certain images. Frazetta does that. His work is so alive. It radiates energy and power. From a simple line drawing to a fully rendered painting, you do not forget his images. Ever.

I know Tim has mentioned that Frazetta is a huge influence on him, and that not many people can see it. I have a little story about that. I don't think I even told Tim this one.

Nailed to The Gun. The painting is a masterwork done by Tim and the amazing Fred Fields. I think I saw that at a convention for the first time. It will always make me think of Frazetta's above painting for a few reasons, but the main thing that connects them in my mind is a simple thing. In "nailed" they are eagles, not vultures, but they invoked the same feeling from me. The same kind of life and power radiates from nailed to the gun that I always felt when I saw this death dealer painting. It's a simple thing, I know, but it matters.

Frazetta will forever be a man I admire for many reasons beyond his creative skills. He was a tough S.O.B., and by all accounts a complete gentleman.

Great stuff Noeland.

I have a good idea of how deeply Frazetta was ingrained in you ;)

I'm moving the topic back over to Artists We Love since it's getting lost in the maelstrom of our most active zone ;)

Want to keep this one in our consciousness for a while.

- TB

Courtesy of Joe Jusko -

Some of the original Frazetta - Conan paperback covers published by Lancer.

Frazetta_CONAN_PB__s_by_JoeJusko.jpg

- TB

I love his Conan covers and the Death Dealer images :)

As a subscriber of David Farland's writing newsletter "Daily Kick in the Pants" I got this e-mail today and I thought it might be interesting to you guys:

David Farland’s Daily Kick in the Pants – Helping Others

Frank Frazetta passed away earlier this week. If you’re familiar with the illustrations that he painted for book covers, you know that he was a genius, one of the greatest illustrators of his time. What you may not know about him is that he was also a wonderful person.

I worked with Frank in connection with the Writers and Illustrators of the Future contest, and I was always impressed by how genuinely helpful he was with new illustrators. Every time that I called—it didn’t matter if he had paint on his hands and had to clean up first—he’d answer the phone promptly, and if I needed an article written for an anthology, he’d turn it in on time and in a professional manner.

He showed the same courtesy to new illustrators. When we met with the Illustrators of the Future winners, Frank was tireless in his work with them, offering tips and advice. Many times I would see him working with students from nine in the morning until ten at night.

Perhaps a dozen years ago, I happened to be in Atlanta for DragonCon, and I spotted the work of a young artist in the gallery. I was admiring it, and so I took his card so that I could pass it on to Tom Doherty at Tor. (Note: I gave Tom that card perhaps an hour later, but he had already beat me to the punch. He said, “I just bought that painting for a Conan cover!) In any case, the artist came hurrying up and I pointed out how he had obviously learned a great deal from Frank Frazetta. Frank was a genius in his use of colors, more subtle than Chagall yet just as brilliant, but what really impressed me is what I will call his creation of “fantastic anatomy.” Frank devised impressive- looking bone structures and musculature for some of his characters and then put them into motion, creating anatomy that made people approach Platonic ideals of how a hero might appear. For example, many young people today struggle at the gym to get a “six-pack,” but Frank often gave his heroes extra ribs and musculature in the stomach, creating “nine-packs.” His characters never struck one as alien or odd, just as magnificent.

As I noted how this young illustrator had learned from Frazetta, he smiled and said, “Yes, I wrote him a letter and told him that I wished that I could study with him, and do you know what he did? I promised never to tell anyone, but he put me up at his house for six weeks and tutored me!”

Well, I kept my promise and never told anyone about it. Frank was one of the foremost illustrators in the world, and I could imagine the stampede that would follow if people knew just how generous he could be.

Frank knew something about art: sometimes the techniques that we use aren’t at all obvious to others, and so it helps if we share, if we pass them on. Otherwise, the light that is in us might well die with us.

Each of you have an opportunity to share what you know, too. You have your writing groups perhaps, or your writing friends. Make it a point to share.

http://www.davidfarland.net

And two little tributes:

http://www.omnivoracious.com/2010/05/frank-frazetta-rip.html

http://violentworldofparker.com/?p=2951

It is so sad he didn't live to see this, but it seems Robert Rodriguez might deliver a tribute in the form of a most welcome movie: A live action "Fire and Ice".

My story's no different than most of the people who have posted here.

I was in 6th grade. Hanging around my local funny book store and I saw those Conan paperback cover's and bought a couple, read them but kept just stareing back at those covers. No matter what page you were on the whole story was right there on the cover.

I got my hands on the books, The Fantastic Art..Vol. 1, 2, 3, and I was away. I could get lost in them for hours.

Those paintings were alive. You could see them breathe, feel the tension in the air. Like just before a thunderstorm.

Frazetta helped me escape my screaming father, and my failing math scores, and my crummy neighborhood.

His art has inspired me so many ways that have nothing to do with art.

I still get the same buzz looking at his stuff today.