Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

Bad Planet Volume II

That's right, I said it.

Volume II is finally out of the starting gates.

It's going to blow you away, believe me . . . I've read it ;)

I want to officially welcome LEGENDARY writer (and also incredible artist), Bruce Jones into the RAW fold.

With Steve Niles having moved on to other things Tom and I collectively scratched our heads in wonder when the subject of a replacement writer to jam with Jane came up late last year.

And it's funny, we both gave this some major thought over the span of a few weeks and still had nuthin! Nothing!

Then one night on the phone the question of that tantalizing conundrum was once again plaguing us.

Funny because in the midst of our conversation I had an epiphany, a lightning strike. Tom asked it flat out . . . Who are we going to bring in, and then a long pause . . . .

Then I said "I've got it! I know the PERFECT guy! Holy shit, how come I didn't think of this before?! Another pause . . . .

Then Tom says . . . "Bruce Jones".

And I say . . . YEAH!!! Bruce fucking Jones!. We must be reading each other's mind.

It's so perfect it almost hurts.

Bruce Jones was a HUGE influence on both Tom and I.

I couldn't tell you how many times his name has come up between the two of us in everyday geek-like conversation.

Shit-howdy, when we have described to people what our influence for the kind of books RAW does, what our company is all about, we say EC, Warren, and guys like Bruce Jones!

We were both introduced to Jones' writing and art back in the 70's when BJ had a sweet run on Warren's Creepy Magazine, and then again in the 80's we were ga-ga over Bruce's twin anthology titles, Twisted Tales, and Alien Worlds, published by Pacific Comics and then by Eclipse.

Goddammit now we got him. It was easy ;)

We just called him up and asked him. He'd seen the book, he knew what we were about. He said yes immediately.

Then the search for artist. It's been going on for months behind the scenes here.

Jim Daly was going to be too busy in his day to day duties as Senior Concept Artist at High Moon Studios to take on the next chapter.

DAMN.

So the search began.

You have any idea how hard it is to find great artists who can handle a 6-issue mini?

It's a fucking pain in the crank.

Took a long time. We had a guy (I won't mention names yet) but he had to back out at the last minute. SHIT!

Then we were scrambling because the scripts are done and in the polish stage. We want to get rolling with this like YESTERDAY.

Then I got lucky. I saw this dude's stuff and was blown away. Holy shit, I hadda show him to Jane.

TJ loved his stuff. We went out to him and as serendipity would have it, HE WAS AVAILABLE and WAY into it.

During our talks we discovered we'd found another lost brother. This dude is into the same shit we are.

And HOLY MOSES is he talented. Yer gonna cry when I post some of his stuff.

The bad news is . . . I was making myself available to ink. TJ and I thought we could achieve solid continuity that way.

But I also wanted to leave that decision with the artist we picked. We gave him the choice.

He chose to pencil and ink himself. Good decision. He's amazing. Yer not going to miss me one little bit ;)

OK, so it's really just bad news for me cause I'd love to jam with this guy mucho mas.

I'll get my crack when we jam on the cover to issue #1. The interiors are all his.

Grant should be back to color.

Sorry to tease but I have to hold off announcing our guy until we get into this a little more.

Don't want to jinx it.

Anyway, yes, Bad Planet Volume II is officially in progress.

Stand by for a shit-load more.

Hell yeah! As much as I would liked to see Daly come back, some new blood ain't a bad thing.

Don't worry Tim, you can tell me who he is, I can keep a secret ;)

That is wonderful, Tim! I can't wait to find out who the new guy is. Can you give us a hint? ;)

Fucking great news on getting Bruce Jones.

Also, do you guys have some new people coming on board for the covers?

wonderful news man!

TB - You know how I love the textures in your work? It's almost the same when you share the scoop with us in signature Bradstreet detail!

Looking forward to seeing BPII come to fruition.

Do you have any idea for a target date (fall or winter)? I first time you mentioned Bruce Jones, I was over the moon. Niles is good, but this is Bruce Jones here! Can't wait to see the new art. JD3 was amazing, so if this guy is anything like you say, it'll be nothing short of great.

Too bad your not back to ink, but I was thinking, why not do another flashback and have you do a handfull of sequentials? It's been a while, and I'd love to see you take another stab at it.

One more thing: will we get another 3D issue in this run?

Heheh, thanks Kwiat ;)

Do you have any idea for a target date (fall or winter)? I first time you mentioned Bruce Jones, I was over the moon. Niles is good, but this is Bruce Jones here! Can't wait to see the new art. JD3 was amazing, so if this guy is anything like you say, it'll be nothing short of great.

Too bad your not back to ink, but I was thinking, why not do another flashback and have you do a handfull of sequentials? It's been a while, and I'd love to see you take another stab at it.

One more thing: will we get another 3D issue in this run?

Web-monster -

Not sure yet when the first issue will hit the stands. We're just getting off the ground and our artist has not yet begun pages.

My thinking is that we will attempt to get the first issue out into stores by November if not sooner.

Thing is, we will want to have a few issues in the can before we solicit so we don't make the same mistake we made last time.

Also, not exactly sure what format we're going to employ here. Independent comics are a tough sell. We're looking at all options.

My hope is that we will stick it out and do BP Vol 2 as we did volume 1, as individual comics X 6 issues.

We just have to get double-prepared to promote like nuts when the time comes. It'll be almost entirely grass roots.

We hope you'll all give us a hand when we get ready to roll.

I'll miss working with Jim Daly, HELL, I'll miss actually working on the book! But we're in good hands.

The possibility exists that I will contribute in another way besides a cover or two ;) We'll see.

3D? Yeah, that'd be badass. We haven't broached the subject yet, but knowing Tom? Yeah, there'll be 3D :)

And yeah, BRUCE JONES. THAT guy ain't fucking around ;)

- TB

Last time, you had stuff all over the net, it was a bit hard to track some of it down. Hell, some of it I'm still finding (like the vid I dug up a few months back). I've been bringing the hardcover into work to get some interest among the young folk who now have interest in comics due to the film boom.

If you do some one-sheet ads to print in other Image books, you should get a downloadable file on the site, that way I can had them out to my book shop and plaster them around town. And if you do another video, I'll make sure to post it on myspace and facebook. The invasion will be full scale ;)

In way of promoting the RAW books in gerneral, I was talking to someone at work this morining about McFarlane toys and how they seem to have lost that "touch" they had about 5-10 years back.

Todd had the hottest and coolest toys on the market, but now the market has caught up. I think the slack came when he focused more on sports toys and re-packaging classics. I want monsters and aliens (here's where RAW comes in ;) )

I don't know what you have to do to get figures made, weather RAW has to foot the cost, or if you just sell off the rights to the characters for the toy license, but I think a RAW series would kick some serious ass, and put Todd back in the market of making cool creature based toys. Between Alien Pig Farm and Bad Planet, there are enough aliens to please. How cool would it be to have the Convict hanging out on your desk, axe in swing with attachable death spiders clinging to him? Or the frog alien, or JD3 fave, the Mole-ian?

Get some of those in the shops, and I'm sure you'll pick up some extra sales. Just an idea, but it was too good not to share.

I don't know what you have to do to get figures made, weather RAW has to foot the cost, or if you just sell off the rights to the characters for the toy license, but I think a RAW series would kick some serious ass, and put Todd back in the market of making cool creature based toys. Between Alien Pig Farm and Bad Planet, there are enough aliens to please. How cool would it be to have the Convict hanging out on your desk, axe in swing with attachable death spiders clinging to him? Or the frog alien, or JD3 fave, the Mole-ian?

Get some of those in the shops, and I'm sure you'll pick up some extra sales. Just an idea, but it was too good not to share.

Yes, that is such a genius idea! Great thinking! A RAW/McFarlane collaboration? I'm all for that!

I think this is definitely something Tim and Tom would consider. I hope.

Action figures is a whole new market to enter, but I bet Bad Planet and Alien Pig Farm toys would sell. I know I'd buy them up.

Just wanted to follow up with our official announcement at Comicon that artist, Greg Staples will be handling the art chores for Bad Planet Volume II.

If you aren't familiar with Greg's work then google the brilliant fucker ;)

Here's a tasty tidbit from his portfolio. This one convinced me outright that he was our man.

The Black Canaan -

TheBlackCanaan.jpg

Also, new news to report that our color artist on Volume II will be non other than Shaolin Cowboy's, Pete Doherty!

We'll miss having Grant onboard but Tom and I agreed that Greg could have some freedom with who he wanted coloring him.

We couldn't say no to Pete's work.

Staples is already nearly finished illustrating book 1, but we have a long way to go before we announce for solicitation. Sometime early 2011 methinks.

More soon.

Is Greg really out? That suck if it's true. The work you've shown so far has been outstanding.

Is it too early to ask who you have in mind to take over?

Sorry, should have posted this over here too:

http://www.mensfitness.com/blogs/entertain...ith-thomas-jane

Is it all written?

Yes. Yes it is. And issue 7 is done. I had an artist named Gregory Staples out of the UK — brilliant artist. He finished issue one and then he quit. The work that I ask for is incredibly demanding. Not a lot of artists are capable of it, and even fewer artists have the will or desire to continue with it. The money in comics as you know, or maybe as you don’t know, is not any good. So it’s really done for the love of something. It’s a miracle that this got finished, and we lost Greg because he said after the first issue, “This is way too hard and it’s not worth the money and you can’t pay me enough.” And I said, “What’s it going to take? How much money?” He said, “There is no money to pay me to finish this, it’s too much work."

It’s going to be around after I die, so it’s gotta be something that I really believe in. It costs me a lot of money. I break even on the books, but that’s it.

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, it sucks not only that he's gone, but that he quit because it was "too hard".

I can attest to artists being kind of moody pricks though. I suffer from it myself on occasion. I would not walk away from working with RAW though, mostly because I understand where Tom is coming from.

Shit, I hope the new artist is even better than Greg!

:)

I'm really anticipating Bad Planet Vol. II; can't wait to see how it all turns out!

That's a shame about Greg's exit. Agree w/ Noeland--walking away from RAW??? :blink:

Don't understand the situation about starting it & then saying, 'It's too much work.' I'm sure Tom & Co. made it clear upfront what he was getting himself into.

Any idea on who the new artist may be?

Love this quote of TJ's:

It’s going to be around after I die, so it’s gotta be something that I really believe in.

I second that. Artists can be pains in the ass'. It's tough to try and achieve greatness in any field but in art, shit, it seems like a bitch.

My problem is so many of the one's I try to work with want to do it to be the next big thing. They want to hitch their wagon and talent onto a sure thing, they don't want to waste their time on something that's not going to get the attention of the big two or movie people, even if they really like the idea and I understand that to a point.

No one likes to waste their time but doing something great on a good story has to be better than doing Vampire Cheerleaders Vs. Zombie Sluts from Temecula just because your friend wrote it and he's willing to pay the rate. (Vampires, Zombies and Sluts. Yeah actually I guess I would pay attention to that. Especially if Gulacy or Bradstreet did the art.)

Goddamnit I miss the days of Gulacy and Rude and the indy guys going out there and swinging for the fences to tell good stories GREAT. Like Wrightson's Frankenstein, Gulacy's Sabre, Rude's Nexus, Truman's Scout. Those guys had no assurances that those books would hit but they still put themselves out there and really went for it for those books. But it seems harder to find those guys who are really willing to get out there and make a statement about what they've got and where they can take it.

How about someone like Leonardo Manco?