Sign in to follow this  
Padre

The Punisher Video Game

Did anyone here play The Punisher video game that came out in 2005, the one that Tom did the voice over for? I haven’t seen it discussed anywhere else on the board.

I really liked it. It truly felt like you were playing as Frank and it was a fun, creative action game. It had some nice black humour as well (The funeral ambush being a great example). It even recreated the fight between The Russian and The Punisher in the apartment, which was nice.

The games plot was a nice mesh between the Garth Ennis comic and the 2004 film (The origins of Jigsaw in the game tie into the film directly). In a way it’s probably the closest thing to a sequel we’ll get to the 2004 film.

Tom’s voice in the game also demonstrates why he is the one true actor for the part. While I have nothing against Dolph or Ray Stevenson, its Tom's voice I hear when I read the comics. It’s the husky, gravelly quality that is just perfect for the character, like Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin’s horrible love child.

Heres the intro movie:

Our pal Jimmy Palmiotti wrote that game too.

It's a scream ain't it?

You gotta love the death by Pirana ;)

I know there are more than a few folks here that have the game and have raved about it.

I went through some of it once and it was badass. Tom's voice work was excellent, really gave the whole thing an extra layer of LEGIT.

- TB

Yeah I beat the game 3 times. Tom Jane's voice overs are wonderful. The gore is top notch. A Fun ass game to top it all off. Sonic Fuel does the score for the game and it is just such a fucking good theme for the Punisher.... here's a link to hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g15pLcXmxYw

It really works for the character. I want a sequel to this game.

-Raffi

I read a couple of months ago that they are going makeing a sequel... If they are, I hope Tom comes back.

There is another Punisher game that was released online for the PS3 called Punisher: No Mercy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO2QaIA_9EU&feature=fvw

I haven’t played it myself but the reviews for it have been mixed to bad. It’s an multiplayer online game. There is a story mode on it but I've heard it’s a bit of an afterthought and not that compelling. Anyone tried it?

There is another Punisher game that was released online for the PS3 called Punisher: No Mercy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO2QaIA_9EU&feature=fvw

I haven’t played it myself but the reviews for it have been mixed to bad. It’s an multiplayer online game. There is a story mode on it but I've heard it’s a bit of an afterthought and not that compelling. Anyone tried it?

Yeah, I wouldn't waste my time with it. It's bad, and I usually give games and movies alike atleast a fighting chance, but this one I played for 15 minutes, and it got old quick. It's funny, everything I've read about the game has something to the effect of "No, this isn't in anyway tied to Punisher: War Zone." Have a look for yourself.

Screenshots

Hmm, look familiar? I still say the first Punisher game is hands down the BEST comic book based video game that I've ever played. I loved it. I gotta say I've played it lik 8 times over, and I still find myself playing it every now and then.

Superbeast, I agree with everything you said about PWZ. The game is just an arena shooter, a lot like the old Unreal Tournament games. There is a story mode but it is basically 4 comic pages that are panned over and have voices reading the dialog balloons. It's a joke really. The structure of the game is that you go into a bland location and just kill everyone else and have the highest score. It is not a story driven game at all and the fact that it is in first-person perspective I think detracts from the game. Seeing the Punish kick all that ass in the first game is what made it so great.

To put my two cents in about the other Punisher game, it was amazing. My favorite part about it was all the cameos. I mean the way they even threw Matt Murdock in there without ever mentioning Daredevil was great. It shows just how good the writing is. Rather than try to force characters from the Marvel Universe in there they were smart about it and only used characters where they fit. Matt worked perfect with his law skills and made sense within the context of the story. Anyway, fantastic game. Check it out. PWZ, pass it up. You aren't missing anything.

Andy

It's pretty much the only game that I kept for my PS2, I've beaten on every difficulty won all the little extras, and still play it every now and then.

The Punisher: No Mercy is pretty bad, the voice work is terrible.

I played a demo of No Mercy today for about 15 minutes. The graphics were decent but it was really nothing special.