Tim Bradstreet

Dark Country on DVD

Mike, what I think it points to is that she was dead and buried before they hit the rest stop. A couple of weird things just hit me as well:

1.) Just married is written on the TRUNK. No one can see that from the road. Would generally go on the window...unless one of the wedding party was IN the trunk. :)

2.) When they are burying Bloody Face Gina practically teleports into the car. Haven't gone back to look, but is the passenger door left open on the car when they get out? NO way she could open it and climb in without Dick knowing that quick. That is a supernatural move on her part, indicating that something is up.

3.) Remember Dick's obsessive description on the girl he met that he never talked to...and that she is described as looking very much like Gina and the rest of the missing women...and that he has been searching for "that moment" ever since.

4.) As mentioned before, he says "like all the others".

As for what year this is...he has a digital video camera and she has a newer cell phone so initially not long ago.

Guest AdminGuyX

Good catch on the dress Fred! I wonder . . . was that on the page?

X, nice breakdown. I caught the car disappearing on my first viewing, but didn't pick up on the fact that he could see them through his rear view mirror after coming out of the dark (which might be one of my favorite shots in the whole film) so I have to wonder just what the hell is going on there. You'd think, the car disappears . . . must be shifting time, or dimensions or something. Maybe that's too far out.

And I also wonder what the cops know about the area. When he says "I told him to stay on 95" that makes me think they know some kind of supernatural hijinks are afoot out there.

And I really come away wondering, after the comment about "Where are all the men?" if Dick is a victim or not. Does he take women he marries in vegas to the desert to bury them? Or is there some kind of energy out there doing this to couples over and over again. The women getting buried, the men getting caught in a loop and vanishing.

Like we're going to say anything . . . We are enjoying all the speculation way too much ;)

Love how you guys are finding all the symbolism and dangling subtle clues.

To me, that's getting maximum enjoyment out of a film experience.

You folks are awesome.

- tb

Like we're going to say anything . . . We are enjoying all the speculation way too much ;)

Love how you guys are finding all the symbolism and dangling subtle clues.

To me, that's getting maximum enjoyment out of a film experience.

You folks are awesome.

- tb

Well tarnation 'Street! One day we're gonna have to hear your take on the flick ;)

You know, one thing I don't think we really discussed, the repeat of the sound effects and dialog from the beginning of the movie, minus the monolog during the credits. Anyone think maybe the monolog and the scene at the beginning of the movie might be Bloodyface thinking about the events before the car trip (might explain the odd lighting, concussed and traumatized brain)?

One of the things I most love about Dark Country was Tom's decision to replay the audio from the beginning of the film at the end, starting the cycle anew. I just fucking LOVE that.

- TB

One of the things I most love about Dark Country was Tom's decision to replay the audio from the beginning of the film at the end, starting the cycle anew. I just fucking LOVE that.

- TB

It is an amazing touch.

- TB

That. combined with the opening scene with the almost disorienting drop down the front of the Motel sign (which I see as analogous to falling down the rabbit hole), is why I think the entire story takes place in the "dark" country. Just because it's not night time doesn't mean the characters aren't in "the dark."

That. combined with the opening scene with the almost disorienting drop down the front of the Motel sign (which I see as analogous to falling down the rabbit hole), is why I think the entire story takes place in the "dark" country. Just because it's not night time doesn't mean the characters aren't in "the dark."

Don't forget the moth!

I was talking to my Mother the other night about finding moths in the grapes at work. They seem to keep finding themselves getting packed into the crates. Anyway, she was telling me how when she was little, she heard a story about moths and how they represent a sprit stuck on earth.

I did some more looking into it, and found some moth folklore to back this idea up. From one site I found:

"A butterfly or moth will hover for a time in one place or fly in a fleeting, hesitant manner, suggesting a soul that is reluctant to move on to the next world. "

That in mind, you have the one moth at the Motel. Gina or Dick? Hmmm.

As the film goes on, there seem to be more and more, and Dick's attempt at a getaway at the end? Foiled by a swarm of moths.

Dark Country is officially the first and only movie I've ever watched/listened to the commentary before actually watching the movie. After a change of address snafu, Dark Country showed up on my door last night. Problem is, you guys just announced a 3D screening in Los Angeles! So I figured I'd wait to see it as intended, big screen, with the third dimension and with an audience. Was a very informative and enjoyable commentary though!

Don't forget the moth!

I was talking to my Mother the other night about finding moths in the grapes at work. They seem to keep finding themselves getting packed into the crates. Anyway, she was telling me how when she was little, she heard a story about moths and how they represent a sprit stuck on earth.

I did some more looking into it, and found some moth folklore to back this idea up. From one site I found:

"A butterfly or moth will hover for a time in one place or fly in a fleeting, hesitant manner, suggesting a soul that is reluctant to move on to the next world. "

That in mind, you have the one moth at the Motel. Gina or Dick? Hmmm.

As the film goes on, there seem to be more and more, and Dick's attempt at a getaway at the end? Foiled by a swarm of moths.

Ah, yes, the moth. That's interesting info. I didn't know all that. You have that one moth on the window at the beginning and that moth on the road after the accident. Spooky.

I stopped reading reviews for Dark Country, but one reviewer I read a while ago said that there was absolutely no foreshadowing in the movie. I just wanted to say, Dude, did you not see the moths??

Really cool flick.

Whenever Dick's driving over 90 or 100mph, and then there's lightning. I'd say he somehow goes back in time.

It first happens when they are driving without the lights. And lastly just before he crashes, but then there were no lightning, (guess that would make it too obvious), but we can see the speedometer just before hitting 90 or 100. Therefore he's forever trapped in that cycle. It happens over and over again. So when he's in the car again at the end (driving away from the cops in present time) he would need to kill himself or something to maybe end the cycle and save her (and himself).

Though that's just my first impression of it, and there's too much other stuff that I can't explain with it. But I'm pretty sure it's back to the future/another dimension kind of thing. Which I dig hardcore. ;)

Guest AdminGuyX

As it should be! I don't want to know. I enjoy drawing my own conclusions way more than I like being told what the storytellers intended. At least for a while.

;)

It gets me into trouble though.

Right as Dick gets out of the car, he is dressed as Bloodyface (puts on the jacket), and it marks the first time he would have been alone with him. Now there is no more blood, even his trunks hood is missing the handprints (I don't remember them cleaning it off). For all intents and purposes, Dick is now Bloodyface, just waiting for the car crash to complete the transformation.

very good.

Not sure why this thread was closed unless it was by accident.

If there is an administrator reason why this was shut down briefly, please, someone let me know.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming . . .

- TB

I was just checking out some of the reviews of Dark Country on iTunes.

Hilarious, and it makes me smile every time I read about some witless dipshit (that thinks Crank is the greatest movie ever made) feeling like he just got jipped out of his 15 bucks.

I only have to read about a sentence to realize when I'm dealing with a moron from lamesville. Hey man, let's be real, Dark Country ain't for everyone, but if you honestly believe that the reason the backgrounds look fake or stylized is because we were too cheap to photograph real ones then good grief. Someone says "cut 'em some slack, they only had 5M$ to do the film, it's supposed to feel low budget" . . . Shit man, I WISH we had 5M! ;)

This is where I think dumbing down the DVD sleeve artwork to appeal to the masses is a big mistake more often than not (more-so in the case of Malone).

That visualization is just misleading, whereas if the marketing was more direct in attempting to get across the feel of the material then I think you have more folks who don't feel as if they've been hoodwinked. I do have to admire the mercenary tactics of the studios though. It's just like P.T. Barnum once said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

- tb

I've only read a handful of other people's reviews. One theme I've come across from negative ones are that they thought the ending was lame. Granted, whenever I hear or feel a movie is going to have a bit of a twist on the ending, I do figure "oh the killer will be the main guy" or whatever. The fact that Bloodyface is Dick doesn't really explain anything though, it adds to the questions left over.

Most movies that take that route make the mistake of relying off that twist, almost as a gag, whereas Dark Country gives you that, but it doesn't necessarily add up to any definable answer to "what the hell is going on." Its not for everybody, but that doesn't mean it ain't quality.

man you guys really got a lot of this movie! the stuff i'm reading about the moths is dead on, as is the 100mph/lightning/warp. and someone got the 'rabbit hole' opening shot!

the damn dvd is a little dark, otherwise you may notice the RABBIT in the painting on the motel room wall.

this film is really not intended for everyone. and there's nothing i can do about that damn dvd art, except offer an alt version, downloadable at our very own Dark Country page.

i too feel bad for those who were 'suckered' into thinking this was just another B movie from Sony!

but i am equally heartened and amazed by the films true 'audience' s ability to read the movie, even though it's too dark and has some left over editing ticks and stops and starts.

even so, the screening at Long Beach just blew our socks off.

maybe someday i'll get to do a Bluray version with all my desired cuts and reworking. but until then -

hope some of you guys are coming to the LA Halloween show - it should be a blast!

TJ

the damn dvd is a little dark, otherwise you may notice the RABBIT in the painting on the motel room wall.

Have to admit I had not even looked at the paintings in the motel room, until now. Difficult to see the rabbit. The picture of the cherub (Cupid?) aiming the bow and arrow down toward the bed where Gina is laying is interesting.

I'm gonna have to watch this movie again so I can look for all these things that everyone's mentioned. Been meanin' to, but haven't had time.

and someone got the 'rabbit hole' opening shot!

I loved that opening shot! That was brilliant. That one and that long shot coming out of the diner were both freakin' awesome!

First of all, let me say, Bravo Auteur!!!

What a wonderfully disquieting film ...

And might I add, loved the "Raw Cola"!

Another observation of the change of clothes that Fred so aptly pointed out - yes, first the body is dressed as Gina was at the "present" rest stop.

Then, when Dick would recognize her; i.e., when we see her face, she is back in the slip dress.

In other words, the removal of the body from the shallow grave is very elegantly played out from Dick's bewildered, then shocked perspective ...

Nicely done, as most moments in the film are ...

Have a great screening tonight!!!

Guest AdminGuyX

I just threw up a review on I-tunes. Everybody, go do that too. You don't have to have bought it through I-tunes to review it. I can't believe folks are admitting they didn't know what they were buying then giving it a negative review. That's just idiotic.

I think we just need to throw in some of our opinions so like minded folks who don't post here know this is worth a shot. You know?

I just threw up a review on I-tunes. Everybody, go do that too. You don't have to have bought it through I-tunes to review it. I can't believe folks are admitting they didn't know what they were buying then giving it a negative review. That's just idiotic.

I think we just need to throw in some of our opinions so like minded folks who don't post here know this is worth a shot. You know?

Done. Just waiting for it to post. Good God, people are, well, like the one person said about the film, retarded. Does anyone even care what they post for the public to read? If you didn't like it, fine. Just make it sensable, or at the very least ledgable. And what's with the lines of symbols?