Battlestar Galactica

Bruce Brown

Guest AdminGuyX

There is a final 4th season coming up too. My understanding is the producers didn't want to continue the show after it's 4th season, so they asked Sci-Fi if they could "end" the show, give it closure and let the story have a beginning, middle and end, instead of dragging on for 7 years, and then maybe they find home.

I think Ron Moore is right for ending the series after the fourth season instead of dragging it on and on. Going out on top makes much more sense. The spin off is actually a 2 hour movie that will be out in Nov. It is Battelstar Galactica Razor and is about what happened to the Pegasus once it was separated from the Galactica.

Aaron

Guest AdminGuyX

My impression is that Ron Moore didn't want to end the show, he just doesn't like dealing with the Sci-Fi network. I've read a lot of interviews with, and comments like "Sci-Fi isn't used to having a show with these kinds of production values, they don't really understand what to do with it." are not uncommon. (That isn't meant to be a direct quote) and like I said, just an impression. He's also said that sci-fi wasn't expecting the show to be as good, or as critically acclaimed as it has been. For me, those are reasons to go on, not reasons to stop. :)

Personally I'm sad to see the show end, in many ways it just feels like it's getting it's legs to tell a more epic, broader storyline about these people and how they have survived what they probably should not have, and how they move forward.

• 2 weeks later...
The spin off is actually a 2 hour movie that will be out in Nov. It is Battelstar Galactica Razor and is about what happened to the Pegasus once it was separated from the Galactica.

Aaron

Hey Aaron, or anyone who knows -

Is this 2-hour Razor show just about the "other" characters, or will it feature the main ones that are in most of the previous shows?

Just asking because I'm mighty confused...(and I have NOT been watching the Razor flashbacks that are supposed to be within the Flash Gordon episodes -- because I cannot suject myself to that show... :lol: )

Jen

• 1 year later...
SCIFI.COM announced the launch of a new 10-part series of Battlestar Galactica webisodes, "The Face of the Enemy," starting Dec. 12 at noon ET.

Two webisodes will debut weekly, leading up to the on-air return of the series on Jan. 16, 2009.

Each of the three- to four-minute chapters will complement and enhance the action broadcast on SCI FI and give viewers more insight into characters and events from the fourth and final season.

"The Face of the Enemy" follows the action and suspense inside a stranded Raptor carrying a group of passengers, including Lt. Felix Gaeta (Alessandro Juliani) and a Number 8 Cylon (Grace Park). When passengers suddenly start dying in alarming ways, fear, panic and chaos erupt within the confines of the small ship as suspicion grows that there is a killer among them. Michael Hogan (Col. Tigh) and Brad Dryborough (Lt. Hoshi) also star.

"The Face of the Enemy" is written by Jane Espenson and Seamus Kevin Fahey and is produced by Universal Cable Productions.

The full schedule: Dec. 12: Chapter 1; Dec. 15: Chapter 2; Dec. 17: Chapter 3; Dec. 22: Chapter 4; Dec. 24: Chapter 5; Dec. 29: Chapter 6; Dec. 31: Chapter 7; Jan. 5: Chapter 8; Jan. 7: Chapter 9; and Jan. 12: Chapter 10.

Source: http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?c...=2&id=62683

Cool news - thanks Tiara! :D

I've been watching Battlestar Galactica on 'n' off when the episodes were on, and it seems like the storyline is just getting more murky and entangled and not as interesting than at the beginning. It feels like the story is dragging, even though they're trying to wrap it all up. Is it just me, or are the episodes getting less and less understandable?

(I hope I'm making sense. I'm working a long day today and it's near my quitting time. LOL)

Jen

Jane Espenson, who co-wrote and produced the new 10-part series of Battlestar Galactica webisodes, "The Face of the Enemy," told SCI FI Wire that they will "inform and motivate" some of the events that take place in the upcoming final episodes of the show.

"It will motivate decisions Gaeta [Alessandro Juliani] will make in the second half of season four, in the upcoming episodes," Espenson said in an exclusive interview. "I think if you didn't see the webisodes, you would buy the decisions that Gaeta makes, but I think if you see the webisodes, you'll really buy the decisions that Gaeta makes."

The webisodes, which kicked off last week, take place inside a stranded Raptor carrying a group of passengers, including Lt. Felix Gaeta and a Number 8 Cylon (Grace Park). When passengers suddenly start dying in alarming ways, fear, panic and chaos erupt within the confines of the small ship as suspicion grows that there is a killer among them. Michael Hogan (Col. Tigh) and Brad Dryborough (Lt. Hoshi) also star.

Espenson, who is a co-executive producer of Battlestar, co-wrote the webisodes with Seamus Kevin Fahey, a staff writer. "I'm extremely proud of them," Espenson (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) said. "I really think they turned out great."

Continue reading:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?c...=2&id=62911

• 4 weeks later...
SCI FI Channel is letting viewers know that the Jan. 16 return of Battlestar Galactica at 10 p.m. will run 3 1/2 minutes long, so make sure to plan ahead if you're watching live or set your DVR accordingly if you're not.

For those who miss it anyway, SCIFI.COM will post the extra minutes following Battlestar's West Coast debut, which ends at 11 p.m. PT/2 a.m. ET.

The final 10 episodes of Battlestar Galactica kick off with an episode entitled "Sometimes a Great Notion," which picks up the story from last June's cliffhanger, in which the Colonial fleet led by Adm. Adama (Edward James Olmos) discover Earth, only to find it a barren nuclear wasteland.

Source: http://scifiwire.com/2009/01/battlestar-ga...inutes-long.php

Thanks for the news Tiara. I'll be watching (well, recording it and watching later). I hope there's some gas left in the tank for these final 10 episodes. I'm not sure where the story's going, but I hope it's a helluva thing to watch. :D

Jen

Some moments stick with you forever. Big moments, like when we learned Boomer was a Cylon or when the Cylons invaded New Caprica and descended upon what was left of the unprepared human race. And small moments, such as when Roslin called Adama because she didn't want to get out of bed and they playfully chatted. So many moments that together make up all that SCI FI's Battlestar Galactica has come to mean to those of us who have followed this astonishing journey.

As the show begins its final 10 episodes on Friday, Jan. 16, at 10 p.m., we talked to the cast to find out what their most profound memories of the groundbreaking series were.

[Warning: If you're not up to date with the series, some spoilers may follow.]

Continue reading: http://scifiwire.com/2009/01/battlestar-st...ies-moments.php

• 5 weeks later...

NOTE: I do not see the big, massive spoilers they are talking about...maybe you do?

Battlestar Galactica cast member Kate Vernon (Ellen Tigh) talked with SCI FI Wire exclusively about the show and what role she may play in the series' final episodes in advance of tonight's installment, "No Exit." Click on the jump to read the full interview, but beware: There are big, massive spoilers ahead!

Vernon said that Ellen Tigh comes to "a place of peace and understanding" in her final moments. But she wouldn't reveal when or how Ellen—recently acknowledged to be the fifth and final Cylon—reaches those final moments.

"No Exit" airs tonight at 10 p.m. ET/PT on SCI FI. Following are edited excerpts of our exclusive interview with Vernon.

What did you hear from the fans after the revelation that Ellen was the fifth Cylon?

Vernon: Oh, it's mixed. The reaction was a big reaction, but a very, very mixed reaction. And that's exactly what I was expecting. Some people were sure I was the Cylon. Some people can't believe I'm the fifth Cylon. All I can say is that's probably exactly how [executive producer] Ron Moore wanted the audience to react. Ron and [executive producer] David Eick have their reasons for bringing me back and for creating this absolute that I'm the fifth Cylon, and it has to do with the relationship Ellen has with Saul [Michael Hogan]. It's one of the oldest relationships in the universe. It's the oldest marriage going. And the revelation brings a lot of meaning to the relationship and the dynamic. So much is going to be revealed in the [upcoming] episodes that I think people are going to be fulfilled. You can't satisfy everybody. There will be fans angry forever about this, but c'est la vie. That's good writing. That's good TV.

You obviously know what happens and aren't going to tell us, but what's your sense of what Ellen actually wants from Saul?

Vernon: Hmm, I think Ellen just loves her husband. Ellen wants peace. But I can't tell you too much.

She loves him? Despite her screwing around? Despite all the headaches they've caused each other? Despite him killing her, she loves him?

Vernon: Ellen's motivation from the beginning of time, which will be revealed, has been to simply be with her husband. That's all she wants. She has been in direct competition with Adama [Edward James Olmos]. That man is stealing her husband away from her, and that has caused Ellen to act out in childish ways. But it's all based in love. It would have been a one-dimensional relationship had I just been a drinking sort of ... bitch. Who cares about someone like that? The underlying thing is that she's depressed, and she wants her husband, and she's in competition with this very powerful man.

We know you're going to take the fifth, so to speak, on this, but give us a preview of what's coming up in "No Exit" and beyond.

Vernon: I don't want to give too much away. I don't want to give anything away, but each show is going to be full of revelations and information. I would just ask the fans to watch them with an open mind. Everyone's storyline is going to be, certainly not tied up with a pretty bow, but everyone's storyline will have a lovely crescendo.

You pointed out that some people guessed that you were the fifth Cylon, and that's no doubt because of the groundwork laid in assorted moments over the years, like Saul burning a photo of Ellen or Baltar [James Callis] lying about a blood test. But now some people think that with the business involving Starbuck [Katee Sackhoff], Moore is laying the groundwork for Ellen to somehow not be who we've been told she is. Your thoughts?

Vernon: The fans are seeing these other possibilities. They're seeing this other possibility that Starbuck [is] the fifth, and maybe I'm just this weird red herring, even though the story says—literally says—I am the last Cylon. So I think the fans are going to want to believe what they're going to want to believe, and come the final episode of Battlestar Galactica ever written, some might still think, "You know what? It was Starbuck. I know it was Starbuck."

Lastly, whatever Ellen's last moment is and whenever it occurs, how satisfied are you with her fate?

Vernon: I'm really, really, really, really pleased. I think Ellen comes to a place of peace and understanding and fulfillment.

Source: http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/exclusive-bat...ive-secrets.php

I so wish I had kept up with this series...the last 5 episodes look to be great...I'll watch em and kick myself in the ass for not being more attentive to a great series soon to be gone.

Guest AdminGuyX

You shouldn't watch the last episodes first. That's like reading the last chapter of a novel. And this series really is like a novel, and all the answers to questions asked throughout the series are being peppered through these episodes.

To some degree anyway.

:)

Admittedly, I watched ever BSG as a kid and thought they were hokey (but watched every one anyway, so what does that mean!?!). I'm excited to see the concept treated appropriately (real drama, not teen-tech-fodder) and I'm starting from the begining this week. I would've started earlier to catch up in time for these final episodes but I was savoring Firefly. Mal Reynolds - hubba hubba.

IGN Movies is reporting that Universal Pictures is planning to turn the TV series "Battlestar Galactica" into a feature film with series creator Glen A. Larson being lined up to script and produce it.

The film will be based on the original series from 1978-79 rather than the recent reboot from the SCI FI Channel. In the series, humanity lived on twelve colony worlds in a far distant star system. They fought a thousand-year war with the Cylons, warrior robots created by a reptilian race which expired long ago--presumably destroyed by their own creations. Having never been commanded to cease fire, these warrior robots continuously waged war against the colonials. Mankind was defeated in a sneak attack on their homeworlds conceived by these robotic servants, now referred to as Cylons, and carried out with the help of Count Baltar (John Colicos). Protected by the last surviving warship, a "battlestar" called Galactica, the survivors fled in any ship that could fly. The Commander of the Galactica, Adama (Lorne Greene), led this "rag-tag fugitive fleet" of 220 ships in search of a new home on a legendary planet called Earth. The series co-starred Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict.

You can read more on this here.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=53111

• 3 weeks later...
Battlestar Galactica is so freaking good, it’s being discussed at the U.N. Sort of. A Galactica retrospective and discussion panel will be held at the United Nations in New York on March 17. Executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick will be attending, along with stars Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell. They’ll be discussing some of the various themes of the show including “human rights, children and armed conflict, terrorism, human rights and reconciliation and dialogue among civilizations and faith”, and will be joined by U.N. representatives Radhika Coomaraswamy, Craig Mokhiber, and Robert Orr. Whoopi Goldberg, one of the shows more vocal celebrity fans, will be moderating the panel.

Obviously, the timing of this event is not just a coincidence; it’s also great publicity for the upcoming series finale next week. But as a BSG fan, I can’t help but see this event as validation for the show’s ambitious attempts to tackle weighty themes. In its four seasons (and DVD films), Battlestar Galactica has managed to squeeze in many modern-day political and sociological topics.

While it hasn’t always been totally effective, I applaud the show for at least attempting to be more than a typical sci-fi action show. It may be too early to say this yet, but I honestly believe Battlestar Galactica will go down in history as one of the most significant works of art to come out of our post-9/11 society.

The U.N. event is invite only, but Sci-Fi reports that they will release a transcript and recording of the invite at some point in the future. I just hope they get a chance to shout “So say we all!” in the U.N.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/14/battle...united-nations/

• 1 month later...
battlestarcompletedvd.jpg

Universal has announced and released the box art for Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series, which hits DVD store shelves on July 28th. Amazon has the DVD set available for preorder for $167.99 and the Blu-ray set for $244.99.

bs3-440x399.jpg

The ambitious 20-disc Blu-ray™ Hi-Def set and a 25-disc standard DVD set contains every episode of television’s most original, thought-provoking series, together with extensive bonus materials delving deep into the richly imagined world of the hit SCI FI Channel original show.

image-1-440x422.jpg

image-2-440x330.jpg

bs4-440x673.jpg

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/04/29/cool-s...omplete-series/

Archived