WESTERN MOVIES

irish46

Anybody seen Appaloosa yet? In my neck of the woods AMC wasn't showing it, and it still managed to be #5 at the box office!

It opens in AMC theaters across the country TODAY.

:)

So, I'll see it tomorrow afternoon at the mall. I don't have any regal theaters nearby (they were the chain carrying it this week in ATL. Also, the Movie Tavern (maybe the greatest place to see a film EVER) wasn't showing it.

Yes, I posted it over in the Appaloosa thread. It is awesome man, worth every second of time you will spend in the theatre.

This was the first big, real movie I remember seeing.

Before The Cowboys I think most of what I was forced to watch at movie theaters was Disney or children's fare.

I saw The Cowboys at a drive in with my folks. Gigantic fucking screen.

I was so sucked into the film viewing it this way. The term "larger than life" never rang so true.

Mark Rydell's magnificent adaptation of William Dale Jennings novel is one of my all-time favorite westerns.

My dad has hated Bruce Dern since the night we watched this film ;)

LOL :lol: I hated Dern for all of about 2 months, once I saw him in SILENT RUNNING I totally was a fan for life. I think he set the standard for quirky nut job in that flick.

But it is true, every body remembers COWBOYS for those 2 reasons, The DUKE died on screen and DERN killed him.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to be critical, it looks ambitious, the sets/costumes are nice but the DV gives it a low budget feel, not the good kind. Way too slick and plasticy. No Grit.

In spite of the obvious effort it doesn't feel authentic to me.

Gary's kinda fun but the rest, specifically the last bit with the girl ruins it for me.

Obvious CG bullet hit on Gary furthers my disappointment.

Also, it's more of a short clip.

Not sure why they refer to it as a trailer.

- TB

I hate to be critical, it looks ambitious, the sets/costumes are nice but the DV gives it a low budget feel, not the good kind. Way too slick and plasticy. No Grit.

In spite of the obvious effort it doesn't feel authentic to me.

Gary's kinda fun but the rest, specifically the last bit with the girl ruins it for me.

Obvious CG bullet hit on Gary furthers my disappointment.

Also, it's more of a short clip.

Not sure why they refer to it as a trailer.

- TB

Now if I can dissect the history of the project it looks like they shot the trailer with Gary as a teaser to try and raise finance. I didn't realise this until stumbling onto the website yesterday. Chad mentioned to me a couple of months ago that he was going to produce Ransom Pride. So the logic would be that these guys shopped it around and Chad picked it up.

Whether they can pull of that visual style on a twenty day shoot (which is what they've got) will be interesting.

For me though the script is too heavy in dialogue and false beats. Direction too heavy and music video-ish.

Trying really hard to be cool in a Smoking Aces kindof way.

Not my cup of tea. I prefer pulled back minimalist.

I also have an issue with the overuse of leone-esque camera angles that are used for show rather than conveying narrative.

Compare it to this deleted scene from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

http://www.spike.com/video/good-bad-ugly-six/2639478

Story told visually, simply.

Andrew

Now if I can dissect the history of the project it looks like they shot the trailer with Gary as a teaser to try and raise finance. I didn't realise this until stumbling onto the website yesterday. Chad mentioned to me a couple of months ago that he was going to produce Ransom Pride. So the logic would be that these guys shopped it around and Chad picked it up.

Whether they can pull of that visual style on a twenty day shoot (which is what they've got) will be interesting.

For me though the script is too heavy in dialogue and false beats. Direction too heavy and music video-ish.

I also have an issue with the overuse of leone-esque camera angles that are used for show rather than conveying narrative.

Compare it to this deleted scene from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

http://www.spike.com/video/good-bad-ugly-six/2639478

Story told visually, simply.

Andrew

If you read the bios over on the ransome pride site, they all make reference to 300 and sin city as the feel they are going for. They stress it is not a western, but rather an action movie set on the border in 1911...sounds and looks like a western to me...I get a KNIGHTS TALE kinda vibe from the site and the clip...that's probably not a good thing.

Direction too heavy and music video-ish.

Andrew

Going Smokin' Aces or Crank with a Western is what I fear on the horizon. Young hip directors who love the genre are going to turn to a genre and a style that is making money and blend the two, with heavy emphasis on the kinetic editing and action beats. Fancy/non realistic gunplay, etc . . . Would seem cool under the direction of someone like Alex Cox where you know off the bat it's a parody. But I predict the projects in question will simply go the lowest common denominator route.

Western Action film, uhg. I PRAY that doesn't happen with Jonah Hex. Seriously.

The Leone type shots were masterbatory and hollow. The second we pan up to the hero's face for a brief moment we see the classic "head down" move employed.

It almost never works outside of Leone's use. When I see it used it always feels fake and forced, and yes, normally because no one else has figured out there is a narrative reason for it in the Leone films. Everyone else uses it as a way to say, "look, here's my laconic hero!"

Seriously, all bitchitude aside, I respect these guys for the effort which looks considerable.

Nice to know the "trailer" in question is more of a "sample" and not necessarily the real deal.

- TB

Going Smokin' Aces or Crank with a Western is what I fear on the horizon. Young hip directors who love the genre are going to turn to a genre and a style that is making money and blend the two, with heavy emphasis on the kinetic editing and action beats. Fancy/non realistic gunplay, etc . . . Would seem cool under the direction of someone like Alex Cox where you know off the bat it's a parody. But I predict the projects in question will simply go the lowest common denominator route.

Western Action film, uhg. I PRAY that doesn't happen with Jonah Hex. Seriously.

The Leone type shots were masterbatory and hollow. The second we pan up to the hero's face for a brief moment we see the classic "head down" move employed.

It almost never works outside of Leone's use. When I see it used it always feels fake and forced, and yes, normally because no one else has figured out there is a narrative reason for it in the Leone films. Everyone else uses it as a way to say, "look, here's my laconic hero!"

Seriously, all bitchitude aside, I respect these guys for the effort which looks considerable.

Nice to know the "trailer" in question is more of a "sample" and not necessarily the real deal.

- TB

One thing that will work in Ransom Pride's favor is Chad - he is a brilliant producer who is all about pushing as much production value as he can. Alberta is set up with the sets, props and costumes to give more bang for the buck so to speak. Chad described Ransom Pride to me as an "amazing-holy-shit western with a great cast"

As to the Smoking Aces or Crank style direction - I can guarantee you that is where they'll take Jonah Hex. What people fail time and time again to realise is that each Leone shot reveals character - it is all scripted - for example the screenplay to Once Upon a Time in the West is over 400 pages long. It includes every subtle naunce, every camera move.

Each shot and sequence reveals character - and that is the true reason it is so cool. It is not a cool shot for jerking off too. It tells STORY, STORY, STORY.

Can anyone other than Leone replicate the style without it appearing as homage - no. Can you find a way to dramatically convey the narrative whilst employing some of the techniques - most definetely.

Leone is also a lot about depth staging - contrast between foreground and background actions. Short, shallow depth of field. The reason that the editing is drawn out is that the characters reveal themselve through cautious physical action. You can't reveal character of a three frame cut.

Andrew

Can't wait to see what Chad and company get cooking up in Alberta.

No sense in knocking their short as it seems apparent that judging Ransom based on that is misguided.

Thanks for shedding light Andrew.

As to the rest . . . Amen.

- TB

Just thought I'd share this -

I had seen a few different poster designs for 3:10 To Yuma but just came across this tonight.

Never seen it before and thought it was cool.

threetentoyumand2.jpg

- TB

Most likely caused by the cut of that coat.

Ben Foster as Sharon Stone!

Yeah, I see what you mean. There were things about this poster that bothered me too.

But I thought it was too cool not to post.

I love most B-style posters as they are often more ambitious by design than the standard "hit your audience over the head" theatricals.

- TB

• 3 weeks later...

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is still one of my favorite westerns. Great character study and one of John Wayne's most understated roles. Add a GREAT Lee Marvin performance, not to mention Jimmy Stewart, Vera Miles and Woody Strode and you've got an all time classic. "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

Everywhere Joe Jusko goes, be it a convention hall, a baseball game, a Steel Sunday at Heinz Field, Hell, Even when Joe walks into a church . . . Some uncanny force of nature heralds his arrival by piping

over whatever loudspeakers, PA systems, car radios happen to be in the area of Joe's presence.

If you have not witnessed this strange and uplifting occurrence yourself, you have not beheld the true man, nay, THE LEGEND in his true form.

I've often said, Joe Jusko makes "The World's Most Interesting Man" seem more like The World's Most "Impotent" Man.

Behold the Vigor!

jusko1-1.jpg

Great pick Joe, one of the best movies ever.

Pretty much the film that made Lee Marvin an "A" list guy after years of bit parts and TV work.

Everyone one else is in top form too. One of my favorite John Ford flicks.

- TB

I SO hate you now!!! Payback will be SUCH a bitch!!!

Everywhere Joe Jusko goes, be it a convention hall, a baseball game, a Steel Sunday at Heinz Field, Hell, Even when Joe walks into a church . . . Some uncanny force of nature heralds his arrival by piping
over whatever loudspeakers, PA systems, car radios happen to be in the area of Joe's presence.

If you have not witnessed this strange and uplifting occurrence yourself, you have not beheld the true man, nay, THE LEGEND in his true form.

I've often said, Joe Jusko makes "The World's Most Interesting Man" seem more like The World's Most "Impotent" Man.

Behold the Vigor!

jusko1-1.jpg

Pretty much the film that made Lee Marvin an "A" list guy after years of bit parts and TV work.

- TB

Definitely Lee Marvin's star making role after years of great stuff like "The Big Heat'.

- TB

LOL, well shit Joe, it's fucking TRUE!!!

Maybe you're just not aware of your own aura of badassery.

I mean fuck sakes, I open a fucking EMAIL from you and suddenly my iTunes opens of it's own volition, next thing I know it's Gene Fucking Pitney!

When I walk in a room all I get is The Ballad Of Cat Ballou by Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye.

xoxo - T(Kid Shelleen)B

Definitely Lee Marvin's star making role after years of great stuff like "The Big Heat'.

I agree Marvin in Liberty Valence was sheer brilliance, but for me you have to step up to The Professionals to get the full blown Marvin experience.

Andrew

I agree Marvin in Liberty Valence was sheer brilliance, but for me you have to step up to The Professionals to get the full blown Marvin experience.

Andrew

No question.

I agree whole heartedly.

And if you've never seen The Professionals and you are a fan of westerns, let alone Lee Marvin, you simply must go buy it.

It's dirt cheap, some of the best money you will ever spend. I remember when the Once Upon A Time In The West 2-disc was released a few years back.

It was like 12$. I could not believe it. So fucking cheap and so completely fucking GREAT. No 2-disc for The Professionals that I know of but STILL!

- TB

LOL, well shit Joe, it's fucking TRUE!!!

Maybe you're just not aware of your own aura of badassery.

I mean fuck sakes, I open a fucking EMAIL from you and suddenly my iTunes opens of it's own volition, next thing I know it's Gene Fucking Pitney!

When I walk in a room all I get is The Ballad Of Cat Ballou by Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye.

xoxo - T(Kid Shelleen)B

Speaking of which have you guys seen the CD - My Rifle, My Pony, and Me. Haven't listened to it in a spell - I think I had an adverse reaction to The Hanging Tree - haha.

Andrew

No question.

I agree whole heartedly.

And if you've never seen The Professionals and you are a fan of westerns, let alone Lee Marvin, you simply must go buy it.

It's dirt cheap, some of the best money you will ever spend. I remember when the Once Upon A Time In The West 2-disc was released a few years back.

It was like 12$. I could not believe it. So fucking cheap and so completely fucking GREAT. No 2-disc for The Professionals that I know of but STILL!

- TB

lmcap001.jpg

lmcap002.jpg

All that needs to be said.

Andrew

Awesome flick!!! AND, you get to see Claudia Cardinale topless. Nuff said! :-)

No question.

I agree whole heartedly.

- TB

I figured this was appropriate to post in here. It looks like Romero's new zombie movie is a bit of a western, all be it a modern western. It's kind of surprising and not at the same time all of his ...of the Dead movies have been different in tone and look. Night was more of a straight up horror movie, Dawn was as George puts it "a comic book romp", Day was claustrophobic and visceral, Land that was Romero doing action. I haven't seen Diary of the Dead and really have no intention to, so I can't comment on that one.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll admit to something I know Andrew's gonna roll his eyes on.

In our household, we go through weeks where They Call Me Trinity never leaves our player. Trinity is a cheeky send-up of spaghetti westerns (it is credited for begining the 'comedy western' genre in Italy in the early 70's). It's replete with sped-up fight scenes, beans-n-farts humor, Italians pretending to be Mexicans, a whistling soundtrack, and a worse dub track. We simply can't get enough of Bambino and Trinity's escapades.

In fact this morning it hit me that TB and TJ could be the next Bambino and Trinity! :lol:

The movie is in the public domain and available here.

Archived