WESTERN MOVIES

irish46

PS, Irish, I'd have paid money to see your face when you realized your tape had snapped.

My VCR used to eat them alive. I have quite a few older tapes with the obligatory scotch tape splice ;)

Lol, it was a real Oh shit moment..1st, anger that it was happening, then fear and dread that I wouldn't be able to save the damned tape. But like you said, after awhile I got pretty good at taking those tapes apart and splicing them. I've got a lot of scotch tape in my vhs collection. :P

For the most part I agree with you on wide screen, I hate to miss anything when I watch a great movie and i always buy widescreen when I purchase a movie...but...I am also the same guy who would sit and watch Bakshi's LORD of the RINGS movie, followed by the RANKIN and BASS movies, The HOBBIT and RETURN of the KING. From 1977 until the Fellowship of the RING in 2001 those were the only film I had to watch of my favorite book series of all time. Sometimes I still will pop in the Bakshi movie, not so much the Rankin Bass ones...it's the singing hobbits and Gondorian warriors...gives me frightful nightmares.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came across this today and thought it was interesting. Maybe westerns are making a bit of a comeback.

The Last Rites of Ransom Pride

Western gives shot in arm to Alberta

Kristofferson among stars headed to city

Eric Volmers, Calgary Herald

Published: Thursday, August 28, 2008

Calgary's film industry will get a boost this fall when a dark western starring Scott Speedman and Kris Kristofferson rides to town for a four-week shoot.

Calgary's Nomadic Pictures will co-produce The Last Rites of Ransom Pride, a violent western about a woman trying to bring her lover -- a murdered outlaw -- home for burial.

Speedman, who plays the title character in flashbacks, heads an eclectic cast that includes country singers Dwight Yoakam and Kristofferson, the Station Agent's Peter Dinklage, Beverley Hills 90210's Jason Priestley, Deadwood's W. Earl Brown and NCIS's Cote de Pablo.

Lizzy Caplan -- who last appeared in the horror hit Cloverfield -- will play the main character.

"We've really taken the time to get this cast," said Chad Oakes of Nomadic Pictures. "It's eclectic and unique -- it's not a traditional western. It takes place in 1910 and it has all the western elements. Yet, it could be construed as almost contemporary. It's really Sam Peckinpah meets Quentin Tarantino."

Oakes would not say what the budget of the film is, except to say it was a "low-to-medium" budgeted indie film. Nevertheless, it will employ more than 100 crew members, 47 actors and hundreds of extras during the four-week shoot.

Scenes are scheduled to be filmed in the badlands of Drumheller, Longview and in the Currie Barracks in Calgary. The production will also use some of the same locations northwest of Calgary used in the 2007 film The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, which starred Brad Pitt. Principal photography is scheduled to start Sept. 2.

The Last Rites of Ransom Pride will be directed by renowned documentary filmmaker Tiller Russell and co-produced by Lock & Load Pictures of Austin, Texas.

Caplan plays a young woman who brings Ransom Pride (Speedman) back to Glory, Texas, for a burial.

Along the way, she is menaced by Yoakam's murderous reverend, Kristofferson's "savage outlaw," and bounty hunters played by Brown and Priestley. Dinklage plays a shotgun-wielding dwarf who protects the woman alongside Ransom's younger brother (played by Jon Foster of Door in the Floor.) Most of the action is meant to take place on the Texas-Mexican border.

Luke Azevedo, Calgary's commissioner of film, television and creative industries, says The Last Rites of Ransom Pride should serve as a reminder to filmmakers of Calgary's talented crews and diverse landscape, particularly for westerns.

"One of the the big selling features for Alberta, and our jurisdiction specifically, is that within a three-hour distance from Calgary or Edmonton you have two cities of a million people, you have the badlands, you have the Prairies, you have the mountains."

Nomadic Pictures co-produced 2004's Emmy-winning Broken Trail, which starred Robert Duvall and was shot in and around Calgary.

I came across this today and thought it was interesting. Maybe westerns are making a bit of a comeback.

Yes sir'ee Westerns are making a come back.

Sorry I couldn't help myself on that one.

Seriously though Alberta is a great place to shoot westerns and Chad Oakes of Nomadic Pictures is such a huge fan of the genre. The locations and the sets make it such a bliss to shoot there. Chad has another couple of westerns in development including one titled HIRED GUNS.

But more on that shortly.

Andrew ;)

Guest AdminGuyX

Watched about half an hour of "Dirty Dingus Magee" tonight.

I hadn't seen it since I was like 10 years old.

Frank Sinatra looks like the bastard brother of Charles Bronson.

:)

One of my all-time favorite westerns (not starring Clint) has to be Tombstone. Totally dug it, it was fun and one of the few times that Wyatt Earp wasn't portrayed as a do-gooder. Plus, Kurt Russell is another one of the most underrated actors of our time, and can do no wrong in my book (i am not admitting to the existence of any disney product, although that part of his career is what helped shape Snake Plissken--another great western).

As for Clint, obviously Unforgiven is outstanding, but one that doesn't receive enough notice is High Plains Drifter. To me, it is very much like The Crow, set in the old west. They even paint the town red--literally. Classic.

As for Clint, obviously Unforgiven is outstanding, but one that doesn't receive enough notice is High Plains Drifter. To me, it is very much like The Crow, set in the old west. They even paint the town red--literally. Classic.

If you like the gothic undertones of High Plains Drifter be sure to check out The Strangers Gundown which is the Italian western that inspired Eastwood to make High Plains Drifter.

Andrew

Is this your baby, Andrew?

Gundown

Haha. Yes, yes it is. Was shot in 04 over one day for a total budget of $600

Was experiemental in the sense of exploring storytelling with no dialogue. Retrospectively the editing could be tighter but considering the resources I'm pleased with the outcome. Also an exercise in self sufficency as well as contributing to my Masters in Creative Writing on the Spaghetti Western genre.

Andrew

Was experiemental in the sense of exploring storytelling with no dialogue. Retrospectively the editing could be tighter but considering the resources I'm pleased with the outcome. Also an exercise in self sufficency as well as contributing to my Masters in Creative Writing on the Spaghetti Western genre.

Andrew

I liked how much was conveyed without saying a word. A nice vignette.

I liked how much was conveyed without saying a word. A nice vignette.

Appreciated. It was an evolution on an idea from my workings with Sergio Donati. I met Sergio whilst I was undertaking my Masters - I used his screenplay to Once Upon a Time in the West as a basis for my thesis, and we've been working together ever since.

Funny thing is when you have an entry in the National Australian Library

http://nla.gov.au/anbd.bib-an000040315161

haha

Andrew

Guest AdminGuyX

Andrew - what the heck is going on with your avatar buddy? What IS that? I ask that in a good way, I want to see it bigger. ;)

Sergio Donati? Wow. That's awesome. Just watched a documentary on IFC about Spagetti Westerns and he was part of that. Seems like a really great guy, and I learned a ton about him I never knew before.

I think it's great that almost all the directors making these kinds of films were all named Sergio. :)

And it was also very refreshing how open they were about the conventions of the type of films they made, the pros, the cons, what needed to be done to market them, and how they often used them as a platform for political, personal, and moral messages. They just strike you as honest folks, earnest folks, and unafraid of failure.

I enjoyed your short film too. I agree with you on your editing comment too, but the nuts and bolts of your talent for it, passion for the material, and the fun it holds for you are obvious.

Guest FADoss

Andrew

Dig the film! You captured everything I LOVED and everything I disliked about the spaghetti western. A perfect homage. Some very cool camera shots, loved the lack of dialogue and the simple revenge piece is just great.

You nailed it.

Fred

Andrew - what the heck is going on with your avatar buddy? What IS that? I ask that in a good way, I want to see it bigger. ;)

It's from the animated pilot I did for A BULLET WAITS FOR YOU. Was designed for delivery on mobile phone 3g formatted. So as a disclaimer the animation doesn't scale so great on Youtube.

Originally when I finished the Masters I looked at producing a cut down series of the screenplay for delivery on mobile phone. Problem was developing a revenue stream - so only got the first one completed.

Andrew

Dig the film! You captured everything I LOVED and everything I disliked about the spaghetti western. A perfect homage. Some very cool camera shots, loved the lack of dialogue and the simple revenge piece is just great.

You nailed it.

Fred

Fred,

cheers for that. Has been a mixed response on Youtube. Get emails from those that love it and then there are those that want to know where to buy guns. Haha.

Hopefully be able to make formal announcements on what is coming up next very very shortly.

The question was asked - is the western making a comeback and I say hell yeah!

Andrew

Guest AdminGuyX

Love the animation. It's got a fun, surreal quality to it that the youtubeness only enhances.

I love that title, by the way. A BULLET WAITS FOR YOU.

Really nice.

Sorry to hear about the financing. I've had my ups and down trying to finance projects myself over the years. THAT adventure continues.

;)

Njc-------------

Love the animation. It's got a fun, surreal quality to it that the youtubeness only enhances.

I love that title, by the way. A BULLET WAITS FOR YOU.

Really nice.

Sorry to hear about the financing. I've had my ups and down trying to finance projects myself over the years. THAT adventure continues.

;)

Njc-------------

Noeland,

you have to be as stubborn as a mule and keep on fighting - every step of the way. That being said you need a certain amount of external affirmation in a constructive form by people whom you respect.

Once you find your style or voice and develop that then things really get exciting.

But more on that shortly.

Let's just say that A BULLET WAITS FOR YOU will be coming to the big screen in 09

Andrew

Awsome news Andrew, CAN NOT EVER HAVE TO MANY WESTERNS!!!!! Start a new thread so we can badger you for information until we become a major pain in your ass, which I'm sure will happen...

If you like the gothic undertones of High Plains Drifter be sure to check out The Strangers Gundown which is the Italian western that inspired Eastwood to make High Plains Drifter.

Andrew

Thanks for the info, that one is now on my ever-growing list of 'Movies i Must Watch'...

John Wayne's The Cowboy's

happen to see this movie on a fluke, and i was left breathless...

simply put, boys face manhood by who better than John Wayne...

movie also features (imo) one of the best villian ever to grace the screen played by Bruce Dern.

Awsome news Andrew, CAN NOT EVER HAVE TO MANY WESTERNS!!!!! Start a new thread so we can badger you for information until we become a major pain in your ass, which I'm sure will happen...

Hmm, there's an idea...

Andrew

Guest AdminGuyX

Anybody seen Appaloosa yet? In my neck of the woods AMC wasn't showing it, and it still managed to be #5 at the box office!

It opens in AMC theaters across the country TODAY.

So, I'll see it tomorrow afternoon at the mall. I don't have any regal theaters nearby (they were the chain carrying it this week in ATL. Also, the Movie Tavern (maybe the greatest place to see a film EVER) wasn't showing it.

John Wayne's The Cowboy's

happen to see this movie on a fluke, and i was left breathless...

simply put, boys face manhood by who better than John Wayne...

movie also features (imo) one of the best villian ever to grace the screen played by Bruce Dern.

This was the first big, real movie I remember seeing.

Before The Cowboys I think most of what I was forced to watch at movie theaters was Disney or children's fare.

I saw The Cowboys at a drive in with my folks. Gigantic fucking screen.

I was so sucked into the film viewing it this way. The term "larger than life" never rang so true.

Mark Rydell's magnificent adaptation of William Dale Jennings novel is one of my all-time favorite westerns.

My dad has hated Bruce Dern since the night we watched this film ;)

"John Wayne doesn't die onscreen", he'd say.

I also despised Dern for years because of his role in this film, heheh.

Great ensemble picture and some stunning cinematography.

I wasn't aware of it then but this was my first introduction to John Williams.

I used to hum the theme from the film from time to time for a long time after seeing this picture.

Funny how these things work.

I hadn't seen the film for like 20 years until I went to a screening at a local theater a few years back.

It was like gold, all the memories of how it effected me came rushing back.

It was like visiting an old and dear friend for a few hours.

Finally own the score now too.

- TB

Archived