Tiara

A 3-D Animated Fourth Mad Max?

MTV spoke to writer/director George Miller, who says that the fourth "Mad Max" film will now become a 3-D animated feature without any involvement from Mel Gibson. Here's an excerpt from the interview:

"We'll probably go a different route," Miller told MTV News about the potential talent voicing the lead role. The plot would be partly lifted from the script of the fourth "Max" film, which was set to shoot in 2003 until financing collapsed in the wake of the Iraq War.

Now Miller is resurrecting the idea as an R-rated, stereoscopic anime flick for theatrical release. It's a curious undertaking, to be sure, but one made all the more certain to happen after the runaway success in 2006 of his computer-animated "Happy Feet"—not that the newest, ever-violent "Max" film will have much in common with that kid-friendly penguin party.

"I see myself as someone who is very curious about storytelling and all its various media," Miller said. "I've always loved anime, in particular the Japanese sensibility. It's something I've always wanted to do."

He is also planning a tie-in action-adventure video game, which you can read more about here.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=53489

Oh and before anybody tells me there is already a thread for Max Max: Fury Road, I just found it and I sent a message to Noeland to move this to that one. So no need for a Mike V moment. Thanks.

So here's how the career of Australian director George Miller goes. He starts out in 1979 directing Mad Max, follows it up with Mad Max 2 in 1981, follows that up with Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome in 1985, then starts his downhill trend and directs The Witches of Eastwick, then in 1998 he reaches his all-time low, Babe: Pig in the City, and for his most recent film, he goes animated with Happy Feet. With all the trouble he had getting Justice League off the ground, you'd think he'd try and do something to prove himself again, but nope. Well, he did decide to make Mad Max 4, but there's a catch - it's going to be animated.

Specifically, Miller is going to make Mad Max 4 as a 3D anime. "I see myself as someone who is very curious about storytelling and all its various media," Miller told MTV. "I've always loved anime, in particular the Japanese sensibility. It's something I’ve always wanted to do." Miller is going all out, not only is he ditching the franchise's star Mel Gibson - "we'll probably go a different route" - but he's even making a video game for it at the same time. The plot is supposedly being borrowed from the original Mad Max 4 script that was written for production in 2003, but that version never happened and thus got scrapped.

"The anime is an opportunity for me to shift a little bit about what anime is doing because anime is ripe for an adjustment or sea of change," Miller attempts to explain. "It's coming in games and I believe it’s the same in anime. There's going to be a hybrid anime where it shifts more towards Western sensibilities. Akira Kurosawa was able to bridge that gap between the Japanese sensibilities and the West and make those definitive films." I don't think he has any idea what he's talking about. Okay, Kurosawa did bridge that gap beacuse he's a genius, but there is no "sea of change" coming in the anime world, as far as I know.

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but this sounds like a really lazy idea to me. It just seems like George Miller didn't, or couldn't, get any live-action project made, so he decided to not only go back to his roots, but make the next sequel animated instead. Apparently this Mad Max 4 is supposedly going to be very R-rated, which doesn't exactly change my mind. Okay, maybe I'm being a bit too harsh on Miller, but I really don't like the guy or any of recent ideas. I even really disliked Happy Feet, but that's a discussion for another day. But really, does anyone want to see Mad Max 4 as a 3D anime? Anyone?

Source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/03/05/laz...-anime-instead/

i would definitely be interested enough to watch this (if it happens). Reminds me of the idea John Carpenter and Kurt Russell had a while back about doing another 'Escape From...' as an animated feature, along with a video game. i was really jazzed about that idea, but unfortunately neither one got off the ground. Maybe if Mad Max works, it'll light that fire again. The idea for both projects is, in my opinion, way better than the proposed remakes, so here's hoping.

I'll deffinatly check this out, but not sure how I feel about this. I'd almost rather have a video game with Mel doing voice over. But that in it's self raises another question: why leave out Mel. I could kind of understand the live action thing because of Mel's age (though personally, I think it was a bullsit excuse. I'd pick a raged, aging, tough as nails Max over a younger version any day) but in animation all that's thrown out the window. There's no excuse for not having Mel back, unless Mel in not up for it.

I'm leery, animated (grumble), no Mel . . .

It's an interesting world and has possibilities but until we know much more about the direction of the story this is hyperBOWL, er hyperbole ;)

I'll believe it when I see it. I love George Miller but truth be told, The Max franchise hasn't been the same since the death of Miller's producing/creative partner Byron Kennedy after their efforts on Road Warrior. He was tragically killed in a helicopter crash while scouting locations for MM3.

Where do you go without Max Rockitansky? Without Mel? In other words, how can you still call it Mad Max, it makes no sense except from a marketing standpoint, and I hate that. Still, since we don't know squat I can't condemn this. And Frankly I don't want to condemn this, I'm a fan of all the creative powers.

But leery . . . definitely.

- tb

It doesn't say that it won't be Max, does it? Just that it won't be Mel. Not that I'm excited about that.

In the meantime, I will cling to MAD MAXATHON at the New Beverly Cinema in two weeks! I've never seen any of them on the big screen before.

Well, without Mel, there is no Max.

That's me and the generation I grew up in speaking.

I'd hate to see it recast. Or even worse, a remake. It'll happen eventually when someone realizes they have the rights and the time is right.

Mad Max could be a cash cow. They could even do it right and make a great film. But it could never have the charm of real guerilla style filmmaking, the thinking on their feet/happy accidents (jet engine scene with the Nightrider), it could never be the sum of all these wonderful creative people colliding with the right project at the perfect time. It would just be a remake, good or bad. You can't force magic.

Mel's a loyal guy, and his run with Miller is epic. It's speculation, but if the project were up to snuff I'm thinking Mel would be in.

I'd love to know where The Road Warrior would be in his life right now (in the context of the films).

This franchise needs an Unforgiven, not a step backwards into product to appeal to the vid game generation.

That's just how I feel.

But like I alluded to above, I'm ready to be convinced this is a good idea.

- TB