HUNG

• Please log in to reply
639 replies to this topic

#621 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Graphic Design, Production Design, Film Scores, Film.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

I thought I WAS being fair ;)
But yeah, still no Deadwood film/s, no Rome film, and no Hung. Just some very good shows that deserved better.
I don't hate HBO, but I do have a sour taste in my mouth. The business of television it may be . . . that doesn't mean I/we have to like it ;)

- tb

#622 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

Deadwood still pisses me off.

#623 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

Deadwood still pisses me off.

And HOW!

- tb

#624 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

Last I heard, the Deadwood films didn't get the go ahead because HBO had the sets torn down before they could get a script. Carnival is another that really dissapointed me by not continuing.

With HUNG, there are so many unanswered questions. The least they could do is give them a heads up, so they can end propor.

#625 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

Yeah, Carnival too! It's a fucking trend that's beginning to become very annoying.

- tb

#626 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:54 PM

Carnivale was something I really adored in the first season. Just LOVED IT. The second season was too tinkered with but I still enjoyed it. Clancy Brown will forever be one of my favorites. He had a small but cool role in Cowboys and Aliens.

Half the reason I watch White Collar is because of Tim Dekay, who I think should play John Wayne in a really good bio film.

I'm still kind of shocked that Hung got the ax. Yeah, it's the business of TV, sure. You can do that. But Tim has a point about it being an annoying trend. For Hung, I'd like to see them get an hour long finale. BUT, like Deadwood, it would never happen.

Dammit.

#627 Mike V

Mike V

Jaded? Angry? Or just sick of the bullshit?

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:00 AM

I thought I WAS being fair ;)
But yeah, still no Deadwood film/s, no Rome film, and no Hung. Just some very good shows that deserved better.
I don't hate HBO, but I do have a sour taste in my mouth. The business of television it may be . . . that doesn't mean I/we have to like it ;)

- tb

Actually the Rome film is still on track to happening as far as I know. It's just HBO is no longer going to be apart of it, so they have to find a new production studio to work with. Also even though it was canceled they did get enough of a heads up to wrap things up, it wasn't the most satisfying but it was more than what Carnivale and Deadwood got.

Also, I'm thinking Game of Thrones may have had something to do with the shows getting canceled, HBO has said they are in it for the long haul and it ain't a cheap show to make. In a prefect world they could have gotten Payne back to do a 90 minute one-off special finale.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

#628 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

In a prefect world they could have gotten Payne back to do a 90 minute one-off special finale.

That would have been the right way to do it. It's not like Hung is a difficult show to shoot. 90% of the locations are in LA except for certain exteriors.
It's certainly not the budget drain that the higher concept shows are. Yeah, Payne wrapping the finale and doing bookends would have been the shit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barring that, yeah, a simple heads-up "this will be our last season" - Give the writers a chance to wrap things up so the show package is cohesive and the complete DVD series is worth picking up.
People that never checked it out during first run and who don't pay attention to the state of the series are going to be very disappointed if they spend $ on 3 seasons of a show that's left "hung" out in the breeze.
Leaving the audience hanging simply taints everything else that was good about a series - Ultimately unsatisfying. Never understand why you'd shoot yourself in the foot that way.
Fine, the bottom line is money . . . But I think they ultimately stand to make more $ with a satisfying series that people tell all their friends about.

- tb

#629 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Tim, I couldn't agree more about the DVD sales. I have never picked up Deadwood on DVD for that very reason. Why watch the show again? This kind of thing does put me off from watching new shows on any channel though. Because you just don't know if some favorite new show is going to be axed in the second or third season.

#630 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

Not to get too far off point but Jouneyman was a pretty good series with Kevin McKidd, it got better every week.
Cool concept and enjoyable. They found out they were getting canceled midway though the first season. That sucks. As a fan I was disappointed, but it just wasn't getting the ratings the network had hoped for.
Still, the heads-up gave the writers a chance to wrap the show up properly and they did it well, making that single season pretty enjoyable.
It's just one season, but very worth picking up on DVD considering they finished off the show.

Cable TV series' are a wonderful thing at their best, the higher production values, the fact they don't have to adhere to the normal safe programming, etc . . .
It'd just be nice if networks like HBO could back their series' the whole way. Just have the nuts to make a decision on the show's fate while the thing is still in production.
Or like Mike V mentioned, just add ONE more sweet 90 minute episode to finish things off with an appropriate ending.

- TB

#631 Esco

Esco

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Reading/Writing, Music, Film, Art of any kind. The Truth. Alan Watts. John Trudell.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

Y'know when the show's not making the numbers they want it to it should be a given that they make sure the writers have an out to wrap things up cleanly in short order and hopefully, in the Networks interest alone, to re-coup some of that cash with the DVD's. It's almost common sense and at this point you think they would be thinking ahead. And of course we, the fans. never really enter into the beancounters theories, to say nothing of the creative people busting their nuts to create something special. It's all about $$$$. It's depressing.

Goddamn I loved Deadwood.

#632 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,335 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

A 90-minute HUNG final episode -- perfect idea!

There are too many shows that have been wrongfully cancelled. A show gets cancelled, then the DVD set includes “unaired episodes.” At least, HUNG got to have a full third season. That is, if 10 episodes counts as a full season (it doesn’t really).

I can’t get over Arrested Development. Let’s see. It was on for 3 seasons, then got cancelled. Now, there’s going to be a movie, & the show’s returning with new episodes, just not on FOX. This just goes to show that it should've been on longer.

24 got cancelled but still managed to have a great series finale. Now, I'm waiting for the movie.

Viewers deserve closure with a show, but that doesn’t mean we want everything to be wrapped up quickly. For example, The OC. I don’t know if any of you watched this show. I’m guessing most of you didn’t. The writers knew that the 4th season would be its last while writing the 4th season. They sped up the characters’ lives & rushed a good season’s worth of episodes into 1 “series finale.” Too much. Too fast. Even with a heads up, there’s not a justified ending to the series.

NBC got rid of Fear Factor, & now it’s back. So yeah, TV’s pretty unpredictable.

But let’s look on the bright side. Even if HUNG fans don’t get to have a satisfying ending, THOMAS JANE STARRED ON A TV SHOW!!! That in itself is spectacular. B)

#633 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

One of the other network shows that got the shaft recently was Fox's Lie To Me, with Tim Roth.
Really dug that show. After season 2, Fox picked up 13 more episodes for season 3.
And after those 13 episodes it just abruptly ENDED. No closure, nothing about the fate of the Lightman Group, it just ended with a one-off episode that left the series dangling.
Fox canceled the series on May 10, 2011. The End. No End.

That's bullshit.

Weird thing is, they knew they were being picked up for only a guaranteed 13 episodes . . .
I guess they were fairly sure they'd have the opportunity to wind up the series somewhere along the way with additional episodes, but that opportunity never came.
There was a great through-line story underneath all of the one-offs that we'll always be left to wonder about.
One day they're in production and the next day everyone's looking for work.
I really hate that.

When you follow a show for two and a half years, and then it abruptly ends the way Lie To Me did, it's a pretty shitty pill to swallow.

- TB

#634 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,335 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

Tim, it’s ridiculous how much I miss Lie to Me*, which is one of my favorite shows. On the 3rd season DVD set, it actually calls it “the complete third and final season.” It’s like they added that to make people understand it’s really not coming back. If I owned a network with a series starring Tim Roth, I’d treat the show like gold & give it its deserving respect. FOX is a cancellation-happy network.

Maybe it'd be nice for the writers of these cancelled shows to say how they would've wanted their series to end in order to give us some idea. Or have many of them already done that?

#635 joyce ford

joyce ford

DeathSpider Pupa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:I love cooking, gardening reading stephen king books. And am a supporter of breast cancer awareness and the alzheimer awareness funds.I also like to go to clubs to dance when I have the chance to.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

When I first heard of this show coming out and who was the leading man. I thought Thomas Jane thee Thomas Jane from punisher I thought no way. But it was him. I watched all 3 seasons but was upset when they cancelled it and left us hanging. I don't understand why when you have a good show going with a 3 time golden globe nominee in it you want to cancel it.

#636 lochtessmonster

lochtessmonster

DeathSpider Embryo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:comics, linux, writing, ukulele, singing, rockabilly, traditional country, american roots music, backyard chickens, gardening, travel, tikis, mcm clothes, mcm decor, mcm landscaping, mcm architecture, history

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

- tb

At least we got a Firefly film. So Fox can totally suck it. I'm still totally ashamed that poor Joss had to keep doing Buffy. Ugh. I don't care what anyone says, Buffy and Angel were a sham.

But I would love to see Timothy Olyphant reprise his Deadwood character. I think we were forced to swallow the remake of True Grit in consolation. Mind you, I think Jeff Bridges was a fabulous Rooster Cogburn. Matt Damon doesn't wow me.

Hung and Bored to Death were pretty much the only reasons I hung on to cable as long as I did. I think Tom was saving my marriage for a while there.
"My magic lasso will catch this banana missle before it does any damage!"

#637 Jen

Jen

RAW Keeper of the Faith

• Old Guard
  • 1,766 posts
  • Interests:Ummm...Tom Jane - oh, and music.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Hung, Season 3, on DVD and BluRay on September 4th in USA:

"HBO Video and distributor Warner Home Video have today announced that the final season of the show, Hung - The Complete 3rd Season, is coming to Blu-ray Disc and DVD on September 4th."

http://www.tvshowson...-Season-3/17057

Jen
Thomas Jane 2 Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo..../Thomas_Jane_2/
All Tom - all the time - photos, news, more!

Delusions Of Adequacy
http://www.adequacy.net/
Jen Stratosphere Fanzine - music writer

#638 joyce ford

joyce ford

DeathSpider Pupa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:I love cooking, gardening reading stephen king books. And am a supporter of breast cancer awareness and the alzheimer awareness funds.I also like to go to clubs to dance when I have the chance to.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hung, Season 3, on DVD and BluRay on September 4th in USA:

"HBO Video and distributor Warner Home Video have today announced that the final season of the show, Hung - The Complete 3rd Season, is coming to Blu-ray Disc and DVD on September 4th."

http://www.tvshowson...-Season-3/17057

Jen

Well I will definately be getting it. Already have the first 2 seasons.

#639 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

Of course, HUNG Season 3 has to come out after my birthday. I can't help but still be curious about how HBO will package (if they will even do this) HUNG: THE (​​in)COMPLETE SERIES. They usually like to make the big box set fancy or relating to the show somehow.

#640 Jen

Jen

RAW Keeper of the Faith

• Old Guard
  • 1,766 posts
  • Interests:Ummm...Tom Jane - oh, and music.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'm not sure if there's more info about the September 4th release of Hung, Season 3, on DVD and BluRay, but here ya go:

http://www.dailyblam...d-september-4th

Jen
Thomas Jane 2 Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo..../Thomas_Jane_2/
All Tom - all the time - photos, news, more!

Delusions Of Adequacy
http://www.adequacy.net/
Jen Stratosphere Fanzine - music writer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users