• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:18 PM

I thought I saw a thread going where Tim asked for suggestions as what to read. I thought this would be a cool thread to start, because I too am looking for suggestion for good books, and I know a lot of the guys at work have the same problem. Here are two:

Plainclthes Naked by Jerry Stahl. Darkly funny book about a detective trying to track down a pic of the presidents tatooed testicals.

The Contortionists Handbook by Craig Clevenger. This one's about a document forger being held on suspicion of comiting suiced and has to talk his way out of being locked up, all the while the mob is looking for him.

That's all for now. What do you fine folks have?

#2 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Graphic Design, Production Design, Film Scores, Film.

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:14 PM

This is actually an art book, but there is plenty to read in it as well.

I HIGHLY recommend "James Bama - American Realist"

I've been waiting forever to get my hands on a collection of Bama's paperback book covers, Doc Savage, western's by Louis L'Amour, Zane Grey, etc . . . The classic Aurora Monster model kit boxes . . . Oh my God. I have a wonderful leather-bound, wooden slipcase edition of "The Western Art Of James Bama" which I've had for years and it's one of my treasures. But what I've always really wanted was the adventure stuff. I was born too late to be in on the whole Doc Savage phenomenon. I've only ever seen about a dozen of the 68 covers he did in the series, even have some lithographs, but this book has got it ALL. Man it's a wonder to behold. If you are an artist, believe me, you cannot live without this book.

You can get it here -------> http://budplant.com/product.asp?pn=JMH

An absolute STEAL in hardcover for $35.00

Be the best money you ever spent.

The work speaks for itself.

- TB

#3 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:04 AM

Anyone know of any good books on guns? Sad to say, I'm not up to all the names on weapons as I'd like to be. I'm guessing with all the Punisher fans out there someone must have a "gun bible".

#4 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:22 AM

Your best bet is to pick up one of those "Gun Annual" magazines, from a grocery store, or even subscribe online. They include pics, specs, and even pricing of many modern weapons, and antique replicas. Great resource.

Otherwise, I believe there is an actual "Gun Bible" published yearly in hardcover as well.

You can also considr subs to Guns and Ammo, Handgunner, American Rifleman, etc.

Here is a book Andy gave me:

The Killer Angels
http://en.wikipedia....e_Killer_Angels

Joss Whedon has said more than once that this book inspired firefly and serenity!

#5 irish46

irish46

pencil butcher

• Old Guard
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:horror, zombies, westerns, action, adventure, zombies, comics, zombies, movies, tv, zombies, reading, hanging out with my brother Noeland...did I say zombies?

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

To anybody who loves to read, loves history, loves tales of heroism and of sacrifice...?

Then you will love, The Killer Angels, Gods and Generals and The last full measure.

Silly me, I just assumed most people have read these...sorta like Fellowship of the ring, Two Towers and the return of the king...I'm assuming everybody read those as well...?

don't get me wrong, I ain't comparing the father and son team of Shaara to J.R.R. Tolkien, That guys on an altar all by himself.

#6 Proteus_Crow

Proteus_Crow

He put the "Mud" in Mud Whistle

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:38 AM

I second Timbo's recommendation of the James Bama book - definitely a must have volume. Got it last Christmas and enjoyed the hell out of it.
I'd also suggest The Future was FAB: The Art of Mike Trim here:
http://fabgearusa.co..._trim_book.html
Fun read and lots of kick ass futuristic design.
Buy a copy - I know the writer could use the money.
wink.gif

#7 Bruce

Bruce

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:06 AM

Not a book reccomendation, but just a quick question. When I saw that Doc Savage pic,
I swear when I was a kid, I saw a Doc Savage movie? Was there one or do I just have
weekend lag? ha!

#8 irish46

irish46

pencil butcher

• Old Guard
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:horror, zombies, westerns, action, adventure, zombies, comics, zombies, movies, tv, zombies, reading, hanging out with my brother Noeland...did I say zombies?

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:21 AM

yeah,in 1975, Doc was played by the then TV Tarzan, Ron Ely...really bad flick man.

#9 THOMAS LOGAN

THOMAS LOGAN

4 months to go...

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:50 AM

Here's somethin to read, the questions for TJ thread comments that took place this afternoon and is still in the process. I did about 200 situps throughout the whole thing - replying during breaks.
-TL

#10 _C_

_C_

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:02 AM

for zombie love
guns
and a swift kick to the balls...
everything from Brian Keene.

unscarred by trials

#11 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Graphic Design, Production Design, Film Scores, Film.

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

Aww man, the sucky thing about that Doc Savage movie was that it was supposed to be a big budget, great director thing.
They had everything together and were about to start filming when there was a power shift at the studio. The old regime was out and a new regime entered.
As a result, the new guys decided to squash many of the projects the old guard had in place or fast tracked for production.
Most of this was just plain old SPITE, and a few very interesting projects got their asses kicked as a result.
One of those projects was Doc Savage. In a nutshell the new guys dropped the budget to almost nothing and funneled that money to their own projects.
What was supposed to be something GREAT ended up being something fairly forgettable.
Obviously this was before the internet, so the general public never really knew the story behind this.
Fans were simply left with a somewhat silly treatment that could not even pretend to be what they had originally envisioned.

Yet another example of corporate greed at work.

- tb

#12 irish46

irish46

pencil butcher

• Old Guard
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(Tim Bradstreet @ Oct 9 2007, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aww man, the sucky thing about that Doc Savage movie was that it was supposed to be a big budget, great director thing.
They had everything together and were about to start filming when there was a power shift at the studio. The old regime was out and a new regime entered.
As a result, the new guys decided to squash many of the projects the old guard had in place or fast tracked for production.
Most of this was just plain old SPITE, and a few very interesting projects got their asses kicked as a result.
One of those projects was Doc Savage. In a nutshell the new guys dropped the budget to almost nothing and funneled that money to their own projects.
What was supposed to be something GREAT ended up being something fairly forgettable.
Obviously this was before the internet, so the general public never really knew the story behind this.
Fans were simply left with a somewhat silly treatment that could not even pretend to be what they had originally envisioned.
Yet another example of corporate greed at work.

- tb

You know, I don't remember much about the movie, except I was dissapointed and I hated it. Seems like I recall it coming off as one of those made for TV movies with a god awefull soundtrack.

It takes a really bad movie for me to not go back and revisit it. (Mostly cause I like really bad movies if their heart is in the right place.) But somehow I've got it filed away in my head as in the same catagory as the old Dr. Strange movie, which I think came out in like 76 or 77? ANyway it never really peeked my interest to go back and view it again.

#13 Bruce

Bruce

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:43 AM

I never knew that about the Doc Savage movie, but I do remember seeing it
at the theater! ha!

#14 Guest_FADoss_*

Guest_FADoss_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:16 AM

A few books...

"A Game Of Thrones" by George RR Martin is the BEST fantasy series EVER...Hands down. Recently optioned by HBO. Also, Tim, GRRM lives in Santa Fe.

"World War Z" and "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks. A must for zombiephiles like me.

"Crooked Little Vein" by Warren Ellis. Leaves you feeling filthy, overly educated on all the dark recesses of the human psyche and strangely entertained.

Frederic Doss

#15 Rivers2.0

Rivers2.0

Mud Whistle

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:22 PM

horror fans! read darkfall by stephan laws! british so i don't think you americans would know. find it though! tim! i order (sorry) to read it and draw the monsters! please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users