Red Sky Diary

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Graphic Design, Production Design, Film Scores, Film.

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:15 AM

Well I think this is certainly a best case scenario outcome for "all good things to those who wait".
Had I tried to do RSD back around the time I'd originally conceived it, or even in that first 10 years it would be another animal almost entirely.
Over the years the story has slowly come together. Like a good whiskey it needed to age.
I've had aborted start-ups before with other collaborators . . . as far back as Steve Niles back in the early 90's all the way to going 'round the bend with Todd Farmer on a possible screenplay a few years ago. The project always evolves.

I've still got screenplay very much in mind but first thing is first, get it out there, establish it as it's own entity, hopefully gain a larger following.
At the beginning of this thread I spoke of the "current" possibilities as they were in September of 2007, that too has evolved.
At the time I was working with Todd Farmer, and that had much pleasure. Before we got very far into sussing out a full cohesive story Todd was called away to get paid on something wink.gif
I too, slowly turned my attention to more immediate concerns and there went RSD, over to the back-burner as it has so often done in the past wink.gif
Well that's OK, the back-burner has long been my friend, there are a few sweet projects warming there even now.

But the issue here is RED SKY DIARY.
Things were rekindled a few months ago when I decided to work more on personal illustration (which I hadn't made time for in a loooong while).
I also tapped into another idea I've had brewing since the early 90's - Creating illustrations and then having writers take that and write a story around them, the normal creative process in reverse. I have a nice handful of those illustrations waiting in the on deck circle for that particular project. The idea was to have an RSD story (indeed, the opening act of my proposed film adaptation) act as the anchor for that book. I'd do 2 full page illustrations (not 1, as with the other stories) for the RSD entry which would also feature a slightly more expanded story than the rest.
All I needed was a writing partner . . .

Enter Mark Hosack.
I'd bounced some stuff off Mark about RSD in the past and he seemed to have a good grasp of what I was attempting to do with the material.
Farmer being way too busy to pick up where we left off I fired it at Mark, asked him if he'd want to write the short story with me for the illustration book (still no title wink.gif
Mark and I hit it off from the get-go. He was very interested.
We began the journey together and have had some great chemistry. The farther we went with the skull/spit-ball sessions the more I realized having an RSD story as only a part of another book was not going to do it justice. Wouldn't be fair to relegate a chapter of this sweeping, epic story to the pages of a collection regardless of the quality of the other material.

So to get you up to speed here's where things sit.
Mark and I are planning a Red Sky Diary novel, the story of Gallows, though not a biography. It's all about the latest events of his life that lead him into the final leg of his Clan's journey, the crescendo to 700 years of open war against the Mudir. Mark and I are writing it as a novel, but that novel is two-fold. There will be two versions, the novel itself with a few illustrations (or not), and an oversized (coffee table style) ILLUSTRATED version. Then we see what the cards hold for us. Currently we're in the midst of making a deal with the right literary publisher.

So for you few who care to seek out RSD and populate this thread -
Here's a preview of some of the art, definitely the direction the illustrations will take. This is the latest, greatest vision for the character.
The first illustration was planned as the "Entre Act", opening illustration for the unnamed illustrated book. The second as the rear bookend illustration.
These will now be part of Red Sky Diary: A Tale Of The Mudir Hunters.
All of the full pagers will feature captions, selected passages from the text which have relevance to the image.
Here's a taste -

Precipice

Caption: "He scorned concealment and strode the rugged battlements ready to smite the foul reeking beasts. All veneer of civilization fell away, lost with the souls of his dearest blood.
That which was left him was primitive hatred, rage consumed, he was a merciless savage from a darker age."

Aftermath

Caption forthcoming.

I'll update as much as I can as we move forward.

- Tim

#22 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:22 AM

Cant' wait to hear the updates. I was just re-reading the chapter with RSD in Archetype last night. So, are you keeping the Mudir under wraps (ala Alien), or will we see them sometime in the near future?

EDIT: The book idea with Mark sounds amazing. I hope we get to see both forms.

#23 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:49 AM

There are varying distillations of The Mudir.
There are pure blood Mudir (original creatures), and then there are Mudir Hybrids, their 'children'.

The Mudir are as varied as the human race, from the beginning genus - protohuman, to the higher evolved of the species.
There are different classifications/subspecies, from feral, to the more evolved thinking predator.
Some, the 'low borns' are almost more animal than human, they're some savage, bloodthirsty motherfuckers.
Those are my favorite wink.gif

Best not to reveal more than that for now.
Suffice to say there will be some supremely cool as shit creatures to conceptualize wink.gif

- tb

#24 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,369 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:39 AM

I love reading novels. And I think that the novel needs to contain illustrations. While reading, it would allow the reader to picture in his or her mind what you have visualized for it.

#25 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE (Tim Bradstreet @ Feb 15 2010, 04:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Suffice to say there will be some supremely cool as shit creatures to conceptualize wink.gif

- tb

I wouldn't expect anything less wink.gif

#26 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

I'm going to find it very difficult not to show all of the new artwork to you bunch.
Working on some new ones as we speak and I'm just so fucking excited.
This is the kind of shit I'd do every day of my life if I could actually afford to support myself doing it.
Guess I'll have to hope and pray that the material ends up striking a chord and can set me up.

Who am I kidding? I've been doing RSD for free for 20 years.
This plan goes nowhere and I'll still be doing them for free 20 years from now wink.gif

- tb

#27 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,369 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:33 AM

QUOTE (Tim Bradstreet @ Feb 16 2010, 04:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to find it very difficult not to show all of the new artwork to you bunch.
- tb

Show us whatever you can reveal.

#28 SonOfTheDark

SonOfTheDark

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Books, Comics, Soccer, Games

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

So, I guess this was the story that Mark mentioned in our interview. Nice!
They say most of your brain shuts down in cryo-sleep. All but the primitive side, the animal side... no wonder I'm still awake. - Riddick in "Pitch Black"

#29 Mark Hosack

Mark Hosack

Honored RAW Brother-In-Arms

• Old Guard
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

I'm excited to be a part of this and hope we can do justice to these illustrations. Tim's really woven a huge tapestry of a story here. To really do it right, the story struck me first and foremost as a novel -- it's not just a concept, it's an epic saga -- Something that could use 100,000 words, not just 90 minutes of screen time.

Now if I can just manage to not screw it up...

Mark

#30 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

Hosack is now fully christened here in the hallowed halls . . .
We suckered him out of the Malone thread!

Mark, an official welcome aboard the Red Sky Diary train.
Time to make sweet music.

- TB

#31 JAn

JAn

Mud Whistle

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE (Tim Bradstreet @ Feb 16 2010, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who am I kidding? I've been doing RSD for free for 20 years.
This plan goes nowhere and I'll still be doing them for free 20 years from now wink.gif

I think that right there is why it's gonna kick arse. When people with an abundance of talent produce their passion project, the results are usually pretty spectacular. Looking forward to seeing this develop more and more.

#32 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

Damn. Now those are some updates.

Thank you! smile.gif

I have no doubt you guys are going to create a great novel.

I just hope that creating a sequential story of some kind to go along with all this hasn't been abandoned.

#33 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

Sequential adaptations are by no means abandoned wink.gif
It's simply too big a job for me to take on at this time.
The hope is that we can ESTABLISH the RED SKY DIARY story first, let that open the doors to the rest.

More Novels - There's a whole line of prequel novels in the plans beginning with Red Sky Diary: Book 1 - Progenitor

Comics - I won't be drawing all of these but like Mike Mignola with Hellboy, I'll be hand picking the artists that will.
I'll contribute here and there, with illustrations or inking or taking on bookend, shorter sequential bits.
I'll be doing ALL the covers wink.gif

Film - The ultimate goal is to get Red Sky on the silver screen intact, not a formulaic piece of dogshit.
A serious, realistic DRAMATIC adventure film that happens to have very horrific elements.
To do that we must establish the tone with the above mentioned incarnations.

The dream would be to see the adventure unfold from the beginning in 1286AD, as a high production value mini series, ala Rome, Band Of Brothers, etc . . .
That would take us up to date, to Gallows, which would be planned as a film.

- TB

#34 kwiat_skye

kwiat_skye

Framling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:46 AM

Question: On the myspace page, Gallows is described as having black hair, but in the last pic posted on your FB page, his hair looks lighter. Did you change that about him? Or do my eyes deceive me?
`..`.><((((>. `..

#35 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

Truth be told, the painting you are referring to is actually an "underpainting". As such it's not truly a finished version so the hair you are looking at is in an unfinished state.
I like the piece so much as an underpainting that I decided to leave it in that state.

Underpainting is a method many oil painters use to create a base from which to paint over.
It's essentially an "oil wash", done monotoned. It sets the tone of the piece for those that prefer to work from dark to light.

- TB

#36 kwiat_skye

kwiat_skye

Framling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

Thanks TB. I don't know anything about this art stuff, so whenever you explain something, it illuminates me. smile.gif
`..`.><((((>. `..

#37 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:41 AM

The Red Sky Diary Facebook fan page just went live.

Please step inside - http://www.facebook....58000277?ref=mf

- tb

#38 SonOfTheDark

SonOfTheDark

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Books, Comics, Soccer, Games

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:26 AM

I'm in wink.gif
They say most of your brain shuts down in cryo-sleep. All but the primitive side, the animal side... no wonder I'm still awake. - Riddick in "Pitch Black"

#39 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:01 AM

Thanks SOTD wink.gif

Unveiling a new Gallows piece here.
You guys get a sneak peak before I post it to FB Monday.

Al Sayyid, Gallows - The Red Storm

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

- TB

#40 xNLx

xNLx

Mr. Sparkle

• Old Guard
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:08 AM

Really digging using your use of simple black strokes to frame your work lately, along with them fading into white crosshatching. I'm guessing the stroke to frame was done separately and added in photoshop, or did you cover up Gallows with some scrap paper to get the look of one fluid motion?
"There's two types of people,
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig.
YOU DIG."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users