• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

Months back, I was running into my LCS to pick up some books (literally. One fo the girls got sick kid and it's an hour from home) and a book caught my eye. The image was so stunning, I had to pick it up. The book was called Monocyte. If you get a chance, I highly recomend it. I'm really looking forward the the oversized trade coming out in July. He also has a band called Saltillo, and I recomend checking that out too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Esco

Esco

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Reading/Writing, Music, Film, Art of any kind. The Truth. Alan Watts. John Trudell.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

Cool stuff.

#3 Padre

Padre

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:20 AM

Looks pretty cool alright. The artwork reminds me of Giger a little bit.

#4 jayesse8

jayesse8

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 648 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

Indeed, very cool and Giger-esque.

#5 AdminGuyX

AdminGuyX

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

NICE.

#6 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

It's funny you mention Giger. This was one of the blurbs for Monocyte, and probably my favorite blurb of all time for any book: -”MONOCYTE is like Deadwood being sodomized by HR Giger in a cathedral, as narrated by Tom Waits.” – BEN TEMPLESMITH

#7 Esco

Esco

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Reading/Writing, Music, Film, Art of any kind. The Truth. Alan Watts. John Trudell.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

I'm buying it.

#8 Mike V

Mike V

Jaded? Angry? Or just sick of the bullshit?

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

If that's not a glowing recomendation, I don't know waht is.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

#9 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,319 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

Menton3 & Ben Templesmith are both attending HorrorHound Weekend Sept. 7-9, 2012 in Indianapolis, Indiana
http://www.horrorhou...9/default.shtml

#10 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

Long story short, I fell into some money I did not have. Not a lot, but a nice chunk.  Most of it went to savings (trying to save for a down payment for a house) but I used some to achive something I've always wanted to do, commission a piece of art. After months of waiting, it is finally here, and I found out that it is going to be used as a varriant cover for Memory Collectors due out October 30.

1381478_10201818653204986_1444057490_n.j

Attached Files

#11 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,319 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

Long story short, I fell into some money I did not have. Not a lot, but a nice chunk.  Most of it went to savings (trying to save for a down payment for a house) but I used some to achive something I've always wanted to do, commission a piece of art. After months of waiting, it is finally here, and I found out that it is going to be used as a varriant cover for Memory Collectors due out October 30.

attachicon.gifmemorycollectors.jpg

Congrats, John!! Now, that's quite an accomplishment worth feeling proud about! :D 

But I wasn't able to download those images. 

#12 jayesse8

jayesse8

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 648 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

That is a fantastic piece.

How does one go about commissioning art ... do you describe what you would like to be the image, etc.?

#13 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

Most artists you can go to their web site and they have commission info.  In this case, he did not, so I just shot him an email.  I knew what his strengths were, and it was his previous art that lead me to want an original, so we worked out a price and he asked what I wanted.  I gave him a vauge descirption, playing to his strengths.  I spent weeks trying to figure out what to have done, I had a list of about 3 characters that I would have liked to have seen done, but in the end, I wanted something compleatly original and I also wanted to be surprised by not knowing what it was going to look like. Needless to say, I was very happy.

#14 AdminGuyX

AdminGuyX

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

Great story! Congrats all around John.

#15 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Ok, final picture: The painting with the comicbook.  Sad to say, but this is my first time seeing an original next to the book.  One of the things I noticed right away was the loss of color and detail.  Really makes me want to check out one of Tim's.

1459310_10202178958692398_548657184_n.jp

#16 jayesse8

jayesse8

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 648 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:08 AM

Oh, I see what you mean - stunning though, to have the real thing and imagine how good all those other cover pieces really are! Mind blowing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users