Photo

Darabont Does Noir

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mike V

Mike V

Jaded? Angry? Or just sick of the bullshit?

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

I think it's safe to assume that Jane will pop up this show, that is if it goes to full series. Here's hoping he has a better TV experience with this show than The Walking Dead.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

#2 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

This project sounds really cool. Boardwalk Empire is amazing, and with Frank on board, this could be just as good if not better.

With HUNG over, I deffinatly could see Jane taking a part in this. Or at least I'd love to see him take a part in this, but let's not leave out Tim...
Frank is good at getting cool promo art for his projects. LA Noir one-sheet, Bradstreet style? I'm down for that ;)

#3 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

Yes. Tom Jane. Frank Darabont. NOIR.

YES.

That would just be beyond cool!

#4 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,339 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

This is exciting! It should be in B & W. LA Noir is right up Tom's alley; it'd be great to see him as the lead.

I second a Bradstreet one-sheet. B)

#5 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Graphic Design, Production Design, Film Scores, Film.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

Ooooh, that'd be awesome ;)

Last month when Tom and I joined Frank for dinner he laid the whole pilot thing for LA Noir out for us.
I was tickled because I know how much Frank enjoys that genre. About 15 years ago he handed me a script for something he wrote called Stitch In Time, which he'd written several years earlier.
Fucking awesome script that he wanted to turn into a GN. Because Curtis Hanson's LA Confidential had just come out he figured, "Now it's been done."
Now Stitch is much more a genre thing than LA Confidential since it involves a sliver of Sci-Fi, but I got his point.
Now, much removed from the success of Hanson's film it looks like it's safe to jack-in to that territory once again.
Frank is a true fan of that genre so I'm very anxious to see what he's got in store ;)

- TB

#6 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

Tom would be a natural in this.
A shame that Malone wasn't a better film, or all that it could be, but it gives us a glimpse of how effective TJ could be in such a setting (even though Malone is a bit 'out of time').
Some people don't dig the narration or understand the tongue is in the cheek for a lot of that, but TJ swaggers, trips, takes a licking, and delivers some damage in the true spirit of that noirish genre he loves so much.
In the hands of Darabont? Well, the two of them together on a show like this would be a perfect match.

- Tb

#7 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

I might have to watch Touch of Evil this weekend. :) I'm feeling noir, and that is one of my favorites.

I liked a lot of Malone. TJ certainly does do his level best to stomp and shoot through that film like a true hardboiled gumshoe.

I'm very excited at the prospect of this show. And on TNT, I hope Darabont can make the show he wants to make too.

#8 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

If LA Noir gets picked up, Darabont will be show-runner, much as he had done on TWD. That's my understanding anyway.
So let's keep our fingers crossed for LA Noir. Though FD has a few other things up his sleeve if it doesn't latch on.

I liked a lot of Malone too ;) It got a couple of decent reviews but I've seen a lot of opinions that were none too kind.
The film could have really gone farther, but the studio gave up on it too soon.
It's actually a lot more complicated than that but that's the shorthand.

- tb

#9 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,339 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

STOP READING if you don't like SPOILERS (the following may count as one):

Jon Bernthal lands the lead role -- http://www.hollywood...nt-pilot-298540

I really wanted Tom to get this part, so this is a bummer for me. <_<

#10 ReCoil

ReCoil

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Movies, comics and all that jazz... I have no idea what that means.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

Tom to play Bugsy Siegel in LA Noir?
http://collider.com/...as-jane/170315/

One Nike gym bag - sixty bucks.
One Nokia cell phone - hundred bucks.
One ounce semtex - five hundred bucks.
Gettin' rid of a dirty cop - Fuckin' priceless!

#11 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

There is a new title and a trailer.  I was starting to wonder if this was going to pop up again.  I hope Tom is still in talks for getting in on this.

http://www.joblo.com...ng-jon-bernthal

#12 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

That looks DAMN GOOD. Thank you Frank!

#13 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:38 AM

Did anyone catch the 2 hour premire the other night?  I liked it quite a bit.  One thing that really stood out for me was the cast.  What an amazing group of people.  I was not a fan of Jon Bernthal on The Walking Dead.  He did good, but the character was annoying (I felt the same about the comic character too) but here, he shows just enough to want to see more.  I was not too sure about his charcter until the end, then they got me. 

Ed Burns, I love that guy.  His Bugsy is great. Can't wait to see more.

Simon Pegg, wow. Small part, but who knew he could do such a great American accent.  He nailed the weasly, low life comedian part.  I felt bad for him sweating his ass off on stage telling shitty jokes. 

I could keep going on about the cast, there were so many cool little parts.  Frank has an eye for characters and getting the right actors to fill the parts. 

As for the look of the film, well, it's noir for sure.  The one thing that I thought was pretty neat was they had the old "back lot" feel to it.  The streets were real, but the backgrounds felt a bit off.  Not that they were done horribly, but the look was that of older films with painted backgrounds.  It was a nice nostalgic touch that felt right.  It's right between Boardwalk Empire and Gangster Squad.

Really looking forward to seeing more.  I hope we get to see Tom in the upcoming seasons.   

#14 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

Afraid I'll have to wait for the DVD to see this one.  :(  

How's Robert Knepper on the show? 

#15 Mike

Mike

Loyal member of the official RAW team

• Old Guard
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

Robert Knepper was probably my favorite character on the show.

#16 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Knepper is pretty great.  The first few episodes, you kind of got a feel, but man did he shine in the last few.  I loved when he went underground to get his plan in set.  What a great character.

I have yet to hear if the show is renewed yet, anyone know?  I see the facebook page is still posting things daily.   I had heard the ratings where not what they were hoping, but I think the network needs to give them a better shot.  I loved the ads they ran, but it was a half season (6 episodes) run in three weeks.  More of a quarter season if you ask me.  I know a few people at work wanted to check it out, but they either missed it in it's three week run, or did not want to veg for 2 hours in a shot every week. 

#17 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

Robert Knepper was probably my favorite character on the show.

I have a feeling I'll share the same sentiment. 

Knepper is pretty great.  The first few episodes, you kind of got a feel, but man did he shine in the last few.  I loved when he went underground to get his plan in set.  What a great character.

I have yet to hear if the show is renewed yet, anyone know?  I see the facebook page is still posting things daily.   I had heard the ratings where not what they were hoping, but I think the network needs to give them a better shot.  I loved the ads they ran, but it was a half season (6 episodes) run in three weeks.  More of a quarter season if you ask me.  I know a few people at work wanted to check it out, but they either missed it in it's three week run, or did not want to veg for 2 hours in a shot every week. 

Isn't Knepper always? Years ago, he had me at "Hold my pocket." ;) 

I don't know if the show has been renewed, but after The Walking Dead ongoing mess, Frank Darabont needs some good news in his life.  

Do you think the ratings would've benefited had they opted to play only one episode a week? If yes, how so? (no, I don't mean to sound like an essay question...just curious for elaboration).  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users