Photo

Dark Country - The Graphic Novel

GN Grahic Novel Dark Country Thomas Jane Tim Bradstreet Thomas Ott Tab Murphy Raw Studios

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Graphic Design, Production Design, Film Scores, Film.

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:55 PM

Tom and I are proud to announce the forthcoming Graphic adaptation of Dark Country.
We're still working out the exact content beyond the art itself, and the short story by Tab Murphy.
And we're still spitballing the exact format of presentation . . .
But I can tell you it will be a hardcover book with artwork by the incomparable THOMAS OTT !!!

This was a dream come true for our own Tom Jane, as he's a huge fan of Thomas Ott's work.
I myself was not aware of Ott's work until Jane turned me on way back when the idea for this GN came into existence.
Obviously, I'm also extremely thrilled.
Here's an exclusive peek at Ott's art from the book and his famous scratch-board technique

Posted Image

Can't wait to show it all off to everyone.

We're in production as we speak. The artwork is DONE.
I'm busy doing preliminary design models, working on the cover concept, and compiling the extras we'll trim out the book with.
Even though you may know the story I guarantee you this trip will be worth the experience.

In Tom's own words, this truly IS the director's cut.
Ray Zone is even trying to talk us into doing 3D in black and white - What do you think?

So, the official breakdown is -
Dark Country - The Graphic Novel
Hardcover
Adaptation and art by Thomas Ott
Story by Tab Murphy
Produced and directed by Thomas Jane
Designed by Tim Bradstreet
Production - Marshall Dillon

We're talking about releasing it exclusively for a couple weeks as a digital download from Comicsology or something, while we're waiting to get the actual books back from our printer in Korea.
The idea there is to get the product out sooner than we could if we waited for the printing, shipping, and distribution.

More soon, including some sneak peeks at the art.

- TB

#2 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:20 AM

Looks amazing. A 3-D version would be cool. If anything, the 3-D issue of Bad Planet showed that you can still do a 3-D book without distorting the original art. I'm up for it ;)

Is the book going to be bundled with the 3-D Blue Ray, or is there going to be a seperate run, or both?

#3 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

Looks amazing. A s-D version would be cool. If anything, the 3-D issue of Bad Planet showed that you can still do a 3-D book without distorting the original art. I'm up for it ;)

Is the book going to be bundled with the 3-D Blue Ray, or is there going to be a seperate run, or both?

There won't be any bundling yet with Blu-Ray release. There is no deal that I know of for Blu-Ray transfer of DC currently. It may be on the table, TJ may know more about that.
All I know is our focus here is producing a graphic adaptation, first and foremost. A more likely scenario is that WHEN Sony finally decides to put DC out on Blue Ray and in 3D, Tom and I would love to help market that release in some way with the Dark Country Graphic Adaptation. Whether that means a mini-comic included in the DVD package or some other option remains to be seen.

Basically, there is no reason for us to wait around for Sony to release the Blu-Ray since our book is in play NOW ;) So we're not really thinking about that at present.
We just want to put out a great book and then we'll see where a cross-over might make sense when the opportunity arises. To make a long story short, I don't think that opportunity is there yet ;)

I think a 3D version of the black and white graphic adaptation would be mondo cool - BUT - I think if we do that it should be it's own thing.
There needs to be two options for purchase. Not everyone is going to want to bother with a 3D version, which would only attract more of a niche audience.
Would be cool to do a limited version, like 3-500 copies in 3D, but that's also a luxury because obviously that kind of production is more expensive.

We're still batting around ideas for the book design.
One thing I'm adamant about is that it must be OVERSIZED ;)
Like a Graphic ALBUM!

- TB

#4 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

Oversized, YES!

Love how Bad Planet looks in oversized b&w, and this would look amazing too. It's nice when you can take in all the little details.

#5 Skinny_Rabbit

Skinny_Rabbit

Mud Whistle

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

Wow, looks good great, i always liked the black and white drawings better than the colored ones, also.

#6 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,390 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

In 3D? Awesome! That's gonna look amazing! I don't know if it's too soon to tell, but how much would you say this Graphic Novel will be?

#7 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

I hate to gush, but I may love the GN more than the film. That is saying something since I love the film so much. ;)

#8 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

And it's a different animal too as it's based on Tab's short story.
Ott's artwork is simply off the hook cool too.

Not sure at all yet whether we'll do a 3D version. Depends on some things. Ray Zone wants to do it though ;)
Also not sure of price yet. But figure that over-sized, hard cover, it'll probably be in the $29.95-ish range.
Perhaps less expensive.
It's a black and white book and the page count should be significantly lower than the Bad Planet oversized trade edition, so if we can keep it inexpensive you can bet your index finger that we WILL.

- TB

#9 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

And it's a different animal too as it's based on Tab's short story.

Cool. That's a great idea.

Ott's artwork is simply off the hook cool too.

Yeah, it's crazy good. I had not heard of him before Tom turned us all on to his work, but the woodcut/scratchboard style of art has always been inspirational for me, and I just love it.

Not sure at all yet whether we'll do a 3D version. Depends on some things.

I'd probably go for the regular old 2D version anyway. It's not that I don't love a good 3D experience, I just love a good old 2D black and white comic story.

;)

#10 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,390 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for giving me a possible price range, Tim! Whether it's in 2D or 3D, I'm still gonna want it. :D

If it isn't in 3D, maybe it could come w/ a mini 3D poster (& then the price just went up). ;) That'd be cool.

#11 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Just got a gander at all of Ott's art and it's freaking crazy stunning.
That scratchboard style is off the hook!

I'm also a bit giddy 'cause I worked up a cover design for the book on a whim and TJ loved it so we sent it to Ott to see if he'd do it in his style.
He DID!

It's freaking stunning. Will show it off soon.

ALSO - Here's a awesomely informative write-up on Dark Country's screening at the Castro Theater in San Fran in November.
Really great read. Posting in the Dark Country film thread as well.

Check it out, wall-to-wall Thomas Jane - posted December 31st - http://theeveningcla...nversation.html

- TB

#12 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Tim, if this was posted before I apologize, but is there a release date for the book yet?

#13 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

Tim, if this was posted before I apologize, but is there a release date for the book yet?

We'll have the book designed and laid out by month's end, at which point we're going to release digitally through Comixology and will be doing some extra promo for that release.
While that's happening we'll have the book at Tri-Vision in Korea, being printed. We're not going to do a ton of them, likely around 2000 books, tops.

So if we can stick to our timeline, digital readers may be able to grab it as early as February.
Hard copies will probably be available through our store by March/April.
We'll likely solicit the book through Diamond as well but as a niche book I doubt we'll do big numbers there.
And it will honestly feel good to offer it through Diamond as the third tier of availability. They've had a stranglehold on the industry for far too long.
It's nice to have options ;)

We'll most certainly have the book available at Comicon 2012 - where you can get it signed by Tom and maybe Ott if he comes over for the big show.

I'll have more solid dates soon, but there's the ballpark!

- TB

#14 xNLx

xNLx

Mr. Sparkle

• Old Guard
  • 456 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

I can be down with getting a copy. Nice to see Raw putting out some books again, too much of a dry spell going there.
"There's two types of people,
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig.
YOU DIG."

#15 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

Well what really sucks is that we had the perfect artist working on Bad Planet II, and precisely 22 pages into it he let us know he couldn't do it all.
At the time we were stunned. It happened again, as with Lewis LaRosa on the first series we suddenly found ourselves having to replace an artist.

Since that time we've been trying to find the right guy to take over. But then something interesting happened and now we're talking about a whole new ballgame.
Greg Staples agreed to do another issue so we're going to get 2 issues out of him, two from another guy, and two from a third artist.
We're thinking about releasing them in THREE 44 page prestige format books instead of the traditional 6-issue mini series.

OK, so BP2 stalled . . .

Next project we had on the slate was The Lycan. After searching and searching and searching, we finally found our guy, Liam Sharp. We were all set to go into actual production. Liam was working on his 4th page when he received a call that changed his life . . . The side project he'd been developing with his several partners had found it's backing. Major backing. Major life change. Liam had the opportunity of a lifetime. How could we really react? We supported him in his decision, but there we were once again. ANOTHER artist had bailed on us!

Beginning to see a trend? NO, we're not poison, artist are just FLAKES ;)

So anyway, we moved directly towards scratching an itch Tom had since before we went into production on Dark Country (the film).
Now that's done so we finally got one in the can! (don't take that the wrong way).

Now the good news here is that after about 6 months of searching and trying out potential artists, we FINALLY found the right guy to take The Lycan by the fucking horns.
His name is Sean, but more on that later. He fucking rocks. I'll be showing some of his samples as soon as we start getting in work on the first issue.
Love his stuff and this baby is right up his alley. Script by Mike Carey, and colors by Grant Goleash. It's going to be fucking badass.

We hope to have an issue or two out for Comicon this summer, though we're still discussing final format.

Dry spell for sure. But we're about to come out shooting.

- TB

#16 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

Does the delay suck, yeah. No arguments there. But I will give you two credit, you get the job done right. As much as I cringe when I see you hit a road bump, in the end I know you are not going to compromise on quality.

As for format, I'm down for 3, 44-page books. The only down side to that though is I loved the line up of artists you had on the covers for vol. 1. We'd get shorted 3 covers. I supposed there is always the pin-up collections they used to do in the back ;)

#17 xNLx

xNLx

Mr. Sparkle

• Old Guard
  • 456 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:58 AM

Awesome! Looks like Raw might FINALLY be the talk of the town. The books that you've come out with have all been ace, and I kind of like Bad Planet becoming almost an anthology with different artists. That's sort of what it became with the first series. I still don't know how IDW fucked up so bad on the promotion of Shock Festival though. That was easily the best produced book I bought all that damn year.

Also, 'Street, I like to think I predicted their Artist Edition books when I suggested some prints from you that looks just like the original art ;) Did you ever see the photos I tweeted since I finally got my lazy ass to properly frame them?
YOU DIG."

#18 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Checking in with a sneak peek at the cover wrap for Dark Country - And some updates . . .

First, here's the 'in progress' cover - Not final - Still some things to suss out with back cover and still have to add the flavor text/blurb, etc.
But this is pretty dang close.
Posted Image

Now for the update.
Here's the poop.

Dark Country GN will debut in digital format exclusively on comixology in MAY.
The hardcover print version will debut at San Diego Comicon in JULY, and should hit comic shop shelves soon after.
If you want to order through your retailer we'll be providing that order info asap.
Otherwise, the book should be available through the RAW Store soon after comicon, if not before.

No news yet on cover price but it will be affordable.

Dark Country GN will also sport an extras section with illustrations, concept art, storyboards, and photos from the production.
As mentioned, the sequential art will play 'silent'. This storytelling device is native to the technique of Thomas Ott, something his fans are quite familiar with.
Tab Murphy's short story follows the sequential section. There is also an intro, a forward, and an afterword from Thomas Jane, Ray 3-D Zone, and film noir GOD, Eddie Muller.

Make your plans for San Diego now as Tom and I will both be on hand signing the Dark Country GN! We'll also have copies of the film on DVD handy for purchase and signing.
Those DVD's will feature all new sleeves featuring my two poster designs! If you can't make SDCC, those DVD's will be available through our store in August.

- TB

#19 xNLx

xNLx

Mr. Sparkle

• Old Guard
  • 456 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:31 AM

The cover is shaping up very cool. Moody. My interest is definitely peaked.
YOU DIG."

#20 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Was very fun getting to art direct the cover design. I'd done a mock-up of the skull/moth design and we sent it to Thomas to see what he thought.
He loved it and knocked out 3 different versions. The other two versions will be printed in the book as end papers.
Still mucking around with back cover design but as soon as it's finalized I'll post it here.

Finally in 2012 we've got new stuff coming out!
DC GN, The first double-issue installment of Bad Planet Vol2 by Greg Staples, and The Lycan sometime in Nov/Dec.
More good shit on the way.

- TB

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GN, Grahic Novel, Dark Country, Thomas Jane, Tim Bradstreet, Thomas Ott, Tab Murphy, Raw Studios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users