• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Padre

Padre

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:32 PM

FOX are putting together a pilot for a Punisher TV show. Im not too crazy about the premise though: http://ie.tv.ign.com.../1210329p1.html

What do you guys think?

#2 Raffi

Raffi

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Comic books, Weightlifting, Eating, Acting, Stunts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

Was just gonna post on this....

While I love the idea of a Punisher series... I think it's terrible to do it on FOX. It should be something on HBO or Showtime. Also, the premise of him being a detective by day and vigilante by night is fuckin stupid. It's gonna probably fail and make people never have faith in a successful film/tv adaptation of the character.

If they do it like Brian Michael Bendis' story on how Frank was a cop, that would work. But not cop by day, Punisher by night. That's silly.

But then again, watch it be something big and people love it, but I'll be disappointed because people would lack the understanding of the character's real story. If his family doesn't die in front of him, it takes away from the character. They might as well keep the story and name it something else.

-Raf

#3 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

I can see them wanting to change him from being a 'Nam vet to something current. I get that. The whole Dexter angle I don't get, it's just stupid. If this is what they want to do, I'd rather it falls apart in development.

Some one do it right! It's not that hard to do, but I guess it's too much for a fan to ask for.

#4 kwiat_skye

kwiat_skye

Framling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

I'm interested to see what they come up with for casting.  I can see where the premise would have to be a little different for a TV show.  Really, it sounds more like someone came up with an idea for a show and they're tacking it with The Punisher name to draw y'all in.
`..`.><((((>. `..

#5 Raffi

Raffi

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (JWeber @ Oct 20 2011, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can see them wanting to change him from being a 'Nam vet to something current. I get that. The whole Dexter angle I don't get, it's just stupid. If this is what they want to do, I'd rather it falls apart in development.

Some one do it right! It's not that hard to do, but I guess it's too much for a fan to ask for.

Yeah, I don't mind if a little bit of the story is fiddled with to bring him up to current times like they did with Jane, placing his Castle in Desert Storm...that's perfectly fine. At least he was a soldier and had a family that was then killed in front of him. He had a damn good reason to do what he does...

... what's this show gonna be like? A good cop who doesn't like criminals getting away with shit, so he puts on a skull tee after he clocks out and then kills whomever wasn't booked at the office? I don't like that....it sounds Daredevilish to me and I'm not big on Daredevil.

And J, you're absolutely right, it aint hard to do! He's the EASIEST character to adapt and make something good out of, but nobody wants to do it right and when the one man (Jane) wants it done right, they don't go for it.

JEEZ LOUISE!

#6 Mike V

Mike V

Jaded? Angry? Or just sick of the bullshit?

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

I'm not to worked up about this. Though I am hoping for a Wonder Woman situation, where it doesn't get past the pilot, the premise really does seem like Dexter lite.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

#7 justaguy1984

justaguy1984

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:49 AM

Why are these people so fucking stupid? Why change the formula, and why put it on shitty fox? I'll pass.

#8 Jarlath

Jarlath

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Anime, Political Activism.<br />

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (justaguy1984 @ Oct 21 2011, 06:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are these people so fucking stupid?

People believe they know what is best and what will sell.

Why change the formula

See above...

why put it on shitty fox?

Follow the money...
"Every loss of a soldier is a significant one. These great Canadians, died serving Canada and the people of Afghanistan."
Modified statement of Col. Mike Cessford, deputy commander of Canadian Forces in Afghanistan.

Canadian Shooting Sports Association (CSSA) - Regional Director, CDP Instructor, Media Correspondant
Ontario Defensive Pistol League (ODPL) - Board Member, Range Safety Officer, Competitor

#9 justaguy1984

justaguy1984

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

If this show even comes to fruition, it will either be cancelled halfway through season one, or at the end of it. It is Fox, after all. Is this April Fools day already? If he is actually still a cop, how can he get away with the kind of mass murder Frank is best known for? Or is he just going to kill one person at a time, after he shrink wraps them huh.gif

#10 Brian McQuery

Brian McQuery

RAW Brother Man - AKA Sasquatch

• Old Guard
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Filmmaking

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

This TV concept sounds horrible.

It's so easy to get this character right. It wouldn't cost $200 Million dollars. I'll never understand it.
www.brianmcquery.com

#11 Mike V

Mike V

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

I think it's because it's such a basic concept they don't know what the fuck to do. You would figure since Marvel got a hold of it, they'd get it 100% right finally.

#12 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

I think the problem is too many people have their own idea of what Punisher should be on film. I'm not even sure Marvel knows what the Punisher should be. Look at all the failed on-going series there have been. Only a few are good, and when they are good, it seems to be because they let the writer go with their instincts.

When Ennis did the MK run, it was not very good. I liked Welcome Back Frank, but from there, it was very hit and miss. Mostly miss for me. It wasn't until they let Ennis run free with MAX did we see what Punisher should be. That's what this series needs, not "family friendly standards", which I'm sure it will have.

#13 justaguy1984

justaguy1984

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 560 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (JWeber @ Oct 28 2011, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the problem is too many people have their own idea of what Punisher should be on film. I'm not even sure Marvel knows what the Punisher should be. Look at all the failed on-going series there have been. Only a few are good, and when they are good, it seems to be because they let the writer go with their instincts.

When Ennis did the MK run, it was not very good. I liked Welcome Back Frank, but from there, it was very hit and miss. Mostly miss for me. It wasn't until they let Ennis run free with MAX did we see what Punisher should be. That's what this series needs, not "family friendly standards", which I'm sure it will have.

Amen. I've given up hope on ever seeing a good punisher live action movie or tv show. I'd settle for a good animated movie right now. See how that goes.

#14 Raffi

Raffi

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

Good boy J. Good boy. The character is not fit for tv that is not HBO oriented

#15 Mike V

Mike V

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

I'm not too worried about the level of violence that the show, should it go to series is able to get away with. I mean look at something like Supernatural, that show gets away with showing a lot of gore on network TV. It's just the concept, if it was just a straight forward noir/crime series, I'd be fine with it.

They tried to do a faithful Punisher adaptation with PWZ, and technically it was, only it was shit and no one saw it. So maybe Marvel is taking a que from the other studios, since something didn't work once, it's not going to work again.

Also, the whole HBO argument has become so tired, yeah it would be great, everyone thinks it, no one needs to say it anymore.

#16 justaguy1984

justaguy1984

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 560 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (Mike V @ Oct 28 2011, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not too worried about the level of violence that the show, should it go to series is able to get away with. I mean look at something like Supernatural, that show gets away with showing a lot of gore on network TV. It's just the concept, if it was just a straight forward noir/crime series, I'd be fine with it.

They tried to do a faithful Punisher adaptation with PWZ, and technically it was, only it was shit and no one saw it. So maybe Marvel is taking a que from the other studios, since something didn't work once, it's not going to work again.

Also, the whole HBO argument has become so tired, yeah it would be great, everyone thinks it, no one needs to say it anymore.

I agree, it doesn't need to be ultra violent or full of Fucks to be good. As long the spirit of the character is caught, it would be good. I don't want a punisher that rips off Dexter. Frank takes about a dozen scumbags out a night, not in a week. Maybe they'll actually listen to the negative feedback and make it right, but very unlikely sad.gif

#17 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

Fox? FX makes more sense.

The Punisher + Dexter? Thats a great way to promote a new show--Its like this other unrelated show. rolleyes.gif

Maybe it is a prank. Or maybe its.........punishment (couldnt help myself).

#18 Mike V

Mike V

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

Well, it may not even go past the Pilot, so there's still that.

#19 Mike V

Mike V

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

Here's a question, seeing as how AKA Jessica Jones, the show based on Bendis' Alias comic is going to be within the Marvel movie continuity, could the same be said for this if does actually end up going to series?

#20 Esco

Esco

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Reading/Writing, Music, Film, Art of any kind. The Truth. Alan Watts. John Trudell.

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

I'd tune in for sure it was based on the new Jason Aaron run. I'm really enjoying the Rucka one as well. The idea of the show is cool. It's just not cool as the Punisher. But maybe he starts out this way and becomes the Punisher full time...who knows.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. If It's good, I guess yeah, that'd be cool if it rolled into the Marvel movie continuity. I couldnt care less about continuity though. It's neat, what they have going right now but it totally cant last much past Iron Man 3. Can it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users